pixeltracker

PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews- Page 5

PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#100PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/23/18 at 2:29pm

I'm sorry if this has been addressed but how does the book update the story for 2018 and the #MeToo era?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

stephimarie Profile Photo
stephimarie
#101PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:20pm

little_sally said: "I'm sorry if this has been addressed but how does the book update the story for 2018 and the #MeToo era?"

Well for one, when Stuckey comes on to Vivian, she fights him off herself instead of Edward "saving her"

brian1973
#102PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/23/18 at 3:53pm

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "Dolly80 said: "
At least it gives Andy Karl some work until he reprieves his role in Groundhog Day in London later this year."

Nowhere has it been mentioned that Andy will reprise his GH role in London, only that Tim Minchin stated there would be a revival this year. I would honestly love for you to provide details on Andy reprising his role in London. Por favor, Anita!

"

Just because it hasn’t been announced YET, doesn’t mean it’s not happening.. watch this space....

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#103PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/23/18 at 5:18pm

brian1973 said: "Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "Dolly80 said: "
At least it gives Andy Karl some work until he reprieves his role in Groundhog Day in London later this year."

Nowhere has it been mentioned that Andy will reprise his GH role in London, only that Tim Minchin stated there would be a revival this year. I would honestly love for you to provide details on Andy reprising his role in London. Por favor, Anita!

"

Just because it hasn’t been announced YET, doesn’t mean it’s not happening.. watch this space....

"

Or perhaps I'll just speak to Andy directly, since my nephew's husband is his dresser.  My lips are sealed.

stephimarie
#104PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/24/18 at 2:11pm

Anyone rush today or yesterday? Curious how many people show up on a weekday and if they sell out right at 10? Has anyone tried to get rush later in the day?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#105PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/24/18 at 8:21pm

Jordan Catalano said: "They have windowcards, T-shirt’s, hoodies and (I think) tote bags."

Are hookers wearing hoodies now?

SJAfan
#106PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/24/18 at 11:04pm

I rushed this morning. Was third in line at 7am. First person arrived at 5am. The bulk didn’t arrive till closer to 9am. It likely sold out from the group there right at 10am but I didn’t stay to see. I asked the guy in the box office and he said they sell 20-30 for each performance but always the entire front row which is 24 seats. If you got a cushion (which we did) it really wasn’t so bad. Being farther back / higher up would have been better but the front row is always nice imho.

UncleCharlie
#107PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/25/18 at 12:25am

CurtainPullDowner said: "Are hookers wearing hoodies now?"

Hookers have always worn hoodies. It really offsets a micro miniskirt quite nicely and comes in very handy if there's a perp walk.

Solipsist234
#108PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/25/18 at 12:39am

UncleCharlie said: "CurtainPullDowner said: "Are hookers wearing hoodies now?"

Hookers have always worn hoodies. It really offsets a micro miniskirt quite nicely and comes in very handy if there's aperp walk.
"

Not appropriate, y'all! cheeky

Updated On: 7/25/18 at 12:39 AM

UncleCharlie
#109PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/25/18 at 3:12am

Solipsist234 said: "UncleCharlie said: "CurtainPullDowner said: "Are hookers wearing hoodies now?"

Hookers have always worn hoodies. It really offsets a micro miniskirt quite nicely and comes in very handy if there's aperp walk.
"

Not appropriate,y'all!cheeky
"

You obviously have me confused with someone who cares what you think.

Solipsist234
#110PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/25/18 at 3:45am

UncleCharlie said: "Solipsist234 said: "UncleCharlie said: "CurtainPullDowner said: "Are hookers wearing hoodies now?"

"

Not appropriate,y'all!cheeky
"

You obviously have me confused with someone who cares what you think.
"

And I guess you had me confused with someone who is always unnesscarily rude to everyone and everything on this board- oh wait, that's you! Never mind then.

Charlie, choose your battles, man, because at the end of the day, no one's gonna be in your corner... 

UncleCharlie
#111PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/25/18 at 3:53am

Solipsist234 said: "And I guess you had me confused with someone who is always unnesscarily rude to everyone and everything on this board- oh wait, that'syou! Never mind then.

Charlie, choose your battles, man, because at the end of the day, no one's gonna be in your corner..."

You'll forgive me if you're not the one I choose to take life lessons from. You seem to be bouncing around from thread to thread with an overwhelming need to tell people what they can and can't do or say. Judging by the responses to you, I don't think that's a winning strategy. You may want to revisit it.

Updated On: 7/25/18 at 03:53 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#112PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/25/18 at 5:26am

I'd be in Uncle Charlie's corner any day.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

UncleCharlie
#113PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/25/18 at 6:12am

dramamama611 said: "I'd be in Uncle Charlie's corner any day. "

The feeling is mutual, Dramamama PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#114PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/26/18 at 11:11pm

Samantha Barks... oh, man. What a ray of LIGHT! How did it take this long to get her to Broadway? Her Vivian is pitch-perfect. A beautiful homage to Julia Roberts' performance while putting her own spin on it. Incredible presence, stunningly gorgeous vocals, and dimples you can't take your eyes off of. She is a true knockout!

The rest of the show... oh, man. No bueno. The two words to describe it all: cheap and generic. Why were Edward's penthouse and Rodeo Drive—two places which could've been opulent and gorgeous—so cheap-looking? (Edward's penthouse is literally just a piano, a couch, and a screen panel with a little ledge for the balcony.) 

This is as identical of a screenplay-to-book adaptation as you get. They hardly changed anything beyond adding Kit to a couple more scenes (which I was a fan of, since Orfeh is a gem). It's all the lines you know already ("big mistake, big, huge" is basically the Act I finale). Really, the only major "change" I noticed is that Vivian fights off Stuckey herself and doesn't wind up with a black eye. But it's not exactly a revelatory moment or anything, since we already know full well how strong and autonomous she is.    

The score was really not fun to sit through. Nothing sounds bad or discordant or anything, but it's all just soooooo generic. When any lyric starts, you immediately know how it will conclude. I couldn't repeat a single tune for you.  

Poor Andy Karl's talents are sadly being wasted in a role that gets no elevation from the film whatsoever. It's rare to see an Andy Karl show where he isn't the standout male performance of the night—here, that goes to Eric Anderson, who hams it up in a number of roles. 

The opera scene was the best part of the production.  

Aside from the radiant Barks, it all just felt very middling and lazy. Lacking in Broadway magic. Like some producers came across a decent-sized pot of gold somewhere and said, "Eh... might as well do a Pretty Woman musical, I guess?"    

Owen22
#115PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/28/18 at 6:42pm

You know, I liked it. I was moved. I enjoyed the score. It's poppy and catchy and the songs land. Not great lyrics, but descent.  A solid B from me. 

After "Carousel" I should have realized how off the criticism on these boards usually is, but I was expecting a much worse show. True, they took the screenplay and threw a bunch of songs at it. But they were integrated well, and acted beautifully by a professional and UBER-charming cast.

I don't expect great reviews, but mixed to good. It seems to be a big audience pleaser.  It should run and garner a few Tony noms next year. 

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#116PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/28/18 at 6:52pm

For anyone who has seen the others, how does this rank among HOH and GTBBT?

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#117PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/28/18 at 8:59pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "For anyone who has seen the others, how does this rank among HOH and GTBBT?"

I found Pretty Woman to be a far superior show to both.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#118PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/28/18 at 8:59pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "For anyone who has seen the others, how does this rank among HOH and GTBBT?"

I found Pretty Woman to be a far superior show to both.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

sewhite2
#119PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/29/18 at 2:50pm

The cast was superb, but the material was pretty bland and not memorable. However, the cast was incredible, and I had a fun time. Am I glad I saw it? Yes. Do I need to see it again? Nope 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#120PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/29/18 at 7:58pm

Great cast, a couple of good songs, and the opera scene. That's really about all it has going for it. (And could I hum a single tune 24 hours after seeing it? NOPE.) It's really a shame. All I could think was how did Jerry Mitchell somehow step onto every landmine he avoided with adapting Kinky Boots? 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#121PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/31/18 at 5:46pm

WhizzerMarvin said: Even the song titles are generic: Anywhere But Here, On a Night Like Tonight, Don’t Forget to Dance, This is My Life, You and I, I Can’t Go Back, Long Way Home. 

When I saw the show in Chicago, I played a game with myself. I'd see how long it would take (and if I could) guess the name of the song being sung based on the lyrics. I think I correctly guessed the name of the song within the first eight bars about 75% of the time.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#122PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/31/18 at 7:55pm

If you're going to bring up the ever-boring KINKY BOOTS as some brilliantly staged Jerry Mitchell opus, don't bother. How that show has survived all these years is a mystery. 

So why expect PW to be any better? Mitchell was a brilliant dancer back in the day, and that's about that.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#123PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/31/18 at 9:08pm

jayinchelsea said: "If you're going to bring up the ever-boring KINKY BOOTS as some brilliantly staged Jerry Mitchell opus, don't bother. How that show has survived all these years is a mystery.

So why expect PW to be any better? Mitchell was a brilliant dancer back in the day, and that's about that.
"

True he's overrated and so is KB. Hairspray was his claim to fame as nothing has matched that show's choreography!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

stephimarie
#124PRETTY WOMAN Broadway Previews
Posted: 7/31/18 at 11:27pm

Just a head's up - be careful with fake tickets on StubHub! A couple of us ended up with them for tonight's show and obviously there's nothing the venue could do. StubHub gives refunds of course but still annoying.