pixeltracker

Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring- Page 3

Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#50Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/8/18 at 6:56pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ll6AmHOYzU

Press day! Thoughts?

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#51Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/8/18 at 7:04pm

LaChanze sounds fantastic, but this just looks like an overall mess. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#52Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/8/18 at 7:20pm

This actually looks fun. LaChanze and Ariana Debose sound incredible.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

stlrod
#53Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/8/18 at 7:30pm

This looks so bad (and unnecessary) but LaChanze sounds amazing!

stlrod
#54Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/8/18 at 7:30pm

Double post sorry

Updated On: 3/8/18 at 07:30 PM

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#55Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/8/18 at 7:37pm

Are those suitcase chicks from Deal or No Deal?

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#56Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/8/18 at 7:39pm

I dont understand if there will be a legit story to it like beautiful or it will be a lousey quick story that makes zero sense cause its so rushed.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

BwayLover5
#57Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/8/18 at 8:05pm

It is like Beautiful as in that it is a bio musical but a little more non-linear with the device of the three Donnas. The musical numbers are very entertaining and engaging and a joy... but, the book, as stated before, is awful.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#58Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/8/18 at 11:21pm

Just judging by how rushed it was to get to Broadway, and the fact that the marquee poster looks like a quick google image search and powerpoint font choice....I'm gonna think this is gonna be a mess. But maybe an entertaining mess.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#59Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/8/18 at 11:57pm

Lord does this look awful. That staging for She Work Hard for the Money. Oof. I love me some Donna, and indeed LaChanze sounds great, but...oof.

Olivia11
#60Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/9/18 at 12:03am

This clip was fairly representative of the show I saw in La Jolla: really outstanding lead vocals... poor use and choreography for the ensemble with lackluster scenery and odd direction.

perfectliar
#61Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/9/18 at 9:46am

Olivia11 said: "This clip was fairly representative of the show I saw in La Jolla: really outstanding lead vocals... poor use and choreography for the ensemble with lackluster scenery and odd direction."

Dude, its a rehearsal space.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#62Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/9/18 at 10:02am

The lyrics have always been absurd, but hearing someone sing "Someone left the cake out in the rain..." in a serious theatrical context actually made me laugh out loud. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#63Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/9/18 at 10:06am

Dude, its a rehearsal space.

Olivia11 is referring to La Jolla

Olivia11
#64Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/9/18 at 10:06am

Dude, its a rehearsal space."

I was speaking of the show itself. Obviously, it's a rehearsal hall. The real sets are not that much better. 

Updated On: 3/9/18 at 10:06 AM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#65Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/9/18 at 10:09am

Is it an all female cast? I didn’t see any men in that rehearsal clip.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Olivia11
#66Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/9/18 at 10:14am

Mostly women - ensemble is women playing both genders. There are a few men -- her father, an agent, etc.

The dual gender directorial choice didn't help the show. Sometimes it works. I did not feel it worked in this show.

Updated On: 3/9/18 at 10:14 AM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#67Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/9/18 at 4:28pm

I wonder if LaChanze will get a random Tony award nomination for this like Mary Bridget Davies did for A Night with Janis Joplin. I can see some in the Tony nominating committee responding to Donna Summer even if there is an obtuse, confusing book in-between the songs and some distracting and low-rent choreography enveloping the staging. I'm sure people are just going to come for the songs and some lighting effects anyway. I expect it to be basically Dreamgirls' "One Night Only" but with much worse staging and lasting about 2 hours more-or-less.

Updated On: 3/9/18 at 04:28 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#68Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/9/18 at 4:33pm

^i can definitely see that. Especially if the tony nominatiors feel the same way about Carousel as this board does.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

VintageSnarker
#69Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/10/18 at 1:09am

Olivia11 said: "This clip was fairly representative of the show I saw in La Jolla: really outstanding lead vocals... poor use and choreography for the ensemble with lackluster scenery and odd direction."

I kind of want to go just to hear LaChanze sing but WHY is that the choreography? Also, neither of them really look like Donna to me or seem to be channeling her.

Alessio2
#71Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/14/18 at 5:44pm

My husband and I are huge Donna Summer fans and we saw this mess of a show in La Jolla, we were so disappointed.  We will be in New York next month and he is insisting on seeing this again because he thinks it will have gotten better and he really "wants to love it"...ugh.  Personally I think this is a waste of a show slot.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#72Breaking: SUMMER: THE DONNA SUMMER MUSICAL Will Hustle to Broadway This Spring
Posted: 3/14/18 at 8:23pm

As a huge Summer fan for the past 40 years, I'm so disappointed to hear these negative reviews of the show. With the pedigree of the people behind it, I would expect a top-notch, engaging musical about Summer's legacy. I'm not too excited about seeing this in the future. 

Videos