pixeltracker

Old folk are pretty darn bratty about Bette- Page 2

Old folk are pretty darn bratty about Bette

UncleCharlie
#25Yep
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:04pm

I don't have a dog in this fight but re: people disappointed when they find out it's Donna and not Bette... You're hearing how incredibly hard it is to get a ticket and every show for months is sold out and the tickets cost a fortune and you're able to grab orchestra seats for $159 with no problem the week before you want to go? I mean, shouldn't that tell you something? 

And yeah, the tendency of some on here to always fault bad behavior on "old" people is tiresome. Trust me, you'll get there too one day... if you're lucky.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#26Yep
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:04pm

In case anyone is wondering, there some non-premium seats available for:

July 22

July 23

July 28

If anyone wants to snatch them up, they're on telecharge now.

Margo319
#27Yep
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:07pm

"old people are generally ruder than people younger than them, anyone who has worked in retail or food service can attest to this.

Yep.  Oh, and as for my nap, you thinking I cannot have an opinion on Bette other than the GREATEST WOMAN EVER....well, I think it may be time for your bed time since you already ate dinner at 4:30pm.  This thread is great because it's proving the OP's point exactly.  It's all old people on here making themselves look like idiots because they cannot accept other people's opinions.  I don't like an actress.  So....I get attacked.  Ridiculous.  The only people I know who act that way are the current administration in Washington.  So yeah, you are as bad as them. Yep, I JUST SAID THAT.  

Margo319
#28Yep
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:10pm

I can think anything I want about her.  She only did that to get back at the American Theatre Wing anyways.  She had nothing to say and went on and on about noooooothing.  Gavin Creel was great and kept it under 90 seconds.  He is in the show too.  Yeah, she sucks.  If you cannot handle an opinion that differs from yours, then you don't belong on the internet.  

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#29Yep
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:10pm

Margo319 said: ""old people are generally ruder than people younger than them, anyone who has worked in retail or food service can attest to this.

Yep.  Oh, and as for my nap, you thinking I cannot have an opinion on Bette other than the GREATEST WOMAN EVER....well, I think it may be time for your bed time since you already ate dinner at 4:30pm.  This thread is great because it's proving the OP's point exactly.  It's all old people on here making themselves look like idiots because they cannot accept other people's opinions.  I don't like an actress.  So....I get attacked.  Ridiculous.  The only people I know who act that way are the current administration in Washington.  So yeah, you are as bad as them. Yep, I JUST SAID THAT.  

"

Ok.  Now that gets from me a big  WHATEVER!    

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#31Yep
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:12pm

Margo319 said: "Gavin Creel was great and kept it under 90 seconds."

Margo, I completely and utterly support your right to dislike Bette (as much as I disagree), but to say that Bette and Gavin are on the same playing field is a total misfire.

Margo319
#32Yep
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:13pm

And that's totally cool and I completely respect your opinion.  Have an awesome rest of your evening.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#33Yep
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:18pm

I'm so confused why someone needs to post multiple times about their hatred for Ms. Midler in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with her talent or even really HER but how people are reacting when she isn't on in the show she's in. Utterly mind boggling and stupid. One of the more stupider things I've seen in BWW, actually!

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#34Yep
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:19pm

Margo319 said: "I can think anything I want about her.  She only did that to get back at the American Theatre Wing anyways.  She had nothing to say and went on and on about noooooothing.  Gavin Creel was great and kept it under 90 seconds.  He is in the show too.  Yeah, she sucks.  If you cannot handle an opinion that differs from yours, then you don't belong on the internet.  

"

I think you need to find yourself a nice "Wicked" thread to hang out in.  No insult intended to anyone who loves Wicked.  But I just think you are totally out of your league here.  You can dislike whomever you want.  But to compare Gavin accepting a award to Bette accepting a Tony just gave away your lack of perspective.  

Margo319
#35Yep
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:21pm

Thanks for your opinion on the subject, I respect it fully.  

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#36Yep
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:27pm

poisonivy2 said: "In case anyone is wondering, there some non-premium seats available for:

July 22

July 23

July 28

Thanks for holding down the fort on Dolly!, Ivy. I've been so focused on DEH tickets that I haven't been able to stay on top of it!

JBC3
#37Old folk
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:28pm

"Old folk" is one of those terms that sees descriptive but in reality could mean anything from 50-100 years old.

Sweeping generalizations really do not add a lot to an argument when they are not needed.

We can all probably share anecdotal experiences from our own lives that would make the case for rudeness being prevalent in any age cohort we select.

godlessondheimite
#38Old folk
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:37pm

JBC3 said: ""Old folk" is one of those terms that sees descriptive but in reality could mean anything from 50-100 years old.

Sweeping generalizations really do not add a lot to an argument when they are not needed.

