pixeltracker

ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018- Page 3

ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#50ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/26/17 at 6:02pm

@A Canadian - that's really the only reason to go is for the "fun of it".  It will never be an important, or, maybe even, memorable night in the theater.

Five years from now, I'm sure what I'll remember is that Jimmy Buffet came out at the curtain call.  It probably be the only time that I will ever see him in person.  Obviously, not a Parrothead!

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#51ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/26/17 at 6:33pm

mlsheehan said: "@A Canadian - that's really the only reason to go is for the "fun of it".  It will never be an important, or, maybe even, memorable night in the theater.

Five years from now, I'm sure what I'll remember is that Jimmy Buffet came out at the curtain call.  It probably be the only time that I will ever see him in person.  Obviously, not a Parrothead!

I do like Jimmy Buffet. I listened to his music a lot growing up but definitely not. a Parrothead..  When I come to town I'm always trying to juggle as many shows as possible and there ends up being a lot that I don't see. This will probably be one of them as I'll get tempted by others. But if I did go I'm sure I would like it on par with ABBA.   As always I'll wait until previews so I can get a sense of it from other theatregoers. 

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#52ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/26/17 at 9:41pm

green waver said: "South Fl Marc said: "No condescension. Jukebox musicals are to theatre what "Survivor" or "Honey Boo Boo" is to TV. They have an audience but are not to my taste.

"So you know before you even see a musical, if it contains pre existing well known pop songs, that you're going to hate it? Even if its as well executed as say, Jersey Boys? That's quite a pre judgement, or more simply, a prejudice.

"

No, it's based on the artistic belief that songs should arise from the plot rather than dictate the plot. It's a central principle of the American musical since OKLAHOMA!

And while I had a surprisingly good time at JERSEY BOYS last week, it was partly because that show makes no attempt to suggest the songs and book are organically integrated. (The exception is the anachronistic use of OH, WHAT A NIGHT! to musicalize the loss of Frankie Valli's virginity, even though the song wasn't a hit until 20 years later, in the late 1970s. I found it jarring.)

What is being described by the poster who saw the show in La Jolla is more akin to MAMA MIA, which could have been replaced by an ABBA tribute band for all I cared about what was happening on stage. This isn't a prejudice, just a fact in terms of my reaction (I realize others felt different).

ETA I should have added that I am in no way doubting the show's commercial appeal. I think Buffet is a fine writer of pop songs and "Margaritaville" is damn near a perfect pop song. Pop songs and theater songs, however, are two different things.

Updated On: 6/26/17 at 09:41 PM

green waver
#53ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/27/17 at 12:21am

Ah, Gaveston... your defense of a prejudice of a prejudice is scholarly and thoughtful. I would expect no less from you. But its still a prejudice to consign "jukebox musicals" to a lower order of theater before we even open a script. I'm glad you enjoyed Jersey Boys. Marshall Brickman's book totally transformed those  ancient pop songs into something more meaningful. Was it Sondheim or Tesori?  No, but it succeeded on its own terms. BTW, Oh What a Night was used to celebrate Bob Gaudio's loss of innocence in the show, not Valli's.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#54ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/27/17 at 12:23am

If someone were to gauge with what we've got so far next season, could Alison Luff get a tony nomination/win with this? It's her first time originating leading role on Broadway and I'm ecstatic to see how much her career grows from this. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#55ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/27/17 at 12:32am

GavestonPS, I am in complete agreement with you from a personal preference stand point.  I didn't get to Mama Mia until the sit down in Las Vegas when a couple of friends were looking for something fun to see.  In about 10 trips to New York (while it was playing), I had no interest in seeing it there.

The vibe of this show is so similar to Mama Mia in feel and tone, that it's almost like they were working off a checklist.  I completely had a wonderful time as part of my season package to La Jolla Playhouse (which costs me less than $50 a ticket).  Would I pay Broadway prices for this show?  Absolutely not.  However, I'm not the demographic for this show (right age and I love me some margaritas, but that's about it).  I probably only know the title song and one other in show, and other Buffet hits are unknown to me.  I will say, I will probably buy the cast recording as they are very strong, and most of the songs are truly enjoyable and well crafted.

My previous comments were more from an observation about whether the there are enough folks in the target audience? And whether they would like it?  And in my opinion to both of those is a "yes".  I do not expect it to have the legs that Mama Mia had (it's a more limited audience, not sure how many foreign tourists would go, "Jimmy Buffet Musical! I have to see that!"ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018.  I do think there are enough though to make it a "mild" success.

I've seen many try outs in San Diego and Los Angeles (Amelie, Indecent, Guns and Money, Junk, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Cry Baby, Curtains, Jersey Boys, and Hunchback of Notre Dame and many others), and I would say I have been right about their New York success pretty often.  I wish I had the money to be a producer!

