pixeltracker

Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?

Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?

HBBrock
#1Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/15/18 at 11:23pm

Since moving to NY in 2008, I cannot ever remember a year where there was less Tonys hype, less talk, and less excitement about the awards. Am I wrong?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/15/18 at 11:27pm

With the exception of Hamilton in 2016, I feel like this question comes up every year.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#3Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/15/18 at 11:30pm

Will basketball be on that night?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Oak2
#4Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/15/18 at 11:32pm

Um pardon me but I think you missed a very important fact about this year's Tony Awards. Might I direct your attention to the nominations for "Best Featured Actor in a Play"? If you look very closely, you might see the words "Nathan" and "Lane" next to each other in that category. The presence of this being automatically means this year's Tony Awards are among the best. Any that don't have this being anywhere in the building doesn't count as a real Tony Awards. The ratings will be fine.

Updated On: 5/16/18 at 11:32 PM

LightsOut90
#5Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/15/18 at 11:38pm

Josh Groban has a pretty rabid fanbase 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
geoffreyC
#7Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/15/18 at 11:53pm

If the Tony Awards want big ratings, they will finally bring back Best Stage Technician and do away with those flashy and vulgar "musical" numbers.  

MrPeach
#8Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 12:37am

Oak2 said: "Um pardon me but I think you missed a very important fact about this year's Tony Awards. Might I direct your attention to the nominations for "Best Featured Actor in a Musical"? If you look very closely, you might see the words "Nathan" and "Lane" next to each other in that category. The presence of this being automatically means this year's Tony Awards are among the best. Any that don't have this being anywhere in the building doesn't count as a real Tony Awards. The ratings will be fine."

Pardon me but, ahem, you meant Best Featured Actor in a Play. And speaking of, that’s the most star-driven category with Michael Cera, Brian Tyree Henry, and - of course - the inevitable winner, Nathan Lane. Have it be the first category of the night and have it be presented by Amy Schumer. 

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#9Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 12:38am

Tell you what they want more ratings actual air it live for those of us in the west.

I stopped watching it because its taped and would get all the notices who won so i will tape it and fast forward for the performances. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#10Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 5:32am

It always gets abysmal ratings. It was a pretty boring season. My only concern is that no one will air it...luckily, June is boring tv month. Besides that? I could care less what the ratings are. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 5/16/18 at 05:32 AM

rg7759
#11Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 8:43am

No, last year was an abomination and they should be ashamed. Even if Kevin was good, every show picked the wrong song to sing and therefore deserved to close. War paint, groundhog, bandstand. Literally like there was no director last year or it was just a deceased man in the credits. And don't get me started how stacked it was against comet, to not even get a Grammy nomination it should have won

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#12Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 9:09am

I'm very happy to be invited to a dinner party that night, where, I imagine, the awards won't even be mentioned.

VIETgrlTerifa
#13Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 9:13am

The only way for the Tonys to improve their ratings long-term is to somehow have culture shift where theatre is actually a part of people's lives in a more meaningful way than just something they took a class on in college because it met a requirement and it was an available class and/or something to do while visiting NYC.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."
Updated On: 5/16/18 at 09:13 AM

#14Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 9:19am

My favorite sitcom of the past twenty years is the Brit import Absolutely Fabulous.  Consequently for me I'm thrilled to see Tom Hollander's Lead Actor - Play nomination for Travesties.  He played Saffy's fiancé in some Ab Fab eppys.  It's sort of as when Joanna Lumley was nominated for La Bete a few years ago.  It's nice to see Absolutely Fabulous cast members doing well. 

I'll be tuning in with fingers crossed a production number will "wow" me to the point I play it over & over. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#15Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 9:21am

TV ratings has changed a lot the past decade. I'm no expert but I think the only TV ratings that are consistently high are live sports like the Superbowl.

Tom5
#16Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 9:22am

Age demographics are slowly eating away at live theatre. Also love of technology. But on the bright side I'm sure the West Village will still be deserted that night.

