pixeltracker

What show should my highschool do?

What show should my highschool do?

santeFEEE
#1What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 6:25pm

My drama teacher has tasked me with helping her pick the school musical (I am her assistant director) She said she wants a show with a strong male cast and a plus would be using fly wires. She wants to stay away from disney shows excluding mary poppins, newsies, and any other show that wasn't a main stream cartoon. We are getting a new theater and it will have a giant stage. She wants to top the other high school's production of btab, so she really wants a huge set. I have had a couple of ideas one of which is "Ragtime" and my other is "A Chorus Line" in case she doesn't want the huge set. In recent years we have done "Cats", "Oliver!", "Fiddler on the Roof", "Hairspray", and "Into the Woods". What are your ideas?

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#2What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 6:31pm

Make sure you're pulling from a diverse casting pool before suggesting Ragtime

The Producers has mostly male leads and, but obviously the subject matter could be touchy for a high school

santeFEEE
#3What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 6:34pm

We have enough poc to do Ragtime so that wouldn't be a problem, I just don't know if the audience would enjoy it. I feel like they would only enjoy three songs. (Wheels of a dream, Prologue, Make them hear you) Les Miserables was another we were thinking about but after watching other highschool productions I don't know about it.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 7:04pm

With the first-ever Broadway production of THE BOYS IN THE BAND coming up, this would be of interest with its historial time stamp on it, plus cool late 60s/early 70s fashion.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#5What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 7:23pm

If you want to use fly wires - then It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman - some version (especially one that eliminates/modifies the villainous Chinese Acrobats).  

Billy Elliott - should use fly wires - except high school kids are probably too big for the roles.

Titanic - big set, big cast, you could use wires for the sinking

Man of La Mancha

bwaylvsong
#6What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 7:32pm

Addams Family! Lots of male roles and you can fly Uncle Fester in the end.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#7What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 7:54pm

When I think strong male cast of course Les Mis comes to mind but EVERYBODY does Les Mis. It could be something that with a big stage you'd be able to make an impressive set for. But let's see... if you are looking for some different, uncommon for high school ideas... what about Spamalot? Certainly has a large male cast. The set can be big and flashy. Tim the Enchanter usually flies in and out. It really just depends on how the school's population would handle the comedy of it and the whole Lancelot is totally gay big old song and dance number. It can be a button pusher in uptight areas but if you have a chill bunch of parents, it seems like it might be a good fit for a comedy choice.

BroadwayMan5
#8What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 7:59pm

If you have a lot of guys and a diverse cast then I think Ragtime is a fantastic option. I've found that it's not super well known among the non-theatre crowd but it seems to really move them when they do see it.

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#9What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 8:07pm

Oklahoma!

Zanna Don't

Half a Sixpence

Me and My Girl

Merrily We Roll Along

Guys and Dolls

Hello Dolly!

Once On This Island

Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

santeFEEE
#10What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 8:35pm

We have narrowed it down, please more suggestions though lol

Ragtime

Les Miserables- We are kinda straying away from it because it is so easy to screw up

Titanic

Some other shows we are looking into (not strong male cast):

Freaky Friday

Come from Away

Ms. Saigon

If the rights are available by next year we are most likely going to try to perform Something Rotten. I really want to do Ragtime but everyone else seemed really bored by it (We were showing clips from the shows) They only liked wheels of a dream lol

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#11What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 8:40pm

How about THE WHO'S TOMMY. It has a mostly male cast and the original Broadway production had flying and a big colorful set. It's 'edgy' for a high school - but I've seen it done successfully by high schools before.

Sadly, I don't think SOMETHING ROTTEN or COME FROM AWAY will be available for high school licensing by next year.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

cjmclaughlin10
#12What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 8:50pm

Damn Yankees could be fun

How to Suceed in Businesses Without Really Trying

I love the idea of Superman (Encores and John Rando) did a fantastic production not too long ago

It is a fantastic thing that your school has such strong male participation

cjmclaughlin10
#13What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 8:59pm

On The Town is also an exciting choice

Barnum was a really fun way to introduce our new HS theatre space to the community

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#14What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 9:34pm

I would love to see a production of Ragtime that makes extensive use of fly wires.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#15What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 11:20pm

Hair.

Tom5
#16What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 11:23pm

Bye Bye Birdie. Much of the cast would be age appropriate and of course a great score.

TheatreRocks Profile Photo
TheatreRocks
#17What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/16/18 at 11:43pm

A Chorus Line!

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#18What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/17/18 at 8:45am

I think one of the most wonderful things about A Chorus Line is that the audience sits through a whole evening of giant bare stage and minimal costumes and "production values", but that at the end can be absolutely bowled over with a gigantic and spectacular set and costumes.   I think it might be a great way to break in that "huge" new theatre.   

Curious, by "fly wires" did you mean flies for scenery or for flying actors?  It seems to be taken both ways here.  

codywlong2
#19What show should my highschool do?
Posted: 4/17/18 at 5:46pm

"Damn Yankees" and "How to Succeed" have great, largely male casts. If you're flying scenery, both work. You could totally fly Finch in the opening of "H2S", as he appears as a window washer in the beginning.