pixeltracker

Caroline, or Change: "That old copper statue?... 'Honorin' the brave Confed'rate Soldier'"- Page 3

Caroline, or Change: "That old copper statue?... 'Honorin' the brave Confed'rate Soldier'"

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#50Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/20/17 at 2:03pm

I don't know if anything has ever been said that she doesn't like or want to do revivals, but Audra does many of them (so incredibly well) that many would like to see her in a new, original role. She's only originated 4 roles on Broadway, I think (Sharon in Master Class, Sarah in Ragtime, Marie Christine, and Lottie in Shuffle Along).

I don't think Audra's voice is quite right for Caroline. 

Maybe LaChanze? Not a big name, but such a voice. And her daughter, who is drawing attention as an up and comer, could play Emmy...

Updated On: 8/20/17 at 02:03 PM

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#51Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/20/17 at 2:05pm

True. Thinking of Audra's past roles (and Tonys) - she evidently doesn't share the belief that doing a revival and not creating the character in an OBC is somehow lesser.

Updated On: 8/20/17 at 02:05 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#52Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/20/17 at 2:13pm

oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "She's only originated 3 roles on Broadway, I think (Sharon in Master Class, Sarah in Ragtime, and Marie Christine)."

And Lottie in Shuffle Along!

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#53Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/20/17 at 2:17pm

Michael Paulson must have been reading BroadwayWorld again. From today's New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/20/theater/caroline-change-kushner-confederate-statue.html?mcubz=1&_r=0

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#54Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/20/17 at 2:33pm

JBroadway said: "oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "She's only originated 3 roles on Broadway, I think (Sharon in Master Class, Sarah in Ragtime, and Marie Christine)."

And Lottie in Shuffle Along!

"

Oh, you're right! I'll correct what I said.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#55Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/20/17 at 3:13pm

theatreguy said: "Michael Paulson must have been reading BroadwayWorld again. From today's New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/20/theater/caroline-change-kushner-confederate-statue.html?mcubz=1&_r=0
"

I'm so happy there is a piece in the NYT about this show. I hope it sparks some ideas in some people with real dough.

cam5y
#56Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/20/17 at 5:25pm

The Chichester production was excellent. (Except for some of the accents). Sharon D Clarke is a phenomenal singer and a pretty good actor and did a great job, but my God, I'd love to see Patina Miller in this part.

round2 Profile Photo
round2
#57Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/20/17 at 6:08pm

I guess the Vivian Beaumont will be out of commission for a while with My Fair Lady. Too bad. That pedestal should be underneath a first class revival of Caroline, or Change. Could it make sense for George C. Wolfe to direct it, or should it be someone new?

Updated On: 8/20/17 at 06:08 PM

Jarethan
#58Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/20/17 at 6:33pm

round2 said: "And I'm shocked to see that Anika Noni Rose is 44. Would be great to see her Caroline. Would she sell tickets? Would anyone who could be a good Caroline?

It is not a show with a large cast, as I recall.  Maybe, MTC, LCT or Roundabout need be lobbied to approach this for the reasons mentioned.  If not an open-ended engagement that needs to return its full investment, I would imagine it would do as well as most of the musicals attacked by Roundabout over the past decade.

round2 Profile Photo
round2
#59Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/20/17 at 7:18pm

The subscriber houses have wonderful, engaged mostly older, and mostly white audiences. Those adjectives could increasingly be used to describe me, so I'm just keeping it real here. It would be great for it to be presented in a theater with a more diverse audience.

C4b2a3b
#60Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/21/17 at 11:53am

Physically, the audience needs to believe that Caroline can beat up her ex-husband. I believed it with Tonya Pinkins, and while I love the ideas of Anika Noni Rose and LaChanze, I'm not sure that they fit this.

One could argue, I suppose, that someone of the Noni Rose's build could have used things around the house to beat him, but it leaves a scar in her hand. 

Ultimately, this wouldn't be a deal-breaker. It's a small detail, but I suppose that's why we're all here! 

broadwayindie
#61Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/22/17 at 9:03am

So I think Danielle Brooks would be ideal (she may be too young though) also Lillias White may be great (may be too old). Also, Charity Angel Dawson may be a real good fit or Frenchie Davis. Dream cast, Benanti would be playing Rose and Erivo would be playing Emmie.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#62Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/22/17 at 9:37am

lolololol. Yeah, Erivo is the perfect choice to play a 15 year old kid. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#63Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/22/17 at 11:28am

Anika Noni Rose was really a brilliant find. Nobody really knew her age when this show came on, and were shocked that she was in her early 30s. She was believable as a teenage girl both in look and voice.

Updated On: 8/22/17 at 11:28 AM

Jordan Catalano
#64Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/22/17 at 11:52am

Yeah, she was about 30 when she started with the show and could pull that off. But ain't nobody going to believe that about Erivo. And personally, I can't wait for the day when her name doesn't come up in every single discussion about a show. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#65Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/22/17 at 12:07pm

I agree with you. Not everyone can pull off a 90210.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#66Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/22/17 at 12:20pm

I would rather see Erivo originate a role.

Just give the world Love.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#67Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/22/17 at 11:35pm

uncageg said: "I would rather see Erivo originate a role."

Let's hope the Williamstown reading of Lempicka goes well (did that already happen?). 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

lida rose Profile Photo
lida rose
#68Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/24/17 at 9:16pm

I'd love to see Janelle Monáe as Emmie. I remember reading she stopped doing musical theatre because she was disappointed with the limited variety of roles available to black women... wonder if a juicy & complex part like that might lure her back.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#69Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/24/17 at 10:11pm

I love this show too. I've never seen it but just reading the libretto for the first time years ago, without even having heard the score at that point, was so moving.

That said, if I may make a shallow contribution to this thread, all the Wonder Woman references made by Emmie also turned out to be highly topical for the world in 2017, heh. Just a prescient show all around.

Jordan Catalano
#70Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/24/17 at 10:42pm

"I'd love to see Janelle Monáe as Emmie..."

EMMIE IS FIFTEEN YEARS OLD. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#71Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/24/17 at 10:48pm

I'd love to see a young unknown girl get her big break as Emmie.  What about that girl that won (I think she won) the Jimmy Award for playing Caroline in her high school production of Caroline, or Change?  I know that Tesori has expressed what a big fan of hers she is.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#72Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/24/17 at 10:56pm

Jordan Catalano said: ""I'd love to see Janelle Monáe as Emmie..."

EMMIE IS FIFTEEN YEARS OLD.
"

I assume most major productions of Caroline cast Emmie younger than Anika Noni Rose was, right? 

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

lida rose Profile Photo
lida rose
#73Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/24/17 at 11:14pm

"EMMIE IS FIFTEEN YEARS OLD."

she could pass as much younger onstage the same way Anika Noni Rose did, she has a youthful voice and physicality (and would probably sell tickets). it's not like there's no precedent for casting the role in that age range. however, I agree it would be exciting to see an unknown teen play that part.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#74Caroline, or Change:
Posted: 8/25/17 at 9:05am

No one's mentioned Shanice Williams yet.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.