This show will never appeal to most of the folks on this board, but that doesn't mean it can't be a success.  Okay, I've talked more about this show than it truly warrants.  You all can go about your business of dishing it and tearing it down.  wink

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#56ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/27/17 at 12:37am

Okay, one last comment, and I swear I'm done.

Re:  Allison Luff, I'd say a nomination is possible, but I can't really see a win (unless it's a really weak year).  She was very good, but that's my inexpert opinion on that subject.  This is an area where I'm not usually in accordance with the Tony nominating committee and voting block, so I could be radically wrong.

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#57ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/27/17 at 2:09am

I pretty much echo what misheehan had to say. The show is fun. It will never be mistaken for Hamilton but it will likely have a pretty good run and make plenty of money even after the reviewers take their swings at it. The people who want to see it will leave with a smile. The serious theater people on this board who go looking to hate it will have their negative opinions validated and wonder why so many people are having a good time as they lament the downward spiral of quality theatre.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#58ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/27/17 at 8:23am

green waver said: "Ah, Gaveston... your defense of a prejudice of a prejudice is scholarly and thoughtful. I would expect no less from you. But its still a prejudice to consign "jukebox musicals" to a lower order of theater before we even open a script. I'm glad you enjoyed Jersey Boys. Marshall Brickman's book totally transformed those  ancient pop songs into something more meaningful. Was it Sondheim or Tesori?  No, but it succeeded on its own terms. BTW, Oh What a Night was used to celebrate Bob Gaudio's loss of innocence in the show, not Valli's.

"

Yes, I believe (artistically) successful shows allow songs to serve the story rather than the story to serve the songs. If that's a "prejudice", then all knowledge and opinion are "prejudices". I'm certainly in good company with everyone from Hammerstein to Brecht to Sondheim to Jason Robert Brown.

I did surprise myself with JB, but I thought Brickman's book was the most obvious thing in the world, something you and I could have whipped up in an afternoon, since it is the exact same story as that of every other doo-wop group from Philly to the Bronx. Fortunately, book is kept to a minimum and I always did like the group's songs. (I saw their first "farewell tour" in 1975!)

Can you name a jukebox musical that isn't second-rate artistically when compared to the great book musicals? I can't and nobody has done so in this thread. (This isn't to say there's never been one that was fun. Nor is it to say MARGARITAVILLE won't make a bundle.)

I appreciate the correction re Gaudio's sex life.

CONFIDENTIAL TO MLSHEEHAN: I, too, avoided MAMMA MIA until the Vegas sit-down. A good friend of mine played the gay "father" for years. God, what a snooze (until the curtain call)!

Updated On: 6/27/17 at 08:23 AM

Call_me_jorge
#59ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/30/17 at 3:29pm

I just realized Betsy Wolfe was in the workshop/lab for this show. I assume in the  role Alison Luff is in now. Talk about not continuing with two different Broadway bound shows.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#60ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 7/2/17 at 1:21pm

I agree with whomever posted that the naysayers underestimate the loyalty of parrot heads. They were in full force last night and LOVING the show!! As someone who was only familiar with one or two of the songs I have to say I enjoyed it as well. Escape to Margaritaville is just that - an ESCAPE. Breathe in, breathe out, move on if you're looking for anything else but a silly (yes, sometimes cheesy) good time. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#61ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 7/2/17 at 2:05pm

I'll defend "Rock of Ages" as the best of the jukebox shows: it's gleefully metatheatrical in a way not a lot of other successful shows touch, and it works pretty well as a smart deconstruction of the jukebox musical genre at its peak (while also functioning as a jukebox musical itself). Sadly, I suspect the lowbrow movie has tarnished its reputation.

Back in high school, I read two of Buffett's novels, and enjoyed them for the loose stoner-Vonnegut surrealism of the rambling narratives. I get that his fiction isn't exactly commercial if you take his name off it, but I wish they had stayed true to Buffett and went a little more "weird" with this show. It sounds awfully safe and conventional.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#62ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 8/8/17 at 8:39am

Cast for the Broadway run was announced in the Broadway Briefing this morning. I'm excited by it, especially Nolan, Luff, Howard, and Webb!

Paul Alexander Nolan will lead the company as Tully, and will be joined by Alison Luff as Rachel, Lisa Howard as Tammy, Eric Petersen as Brick, Rema Webb as Marley, Don Sparks as J.D, Andre Ward as Jamal, along with Matt Allen, Tessa Alves, Sara Andreas, Marjorie Failoni, Steven Good, Angela Grovey, Albert Guerzon, Keely Hutton, Justin Keats, Mike Millan, Justin Mortelliti, Ryann Redmond, Ian Michael Stuart, and Brett Thiele.

