pixeltracker

Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL- Page 3

Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#50Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 12:24am

BlackElleWoods said: "Yes yes a million times yes !!! These people on this board have made up issues with lea Michele in their head as if they know the girl lol her voice is AMAZING !!! Shes perfect for this role !!!!!! I'll be first in line for tickets !"

And some people here DO know her, and/or have had interactions with her and/or are only one degree away from those that have.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#51Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 12:29am

I hope I’m leas standby. I look like I’m pooping when I sing just like her. Twins!! 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#52Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 12:40am

These people on this board have made up issues with lea Michele in their head as if they know the girl

Our “issues” are based on countless reports about her, which began way before GLEE even happened.  

Simply Gooe: “Why No One Likes Lea Michele” and sit back and read away.  

With all fairness, we do praise and acknowledge talent so it’s not like we’re on the attack or just making nonsense up.  The 2 actresses you seem to love: Nikki Blonsky and Lea Michele, have well rooted problems in the industry they are choosing to work in.  A simple Google will provide you with all the details we all mention.  

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#53Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 1:13am

Call_me_jorge said: "Now that wouldn’t be a bad idea. A Barbra Streisand bio musical starring Lea Michele"

There you go. Lea can star in Rachael Lily Rosenbloom (And Don't You Ever Forget It). 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#54Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 1:38am

But she's actually not a good actress. And she's not quirky. I'd much rather see Mueller take this to Broadway. She'd at least put an interesting spin on it. But not sure she's a "powerhouse" vocalist that the show kind of needs. 

Wilmingtom
#55Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 1:42am

Whether Michele is well liked in the industry has little to do with her prospects of playing Fanny.  Streisand wasn't exactly the darling of the day when she did it, locking horns with virtually everyone on the production.  But they plowed through because they knew she'd be brilliant in the role and they weren't wrong.  Michele is not innately quirky, nor is she a physical comedienne or possessed of an out-sized persona.  Unlike Fanny, she's not an original.  Sure, she could sing it, but so could any of 1,000 others.  I've been on team Gaga forever, but the time may have passed.  When "A Star Is Born" comes out in May and she adds "movie star" to her CV, she may well have other, more attractive offers on her plate.  Her peeps may not encourage her to do eight a week for a paycheck that would be an nth of what she could make in one night anywhere else on earth.  On the other hand, she has an affinity for the theater, appeared in her high school musicals, attended NYU's Tisch School of the Arts and studied at the Strasberg Institute for years, so who knows?  At this point, she could pretty much do whatever she chooses.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#56Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 1:58am

I'm out on Gaga. She doesn't seem like a real, down to Earth person to me. Even in her concerts, to me she has always come off as greater than or like reflective, and she's too young for that. I don't think she'd be right for Funny Girl. And, I don't get a lot of "emotions" from her vocals. I don't think she'd be right for this at all. 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#57Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 2:15am

Just going to leave this here.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."
Updated On: 10/13/17 at 02:15 AM

VoteBenanti
#58Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 2:35am

I just saw this thread and OH GOD PLEASE NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#59Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 2:36am

Lindsay Mendez would probably be my pick, but she's not a big enough name. Maybe if she makes a big splash with Carousel.

Gizmo6
#60Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 7:22am

Having seen Sheridan Smith twice I really hope they'd go for someone like Sheridan if not Sheridan for the Broadway run. She was simply stunning. The heartbreak, the clowning, she was perfect as that outsider who became a star. 

Lea sings nice but I don't think she could really portray the range required for Fanny. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#61Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 8:30am

I know this may be "out there", but the first person that popped into my head for FG is Laura Bell Bundy. Opinions?

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#62Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 8:50am

Lea Michele is wonderful. She is a great singer and actress and perfect for this role.

In that red carpet clip she makes me laugh because of her class. The woman strutting by has no class.

She might not be humble about the way she pursues her dreams (which I see as a great thing), she is quite humble in the way she presents herself in the media, always respectful, kind, classy and that is the ultimate combination that makes a star to me.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#63Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 8:53am

MrsSallyAdams said: " it's mostly a response to her aggressively marketing herself. Do you remember how the zeitgeist turned onAnne Hathaway after she campaigned for an Oscar forLes Miserables?It may not be fair but showbiz has always been a fickle industry."

Interesting point. I think you could be right, but Anne and Lea shouldn't change a thing. It's basically a form of jealousy.

Which means frustrated, unhappy people wil tear them down, but normal people love them or at least appreciate their talent.

