pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 4:03pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 4/1/2018 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: THE ICEMAN COMETH (100.0%), ROCKTOPIA (81.9%), THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG (18.8%), A BRONX TALE THE MUSICAL (18.4%), SCHOOL OF ROCK (16.4%), SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS (13.2%), BEAUTIFUL (10.4%), KINKY BOOTS (10.3%), LOBBY HERO (10.2%), ANASTASIA (10.0%), CHICAGO (9.1%), MY FAIR LADY (8.8%), HELLO, DOLLY! (8.7%), THE BAND'S VISIT (4.8%), THREE TALL WOMEN (4.2%), WAITRESS (4.0%), ALADDIN (3.2%), THE LION KING (3.1%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (3.0%), COME FROM AWAY (2.3%), FROZEN (2.1%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (1.2%), WICKED (1.0%), DEAR EVAN HANSEN (0.4%), MEAN GIRLS (0.1%), CAROUSEL (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance was: CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD (-7.4%), ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE (-2.8%), ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (-1.8%), ANGELS IN AMERICA (-0.6%), HAMILTON (-0.2%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

barcelona20
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 4:13pm

About 65% of Broadway shows were sold out or almost sold out (95% and above) last week. Pretty impressive!

Updated On: 4/2/18 at 04:13 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 4:17pm

barcelona20 said: "About 65% of Broadway shows weresold out or almost sold out (95% and above)last week. Pretty impressive!"

Spring break, most likely?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 4:17pm

I know it's because of spring break but good for Spongebob!

I think Margaritaville will close right after the Tony noms.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 4:27pm

I love seeing that HELLO, DOLLY still has legs with Bernadette. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 4:30pm

I'm constantly impressed with Waitress's numbers. Even without 'a star,' they're still selling well! 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 4:36pm

Am I the only one who is SHOCKED by that four-performance number for Summer?

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 4:36pm

It looks like I may very like it make it back to NYC in June and most of my desired shows are doing well enough to still be open but still available via TKTS/box office.

- Once on This Island (M)

- My Fair Lady (M)

-Three Tall Women (closes 6/24) (P) 

- Angels in America (closes 7/1) (P)

- The Boys in the Band (previews start 4/30) (Closes 8/12) (P)

- Skintight (off-Broadway) (starts previews 5/31) (Closing 8/26)

- Saint Joan (previews start 4/3) (Closing 6/10) (P)

- Spongebob Squarepants (M)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 4:40pm

Great numbers for most!!! Margaritaville doesn't exactly appeal to the families on Spring break. But it's future looks bleak.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 4:46pm

TFMH18 said: "Am I the only one who is SHOCKED by that four-performance number for Summer?"

You are not alone! I couldn't figure out how it hadn't shown up on TDF yet, but...who knew?! I'm also surprised to see Iceman Cometh so high only because it WAS on TDF last week. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 4:52pm

This has gotta be the first time in well over a year where Hamilton has not been the top grossing show of the week.

a-mad
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 4:58pm

Spectacular for Frozen.  Yeah it's Spring Break, but those are impressive #"s and a healthy increase in ticket price as well.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 5:01pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "This has gotta be the first time in well over a year where Hamilton has not been the top grossing show of the week."

In fairness, The Lion King did have one more performance. I mean...the numbers on it are still extraordinary--especially for a show that's been open 20 years!!!!

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 5:04pm

I'm always very impressed at shows like Lion King and Wicked that stand the test of time in the ways that they have. It makes me wonder if we'll be saying that about Hamilton in 20 years, or if it will eventually start to fall. I certainly hope it's the former, because it's a magnificent production.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 5:07pm

Miles2Go2 said: "- TheBoys in the Band (previews start 4/30) (Closes 8/12) (P)"

8/11, actually.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 5:37pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "I'm always very impressed at shows likeLion KingandWickedthat stand the test of time in the ways that they have. It makes me wonder if we'll be saying that aboutHamiltonin 20 years, or if it will eventually start to fall. I certainly hope it's the former, because it's a magnificent production."

I think if they do what wicked does and gets a new set of Leads every 6 months. then Hamilton will stick around for 20 years. The cast now is just so boring in my honest opionion, it needs some new blood.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18
Updated On: 4/2/18 at 05:37 PM

Jarethan
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 5:55pm

Several thoughts:

1.  To those who predicted that demand for DEH would go down post Platt, he has been gone 4 months now and the average ticket price is only behind Hamilton and the obscenely priced Springsteen show; and, given the miserable musicals produced this season, I am willing to bet that the demand is not going down any time in the foreseeable future.  

