pixeltracker

Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!- Page 3

Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!

VintageSnarker
#50Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 11/17/17 at 3:05am

Jordan Catalano said: "Marc Kudisch must be Fred!"

Amazing. But also... please not Will Chase.

I'm sure Kelli will be wonderful because she's always wonderful but I'm having trouble picturing it. What is the original range for that part? I know Kathryn Grayson played the role in the movie but I didn't think Rachel York was singing that much legit soprano in the stage version that is my personal definitive version. I would still love to see Rachel reprise the role. I don't think Kelli sold "Shall I Tell You What I Think Of You" to the point where I believe that she will deliver "I Hate Men" with the impact it could have.

People who think Kiss Me Kate is boring... go away.

Musicaldudepeter
#51Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 11/17/17 at 5:59am

Patricia Morison had a legit soprano and the role was originally conceived musically such. Hence why a lot of opera singers have played the part at least on record (see Josephine Barstow, amongst others.) However since the 1999 revival, the role has been altered slightly vocally - So In Love was changed to a lower key (more of a torch song), and other parts were changed too, maybe some else can elaborate. The part has increasingly become more dame-like than ever, so it's an unusual move that they should cast Kelli. Laura Benanti strikes me as more of a Lili/Kate tbh.  I'd imagine Kelli's keys will be raised to match what the original sounded like, though I'd imagine they'll follow what ever she did in the reading. What arrangements did they use for that - was it the 1999 changes (i.e. Another Opening chopped and changed, no overture per se, etc etc.)? David Charles Abell recently reconstructed the original 1940s score and that version has been licensed recently by some opera companies. 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#52Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 11/18/17 at 2:52am

"im obviously going to be heavily criticised for saying this but ive always found Kelli to be quite bland and vanilla and im struggling to imagine her being a feisty diva type of character"

One can't deny that she hasn't Kelly hasn't played a lot of hookers and dance hall girls, but I think that the role of Nellie Forbush involves a lot of great swings in her mood that Kelli handled very well. I don't know that she would say this again if asked, but she told one interviewer that her favorite song to sing night after night in South Pacific was Honeybun.

Did you see her in Pajama Game with Harry Connick or in her Merry Widow Met debut in this classic Susan Stroman number?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxEXiUG0_tM

I'm a little disappointed in Kiss Me Kate. In her lengthy interview with Jim Zirin (not to be confused with David Frost), which has been viewed by under 2000 on YouTube, she makes a point of saying at the end that she believes the classic musicals, and hopefully some of the new ones, were meant to teach and instruct and she thought South Pacific was very relevant at the time of the election of a black President and the King and I when a woman was running for President. Although she had done some roles that were primarily for fun (Nice Work), now she had reached an age -- Oops! She really did say age --, but to be on the safe side I'll retract that. Now she had reached a point in her career where she only would perform roles that would start conversations about the ills remaining in society and how to remedy them.

Don't see where KMK fills that requirement, although Kelli did say that the classic musicals could be re-worked to a degree to make points that were more relevant to our current culture.

It doesn't seem like enough time has passed since the last revival, which played for over two years. Also Marin Mazzie and Brian Stokes Mitchell I thought nailed my two favorite songs, not just from KMK, but from the universe of musicals: "Wunderbar" and "So in Love."

The musical does drag at times. "Touch up Your Shakespeare" is a clever number, but do they have to do ten verses?

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#53Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 11/18/17 at 7:22am

Kelli has wonderful acting chops - her credits go far beyond the classic roles.   I actually can see her perform “feisty” and “diva” with a wonderful fire.   

I think she’ll be grand in this and I eagerly await it!  (and wait and wait and wait... 2019!!)

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 4/15/18 at 07:22 AM

VintageSnarker
#54Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 11/18/17 at 12:12pm

Thanks for the additional insight, Musicaldudepeter.

@OlBlueEyes I could see an argument with how Kiss Me Kate plays with gender roles but I think the issue is that it's very subtle. It's just a step beyond My Fair Lady where it seems like the most important thing (in MFL, I mean) is that the male character gets to preserve his pride. I think the ending of Kiss Me Kate and everything going on with Fred makes progress from The Taming of the Shrew. But for 2017, it feels like taking a step back.

That said, still love the show.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#55Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 11/18/17 at 8:26pm

Fooling of me to prejudge a musical that hasn’t even been cast yet as dated and irrelevant. It is anchored by a triumphant score from Cole Porter written when the man was usually in serious pain from his accident and generally regarded as a has-been.

Roundabout and O’Hara have established records of excellence that can lead only to expectations of an exceptional production that will stray from the path of previous productions where they see this to be desirable.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#56Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 11/22/17 at 1:18pm

I want Heléne Yorke to reprise her role as Lois Lane/Bianca more than anything, you know? But, like. If she couldn’t due to her television schedule, and we got Betsy Wolfe and Kelli O’Hara on the same stage.....I wouldn't be too mad.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#57Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 2/25/18 at 9:09pm

No new information about the show, but I have a quick question: if Ellis is going to direct Tootsie in the spring along with this (and maybe Carlyle with Secret Garden, although we don't know exactly when in the season that will be), how does that work scheduling wise? Is it possible for both of them to do this with their other productions? If anyone can, it's Ellis, but I was just confused by this.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#58Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/13/18 at 10:55am

Per this casting call...

