pixeltracker

The Next Great Broadway Revival- Page 4

The Next Great Broadway Revival

Stephen75
#75The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/22/18 at 9:54pm

Saoirse Ronan in Cabaret in a couple of years, when Roundabout wants a quick cash-grab. Laurie Metcalf in Gypsy directed by Joe Mantello (even though she's not a singer, I don't care. I'd kill to see her take on some of the great Sondheim roles.) Toni Collette in Next To Normal. (Or Gypsy, to be honest.)

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#76The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/22/18 at 10:10pm

Saoirse Ronan and Timothee Chalamet should absolutely do Cabaret at Roundabout. They'd be great and both have enough musical ability to take on those parts. That show is so relevant and I know we just had that revival back, but I think that's it's too timely to pass by.

Also, Caroline, or Change with Uzo Aduba, Jane Krakowski, and Hailey Kilgore. Hopefully directed by Sam Gold or Michael Arden.

Also, a Ragtime revival starring Jamie Foxx, Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Kerry Washington. Or a film. That would work as well.

Also, in about 10-15 years, Sher needs to do Follies at the Vivian Beaumont starring Kelli O'Hara and Laura Benanti.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#77The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/22/18 at 10:18pm

Robbie2 said: "MAME w/ Toni Collette Directed by Jerry Zaks"

Yes yes yes

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#78The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/22/18 at 10:24pm

I’m seeing a lot of Rachel Chavkin suggestions, but honestly, i’d love for her to stick to original work. Her directing seems to work best when she can help build the show from the ground up.

GeorgeandDot
#79The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/22/18 at 10:35pm

Honestly, Toni Collette and Tonya Pinkins singing Bosom Buddies would put me in my grave.

broadwayboy223
#80The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/22/18 at 11:12pm

I think Katrina Lenk could be a spellbinding, heartbreaking Sally in Cabaret. 

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#81The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/23/18 at 6:25am

GeorgeandDot said: "Saoirse Ronan and Timothee Chalamet should absolutely do Cabaret at Roundabout. They'd be great and both have enough musical ability to take on those parts."

Chalamet as MC or Cliff?  

Have wanted Collette as Mame for a very long time.   

AlfredDrakeII
#82The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/23/18 at 9:36am

A Ragtime revival with Jamie Foxx?

Are you serious?

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#83The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/23/18 at 10:00am

If they do Cabaret, I would want them to do a reconceived production that is fresh and different from the one they brought back. It's classic and masterful, but I think it's time for a new spin on it.

Stephen75
#84The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/23/18 at 10:32am

Saoirse as Sally. 

Timothee as Emcee. 

Lucas Hedges as Cliff. 

Laurie Metcalf as Schneider. 

Tracy Letts as Herr Schultz.

Lady Bird never ends. 

GeorgeandDot
#85The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/23/18 at 12:25pm

AlfredDrakeII said: "A Ragtime revival with Jamie Foxx?

Are you serious?
"

Yes. Man can SANG.

Bronxfan
#86The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/23/18 at 2:19pm

How about an Applause revival with Charles Busch as Margo Channing?

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#87The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/23/18 at 3:06pm

GeorgeandDot said: "AlfredDrakeII said: "A Ragtime revival with Jamie Foxx?

Are you serious?
"

Yes. Man can SANG.

The problem is - man can’t act.

GeorgeandDot
#88The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/23/18 at 3:10pm

^Yeah that's why he has an Oscar....

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#89The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/23/18 at 3:33pm

Bartlett Sher should do a LCT revival of Camleot, that show hasn't been revived for lord knows how long.

Kenneth Branagh as King Arthur

Sierra Boggess as Guinevere 

Jordan Donica as Lancelot

everyunsungsong
#90The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/24/18 at 12:27pm

I think there needs to be a next to normal revival, directed again by Michael Greif, with Toni Collette and it would be at the Music Box, just because of symbolism. 

I'd actually like to see Alice Ripley in Gypsy and though it's technically not a revival, someone needs to bring The Last Five Years to Broadway with Jeremy Jordan and I think Laura Osnes or Megan Hilty would be good in the role because they could give two completely different, but great, portrayals of Cathy. 

Ragtime should be revived because that legitimately has one of the greatest musical scores written. I also think Hairspray, Into the Woods, and In the Heights should be revived. 

Bombshell also has a great score, and has never hit Broadway and needs to. Preferably with two Marilyns. 

Updated On: 4/24/18 at 12:27 PM

OhHiii
#91The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/24/18 at 12:35pm

Count me in favor of the Lady Gaga Funny Girl idea. Been saying this for years.

Gaga as Evita shouldn't even be humored. It's the same as having Sierra Boggess as Maria. There are plenty Latinx actresses for that roll. However, she would sing the **** out of it.

Updated On: 4/24/18 at 12:35 PM

AlfredDrakeII
#92The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/24/18 at 6:56pm

Jamie Foxx is a good singer and performer but has neither the singing chops nor stage experience to convincingly pull off Coalhouse Walker. Sorry, but it's a ludicrous suggestion.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#93The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/24/18 at 7:01pm

I feel as though we need a great revival as a star vehicle for a great leading lady. Leading ladies that I would love to see get a star vehicle would be:

Kristin Chenoweth

Jessie Mueller

Audra McDonald

Idina Menzel (please come back to Broadway)

Cynthia Erivo.

I would love to see an Aida revival with Cynthia and Jessie or Betsy as Amneris.

GeorgeandDot
#94The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/24/18 at 7:11pm

Alfreddrakell, that's why I suggested him for a film of Ragtime, which I think he would do great in. He's far from being a "ludicrous" choice. You're just being rude.

Also, I agree that Latin actresses should play Latin roles, but Evita was white and considered herself as such. Gaga would actually, ethnically, be closer to the actual Eva Person than a latin actress. It's not quite the same situation as Sierra being cast as a Puerto Rican woman.

Jjohansan
#95The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/25/18 at 10:35am

I would LOVE to see a Gypsy revival starring Idina Menzel

AGussBway
#96The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/25/18 at 11:15am

Charles Busch as Margo Channing is inspired casting! 

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#97The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/25/18 at 11:27am

I'm rooting for an all-drag revival of Steel Magnolias. 

qafgenius122
#98The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/25/18 at 12:19pm

Reading through this thread is part fascinating with some great ideas and part fan service of shows we just had on broadway, which I find is just a chore to read, but everyone has a right to express their opinions. (Like I love me some Great Comet, Next to Normal and In the Heights as much as the next person, but they were all just here, among many others listed)

As far as my want list, I’d love the following...
Titanic - I know a production is in the works, I just really need something to happen
Best Little Whorehouse in Texas - a hard sell, but that Ashford production advertised a few years ago, and my constant listening of the score have me yearning. Megan Hilty as Mona? (I know it’s Dolly Parton type casting, so sue me
Shenandoah - probs a better Encores! But the score is great and I think it’s so relevant today
The Rink - maybe also Encores! It’s a fantastic Kander and Ebb score and with some stars, Bebe Neuwirth... I could see a success.
Dreamgirls - waiting for that West End production to transfer
Eventual Gypsy Revival - Alice Ripley. Nuff Said

PS: I’m almost positive we are getting an off broadway Oklahoma! Yep. St. Ann’s this fall.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#99The Next Great Broadway Revival
Posted: 4/25/18 at 12:42pm

Rumpelstiltskin said: "I'm rooting for an all-drag revival of Steel Magnolias."

I was hoping to direct this years ago but the script/author doesn't allow it.  There are "readings" of the play done this way to benefit charities but a production would have to get a lot of lawyers involved and is too cost prohibitive for a smaller company.