pixeltracker

David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway- Page 2

David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#25David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/18 at 5:23pm

Has there ever been a bad Lola? I saw Billy Porter, J. Harrison Ghee and I;ve seen videos also of Todrick Hall. It seems as if you can't really lose in that role.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#26David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/18 at 5:48pm

Yes. I saw Timothy Ware (Lola standby)go on for Billy during the second year. Dreadful. No comic timing, flat, no emotions. I won the lottery two years ago when Brady was originally in it. went to pick up my ticket and Ware was up on the u/s for Lola. I asked for a refund and luckily the box office understood and gave me one.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

greenifyme2
#27David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/18 at 7:36pm

Won the lottery for tomorrow. I’ve seen the show only once before with J Harrison Ghee and he blew. me. away. I can’t remeber who Charlie was because he was pretty unmemorable. Looking forward to tomorrow!

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#28David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/18 at 8:26pm

Today is Kinky Boots 5th anniversary. Happy birthday Kinky Boots!

VintageSnarker
#29David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/4/18 at 10:16pm

Thoughts?

I haven't thought about him since his season of American Idol. I thought he wasn't the right type but with a shave and his hair styled like that for the photo, he seems fine. I have no idea if he can act or not. Also, damn, those boots make everyone's legs look amazing.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#30David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/5/18 at 12:14am

poisonivy2 said: "Today is Kinky Boots 5th anniversary. Happy birthday Kinky Boots!"

And they got new Playbills to celebrate.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhJ5dVcApsf/

mailhandler777
#31David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/5/18 at 12:54am

poisonivy2 said: "Has there ever been a bad Lola? I saw Billy Porter, J. Harrison Ghee and I;ve seen videos also of Todrick Hall. It seems as if you can't really lose in that role."

I personally didn't like Billy all that much. I LOVED Nick Rashad Burroughs and though Kyle Taylor Parker(I think that was his name) was ok. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

Zamedy154
#32David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/5/18 at 2:53am

poisonivy2 said: "Has there ever been a bad Lola? I saw Billy Porter, J. Harrison Ghee and I;ve seen videos also of Todrick Hall. It seems as if you can't really lose in that role."

Timothy Ware. AWFUL. Dreadful. My then-boyfriend and I took his parents to see Wayne during his first run with the show but he was out, so we got Ware. We should have asked for our money back. A totally different experience (And not in a good way). You'd think the understudy would give 110 percent since they are getting a chance to shine ON BROADWAY. Nope. You totally got the sense that Ware couldn't care less and was walking through the show. As an understudy.

I have never seen Billy but I have been fortunate enough to see several other Lolas. We went back later and were able to see Wayne and he was stellar. J. Harrison Ghee remains my favorite Lola, though. He becomes her in every sense, and you root from her almost from the start.

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#33David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/5/18 at 3:50am

Zamedy154 said: "poisonivy2 said: "Has there ever been a bad Lola? I saw Billy Porter, J. Harrison Ghee and I;ve seen videos also of Todrick Hall. It seems as if you can't really lose in that role."

Timothy Ware. AWFUL. Dreadful. My then-boyfriend and I took his parents to see Wayne during his first run with the show but he was out, so we got Ware. We should have asked for our money back. A totally different experience (And not in a good way). You'd think the understudy would give 110 percent since they are getting a chance to shine ON BROADWAY. Nope. You totally got the sense that Ware couldn't care less and was walking through the show. As an understudy.

I have never seen Billy but I have been fortunate enough to see several other Lolas. We went back later and were able to see Wayne and he was stellar. J. Harrison Ghee remains my favorite Lola, though. He becomes her in every sense, and you root from her almost from the start.
"

Ware wasn't any better as the actual (rather than u/s) Lola when I saw him on tour. I felt like he was trying to emulate the film Lola which doesn't work on stage, especially in a huge touring theater. Loved the other 3 Lolas I've seen - Porter, Ghee, and Parker. My favorite, by far, is also J. Harrison Ghee. Just phenomenal ALL around!!!

Out of the Charlies, my favorite was my first - Andy Kelso. But also really enjoyed Killian Donnelly. Thought he was wonderful. Didn't care for the tour Charlie at all and the second tour Charlie was an u/s who was okay, but not memorable.

Very much wish I could see the Brady/Cook combo, but alas won't be in the city again until May.