Updated On: 10/13/17 at 08:53 AM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#64Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 9:28am

I'd love to see Gaga do Broadway but other than having a strong facial profile and a great singing voice, I'm not sure why people think she'd be good as Fanny Brice. Gaga is very talented, but she's not a comedic actress, which is what the show is about and requires.  Gaga should do the Hal Prince Evita revival that apparently is in the works.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#65Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 9:31am

I agree QueenAlice - I have never seen Gaga be funny so effortlessly and obviously as Fanny Brice was. Rachel Bloom would have been my pick if she didn't have the perfect Minnie Mouse nose. She can make me laugh, she can make me cry, I just want to clamour for her glamour.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#66Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 9:33am

I don't know what it is but there's just something about Lea Michele's acting style and personality that doesn't scream Fanny Brice to me, especially Funny Girl's version of Fanny. I mean she seems to have all the ingredients on paper (or not) but it just doesn't work. I think there needs to be someone who really is more genuine in their quirkiness, warmth, and humor. Yes, I know Barbra Streisand originated the role and we all know how people feel about her, but she was a true distinct personality. Lea Michele just doesn't stand out in the same way.

Liza's Headband
#67Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 9:41am

BlackElleWoods said: "Yes yes a million times yes !!! These people on this board have made up issues with lea Michele in their head as if they know the girl lol her voice is AMAZING !!! Shes perfect for this role !!!!!! I'll be first in line for tickets !"

Many of us do actually know her.... 

AGussBway
#68Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 10:27am

In type, she seems perfect outwardly due to her voice, her look, etc., but she also seems too contained. She's not brash. Fanny has to be a little wild!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#69Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 10:44am

I think Rachel Bloom would work if they wanted to bring over the production that played London recently. She's got a bit of the same Sheridan Smith vibe.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#70Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 12:53pm

Lea Michele just isn't a strong enough comedienne to play Fanny Brice.  She's not a strong enough actress for the part.  She seems right on paper, but just look at her performances of Funny Girl on Glee.  It's basically just a reproduction of Streisand's performance, but without any sort of genuine humor.  It would be an absolute mess.  Something about Michele always screams "amateur" to me.  I don't care what her backstage behavior is like, she's just not all that great.

I think Scott Rudin should do it with Jessie Mueller, who can actually act and sing the part.  She'd be phenomenal.  Pair her with some other Broadway favorites and it would be very successful.  The name of the show is enough of a sell and Mueller has quite a large fanbase herself.  Also, I could see Mueller sounding and playing Fanny Brice, while, as other posters have already said here, Michele will play her as Streisand playing Fanny Brice.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#71Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 12:55pm

Dear God, Rachel Bloom would be brilliant.

VintageSnarker
#72Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 1:27pm

I think Lea has had moments of being a strong actress, particularly in performing songs, but she isn't very consistent and whoever is cast as Fanny has to basically carry the entire show. No one's going for the Follies spectacle. I recall moments of her being funny and quirky but I can't remember her successfully telling a joke. I think she's usually given material where she's the butt of the joke and Fanny has to be in command of the audience and make them laugh with her before they laugh at her. And I do think towards the end of Glee into Scream Queens and whatever else she's become a little too conscious of her appearance and it it hinders her ability to go where she needs to in her acting and comedy.

Back Row
#73Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 2:54pm

I have no opinion on Lea Michele's ability. I watched the first few episodes of Glee when it first came on and never watched it again after that, so I don't really feel qualified to judge. However, it seems that a once in a generation role like this one should not limit themselves to locking in on a TV personality in order to "sell tickets". There is so much talent out there. Some great suggestions have been made on this thread. Personally, I'd like to see what Marla Mindelle could do with the role. 

Dollypop
#74Lea Michele announces on WWHL she wants to return to Broadway in FUNNY GIRL
Posted: 10/13/17 at 3:36pm

One of the few episodes of GLEE that I caught was the one where Lea Michele supposedly starred in FUNNY GIRL and she sang a few songs from it. Yes, she can sing but she absolutely lacks the depth the role requires. This was evident in her rendition of "Who Are You Now?" It was sung pretty but lacking in emotion.

If FUNNY GIRL is revived, the only person who could pull it off is Jennifer Simard. Not only is she side-splittingly funny, but she has an astonishing singing voice. (If you don't already know it: she's the soprano who is hitting all those high notes in "Sunday Clothes" in HELLO, DOLLY)

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)