SPONGEBOB Reviews

Clyde15
#50SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 12:38am

Phantom of London said: "This show is the next Shrek, which got similar reviews, but couldn’t shift tickets.

This will be gone soon.
"

To be fair, Shrek lasted 3 years

michaelhale
#51SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 12:47am

Clyde15 said: "Phantom of London said: "This show is the next Shrek, which got similar reviews, but couldn’t shift tickets.

This will be gone soon.
"

"

Shrek only lasted a year on Broadway.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#52SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 12:49am

While I agree that Ethan Slater’s performance is a marvel of physical and comedic skill, as a fan of the early days of the cartoon (its heyday), I was completely baffled at how anyone could walk away from this show thinking it was anything other than a total mess. I mean... is there some kind of drug I missed out on entering the theater that made this whole thing worth watching? If so, I want it. Even as fluff, these reviews are making my head spin.

Updated On: 12/5/17 at 12:49 AM

Clyde15
#53SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 1:05am

michaelhale said: "Clyde15 said: "Phantom of London said: "This show is the next Shrek, which got similar reviews, but couldn’t shift tickets.

This will be gone soon.
"

"

Shrek only lasted a year on Broadway.
"

Ah you’re right, I was thinking 3 years because 2008-2010. But it premiered the end of 2008 and closed the beginning of 2010.

rjm516
#54SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 10:08am

That Chicago Tribune review was painful to read (not because it was mean or bad, just how choppily it was written). Sometimes I wonder how certain people get to be paid as journalists. 

Anyway, I had no desire to try to see this before but now I want to, it sounds fun.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#55SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 10:28am

I've been very much of a naysayer all along, and am still remaining steadfastly dubious as to both the productions supposed charms, and to Ethan Slater's supposedly inspired performance. Neither won me over in Chicago.
But the reviews have spoken, and blatantly and bluntly unmasked my biased ignorance of the situation.
Maybe it'll now win the Tony, Pulitzer, and even the Nobel, and the Broadway community can then simmer down.
Congratulations to everybody concerned from an obvious curmudgeon.

ashdiahen
#56SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 11:06am

There are other ways to get cheap tickets to this show, rush for instance is $30!

I loved this show and I didn't grow up watching SpongeBob, but I do have an appreciation for the arts and before you totally dismiss it, give it a try! It's worthwhile. 

theNYCpro Profile Photo
theNYCpro
#57SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 2:10pm

Count me as another who loved this show with ZERO familiarity with Spongebob going in. Happy to see the mostly positive reviews. 

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#58SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 2:26pm

Count me as one who will not spend a dime on seeing anything concerning SpongeBob.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

hamiltonboys
#59SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 2:27pm

Chicago Tribune: "Sponges lack nervous systems. Just as well. Broadway — where the hooks can come out — is no Bikini Bottom when it comes to hosting an optimistic porifera best known as a kids cable television brand, an animated star now bobbing dangerously close to irrelevance in cultural waters that flow far too quickly for a simple sponge to survive with impunity merely by singing out to Squidward Q. Tentacles, Patrick Star and Sandy Cheeks that this is the best day, ever."

I can't even tell what he is trying to say here (not to mention that Spongebob is nowhere near close to irrelevant in pop culture).

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#60SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 2:52pm

hamiltonboys said: "Chicago Tribune: "Sponges lack nervous systems. Just as well. Broadway — where the hooks can come out — is no Bikini Bottom when it comes to hosting an optimistic porifera best known as a kids cable television brand, an animated star now bobbing dangerously close to irrelevance in cultural waters that flow far too quickly for a simple sponge to survive with impunity merely by singing out to Squidward Q. Tentacles, Patrick Star and Sandy Cheeks that this is the best day, ever."

I can't even tell what he is trying to say here (not to mention that Spongebob is nowhere near close to irrelevant in pop culture).

"

Whatever point he's trying to make is lost in the grammatical hell of that run-on sentence. I can't imagine proofreading it and thinking it was ready for publication. It's painful to read.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#61SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 3:29pm

ashdiahen said: "There are other ways to get cheap tickets to this show, rush for instance is $30!

I loved this show and I didn't grow up watching SpongeBob, but I do have an appreciation for the arts and before you totally dismiss it, give it a try! It's worthwhile.
"

No, thanks.  It's not for me, and that's perfectly ok.  MIGHT I be missing out?  Could be, but I'll go ahead and take that chance.  I see most shows that hit the Great White Way....no harm in missing a few here and there.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#62SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 3:53pm

While I agree that Ethan Slater’s performance is a marvel of physical and comedic skill, as a fan of the early days of the cartoon (its heyday), I was completely baffled at how anyone could walk away from this show thinking it was anything other than a total mess.