First preview: February 14, 2019

Opening: March 14, 2019

Limited run through June 30, 2019

Are we thinking Studio 54?

Elegance101
#59Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/13/18 at 11:36am

Definitely Studio 54, but they have to wait until COLG announces closing.

Also, that makes me believe Helene will not be doing the show on Broadway. Of course that could be wrong, but I’m assuming Lois is on that casting call and not listing as cast because they’re looking for a new one.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#60Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/13/18 at 12:52pm

Elegance101 said: "Definitely Studio 54, but they have to wait until COLG announces closing."

Children Of A Lesser God is limited run, scheduled to close on 9th September 2018. I think there's enough time between it's closing and this opening that there can be another limited run (holiday concert?) which can sneak in.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

JVJ93
#61Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/13/18 at 12:59pm

I think kiss Me Kate will go into the Sondheim. Beautiful should close in January

Elegance101
#62Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/13/18 at 1:05pm

Valentina3 said: "Elegance101 said: "Definitely Studio 54, but they have to wait until COLG announces closing."

Children Of A Lesser God is limited run, scheduled to close on 9th September 2018. I think there's enough time between it's closing and this opening that there can be another limited run (holiday concert?) which can sneak in.

"

Oh I didn’t know that. Thanks for clarifying.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#63Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/13/18 at 1:23pm

I was one of those people who thought Kelli O'Hara was bland and unexciting based on television clips I've seen of her, including clips of The King and I. Then I saw her live in The King and I and I got it. I understood why she kept getting roles and why she had a dedicated fan base.

AEA AGMA SM
#64Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/13/18 at 1:59pm

Obviously this could have changed, but as of when Sweat closed this past summer the house staff were being told that the next Roundabout show there would be Kiss Me, Kate, and it was just a matter of waiting for everyones' (i.e. Kelli's) schedule to line up.

VintageSnarker
#65Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/13/18 at 11:39pm

After Cosi Fan Tutte, I feel like we haven't even reached the limits of her abilities yet. It has me excited about Kiss Me Kate again. I didn't see the concert staging but I hope Scott Ellis manages to make this more exciting than She Loves Me (which was very good but didn't quite spark for me).

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#66Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/14/18 at 1:17am

So if Fred/Petruchio is cast, anyone know who it is?

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#67Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/14/18 at 2:42am

Jordan Catalano said: "Marc Kudisch must be Fred!"

Marc is very talented but I would cast someone a little leaner to compliment Kelly.physically..

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#68Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/14/18 at 12:37pm

Isn't Fred being played by Will Chase?

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#69Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/14/18 at 12:41pm

I have no inside info, but I get the feeling that Robbie Fairchild will be part of this.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#70Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/14/18 at 1:04pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Q2PBOAbdIcU

Here's something to watch if you're doubting O'Hara's musical comedy chops.

Updated On: 4/14/18 at 01:04 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#71Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/14/18 at 1:13pm

Cosi fan Tutte was (yet another) star turn for Kelli. She was ROARINGLY funny. It’s ironic to me that on a Broadway stage, some see her as a bland opera singer, because on the Met Opera stage surrounded by other strictly opera singers, she was larger than life. She’ll be terrific in this.

SempreLiberal Profile Photo
SempreLiberal
#72Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/14/18 at 2:14pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Cosi fan Tutte was (yet another) star turn for Kelli. She was ROARINGLY funny. It’s ironic to me that on a Broadway stage, some see her as a bland opera singer, because on the Met Opera stage surrounded by other strictly opera singers, she was larger than life. She’ll be terrific in this. "

I couldn’t agree more. She was as vocally adept a Despina as others I’ve heard. Her unamplified voice was clear, with a nice tight vibrato, and it filled the house.  Plus, she owned that stage: her final costume, dance routine, and “country” accent when she came on as the Notary had me belly laughing. 

I’ve always been impressed with her - especially in her Vivian Beaumont trilogy (Piazza, South Pacific, King and I). And I am even more impressed now. 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#73Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/14/18 at 6:38pm

Thanks for posting that, GeorgeandDot. Great to see it again.

The hardest part about being a fan of Kelli O'Hara is to avoid comparing her life to mine. It seems that there is nothing she can't do, and do well.

In the recent Times interview of Renee Fleming and Kelli, she said, This is the other thing, and I’ll just say it: In opera I’m still playing the young girl. In musical theater, I’m too old to play some of these roles. Which is heartbreaking for me.

Kelli had made it crystal clear in an interview that she would love to play the role of Eliza. Since she and Bart are such great friends and colleagues who have enjoyed great mutual success, I'm sure the topic was broached in some way in some place at some time. 

Jarethan
#74Kelli O'Hara led Kiss Me Kate 2019 Broadway Revival!!!
Posted: 4/14/18 at 7:31pm

Valentina3 said: "Elegance101 said: "Definitely Studio 54, but they have to wait until COLG announces closing."

I cant imagine it will last that long, after light business during previews and pretty crummy reviews other than the Times.  I like the idea of the Sondheim.  It just seems like a good fit, in the center of things vs. the out of the way Studio 54.