pixeltracker

THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'- Page 5

THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#100 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:22pm

Hogan, "no one lost a penny except the investors. "  No Hogan, but we lost performer friends, and that's sad.

schubox
#101 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:24pm

I don't believe that it's 0% Oak or Rafael's fault, but even if that is true, they are going to get at least some of the blame. Just like how they stirred up people about racism that doesn't exist. The narrative doesn't have to be true. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#102 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:28pm

schubox said: "There is absolutely no way you could possibly know that. Just like, on the other side, no one could know if the show had any chance with Mandy. It is pretty obvious that all of the scandal surrounding Oak had, at a minimum, a negative impact on the perception of the show. And very well could have cost the show money. "

actually, I could, for the same reasons I and others have been saying all along. and I mean ALL along. If Groban couldn't make them solvent, who could (not counting a joke). And guess what? Mandy wasn't blowing fuses at Telecharge.

Look up my first post, before the show even started previews: "it is designed to fail." Later I added "it is being marketed to fail too." 

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." (John Adams)

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#103 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:29pm

Casal is "liking" tweets about him getting Comet to close. He's a bottom feeder who sucks to stars that shine brighter and I truly hope he stays in mediocrity where he belongs.

I'm not bitter. Maybe a little.

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#104 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:34pm

HMPH said, "I guess my main question is who the f*ck is Rafael Casal and why did so many people give a sh*t about his opinion? Jesus."

It's funny HMPH that you have a pic of Tony Yazbeck as your profile.  The Hagan's, the Comet producers, were also the producers of On the Town that Tony starred in.  They closed that show on Labor Day too.

How prophetic.  I said in earlier blogs that I attended Comet several times and Casal is not listed in any of the Playbills. Must be an add on.  But, come on, Oak could've let Mandy take the role.  I agree show had no future beyond Labor Day b/c the producers did nothing to ensure it.  Perhaps big talent wanted too much money.  I told folks to listen to the O'Henry Report on this web site which discussed why this Comet went down in the Oak/Mandy debacle.

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
hmph Profile Photo
hmph
#106 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:38pm

HogansHero said: "actually, I could, for the same reasons I and others have been saying all along. and I mean ALL along. If Groban couldn't make them solvent, who could (not counting a joke). And guess what? Mandy wasn't blowing fuses at Telecharge.

"

Mandy only had like 24 hours, and less than that before this all blew up in everyone's faces. You really think he couldn't have at least extended the run a bit?

And really, if I'm bitter, it's not at the show but at how nastily it all went down and at how anyone paid any attention to Rafael Casal of all people. Why would the NYT of all places interview this rando about anything?

schubox
#107 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:39pm

HogansHero said: "schubox said: "There is absolutely no way you could possibly know that. Just like, on the other side, no one could know if the show had any chance with Mandy. It is pretty obvious that all of the scandal surrounding Oak had, at a minimum, a negative impact on the perception of the show. And very well could have cost the show money. "

actually, I could, for the same reasons I and others have been saying all along. and I mean ALL along. If Groban couldn't make them solvent, who could (not counting a joke). And guess what? Mandy wasn't blowing fuses at Telecharge.

Look up my first post, before the show even started previews: "it is designed to fail." Later I added "it is being marketed to fail too." 

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." (John Adams)

"

No there is literally no way you cold know what would have happened. Doesn't mean you aren't probably right, but you can never know what could have happened 

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#108 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:40pm

Bad producing yes but I don't picture them being deluded enough to think Oak was the best choice 4 mos before Josh was scheduled to leave. On the casting front they must have seen many possible replacement performers is it possible that no one of any box office girth was interested? On the financial planning front they must have immediately seen that advance sales beyond Josh's end date wasn't budging. They had to be watching no growth in advance sales for months. There should have been an immediate pop in sales the days following Mandy's  announcement - or was there? I still say this was always the Josh Grobin show on Broadway and only a star as big could keep it rolling and that star would demand the same box office cut leaving the investors high and dry again. It was a no win situation - bad planning - bad producing. 

Up In One

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#109 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:41pm

ChildofEarth said, "Casal is "liking" tweets about him getting Comet to close. He's a bottom feeder who sucks to stars that shine brighter and I truly hope he stays in mediocrity where he belongs."

Are you kidding Child?????   He's bragging about this???? I see the show tomorrow...I'll spitball him

hmph Profile Photo
hmph
#110 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:41pm

JayElle said: "HMPH said, "I guess my main question is who the f*ck is Rafael Casal and why did so many people give a sh*t about his opinion? Jesus."

It's funny HMPH that you have a pic of Tony Yazbeck as your profile.  The Hagan's, the Comet producers, were also the producers of On the Town that Tony starred in.  They closed that show on Labor Day too.

"

It's particularly painful for this theater fan because On the Town (really Tony Yazbeck) and Great Comet at the shows that have really spoken to me and that I've made a point to see more than once! So the Kagans may be crap producers, but their shows really are something.