That's how I felt after seeing the Chicago tryout.  Some cute stuff here and there but the book and score were an absolute mess.  The show was simply overstuffed with ideas and zero editing.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CPB2
#63SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 9:19pm

https://nypost.com/2017/12/05/the-spongebob-musical-could-be-a-surprise-hit/

The plan is to exploit an untapped market: families who want to go to the theater, but who’ve been scared away by skyrocketing ticket prices and the sense that Broadway is only for the 1 percent.

“SpongeBob” has lots of tickets to sell at a reasonable price. Before the show opened Monday, it was averaging $78 a ticket. That’s clicked up to about $98, which is still a steal compared to what people are paying to see Bette Midler in “Hello, Dolly!” and Bruce Springsteen in that little show of his.

“There’s a market they’re going for, and they should,” says a top theater executive. “Will they make back $20 million on Broadway? No. But the show is good; there will be a tour, and it can be done all over the world.”

CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
#64SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 11:11pm

ChiTheaterFan and others who have no desire to see the show b/c of the cartoon...

I was in the exact same boat.  I have never seen an episode of the cartoon and have absolutely no desire to lose that much time in my life, but when I saw the reviews start to come in, I went via Lottery (how bad could it be for $30, right?).

Let me just say that I had an absolutely fantastic time! The set design is wow!, the numbers were cute, the costumes were creative (especially Squidward) and the actors pretty good.  You have to go in ready for a cute non-sensical (I mean that in the best way) fun time - otherwise you will not enjoy it. 

Let it reel you in :)

p.s. I hope the show gets a stage design Tony nod, it was quite creative!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#65SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/5/17 at 11:18pm

CT2NYC said: "hamiltonboys said: "Chicago Tribune: "Sponges lack nervous systems. Just as well. Broadway — where the hooks can come out — is no Bikini Bottom when it comes to hosting an optimistic porifera best known as a kids cable television brand, an animated star now bobbing dangerously close to irrelevance in cultural waters that flow far too quickly for a simple sponge to survive with impunity merely by singing out to Squidward Q. Tentacles, Patrick Star and Sandy Cheeks that this is the best day, ever."

"

Whatever point he's trying to make is lost in the grammatical hell of that run-on sentence. I can't imagine proofreading it and thinking it was ready for publication. It's painful to read.
"

Well, Chris Jones was not born in the USA....

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#66SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/6/17 at 12:23pm

CT2NYC said: "hamiltonboys said: "Chicago Tribune: "Sponges lack nervous systems. Just as well. Broadway — where the hooks can come out — is no Bikini Bottom when it comes to hosting an optimistic porifera best known as a kids cable television brand, an animated star now bobbing dangerously close to irrelevance in cultural waters that flow far too quickly for a simple sponge to survive with impunity merely by singing out to Squidward Q. Tentacles, Patrick Star and Sandy Cheeks that this is the best day, ever."

"

"

Maybe he took NYT’s Brantley recommendation and toked up before the show and continued to light up while writing the review. 

ChiTheaterFan
#67SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/6/17 at 8:50pm

CarmenA3 said: "ChiTheaterFanand others who have no desire to see the show b/c of the cartoon...

I was in the exact same boat. I have never seen an episode of the cartoon and have absolutely no desire to lose that much time in my life, but when I saw the reviews start to come in, I went via Lottery (how bad could it be for $30, right?).

Let me just say that I had an absolutely fantastic time! The set design is wow!, the numbers were cute, the costumes were creative (especially Squidward) and the actors pretty good. You have to go in ready for a cute non-sensical (I mean that in the best way) fun time - otherwise you will not enjoy it.

Let it reel you in :)

p.s. I hope the show gets a stage design Tony nod, it was quite creative!
"

Fair enough. I would probably go if I lived in New York. (I actually wasn't in Chicago while it was playing there either.). If it tours and comes to wherever I am, I may check it out. But with only only one trip in the next 6 months at least, and only 5 spots, not this time. Glad to hear people are enjoying it!

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#68SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/6/17 at 9:00pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "While I agree that Ethan Slater’s performance is a marvel of physical and comedic skill, as a fan of the early days of the cartoon (its heyday), I was completely baffled at how anyone could walk away from this show thinking it was anything other than a total mess. I mean... is there some kind of drug I missed out on entering the theater that made this whole thing worth watching? If so, I want it. Even as fluff, these reviews are making my head spin."

Completely agree. I wanted to like it so much but found it such a disappointment. Unfocused direction, an unfunny book, and largely forgettable score. I was shocked to read these reviews.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#69SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/8/17 at 1:00am

I really like the cartoon and I saw the show tonight and you couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Absolutely loved it. I was also amused that the older couple next to me who didn't have any kids with them laughed throughout the show and were really enjoying themselves.

I love a good serious play/musical but sometimes I just want to smile and laugh the entire night and this was perfect for that.

I wish Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy could have made an appearance during the show though lol

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#70SPONGEBOB Reviews
Posted: 12/8/17 at 2:45pm

Well, Chris Jones was not born in the USA....

What does that matter?  These days, that's just considered an advantage.  English is his first language and probably that of the editors as well.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian