#1A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 12:24pm

Trailer

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#2A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 12:35pm

Littleshopofcarrie said: "Trailer"

I got chills.  I think it looks great.  And it has GREAT buzz.

Broadway World's Fireman.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 12:39pm

Um.....wow.   Honestly took my breath away.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 12:55pm

Watched it earlier.  

2019 Oscar contender without question. 

Interesting Stefani decided to use her stage moniker Lady Gaga after all as initially she intended on using her  real full name for the film: Stefani Germanotta, which is how she was listed on the Call Sheets during production of the film.  

sng
#5A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 2:37pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Watched it earlier.

Interesting Stefani decided to use her stage moniker Lady Gaga after all as initially she intended on using her real full name for the film: Stefani Germanotta, which is how she was listed on the Call Sheets during production of the film.
"

As much as she likes to be recognised as a serious actress using her real name, they have to use her star power to sell the movie somehow

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#6A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 2:38pm

That was not how I expected the movie to look but it looks really good.

broadwayboy223
#7A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 2:41pm

I can't WAIT to see this. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#8A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 2:43pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Watched it earlier.

Interesting Stefani decided to use her stage moniker Lady Gaga after all as initially she intended on using her real full name for the film: Stefani Germanotta, which is how she was listed on the Call Sheets during production of the film.
"

agreed, i’m sad she isn’t going by Stefani Germanotta for the trailer. maybe in the film itself they’ll change it? it seems like the perfect time to retire Gaga who really was just a character that Stefani created and by the time the album Joanne was released barely used anymore.

this trailer gave me chills and i’m very excited for the film!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#9A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 5:33pm

Well that was hideous---one to miss---country and western with the usual twist[and lyrics].

Judging a whole movie by it's trailer? Yes.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#10A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 7:05pm

I can dig it. And Bradley Cooper doesn’t sound too bad!

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#11A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 7:28pm

Does anyone know where this fits in number of times the same movie has been remade outside of Shakespeare, or ones where they have the same source material (Shop Around the Corner)

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

tomwsjr
#12A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 8:05pm

Wow, this actually looks excellent!

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#13A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 11:14pm

fashionguru_23 asked: Does anyone know where this fits in number of times the same movie has been remade outside of Shakespeare, or ones where they have the same source material (Shop Around the Corner)

I think the first iteration of the story on film came with WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD, directed by George Cukor in 1932 and starring Constance Bennett.

In 1937, that film was remade starring Janet Gaynor and Fredric March...it was titled A STAR IS BORN.

In 1954, George Cukor directed a musical remake of the film starring Judy Garland and James Mason. Many consider this the definitive version of the story...

In 1976, Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson starred in a remake of the musical using all new songs, etc. Streisand won an Oscar for her song, "Evergreen"...

The 2018 remake starring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga will premiere in October. The trailer looks promising. We'll see...

Updated On: 6/6/18 at 11:14 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#14A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/6/18 at 11:43pm

This looks effing incredible.

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#15A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/7/18 at 1:28am

I'm a bit confused.  Why is this trailer for a movie on the Broadway board?  Did I miss the part that it originated as a play? 

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#16A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/7/18 at 2:46am

I cried.

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

LightsOut90
#17A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/7/18 at 2:59am

had no clue Chapelle was in this

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#18A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/7/18 at 3:32am

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "I'm a bit confused. Why is this trailer for a movie on the Broadway board? Did I miss the part that it originated as a play?"

movie musicals usually have threads on the main board despite the technicality that they shouldn’t be

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#19A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/7/18 at 10:23am

This looks cliched and it seems the story hasn't changed from one where pitiful male lead wallows in self-pity to an extreme even for melodrama. Lady Gaga sounds incredible though and they gave her the Marissa Tomei stylization.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#20A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/7/18 at 2:30pm

Gaga's voice is like a fine wine - it's getting more interesting and richer as she ages. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#21A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/8/18 at 2:44am

The thing about Star is Born is that if you are going to keep it contemporary (as every version has) you can't literally remake it because show business changes so radically every couple of decades. The 1954 version was almost shocking in it's de-glamorized pulling back the curtain of the movie industry.

The Streisand version tried to do the same thing for the excesses of rock & roll but couldn't quite land in the Springsteen territory it was aiming for. It ended up being Springsteen by way of Vegas.

Today YouTube, social media, and digital recording and delivery have turned the business on it's head again so it will be interesting to see how that is woven in to the old story. I also am looking forward to seeing Cooper as director.

Impossible2
#22A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/8/18 at 7:54am

Dunno what everyone else is seeing, it's a very boring trailer.

It looks very much like the Streisand version.

Still looking forward to it.

B.JAMES Profile Photo
B.JAMES
#23A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/8/18 at 8:03am

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "I'm a bit confused. Why is this trailer for a movie on the Broadway board? Did I miss the part that it originated as a play?"

Maybe because both of the leads have theater involvement? If it bothers you, just move along. 

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#24A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/10/18 at 12:54am

Thank you gypsy101.

Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#25A Star Is Born
Posted: 6/10/18 at 1:01am

Please provide their theatrical credentials. 

Gypsy101 was more succinct in his answer to my valid question.