pixeltracker

THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews- Page 3

THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#50THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 1:14pm

Yes, it is a 2-level apartment set.  Only a few moments happen on the 2nd level; the main location for the play is on stage.   

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#51THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 3:06pm

Need one week extension... Hmpfh. I'll be in NYC in mid-August next gah.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#52THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 3:10pm

newintown said: "Several sites are still stating that therunning time is 90 minutes."

Telecharge updated it to 105 minutes.

schubox
#53THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 3:14pm

Glad to see these great reviews. Bought tickets for this the day they went on sale. Seeing it in a few weeks. Can’t wait

ren598
#54THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 4:01pm

I was curious to know what merchandise they had available (posters, magnets,mugs) this early in previews. I definitely want to get the poster if one is available.

SFCowboy
#55THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 4:03pm

I recall seeing a production of this years (decades?) ago and not really liking it, so I didn't include this in my New York visit this July. But after reading the unanimous raves here, I checked on tickets and saw that this has Monday night performances, which is the only evening I had unbooked. I took that as a sign and bought my ticket in orchestra front row AA at the regular price. (Second row BB was going for the premium price of $300.) Does anyone have any insight about row AA? Photos I have seen suggest the stage isn't too high, but it's hard to tell.

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#56THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 4:18pm

SFCowboy said: " . . . . Does anyone have any insight about row AA? Photos I have seen suggest the stage isn't too high, but it's hard to tell."

I rely on this blog for seating advice, and he includes AA in his recommendation for the best seats in the house.

orlikethecolorpurple
#57THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 4:24pm

Rumpelstiltskin said: "I rely on this blogfor seating advice, and he includes AA in his recommendation for the best seats in the house."

The seating suggestions seem legit, but..."Presently the theatre is home to the groundbreaking musical, Meteor Shower." lol

BrodyFosse123
#58THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 4:30pm

Hopefully Tony Award nominee Amy Schumer performs the 11 o’clock title number from METEOR SHOWER: The Musical next month at the 2018 Tony Awards.

SFCowboy
#59THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 7:05pm

Rumpelstiltskin said: "SFCowboy said: " . . ..Does anyone have any insight about row AA? Photos I have seen suggest the stage isn't too high, but it's hard to tell."

I rely on this blogfor seating advice, and he includes AA in his recommendation for the best seats in the house.

"

Thanks. I didn't know about this site, and it's always good to have another source of information. It's not quite perfectly updated, though, with some amusing results. The last section of the blog page is entitled "How Far in Advance Should you Book The Boys in the Band Shower Tickets?" (I think those would have sold out weeks ago!)

PaintTheMusic
#60THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 8:53pm

So excited about this great cast! I'm trying to decide which weekday to purchase a ticket for in June. Do you all think that the entire cast will most likely be there to play every performance? I know there's no way of knowing that ahead of time, just wondering if any of you have any opinions or experiences with that in the past as far as which days the cast are more likely to be all present when making a decision on which day or time. Am I overthinking it or is there some sort of track record with absences in star casts like this? Thanks.

Updated On: 5/1/18 at 08:53 PM

JBC3
#61THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:23pm

You are overthinking this. Go with the flow.

PaintTheMusic
#62THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 9:32pm

JBC3 said: "You are overthinking this. Go with the flow."

Thanks, JBC3. Good advice. I will.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#63THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/1/18 at 10:06pm

What a great start to the 2018-19 Broadway season this is.

I don’t totally agree that the text feels “fresh”, but with a cast like this (full of genuine gay men playing gay roles - shockingly refreshing) even the creakiest bits of dialogue sound as second nature as if the roles were written for them. Robin de Jesús is the brightest spot of the whole evening; a screamingly hilarious and tragic performance. Zachary Quinto doesn’t waste a single line and God bless him for it. Andrew Rannells was another highlight. (His reading of “I think it’s for you, Hank. Why don’t you take it upstairs?” drew the biggest laugh of the evening.)

Jim Parsons is an actor I mostly enjoy in small doses, but when he really rips into Michael’s bitterness and self-hatred, the intensity is almost unbearable. The payoff once the party is over puts his performance - and the play as a whole - into sharp perspective. All the strewn glitter and half-filled wine glasses feel as visceral as blood and guts.

The evening feels a bit like a poppered-up, queer take on Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf and thanks to Joe Mantello and some very game actors, it’s an absolute blast... until it’s not.

