pixeltracker

Will great comet ever come back?

Will great comet ever come back?

Ken6
#1Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 7:20am

Not going to be able to go before it closes.. kind of bummed had NYC plans set for Oct... guess we will see Come from away.. just wonder if u think they will ever bring it back to broadway. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 7:32am

Rumor is they might be looking to off Broadway...but other other than that,  it will be YEARS, if at all.  Sorry you'll have missed it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#3Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 7:40am

It has a chance. It might just go down a similar route to Pippin, where the revival is significantly different. I doubt they'd want to copy the original production, and GC is a show where originality works best. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#4Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 8:41am

Anyone else think Comet would be a good choice for schools? People I've talked to seem to think it could never work, but I'm not so sure. It has all the makings of a great school show: Lots of roles (including 5 great female characters), opportunities for all sorts of diversity, very active ensemble, etc. The only challenge would be the complexity of the music, but I think it can be done. I've seen students take on some really difficult scores with surprising success. 

True, there will never be a staging as thrilling as Chavkin's, but once you sort of let go of that hope, you can go all kinda of directions with it (as Itonlytakesajourney points out above). Hell, you could even do it in a large blackbox theoretically

Updated On: 11/26/22 at 08:41 AM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#5Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 8:43am

dramamama611 said: "Rumor is they might be looking to off Broadway...

"

Really? I'm not doubting you but i just haven't seen this rumor floating around. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#6Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 8:50am

GreasedLightning said: "dramamama611 said: "Rumor is they might be looking to off Broadway..."

Really? I'm not doubting you but i just haven't seen this rumor floating around. "

My friend in the production didn't know about the rumor. I think it was just something Jorge said off-hand on another thread. One can only hope, right? I personally wouldn't mind the original being professionally filmed but doubt the economics of a closing show would allow that.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#7Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 8:57am

Ken6 said: "Not going to be able to go before it closes.. kind of bummed had NYC plans set for Oct... guess we will see Come from away.. just wonder if u think they will ever bring it back to broadway. 

Once every 75 years or so

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#8Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 8:59am

Maybe in 2112, to celebrate the 300th anniversary. 

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#9Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 9:06am

Would be great if they could find the funds to tour the tent version. I know that another company tried to tour a tent version of Peter Pan not too long ago and that didn't fare well financially, but maybe this could? It would allow for a smaller set, but the tent itself is a beast in terms of setup, insurance, location, permitting, air conditioning, etc.

trpguyy
#10Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 9:15am

You explained pretty well why a tent tour wouldn't work. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#11Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 10:12am

JBroadway said: "Anyone else think Comet would be a good choice for schools? People I've talked to seem to think it could never work, but I'm not so sure. It has all the makings of a great school show: Lots of roles (including 5 great female characters), opportunities for all sorts of diversity, very active ensemble, etc. The only challenge would be the complexity of the music, but I think it can be done. I've seen students take on some really difficult scores with surprising success. 

True, there will never be a staging as thrilling as Chavkin's, but once you sort of let go of that hope, you can go all kinda of directions with it (as Itonlytakesajourney points out above). Hell, you could even do it in a large blackbox theoretically. 

"

I can't wait until is released,  and I have a group of students that could pull it off. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#12Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 10:20am

I can't wait until is released,  and I have a group of students that could pull it off. 

They would have since graduated and moved on to great retail and administrative jobs.  

AEA AGMA SM
#13Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 11:04am

I could see this becoming quite popular in college programs, especially as more and more schools have extremely flexible black box spaces that can be transformed in some pretty remarkable ways.

Rainah
#14Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 11:27am

I can definitely see this being done in ambitious/artsy colleges and HS. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a splashy revival in a number of years. SUCH a pity, I adore this show

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#15Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 11:36am

I have a feeling this production will be like the original production of Follies. Something people will brag they saw in 10 or 20 years because every revival could only capture a fraction of the energy and uniqueness of this show.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#16Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 11:37am

Valentina3 said: "GreasedLightning said: "dramamama611 said: "Rumor is they might be looking to off Broadway..."

Really? I'm not doubting you but i just haven't seen this rumor floating around. "

My friend in the production didn't know about the rumor. I think it was just something Jorge said off-hand on another thread. One can only hope, right? I personally wouldn't mind the original being professionally filmed but doubt the economics of a closing show would allow that.

"

Well I remember reading it from somewhere else on the boards.

i hope it reopens. I'd love to see it when I visit NYC in march. And I'm still bitter I missed my chance to see it this summer.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#17Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 11:46am

Once the rights get released, lots of performing arts high schools will probably try to do this. It's fun, energetic, and just a big party. While the set for the Broadway production is complex, they can probably take a cue from Kazino and the tent and make an affordable, but still effective set. The show really has it all: involved ensemble roles (and there are many, schools with lots of students would love this), strong main roles for both women and men, a good storyline, and a catchy, beautiful score.

Updated On: 8/28/17 at 11:46 AM

bear88
#18Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 12:02pm

poisonivy2 said: "I have a feeling this production will be like the original production of Follies. Something people will brag they saw in 10 or 20 years because every revival could only capture a fraction of the energy and uniqueness of this show.

So all I will get is bragging rights? Better than nothing, I suppose. I am still hoping for some sort of tour, especially in San Francisco (where one of the producers has a theater that needs big-time Broadway shows). I still can't quite get how the economics of a larger tour would work, though.

schubox
#19Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/28/17 at 12:16pm

I'm pretty sure the off Broadway rumor came from someone saying the cast didn't seem that down and so maybe it was transferring. There is literally nothing to the rumor. I would love for it to go off Broadway, but i think the next iteration we get, if any, is them getting a tour off the ground in a couple years. I hope this isn't the end 

trpguyy
#20Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/30/17 at 11:59pm

NETworks is buying the physical production, so unless they're branching out into producing off-Broadway, a tour is likely. 

bear88
#21Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/31/17 at 1:50am

That's good to hear. Forgive my ignorance, but I do wonder how this one is going to work given the logistics and high cost of the production. If investors have lost a bunch thus far, despite the show's ability to draw a good-sized Broadway crowd, why would they want to invest more? Is it financially feasible to have a smaller tour with fewer stops? Or would that make no financial sense?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#22Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/31/17 at 1:55am

bear88 said: "Forgive my ignorance, but I do wonder how this one is going to work given the logistics and high cost of the production."

No need to wonder, that's other people's actual jobs to sort it out.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#23Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/31/17 at 3:44am

Bring it to London please

secretschuylersister Profile Photo
secretschuylersister
#24Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/31/17 at 5:42am

I'm friends with Dave Malloy's mom on FB and she mentioned that there's hope of bringing the show to London in the future. It sounds like Dave might've been looking into it. If it were to go there, is there a large enough fan base/audience to support it?

paper_cliche
#25Will great comet ever come back?
Posted: 8/31/17 at 3:33pm

^ I can see Comet doing a lot better in London actually. With all its quirks and anachronisms that gave it the Broadway cult following, I can see the West End flocking to this. Maybe not the best example but think Starlight Express -- loud, quirky, immersive, and costly... flop in the US but record breaking in London.

I can also see this having a much easier time touring than almost any other show.  The production has gone through so many different setups, seating charts, and capacities, that the show is adaptive to any environment its placed.  If not proscenium style, all you need is a big enclosed space, an expo center, restaurant, or a ball room better yet, some ramps and risers, and it's pop-up Comet.

If nothing else, I hope Comet's contribution to Broadway will inspire many more shows to be told in such an immersive way, where you're walking onto the set of the show instead of watching it like a movie screen.