pixeltracker

Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018- Page 3

Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#50Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:37am

Since the Grammys are being broadcast from NY this year, is it likely we’ll see some live performances from the broadway shows nominated?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#51Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:39am

Call_me_jorge said: "Since the Grammys are being broadcast from NY this year, is it likely we’ll see some live performances from the broadway shows nominated?"

That depends on the passerelle. 

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#52Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:51am

Ummmm...where’s Great Comet’s nomination? So happy for the others though

theater_tech
#53Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 10:59am

At this point, Great Comet not getting something/being robbed is so second nature to me that I feel nothing.

Once again, Come From Away continues to get overwhelming praise that surprise me. (I could also add this isn’t the first time they’ve robbed Great Comet’s award (cough) rachel chavkin (cough), but that’s just me being incredibly salty)

I kept looking for a “see more” button on my phone till I realized it was only 3 nominees.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#54Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 11:00am

Still very confused as to how Hamtilon had all of it’s leads nominated, while the past two years only one to three people have been nominated. Very upsetting for the casts of Come From Away, DEH and Dolly.

rjm516
#55Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 11:08am

theatre_tech it's not being salty (about Chavkin), it's being upset that the most incredible work wasn't what was awarded.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#56Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 11:34am

LesWickedly said: "Still very confused as to how Hamtilon had all of it’s leads nominated, while the past two years only one to three people have been nominated. Very upsetting for the casts of Come From Away, DEH and Dolly."

I have no idea how that process works, but could it be that the producers submit soloist names and the Grammy committees just approve or deny what has been submitted? The responsibility might fall onto the album producers. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Fordham2015
#57Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 11:47am

The Sunday in the Park with George snub is a disgrace

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#58Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 12:55pm

LesWickedly said: "Still very confused as to how Hamtilon had all of it’s leads nominated, while the past two years only one to three people have been nominated. Very upsetting for the casts of Come From Away, DEH and Dolly."

Right? I'm annoyed that because of these rules, Jenn Colella and Rachel Bay Jones (just to start) can't call themselves Grammy nominees.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#59Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 3:20pm

Assuming this will go to DEH automatically given the nominees, and the fact that Pasek & Paul seem to be on a winning spree. They will have won an undeserved Oscar, an undeserved Tony, and an undeserved Grammy all in the span of a year. That's quite an achievement! 

Call_me_jorge
#60Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 3:27pm

JBroadway said: "Assuming this will go to DEH automatically given the nominees, and the fact that Pasek & Paul seem to be on a winning spree.They will have won an undeserved Oscar, an undeserved Tony, and an undeserved Grammy all in the span of a year. That's quite an achievement!"

And what a rare achievement for two white guys!!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#61Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 3:29pm

^Wow, what a great way to invalidate their talent and accomplishments!!

theater_tech
#62Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 4:06pm

JBroadway said: "Assuming this will go to DEH automatically given the nominees, and the fact that Pasek & Paul seem to be on a winning spree.They will have won an undeserved Oscar, an undeserved Tony, and an undeserved Grammy all in the span of a year. That's quite an achievement!"

HAHAHHAHAHAHAA

This is one of the best comments I've read on this message board. Kudos to you, sir.

And they took it from three DIFFERENT people as well. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#63Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 4:38pm

Don't write off Hello, Dolly! just because you didn't think the album was well put together. I think it might actually have a shot of winning. It has three-time Grammy winner Bette Midler listed as a principal soloist. About six other times out of the last 18 years, the award went to the cast recording that happened to have major involvement from a previous Grammy winner as their secret weapon. They’ve included…

Aida-Original music composed by Elton John.
Jersey Boys-It utilized the songs of the Four Seasons.
American Idiot-It utilized the songs of Green Day.
Kinky Boots-Original score written by Cyndi Lauper.
Beautiful-It utilized the songs of Carole King.
The Color Purple-It had Jennifer Hudson listed as a principal soloist.

