pixeltracker

The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread- Page 2

The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread

Dollypop
#25The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:47am

A friend of mine was an understudy for an Off Broadway comedy that Buckley was starring in. My buddy went on several times in different roles, so I saw the show quite a few times. At one performance Buckley's part was played by her understudy, who was superior to Buckley in every way.

Betty Buckley just lacks warmth and humor.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#26The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:51am

QueenAlice said: "Okay the one thing Buckley is not organically is warm and funny. So this should be interesting."

I agree. I've seen her in 'Sunset Boulevard' back in 1996, and she was superb in that role. Her voice is exquisite (I have a few of her CDs). Yet I can't see her in the role of 'Dolly'. I think Ebersole would be the better choice. It will be interesting. 

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#27BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 12:00pm

Did they even approach Andrea Martin???? 

I love Buckley, but I'm seeing this out of pure curiosity. 

Wonder if they'll pull a Merrick like stunt with the advertising:

BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Updated On: 2/12/18 at 12:00 PM

hellobroadway
#28BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 12:09pm

Does anyone know if this tour will stop in Atlanta?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#29The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 12:23pm

Dollypop said: "A friend of mine was an understudy for an Off Broadway comedy that Buckley was starring in. My buddy went on several times in different roles, so I saw the show quite a few times. At one performance Buckley's part was played by her understudy, who was superior to Buckley in every way.

"

Dollypop:  when was this?  For me she has gotten warmer with age.  But I can’t imagine she was  castings first choice .

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

broadwayboy223
#30The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread
Posted: 2/12/18 at 12:26pm

I'm kinda bummed. I wanted to see Ebersole. Maybe she'll be the other Broadway name they bring in for a short before a "big star"

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#31BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 12:26pm

Dollypop said: "A friend of mine was an understudy for an Off Broadway comedy that Buckley was starring in. My buddy went on several times in different roles, so I saw the show quite a few times. At one performance Buckley's part was played by her understudy, who was superior to Buckley in every way.

"  When I first saw this, I thought : "Hmmm?"  I didn't know what to make of it.  I agree with Dollypop.  Betty Buckley, as fantastic as she is, doesn't exude warmth.  She was scheduled to be part of the musical "Tales of the City"..then she wasn't.  She was supposed to be the mother lead in "Brothers and Sisters", then she wasn't and Sally Field took over the role.  I'm not really overwhelmed by this casting choice.  My dream choice would be Beth Leavel.  She's done the role before (regionally) and has a warm/quirky personality.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

LarryD2
#32BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 12:56pm

Almira said: "Did they even approach Andrea Martin????

I love Buckley, but I'm seeing this out of pure curiosity.

Wonder if they'll pull a Merrick like stunt with the advertising:

"

Andrea has been candid about her dislike of long runs, so I imagine signing on to a tour for 6 months to a year is not something she'd consider. Also, isn't she on a television show?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#33BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 12:59pm

JBC3 said: "Buckley has displayed comedic chops on TV and in a play or two if I recall correctly."

She was also in the original cast of The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#34BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 1:03pm

Did the Channing versions tour with a passerelle?  After the Bette/Tony performance debacle, I can't imagine this not having one.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#35BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 1:05pm

Did the Channing versions tour with a passerelle?

The Channing tour that I saw in the early eighties did have a passerelle.  

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#36BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 1:06pm

However, she managed to pull off that hilarious curtain line in Triumph of Love flawlessly.

Almira Profile Photo
Almira
#37BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 1:34pm

Thanks, LarryD2.

Then my next guess is that Ruth Buzzi was busy.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. - Eleanor Roosevelt

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#38BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 1:38pm

Something of interest.. pertaining to the rumors of Bette Midler  playing the West Coast,   On Betty's Facebook page people have been congratulating her and stating the different cities they will be seeing her at.  She answers with a comment or heart to everyone.  But when a West Coast city is mentioned she doesn't respond at all.  

UncleCharlie
#39BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 1:48pm

Almira said: "Thanks, LarryD2.

Then my next guess is that Ruth Buzzi was busy.
"

Yes, I'm sure that must be the reason she wasn't cast.

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#40BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 2:04pm

I enjoyed Buckley's take on Norma Desmond. It was far different than any other actress I saw in the role. Yet I still don't see her as a Dolly. Her Rose was a power house to be reckoned with for all the wrong reasons with no warmth at all. Maybe she'll surprise us or maybe she'll be Dolly on a rampage. Time will tell.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#41BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 2:45pm

It's ironic - when I saw Channing in the final tour back in 1994-95, she was 73. Everyone thought she was 'too old' to play the character, after all - she was in her 70s!  Now it looks like Midler, Peters and Buckley are all in their 70s playing Dolly (Peters turns 70 in two weeks) and no one says they're too old. I wonder why?

PS - I think Christine Baranski would have been a wonderful 'Dolly'. Too bad she's not touring with it. She would have brought the warmth and humor with it. 

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#42BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 2:48pm

Cannot imagine why this is happening. Buckley, even in her great heyday as a Broadway star, was hardly a household name, and has been stated, neither an especially warm or funny performer. Her name alone wouldn't sell many tickets; yes, the show is probably a big pre-sell, but what a disappointment. 

Trish2
#43BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 2:52pm

JOANNE WORLEY!

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#44BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 2:54pm

"Now it looks like Midler, Peters and Buckley are all in their 70s playing Dolly (Peters turns 70 in two weeks) and no one says they're too old."

A lot - I mean a LOT of people have said that Midler and Peters were/are too old to play the part as well as it could be.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#45BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 2:55pm

Again.... not sure why people think a tour needs a big name, or even a name... this show could be touring with Linda Mugleston and it would still do well, because it would be playing to subscriber houses. And houses that Hamilton is also touring at.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#46BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 2:59pm

Betty Buckley is my ultimate and I truly believe hers to be the greatest voice ever to grace the Great White Way. This is event casting to me and I will move heaven and hell to get there and see her.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#47BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 3:01pm

"Betty Buckley is my ultimate and I truly believe hers to be the greatest voice ever to grace the Great White Way."

But what has she done for you lately? (I mean, have you heard her sing in the last few years?)

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#48BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 3:04pm

newintown said: ""Betty Buckley is my ultimate and I truly believe hers to be the greatest voice ever to grace the Great White Way."

But what has she done for you lately? (I mean, have you heard her sing in the last few years?)
"

This was from 8 months ago: https://youtu.be/vkdHz--s7lw

2 months ago: https://youtu.be/4098WIMnIdg

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#49BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 3:06pm

newintown said: ""Betty Buckley is my ultimate and I truly believe hers to be the greatest voice ever to grace the Great White Way."

"

I have .  And her voice is still fabulous .  It’s weird casting.  But I will be there.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!