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#34David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/5/18 at 6:32pm

Seen the show four times now:

Lolas(top three are all close, then there's #4):

1. Porter

2. J. Harrison

3. Brady

4. Timothy Ware

Charlies

1. Stark Sands

2. David Cook

3, John Jeffrey Martin

4. Andy Kelso

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

greenifyme2
#35David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/5/18 at 8:31pm

I’m at the show tonight. Missing Ghee, but Brady is spot on with with his comedic timing as expected. Cook’s voice is dreadful. Whoever said his voice was flat, there’s no denying it. He simply can’t sing the score and is really struggling with any power or upper register. His acting is far superior, he’s a believable dorky Charlie at least. Never would have guessed this was him in a million years.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#36David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/6/18 at 1:34pm

Yeah, I was amazing how much the audience was into the show in Tuesday. Glad to see the show still selling well after 5 years.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#38David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/6/18 at 5:08pm

He sounded really good this past Wednesday afternoon,

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#39David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/6/18 at 5:12pm

I thought he sounded fine on Tuesday. Can't say he sounded great on the Today show. And that medley was awkward.

greenifyme2
#40David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/6/18 at 5:27pm

I cringed at several notes on the Today show. His acting last night, however, was a pleasant surprise. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#41David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/10/18 at 2:33pm

Cook singing "Soul of a Man" acoustic version.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/VIDEO-KINKY-BOOTS-Star-David-Cook-Performs-Acoustic-Soul-of-a-Man-20180410

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#42David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/10/18 at 5:25pm

ACL2006 said: "I thought he sounded fine on Tuesday. Can't say he sounded great on the Today show. And that medley was awkward."

I think, as a whole, that was a rough performance. I'm reminded of the OBC performing on THE VIEW just before the Tonys years ago, and it sounded "off" as well. I think ultimately KINKY BOOTS is a show that is so broad and powerful that it needs to fill more than just a 200-seat TV studio, lest it threatens to overwhelm or look unpolished.

I felt the same way when ROCK OF AGES downsized their theatre, but kept mostly the same design. It was much more overwhelming in that small venue than the original one.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#43David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/11/18 at 12:13pm

Friends were visiting this past weekend and all wanted to see Wayne Brady in KINKY BOOTS so off I went and joined them. The last time I saw the show was with the original bway cast back in 2013. Wow. I loved Brady's performance and singing! I liked it so much that I liked his interpretation of Lola compared to Billy Porter's! 

David Cook was great too though I loved Stark Sands's performance. Of the three starring roles, I'll admit I had high expectations for Kristin from Pentatonix since I'm a huge Pentatonix fan but I liked Annaleigh more in that role. 

I forgot some parts of the show and am so glad I got to see it again! I almost didn't recognize David Cook since he looked soooo polished and not scruffy.

mxfish1313
#44David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/18/18 at 12:07pm

I saw the matinee last Sunday 4/15 and thought David was.. okay. I saw the show on its recent tour and fell in love and had a spot to fill in my visit so my mom and I decided to get tix for this. I was excited to see Brady but was a little worried about Cook after reading this thread before I left for my trip. I thought he was stronger in the 2nd act than the first, and I agree that his acting was surprisingly good, but I just don't think his voice is dynamic enough for Broadway. You can hear him fighting for the right tone, whereas someone like Stark Sands (or most career Broadway performers) make it sound effortless. It's not just being flat or pitchy, it's also not having that "feeling"... it doesn't make your heart swell and fill you up. He's an accomplished singer, but when you're starring with someone like Brady who stole the whole damn show, it's just not a fair fight. That was my opinion, anyways. I'm not going to tell someone not to see it with him, but don't expect his voice to transcend heaven and earth.

robskynyc
#45David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/18/18 at 12:43pm

mxfish1313 said: "You can hear him fighting for the right tone, whereas someone like Stark Sands (or most career Broadway performers) make it sound effortless."

Sat front row last night and I agree 100%. He was just off and struggling to find the notes in certain songs. And when they sang "Take What You Got," David was completely outsung by the other guy.

Wayne Brady, however, was HILARIOUS and sounded great.

greenifyme2
#46David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 4/18/18 at 12:46pm

robskynyc said. And when they sang "Take What You Got," David was completely outsung bythe other guy.

YES! Who is that other guy? His voice just soared.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#47David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 6/19/18 at 12:12pm

Cook to return July 17 for a 8 week run replacing Tyler Glenn. Wonder if September 8 might be the current target closing date or if the show holds out through the end of the year?

David Cook to return to KINKY BOOTS

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#48David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 6/19/18 at 12:15pm

Can we get Stark Sands and Billy Porter to come back again in the fall to close it out?

It deserves a better closing than Cook...

CPannullo
#49David Cook to join Kinky Boots on Broadway
Posted: 6/19/18 at 12:22pm

Hoping September 8th is the closing date. If not that, i hope it makes it through January and allows something else to open in the spring

Updated On: 6/19/18 at 12:22 PM

Videos