Updated On: 11/28/17 at 04:38 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#64Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 4:58pm

About six other times out of the last 18 years, the award went to the cast recording that happened to have major involvement from a previous Grammy winner as their secret weapon. They’ve included…

Aida-Original music composed by Elton John.
Jersey Boys-It utilized the songs of the Four Seasons.
American Idiot-It utilized the songs of Green Day.
Kinky Boots-Original score written by Cyndi Lauper.
Beautiful-It utilized the songs of Carole King.
The Color Purple-It had Jennifer Hudson listed as a principal soloist.

And how do you think those albums sold compared to the other nominees?  Known names = $$$ = award.  Of those same years, the only anomalies I can think that were surprising wins were West Side Story in 2010 (I would've figured on Shrek) and Gypsy in 2004 (definitely would have bet on Movin' Out).  I think Once had the edge over Newsies mainly because it did have Oscar recognition behind it (but it's also just a better album) and I don't know how well it sold, but I'm glad In the Heights beat out the more recognizable commercial Little Mermaid and Young Frankenstein (both backed by major Hollywood players with huge Broadway successes).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#65Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 5:45pm

GeorgeandDot said: "^Wow, what a great way to invalidate their talent and accomplishments!!"

what talent?

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#66Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 5:49pm

Blockhead24, they have tons of talent. They've written several great scores. Look, I'm as shocked as everyone that they're probably going to become EGOTS within the next year or so at such a young age and at such an early spot in their careers, but let's not invalidate the fact that they've written some good stuff and played their cards extremely well.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#67Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 6:02pm

GeorgeandDot said: "the fact that they've written some good stuff and played their cards extremely well."

I certainly wouldn't deny that they've played their cards well. I also wouldn't deny that they've written some good stuff. But neither of those things equate to deserving those awards.

And look, of course this is just our opinion. I almost always phrase my posts on this board as "I" statements, but sometimes when I'm feeling extra salty, as I am about P&P, I don't. But of course this is all subjective. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#68Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/28/17 at 6:22pm

the tony wasn’t completely unearned (for me it was between them and Natasha), and the oscar should have gone to them for the other nominated song, the DEH album is one of the best of the year.

but the fact that they will most likely EGOT before Lin-Manuel Miranda seems so abhorrent to me. sure it’s something that doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of life but i’m still kind of upset about it.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

mamaleh
#69Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/29/17 at 11:27am

I don't know the cut-off date for Grammy nominations, but if the HADESTOWN recording was eligible, its omission is the biggest snub of all.  

ebontoyan
#70Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/29/17 at 11:45am

So what TV projects are they working on for P&P to get an Emmy for the EGOT??!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#71Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/29/17 at 12:52pm

This isn't really an artistic award, correct? I know people like shows like Hadestown, etc, but this is more of a what sold the best, no? Winning Best Musical Theater Album doesn't totally mean that the Grammy's are saying it's a superior score, etc.

broadwaynerdnewbie Profile Photo
broadwaynerdnewbie
#72Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 11/29/17 at 1:07pm

ebontoyan said: "So what TV projects are they working on for P&P to get an Emmy for the EGOT??!"

Probably the live version of a Christmas story I guess they are adding some new songs to the score.

Call_me_jorge
#73Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 12/30/17 at 4:28pm

If you look at the nominee list, it now says all at DEH principles as soloists. Anyone know what prompted this change? It originally was only Ben.

Hello, Dolly still lists only Bette and Come From Away lists no one from the cast, so it must’ve been something the DEH producers petitioned.

Updated On: 12/30/17 at 04:28 PM

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#74Grammy Award for Best Musical Theatre Album 2018
Posted: 12/31/17 at 12:36pm

The Grammy rules state "Award to the principal vocalist(s) and the album producer(s) of 51% or more playing time of the album".   If you look at the Hamilton Cast Album, most of the cast is listed as performing on almost every song. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_(album)

Aren't several of the Dear Evan Hansen numbers also ensemble pieces, that may be the reason they got added because they were on at least 51% of the tracks.   But I looked at Come From Away and almost every track lists "Company".   I am sure it depends on how the Grammy committee define "principal vocalist" and producer petitions.