pixeltracker

How Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??- Page 2

How Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#25NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/1/18 at 11:39pm

I think Seycon (I know my spelling is awful) would be amazing as Caroline after seeing her in Eclipse. Great actress and she can SANG. 

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#26NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/1/18 at 11:51pm

I’m seeing this in the West End this winter and the excitement in this thread is just increasing my own. Don’t know the show much, only have listened through it once and seen people’s love for it here over the years. I love Tony and Jeanine so I can’t wait for this!

BwayJudd
#27NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/1/18 at 11:55pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Uzo Aduba, Jane Krakowski, and Hailey Kilgore would be sublime in this show."

This is amazing casting!  I would love to see this show in NY whether off broadway or not.  I missed the original, and I’ve always kicked myself for that.   I also agree that enough has changed since 2004 that this could have an easier time finding an audience now. 

BwayJudd
#28NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/1/18 at 11:55pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Uzo Aduba, Jane Krakowski, and Hailey Kilgore would be sublime in this show."

This is amazing casting!  I would love to see this show in NY whether off broadway or not.  I missed the original, and I’ve always kicked myself for that.   I also agree that enough has changed since 2004 that this could have an easier time finding an audience now. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#29NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/2/18 at 1:51am

in my mind this is the role that Viola Davis was born to play. it’s so sad she cannot sing (according to an interview that mentioned her possible EGOT with Jimmy Kimmel, which she could win someday possibly with something spoken word).

Uzo Aduba is perfect for it. I also love Jane and Hailey, that is perfect casting for those three, great job GeorgeandDot!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#30NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/2/18 at 9:36am

Without either a big name or becoming a West End starmaking sensation, the only way it would transfer would be via a nonprofit- either Roundabout or, now, 2nd Stage.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#31NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/2/18 at 11:14am

I'm not down with Jane Krakowski as Rose - I don't really feel she can tone down the sexpot vibe. Of course I also thought of Viola Davis as Caroline, but ran up against the problem of her being a non-singer. However, it seems to me that most of the vocal heavy lifting in the show doesn't fall on Caroline - the Moon, Bus, Washer, etc have most of the aria-like stuff. Or maybe I'm just desperate to see her take it on. :)

I think we should have an unknown as Emme. Of course, though, this is probably all a moot point, as I imagine the universally well-received West End cast would make the jump.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

JBC3
#32NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/2/18 at 11:21am

While Caroline overall does not seem to be a vocally challenging role, isn't Lot's Wife very heavy lifting for a singer? Pinkins went ragged on it during the run. Or is that unique to her because of her range and technique? Updated On: 8/2/18 at 11:21 AM

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#33NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/2/18 at 12:31pm

I think it is pretty challenging throughout the show. There are tons of rangy moments requiring all parts of her voice and regular changes of dynamic through the whole opening, the dotty and caroline section, gonna pass me a law section, not to mention the herculean task of getting through Lot’s Wife. It’s an incredible, but very demanding role, in my opinion.

"...and in a bed."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#34NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/2/18 at 12:36pm

I think past seasons have proven that audiences want original stories and more complex scores, so it could be the right time for it. I mean, who would have thought Fun Home would find an audience or The Band's Visit? 

BroadwayShowTime
#35NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/2/18 at 1:37pm

How about Heather Headley or Cynthia Erivo in the Caroline role? Are they a big enough name to fill seats?

If Viola could sing I would love to see her take on the role for sure.

JBC3
#36NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/2/18 at 1:44pm

sing_dance_love said: "I think it is pretty challenging throughout the show. There are tons of rangy moments requiring all parts of her voice and regular changes of dynamic through the whole opening, the dotty and caroline section, gonna pass me a law section, not to mention the herculean task of getting through Lot’s Wife. It’s an incredible, but very demanding role, in my opinion."

Great point about the rangy moments throughout the show.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#37NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/2/18 at 5:51pm

Caroline should absolutely be played by a seasoned singer. That score isn't easy.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#38NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/2/18 at 8:03pm

Tonya’s voice was in really rough shape halfway through the run of the show. It’s not an easy role AT ALL to sing.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#39NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/2/18 at 9:30pm

Is this a relatively easy show to follow or should I do some pre-show studying? 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#40NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/2/18 at 9:35pm

You’ll be fine. :)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#41NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/2/18 at 10:20pm

From what i have seen of the London production, I may skip it if it transfers. It looks a bit "flashy" to me. I saw it on Broadway and think i just want to remember the original.

I walked out of the theater just devastated at how good this masterpiece is. I was also exited because I too felt it was taking musical theater in a new direction. It is my favorite musical along with Sweeney.

But who knows...I may not be able to resist if it transfers.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 12/24/18 at 10:20 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#42NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/3/18 at 12:16am

I don't know anything about the recent London production. Did the production team miss the mark in understanding this very American and specific story?

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#43NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 8/3/18 at 12:32am

I didn't totally love the London production. It really doesn't live up to the brilliance of the original production and I didn't love the design elements of the show. It looked rather garish at times and it make me miss the almost storybook look of the Broadway production. If we get a production of Caroline in New York, I hope it's a completely new production. Sam Gold would probably be a great choice for it considering his success with Fun Home.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#44NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 12/24/18 at 3:36pm

Unfortunately the show appears to be a major financial bomb so far on the west end NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??. Its an unsophisticated musical market so it makes sense. But this cannot bode well for future life.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#45NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 12/24/18 at 4:11pm

I saw this production both off-West End and on West End and much preferred the intimacy of the off-West End production. I have a feeling it won't transfer but if it does, I think it's better for it to transfer to an off-Broadway house first.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#46NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 12/24/18 at 4:17pm

I just quickly glanced at this thread and havent read everything, but is this something Roundabout could transfer if they wanted to?

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#47NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 12/24/18 at 4:32pm

I saw the original production 3 times because it was that magnificent.  The cast and production design were terrific and I think it was not only the best musical of 2004,  I think the score is one of the top three of the last 25 years ("Titanic" & "Ragtime" being the other two).  It's a complex musical that is utterly worthwhile and I would love to see it return to NY.

JBC3
#48NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 12/24/18 at 7:01pm

The London transfer has been selling poorly. Big discounts available for the rest of the run.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#49NHow Feasible is a Caroline, or Change Transfer??
Posted: 12/24/18 at 7:04pm

I kind of would love to see Lincoln Center put a Sam Gold directed production of this either on Broadway in a smaller house or at the Mitzi Newhouse. I know they do old musicals but i think the pedigree of this would fit in with their roster.

Videos