We can all probably share anecdotal experiences from our own lives that would make the case for rudeness being prevalent in any age cohort we select.
"

Not all old people are brats, but all the people I've seen complaining that the show has "not been upfront" about Donna and Bette's vacations are older.

And younger people tend to be the ones who are annoying about Hamilton and the Jonas Brothers etc.

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#39Old folk
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:43pm

Such an unpleasant and unnecessary thread.  Reminds me that the bigotry of ageism continues to thrive, even in quarters such as this.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#40Old folk
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:45pm

Cat Guy said: "Such an unpleasant and unnecessary thread.  Reminds me that the bigotry of ageism continues to thrive, even in quarters such as this.

"

Agreed.  I am embarrassed I had a big part in it.  But some nice people here to chat with .  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#41Old folk
Posted: 7/19/17 at 8:52pm

CT2NYC said: "poisonivy2 said: "In case anyone is wondering, there some non-premium seats available for:

July 22

July 23

July 28

Thanks for holding down the fort on Dolly!, Ivy. I've been so focused on DEH tickets that I haven't been able to stay on top of it!

"

Also a bunch of mezzanine seats for Nov. 22 matinee and a few mezzanine seats for Nov. 22 eve.

A few for Nov. 24 eve, Nov. 25 mat. and eve., Nov. 26.

Nov. 29 mat and eve. both have seats. Nov 29 eve. has seats in balcony even for $109.

Nov. 30, Dec 1, 2, 3, 6. 7, 8, 9 all have seats.

Actually most dates in Dec. have non-premium seats. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#42Old folk
Posted: 7/19/17 at 9:05pm

poisonivy2 said: "CT2NYC said: "poisonivy2 said: "In case anyone is wondering, there some non-premium seats available for:

July 22

July 23

July 28

"

Also a bunch of mezzanine seats for Nov. 22 matinee and a few mezzanine seats for Nov. 22 eve.

A few for Nov. 24 eve, Nov. 25 mat. and eve., Nov. 26.

Nov. 29 mat and eve. both have seats. Nov 29 eve. has seats in balcony even for $109.

Nov. 30, Dec 1, 2, 3, 6. 7, 8, 9 all have seats.

Actually most dates in Dec. have non-premium seats. 

HELLO, TICKETS!

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#43Old folk
Posted: 7/19/17 at 10:29pm

For the "old people" complaining argument -- I've worked at my father's small business since elementary school (gotta love Italian-American families and their disregard for child labor laws) and I've seen pretty much every type of person there is, and I feel that I can chime into this conversation. 

I think the issue is less that older people are rude, but rather that their attitudes are something that was totally acceptable in the 70s-80s and prior, but not so much anymore. As a teenager, nothing stresses me out more than the 65 year old who takes three millennium to clear check-out (whether it be because they're putting their receipt away, looking for their keys, etc.) but I can understand that doing stuff like that wasn't weird thirty plus years ago. People took their time. (And this isn't just an assumption either. My parents had me late -- 41 and 38, respectively -- so I have their first-hand accounts of how things used to be).

While my natural instinct as a person who grew up in the "instant internet age" is to screech: "PLEASE MOVE AWAY FROM THE COUNTER, SIR!!" I can understand the generational gap between myself and the customer and always make a point to simply make polite conversation with them as they clear the way, while shooting apologetic glances towards the next person in line (who usually is equally understanding and waves it off.) 

This attitude carries over into how older folk tend to be more vocal about things they dislike. My favorite examples are the people who come to me, a lowly cashier, and demand that I lower the price on products that they think are "rip-offs." Nothing is more rude, imo. But again, there's that generational gap. If you did the same thing thirty years ago, chances are you'd get a discount. Whenever I'm confronted with a customer like this I direct them to my father (who sometimes gives those discounts, being as old-fashioned as he is.) 

I'd say the same thing is happening with the Bette absence situation. People feel ripped off, so they complain about it because that's the only way they know to get results. Unfortunately for those people, that's not how the world works anymore. I'm in no place to say if that change is for better or worse, but it's just a simple fact. 

I do think that both sides (old and young) would do well to acknowledge that they've basically grown up on different planets, though. My father is pushing sixty now and he's an open enough person to understand how people my age work: quickly, efficiently, and often impersonally. Does this mean he doesn't take his sweet time at the store, or complain loudly and publicly when something upsets him? No. Just last week he exited the theatre of a popular Broadway show shouting: "THAT WAS HORRIBLE!" at the top of his lungs. And did I briefly contemplate running away and denying any relation to him? Of course. My dad and I hardly agree on anything, but we both agree on mutual respect, which is something I think everyone needs to work on. 

Updated On: 7/20/17 at 10:29 PM

bear88
#44Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 4:22am

leighmiserables, good for you. 