2.  Is Beautiful reaching the end?  The past two summers saw Beautiful grosses buck trends and go down.  If that is the case here, how much longer can it last?

3.  I am thinking that once kids are out of school, Spongebob seems pretty guaranteed to run through the summer, based on its increased business when kids are off for holidays.  A successful Tony performance would not hurt business.  

4.  If you compare the first 13 weeks of Chicago's grosses this year to the first thirteen weeks of its post-holiday grosses in 2017 (to put them on an equal base), 2018 is ahead of 2017 by about 5%.  I continue to be boggled by its staying power.  Kinky Boots is exactly where it was at this time last year.  If the trend continues per 2016, not Brendon Urie's year, I am guessing that KB will still be opened at year-end 2018.

5.  If they can continue to manage costs and average $350K a week as they have done so far this year -- an given that the Lyceum is not an in-demand theatre -- I am betting that TPTGW also stands an excellent chance of being here until the end of the year, certainly at least Labor Day.  I really disliked the show, but I am delighted that it is continuing to attract audiences.

6.  I was actually disappointed with Dolly's gross.  I really expected that the average price of a ticket would go up more than $0.72 per ticket last week, given the holiday week.  Look at how much the average ticket price went up for so many other shows.  I guess it really will underperform -- relative to where I would have expected it to be, given the original reviews, and the fact that it is barely into its second year (not even a year since the official opening night) --  unless they can draw someone bigger than a Broadway legend.  (I actually think Audra McDonald would draw large audiences at a considerably higher ticket price, although I am not sure if her voice is right for the score).

7.  I am AMAZED at Anastasis's grosses.  Although not selling out, it has averaged over $920K per week year-to-date.  This for a show that got (well-deserved) totally mediocre reviews and virtually no Tony love.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 6:16pm

Play that Goes Wrong’s nut is between $275k and $300k. The show is making money, and the Shubert Org won’t execute their Stop clause unless they have a surefire hit clamoring for the Lyceam (which will be a very cold day in H%#@). Considering they’ve extended their group sales window until September, I would expect an extension notice come Tony Nomination Day. The real question is when will it officially recoup.

Addipia94 Profile Photo
Addipia94
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 6:45pm

HenryTDobson said: "I'm constantly impressed with Waitress's numbers. Even without 'a star,'they're still selling well!"

Same! I saw the show shortly after it opened and only returned for the second time last Friday and was able to get a standing room ticket! I didn't think it was still selling out, but I guess so :P 

Jarethan
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 7:13pm

Maybe, it'll never recoup.  I can think of two long-runs that did not: Shenandoah ran over 1,000 performances 40 years ago, which was a MUCH BIGGER DEAL in those days and didn't recoup.  Jeckyl (sic) / Hyde ran almost 4 years and never recouped.

That said, the longer it runs, the longer people are employed AND it becomes that much more of a potential monster hit for every regional theatre and college in the country.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 7:15pm

Jarethan said: "Maybe, it'll never recoup. I can think of two long-runs that did not: Shenandoah ran over 1,000 performances40 years ago, which was a MUCH BIGGER DEAL in those days and didn't recoup. Jeckyl (sic) / Hyde ran almost 4 years and never recouped.

That said, the longer it runs, the longer people are employed AND it becomes that much more of a potential monster hit for every regional theatre and college in the country.
"

The producers have already announced that they were over 70% recouped, and we expecting to recoup during the first quarter.

Jarethan
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 7:19pm

That's great.  Sorta 'The Little Engine That Could' Broadway style.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 7:27pm

While Spongebob's increase is causing some precious individuals to commence an enthusiastic jump for joy, the bottom line is that last week's total was only 73% of its gross potential.
IMHO, still not that wonderful for a new show.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 7:37pm

Looking at those numbers for MFL and Carousel make me happy. Good to know ther'es still a market for classic musicals.

Jarethan
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/1/18
Posted: 4/2/18 at 7:42pm

Agreed.  I am already assuming that nothing is going to change its trajectory to be a financial failure, but there have been a lot of really entertaining shows that were financial failures despite decent runs.  The longer the show runs, the more employment, the more audiences get to enjoy it (or, admittedly, not), the more viable it becomes for a lot of regional productions, etc.  

I have to admit that I have not seen it yet (out of town), only have a couple of remaining slots to fill in my next trip (and I am not likely to see this at that time, because of the competition for those slots); however, if it is still opened in October, when I return to Florida, it has an increased likelihood of being one of the shows that I see.