Oak2
#17Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 10:43am

MrPeach said: "Oak2 said: "Um pardon me but I think you missed a very important fact about this year's Tony Awards. Might I direct your attention to the nominations for "Best Featured Actor in a Musical"? If you look very closely, you might see the words "Nathan" and "Lane" next to each other in that category. The presence of this being automatically means this year's Tony Awards are among the best. Any that don't have this being anywhere in the building doesn't count as a real Tony Awards. The ratings will be fine."

Pardon me but, ahem, you meantBest Featured Actor in a Play. And speaking of, that’s the most star-driven category with Michael Cera, Brian Tyree Henry, and - of course - the inevitable winner, Nathan Lane. Have it be the first category of the night and have it be presented by Amy Schumer."

Yes indeed, I thank you for pointing out my typo. I mistyped as honestly, Nathan Lane should be in every Musical category. It has been corrected. However, who the heck are those other people? They aren't Nathan Lane so they don't register to me as anything recognizable. The true purpose of Broadway is to lead the way towards an All-Shows, All-Lane Production to lead to Broadway's ascension.

Updated On: 5/16/18 at 10:43 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#18Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 10:48am

Wick3 said: "TV ratings has changed a lot the past decade. I'm no expert but Ithink the only TV ratings that are consistently high are live sportslike the Superbowl."

Super Bowl ratings were at a 7-year-low this year: http://deadline.com/2018/02/super-bowl-ratings-eagles-patriots-this-is-us-nbc-1202278181/

Of course, their version of low ratings would be a dream for anything else on television.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#19Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 11:41am

This is a rare year where the plays upstaged the musicals. I'd love to see them promote scenes from Angels, Three Tall Women and Harry Potter alongside the usual musical numbers. A scene from "Cursed Child" would certainly thrill me more than an umpteenth reprise of "Bikini Bottom Day."

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#20Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 11:58am

MrsSallyAdams said: "This is a rare year where the plays upstaged the musicals. I'd love to see them promote scenes fromAngels, Three Tall WomenandHarry Potteralongside the usual musical numbers. A scene from "Cursed Child" would certainly thrill me more than an umpteenth reprise of "BikiniBottom Day.""

When I went to pick up my Cursed Child tickets at will call last week (mid-day on Monday), there was a hubbub in the theatre and the person working the merchandise said that they were filming something for the Tonys. I mean, that could be :10 seconds for an ad, but I'm hoping they're doing an actual segment!

#21Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 8:15pm

its definitely going to be a tough sell.....at least sarah and josh will be there to help. Not a bad choice, although  I think they should have give Bette Midler whatever she wanted to come and host this year. She's been the biggest news of the passed two years and she could have done a great job with it staging it like one of her hilarious concerts. too bad.

IlanaKeller
#22Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/16/18 at 8:51pm

kasim said: "Tell you what they want more ratings actual air it live for those of us in the west.

I stopped watching it because its taped and would get all the notices who won so i will tape it and fast forward for the performances.
"

If you wanted to watch it live, it is available streaming on CBS All Access. Just an option... 

Twitter: @IlanaKeller Latest work: app.com/topic/asbury-park-broadway/

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#23Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/17/18 at 7:54am

The ratings have never been real good and the year of "Hamilton" was rare exception. I may be wrong but I think all award shows have had ratings decline the last few years. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#24Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/18/18 at 12:08am

dramamama611 said: "It always gets abysmal ratings. It was a pretty boring season. My only concern is that no one will air it...luckily, June is boring tv month. Besides that? I could care less what the ratings are."

The ratings aren't always abysmal. There are some years where the ratings for the Tonys are up (2009, 2013, 2016), and other years where they are down (2012, 2015, 2017).

This year should be interesting given the appeal of hosts Josh Groban & Sara Bareilles as well as some of the nominees (Frozen, Harry Potter, Mean Girls, and SpongeBob).

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#25Does anyone else feel this will be the lowest rated Tony Awards in the last decade?
Posted: 5/18/18 at 1:53am

IlanaKeller said: "
If you wanted to watch it live, it is available streaming on CBS All Access. Just an option...
"

good to know although I refuse to pay for CBS live access.

we are actually going to be in NYC this year that weekend watching shows. Strangely enough Sweeney Todd is playing the same time as the Tony's