It's funny about these things. People on other threads complain about shows that attract younger audiences, like Dear Evan Hansen. This thread is about complaints concerning "old folk" complaining because Bette Midler isn't performing and they didn't realize for whatever reason (or in the case of Wednesday's matinee, because they had no way of knowing in advance). It's always something.

A few points:

1) As someone who doesn't live in New York and sees most shows on tour, I don't really focus on "stars." Most of the time, I don't know their names without doing a little research and haven't seen them in other things. There are exceptions, but that doesn't determine whether I see something. [Possible exceptions: Grey Gardens with Betty Buckley, and Hedwig - a show I didn't know at all going in - with Tony-winning Lena Hall and Darren Criss, who my daughter wanted to see because of "Glee".]

2) I still can't relate to the anguish of not seeing a supposedly good musical without a star. Last year, Lin-Manuel Miranda got sick on the night we were seeing Hamilton, a show we were paying an unprecedented sum [for us] to see. I was a little disappointed, but still excited to see the show. As a consolation, I met him briefly outside the theatre, and Javier Munoz and the rest of the cast were great.

3) Most of my favorite shows in recent years have not featured established stars at all. The cast of Hamilton, save Jonathan Groff ("Glee" again)? The touring cast of Fun Home? Great Comet had Josh Groban, but I had actually never heard of him before seeing the show. I guess I'm more of a show guy than a star guy.

Updated On: 7/20/17 at 04:22 AM

bdboston
#45Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 5:31am

leighmiserables and bear88-- THANK YOU for bringing civility and eloquence back to this post/topic. Others here - who feel obnoxiousness, abrasiveness, rudeness and a know-it-all attitude is the only way to get their "point" across - could take a lesson. You two are my kind of peeps.

Debbie77
#46Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 7:21am

At my daughter's wedding a couple months ago, friend's of my parent's told me they had "Dolly" tickets for the 7/19 matinee.  I mentally socked this date into my memory because they were so excited and I wanted to remember to ask them about it afterwards.  So I was personally distressed when I saw this thread this morning.  They live in Staten Island and are frequent theater-goers.....but even given THAT, my guess is that they were tremendously disappointed.  I'm going to find out what happened in the theater yesterday and report back, if anyone here is still interested.

Debbie

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#47Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 1:30pm

bear88 said: "It's funny about these things. People on other threads complain about shows that attract younger audiences, like Dear Evan Hansen. This thread is about complaints concerning "old folk" complaining because Bette Midler isn't performing and they didn't realize for whatever reason (or in the case of Wednesday's matinee, because they had no way of knowing in advance). It's always something." 

Exactly. I'd say both young and old audiences get the same amount of complaints from the other end of the spectrum. For example, the teenagers mobbing around Ben Platt at the DEH stage door are no different than the middle-aged women who were pushing people out of the way to see Josh Groban at TGC door. I've actually been shoved out of the way at both. Once by a boy who looked around my age at DEH, and once by a woman who appeared to be in her mid-sixties (only difference is I admittedly shoved the kid my age back.) 

"I still can't relate to the anguish of not seeing a supposedly good musical without a star. Last year, Lin-Manuel Miranda got sick on the night we were seeing Hamilton, a show we were paying an unprecedented sum [for us] to see. I was a little disappointed, but still excited to see the show. As a consolation, I met him briefly outside the theatre, and Javier Munoz and the rest of the cast were great."

I agree again. Only time I've ever seen a show with the intent of seeing a particular performer was Fun Home for Michael Cerveris (and also an old dance class friend who was in the show at the time), and of course he was out that day. But my parents paid a lot of money for front row tickets so I didn't say anything. Then I ended up falling in love with the show itself, and I thought his understudy (Jim Stanek) was absolutely fantastic. 

Updated On: 7/20/17 at 01:30 PM

Jazzman714
#48Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 2:02pm

Debbie - please do. Very curious to get some eyewitness accounts of yesterday's matinee.  Thanks!

Cora Hoover Hooper Profile Photo
Cora Hoover Hooper
#49Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 2:25pm

I hadnt heard about Bette's call off, and can understand people being disappointed. I would be too. But what can you do?

I did get a good laugh about some of the old people generalizations. I'm an aging baby boomer, but I dont fit the "old person" mold. I get impatient with slow drivers; people who dawdle in lines; people who feel they have to tell their life story; etc. MOVE IT. I haven't slowed down with age (LOL)....

Updated On: 7/20/17 at 02:25 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#50Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 2:30pm

This has nothing to do with Bette or age.  This always happens to every show with a bankable star.  Every single time.  This is nothing new or remarkable in any way.  I've worked food service, retail, non-profit arts (including large theatre box office and ushering), and corporate and the commonality of rudeness was generally associated with wealth, not age, as it usually had to do with a person's ignorance and sense of entitlement.  Attributing rudeness to age just sounds like a real lack of awareness.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 7/20/17 at 02:30 PM