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#111 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:45pm

HoganHero said, "If Groban couldn't make them solvent, who could (not counting a joke). And guess what? Mandy wasn't blowing fuses at Telecharge."

Unfortunately, that was true.  If tkts show up at the half price tkt place at Duffy Sq., which Mormon and Ham doesn't, doesn't look good....but I'd love to be the fly on the Hagan wall when they decided not to find a post Oak player

wssinsider
GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#113 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:47pm

I just want to clarify that I know several members of the cast and crew and Oak and Casal are at fault for the closing of the show.  I can't really discuss some of the stuff that went down, but the show is definitely closing due to the horrible backlash not because of the low ticket sales.  The ticket sales would have gone up had Patinkin stepped in.  They had to refund so many tickets for that period that they just couldn't have stayed open.  Patinkin would have bought the show a few more months.  So seriously, stop putting all the blame on the producers.  It really isn't their fault that this is happening.  They were trying.  I feel terrible for that cast and crew.  They deserved better.

@z5
#114 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:47pm

Picked up a ticket for it on Sat night after I heard the closing announcement and hoping to catch it once again with Malloy. Really have come to love this show in the past few months and definitely never expected it to run for only under a year.

Audrey33
#115 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:50pm

Cynthia is an absolute mess. I don't care if she's responsible in any way or not, give your thoughts to the cast and creatives rather than making it all about you. Arrogant, arrogant woman.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#116 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:51pm

hmph said: "JayElle said: "HMPH said, "I guess my main question is who the f*ck is Rafael Casal and why did so many people give a sh*t about his opinion? Jesus."

"

It's particularly painful for this theater fan because On the Town (really Tony Yazbeck) and Great Comet at the shows that have really spoken to me and that I've made a point to see more than once! So the Kagans may be crap producers, but their shows really are something.

"

I also adored On the Town and saw it several times. 

Sad all around.

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#117 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:54pm

UpinOne said, "Bad producing yes but I don't picture them being deluded enough to think Oak was the best choice 4 mos before Josh was scheduled to leave."

I said back in Feb/Mar that I couldn't understand how Oak could replace Groban.  I got raspberries blown at me.  Singing styles too different.  Oak unknown except to Ham fans. Well, not as universally know like Groban.

I go to buy a ticket for Groan's last show and casually mention I can't see Oak replacing Groban only to have ticket box office rep bring producer over to hear my statement. I thought he was a ticket agent and that was weeks before Oak started.

We all screw up.  I loved the show b/c it was fun to have the audience and actors interact.  And these actors are young enough to be my kids or grandkids, so I'm sorry to see them go.

Sorry, b/w this and two impulsive personalities wanting to blow up the world with nuke toys (trump/NoKorea guy), what's next?

UncleWilky
#118 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:54pm

Maybe next time producers shouldn't offer roles without auditioning the actor in the first place.  Oak was offered, not auditioned, and once they saw a combination of what he was doing with the character and the lack of box office appeal they were so hoping for, they did what any good producer would do; try and find a way to keep it open.  That being said, they handled it terribly.  But for folks to call the producers of the most diverse cast on Broadway (for which equity recently awarded them for) is beyond ridiculous.  They handled it terribly, but they needed to save the show.  Mandy didn't want to be associated with the mess, and Oak was fine until people got involved who didn't need to.  A sad day indeed, but this was handled poorly from day one when they simply offered Oak the role without auditioning him first.  This is no way was a race issue. 

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#119 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:59pm

George&Dot said, "I just want to clarify that I know several members of the cast and crew and Oak and Casal are at fault for the closing of the show."

I believe you G&D.  Please extend my sorrow and apologies to those you know in the show.  I'm an avid Bway freak and somewhat retiree.  For all the times I saw the show, I loved it. Was like watching my kids. I'm heartbroken.

I tweeted Oak many times to forgive and make it go for the cast. Guess it didn't happen.  Take care.  JayElle

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#120 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:59pm

I am...beyond gutted. Just bought a ticket for the 31st and I'm hoping to snag another for closing night. So so so unfair to all involved. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#121 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 10:00pm

JayElle said: "No Hogan, but we lost performer friends, and that's sad."

Unless there really was a new Pierre for the fall, who got spooked by the controversy, this would have been the final show either way, no? Only Mandy would have closed it...

BroadwayBrat
#122 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 10:02pm

So sad, whatever the real reason is.   I saw it twice from the stage and loved every minute of it.   My favorite moment may have been when the female cast member asked if she could sit in my lap.   Of course, I said yes and she promptly did.    Best wishes to the cast and crew.

Updated On: 8/8/17 at 10:02 PM

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#123 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 10:03pm

This is so sad. I was hoping for a different outcome than this. 

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#124 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/8/17 at 10:03pm

Why was Rafael Casal involved with this?