Updated On: 5/1/18 at 10:06 PM

natafied
#64THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/2/18 at 12:40am

ren598 said: "I was curious to know what merchandise they had available (posters, magnets,mugs) this early in previews. I definitely want to get the poster if one is available."

From what I saw, there were two different shirts with text on them and a poster that was basically the playbill design. 

JBC3
#65THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/2/18 at 6:57am

ColorTheHours048 said: "The evening feels a bit like a poppered-up, queer take on Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf and thanks to Joe Mantello and some very game actors, it’s an absolute blast...until it’s not."

love, love, love this

sophie72
#66THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/2/18 at 7:25am

While my husband and daughters were next door seeing Come From Away (I’ve seen it twice), I was next door at The Booth.  My mother made sure I had read the play when I was a teenager and to finally see The Boys in the Band staged was one of the most powerful theater moments I’ve ever experienced-that is not an exaggeration.  I sat in the Mezzanine, grabbed my ticket yesterday morning, and didn’t miss a line of dialogue, one bit of the amazing, or one emotion that was given by the stellar actors.  Robin de Jesus, as well as Zachary Quinto were stand outs, but the entire ensemble worked as one.  I have no idea if I’ll be able to splurge on another ticket (also hoping to take my almost fifteen year old), but even if I don’t get back, last night will stay with me for a long time.  Raw and powerful, go see this amazing piece.

BrodyFosse123
#67THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/2/18 at 9:47am

And we have our first pull quote, direct from our beloved and reliable BroadwayWorld Broadway Message Board: 

THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews

ColorTheHours048
#68THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/2/18 at 10:23am

Updated On: 5/2/18 at 10:23 AM

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#69THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/2/18 at 1:39pm

For those of you claiming that no cuts have been made to the script, that is not true and the proof is that the theatre is selling or will be selling a new edition of the play containing both the original script and the newly revised script.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#70THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/2/18 at 1:57pm

So what are the cuts then?

I guess we have to wait until someone more familiar with the text sees the show and reports back...

ColorTheHours048
#71THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/2/18 at 2:25pm

They are selling a copy of the script. I didn’t look at it, but it’s far too thick to just be a 100-minute play, so I assume it contains both editions.

BWAY Baby2
#72THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/2/18 at 2:30pm

It might not be cuts as much as revisions- to make a more contemporary statement that is relevant to this time in history- it actually sounds like that- no one is complaining that the play is an old warhorse totally out of touch with today- a very, very good sign. That this play- written decades ago- can still resonate so powerfully is really a testament to its artistry- all timeless and classic plays address themes of human nature and behavior- and therefore, they speak to every generation. I would guess that this starry cast signed on to this project because it had a message that engaged in 2018. That is what has me so enthused about the posts on this subject- I am in Atlanta- but am more and more considering flying in to see this and Three Tall Women on a Wednesday- by myself- my partner is not a theater lover on the same level I am. I did see MFLady and Iceman Cometh last month and was blown away by both. My birthday is this month- I am seriously considering giving myself these two shows as a present - to myself- lol.

mulligan3
#73THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/2/18 at 3:14pm

I agree with you on all this ! I saw it last night, and really enjoyed it. I'll be honest, I was always so-so about the content of the show - but the actors and the direction delivered and really were able to show the subtle differences in each others journeys. 

I loved the set, how the characters were still there - but not. It very cleverly done and I'd guess there isn't a bad seat i the house since most of the action is central. (though if someone could let me know if there is a better view of Matt Bomer while he showers, PLEASE DO!)

The cast:  I actually enjoyed the chemistry they had. Some had more presence/natural stage presence than others (Zachary Quinto, Andrew Rannells, & Robin De Jesús fill their spaces fully) but one that no one has mentioned that I really enjoyed was the subtle stoicism of Tuc Watkins.  

Stage Door: Everyone came out (except Rannells) and took pictures for most people.  Shout out to Matt Bomer though (maybe because this is his bway debut and its his second stage door)actually stayed for a very very long time taking a TON of pictures with almost anyone who asked.   If you want a picture with him at all - go early before he gets tired of doing it :)

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#74THE BOYS IN THE BAND (2018) Previews
Posted: 5/2/18 at 3:55pm

I read these fabulous reviews last night and immediately bought tickets for our short visit in July. Thanks to everyone who contributed!