pixeltracker

Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13- Page 6

Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#125Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 6:57pm

i had some tickets last november i ended up not being able to use... is it still possible to "past date" them?? the box office explained it to me back when i called them about it but i'm not sure if they're still valid or whatever. and with all this hooplah i figure if i can still use them i might as well! anyone know?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Jarethan
#126Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 7:08pm

Robbie2 said: "nmlhats said: "Owen22 said: "
"I, for one, would pay good money to see Ewan McGregor in a musical. When I saw Moulin Rouge, I thought to myself, "Why isn't this man in musical theater?"

Because he was HORRIBLE in the otherwise fairly good West End revival of "Guys and Dolls" (the rest of the cast was formidable: Jane Krakowski as Adelaide, Douglas Hodge as Nathan and Jenna Russell as Sarah). 

Honestly he was so bad he soured me on his film performances for years after.

"

Ha ha! Wow! I guess I missed that one and sorry to hear he was such a disappointment!

My next great idea was Brian Stokes Mitchell for Pierre. I am 99% sure that he plays the piano (and could probably sell tickets, too).

"

Hugh Jackman could save the day if he's available!

Brian Stokes Mitchell and Billy Porter together couldn't save Shuffle Along from an untimely death after Audra's pregnancy was announced.  So, why here?

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#127Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 7:37pm

Part of me wonders if whoever they had planned for September got spoked by the Mandy debacle and also decided to drop out. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

bear88
#128Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:07pm

I fear that's exactly what has happened, especially if the next Pierre was supposed to be a white man. My totally uninformed guess is that the producers have no one but don't want to give up yet. Time is running out, though.

As for Shuffle Along, you're not even including Brandon Victor Dixon and Joshua Henry. And Adrienne Warren, though she would be a reach as Pierre. (She was one of the black actors who expressed anger about Oak.) That show was definitely flawed, but the first act was terrific and cast was just ridiculously talented. But everything turned on Audra, which never made sense to me in an ensemble piece. We peons who see shows on tour can't be so picky.

VintageSnarker
#129Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:47pm

lucas_glenn said: "VotePeron said: "lucas_glenn said: "Heard from a reliable source, Justin Timberlake as Pierre."

I can't tell if you're joking or not. He's a great talent, but Pierre?? He'd be a killer Anatole, though!

Not at all joking. I was told he had all but signed the contract. 

LOL, he couldn't get through one night of singing that part as written.

Rainn Wilson couldn't get people to watch Backstrom (which I liked) so I don't see him boosting the box office any more than Ingrid really.

Brendon Urie as Anatole?

GeorgeandDot said: "They should try to get at least a somewhat minor name into the show just to boost the tickets a little bit through to September.  Maybe someone like Haley Reinhart to play Helene or Marya just for a couple of weeks until they get a big name for Pierre.

Ooh, that's not a name you hear floated out a lot. I don't think she could handle singing Marya. She's young for Helene and in spite of some skimpy stage outfits, I don't think she has the right vibe anyway. Maybe Mary or Sonya, though I don't know if she would sell a ton of tickets.

I love Brian Stokes Mitchell but he was just next door at the Music Box and FOR SOME REASON I CANNOT FATHOM, he was not enough to sell tickets to Shuffle Along. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#130Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:50pm

VintageSnarker said: "I don't see him boosting the box office any more than Ingrid really."

He doesn't need to. That is enough to keep it running.

VintageSnarker
#131Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:52pm

haterobics said: "VintageSnarker said: "I don't see him boosting the box office any more than Ingrid really."

He doesn't need to. That is enough to keep it running.

I thought the theory was that they had lined up a Pierre who could sell the show as well as Groban. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#132Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 9:58pm

VintageSnarker said: "I thought the theory was that they had lined up a Pierre who could sell the show as well as Groban."

A bunch of people repeatedly saying something online doesn't make it a theory.

VintageSnarker
#133Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 10:01pm

haterobics said: "VintageSnarker said: "I thought the theory was that they had lined up a Pierre who could sell the show as well as Groban."

A bunch of people repeatedly saying something online doesn't make it a theory.

I mean that was the premise when Rainn Wilson's name was floated out. Why are you arguing with me?

schubox
#134Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 10:03pm

They may just be waiting for some of the heat to die down to announce the next Pierre too. The backlash has already died down quite a bit, and the backlash to the backlash has as well.

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#135Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 10:07pm

Did anyone else catch Mandy Patinkin tweeting "#savethecomet" like forty minutes ago? I had left twitter open on my browser about an hour ago and when I returned to my laptop it was there, but when I clicked on the tweet it said it had been deleted. 

No clue on how to unpack that one. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#136Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 10:12pm

VintageSnarker said: "I mean that was the premise when Rainn Wilson's name was floated out. Why are you arguing with me?"

Mandy getting them to September led people to say they must have someone ready to take over then, and there are rumors, but as far as we know, Mandy getting the show to September may have just bought them more tie to hopefully sign someone and, if not, it would close Labor Day weekend.

Hedwig also had a ton of rumors on who was lined up for after Taye got that show through September, and, well...

#137Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 11:19pm

the show can't be doing too bad, they're running a contest all month long on Broadway Boosters to win tickets (you can enter here: http://sot.ag/6xGxt)

On another note, Rainn Wilson played Dwight for a very long time and for some it may be hard to look past that when he's playing Pierre. Would people take him seriously during The Duel, Natasha and Pierre, etc? 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#138Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 11:21pm

That means nothing. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#139Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 11:38pm

Harry Connick Jr?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#140Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 11:40pm

While we are just floating names, Clay Aiken is in town ??

schubox
#141Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 11:43pm

leighmiserables said: "Did anyone else catch Mandy Patinkin tweeting "#savethecomet" like forty minutes ago? I had left twitter open on my browser about an hour ago and when I returned to my laptop it was there, but when I clicked on the tweet it said it had been deleted. 

No clue on how to unpack that one. 

"

Maybe they talked him in to coming back. Please god

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#142Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/1/17 at 11:51pm

I still think Jack Black would be brilliant.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#143Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 1:33am

The Mooch

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#144Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 1:37am

Why are people putting up names of white actors, no one is going to touch this with a ten foot pole, the racist calls will come from far and wide.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#145Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 1:40am

I love that people say so and so "is in town." It's a tough role. It's not something you can just jump into.

dramamama611
#146Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 3:13am

It's only the instrumental part that's hard.  They could have a plan to bypass it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#147Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 3:24am

No disrespect to Brian Stokes Mitchell, but to the general public he is not well known. I've found it a little surprising that people were so shocked he and his male co stars couldn't support SHUFFLE, they are amazing actors and very esteemed in the theatre business but to the general public they're practically nobody. Even without Audra outsizing them.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#148Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 3:48am

I think if everyone was honest , the only reason this show opened on Broadway was because of Josh Gorban any one who says different is kidding themselves...

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

dramamama611
#149Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 5:45am

Don't think that is news to anyone.