Updated On: 8/8/17 at 08:39 AM

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#63ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 8/8/17 at 12:01pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I just realized Betsy Wolfe was in the workshop/lab for this show. I assume in the  role Alison Luff is in now. Talk about not continuing with two different Broadway bound shows."

It's not that she didn't want to continue. She probably got replaced. Kerry Butler was in readings/out of town tryouts for Ariel in The Little Mermaid, Elle in Legally Blonde, Julia in Wedding Singer, and a ton of other shows, and got replaced in all of them. Same probably happened to Betsy.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#64ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 8/8/17 at 12:44pm

That's a super talented cast. Hope this show isn't as bad as it appears.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#65ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 8/8/17 at 12:56pm

That sounds awful. He lost a salt shaker...so they sing a huge number? Awful. And I LOVE me some Mamma Mia and Rock of Ages. But that sounds really stupid. And I hope they upgrade the sets/design a bit. I hope we don't get cheap looking touring sets.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#66ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 8/8/17 at 2:08pm

GavestonPS said: "Can you name a jukebox musical that isn't second-rate artistically when compared to the great book musicals? "

The closest I can come are Beautiful and Rock of Ages, the former for having a pretty good book to tie the songs together (even though all of the songs are 'sung' by the characters, instead of being emotional outbursts), and the latter for being openly self-aware of it being a jukebox musical and shining because of it. I really expected to hate Rock of Ages but I can't say I didn't have a good time. They are still second-rate musicals.

HennySlay
#67ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 8/8/17 at 2:49pm

Super happy that Ryann Redmond will be coming back to Broadway! I assume she will be covering Lisa Howard.

Call_me_jorge
#68ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 10/22/17 at 7:50pm

Performances started in New Orleans this week. Anyone go/going

Call_me_jorge
#69ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 11/4/17 at 4:20pm

Has anyone seen it in NOLA or Houston? I have tickets for the opening night in Chicago and wondering what I should expect. Does anyone know how long it is? Is it a one act? I have school the next morning after seeing it and I’m really hoping to stage door, but I hope it doesn’t end too late.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#70ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 11/4/17 at 4:24pm

^ Not sure of the running time, but it is a 2 act show as far as I know. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Call_me_jorge
#71ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 11/9/17 at 11:55pm

Just got out! Boy was this a camp fest.
Let me get the good out of the way. I absolutely loved the sets and effects! Some pretty clever elements in there and the airplane was pretty cool. I also loved the scene in the airplane, it made me tear up a bit. The tap dance of the dead life insurance salesmen was a standout. I thought all the performances were fantastic and Paul and Alison made a lovely pair. Overall it such a fun show and a nice night out. If you can, I’d suggest going more on the loopy side. You would appreciate it more.
The bad. It just felt so rushed in a lot of places(especially the end). There’s a scene where Alison’s character just kisses Paul’s straight up, almost without a thought, and I felt it was out of character at the point. They hardly knew each other and she was still pretty stiff like 5 seconds before that. Would love to see them add more scene for the two characters. I wish we got to see more of Lisa’s and Eric’s relationship. They were barely glossed over. Also what was the point of that CBS this morning line??? That was so out of nowhere(are they a sponsor of the show?). I don’t really expect the show to change any of this, but it’s really just little things that I think only an active theatre goer would have a problem with. Also, the show doesn’t really appeal to my age group so you should take what I say with a grain of salt(my sister and I were probably the youngest people there), but I’m curious if this will do well in New York. It sure will capture the tourists, but I’m wondering if New Yorkers themselves will be thrilled with the show.
Oh I forgot to mention, please get rid of the plot of Rachel being on her phone. It really took me out of it. Maybe not make it an iPhone or just have her mention that she has to get to her phone without actually showing it.
P.S. I’m just so thrilled for Alison Luff and that she’ll be originating a leading role on broadway.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#72ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 11/10/17 at 10:05am

Was. it a big house?
I'm thinking of going Sunday afternoon.

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#73ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 11/11/17 at 12:08am

I saw this show tonight and I thought it was tons of fun. Yes, the last 15 minutes fly by in an unrealistic way, but I was several glasses of bubbly in by then. I will say, this shown needs a strong Parrot Head crowd throughout otherwise it kinda falls apart (the more Hawaiian shirts around you the better). I thought Paul Nolan was terrific and LOVED the two supporting characters. I know about 3 Buffet songs so it was very new for me - the energy of the people around me, having a good time, made it fun.

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."
Updated On: 11/11/17 at 12:08 AM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#74ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 11/11/17 at 12:48am

I have to agree with Gaveston here. I've tried to like a number of jukebox shows, and a couple of them have been cute. But whatever they are, they are not, in any way worth defining it, musical theater storytelling. Buffet has the benefit of writing songs that read pretty narratively. But if they weren't written to work together, they're just a bunch of songs to be checked off in a perfunctory way.