pixeltracker

TOOTSIE - Chicago tryout- Page 4

TOOTSIE - Chicago tryout

davp
#75Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 4:30am

Did any songs from the film make it into the musical?  Particularly Stephen Bishop's "It Might Be You"?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#76Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 5:41am

That probably wouldn't fit now that its contemporary.

Tootsie ALWAYS had a female empowerment message.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

theaterwiz414
#77Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 7:55am

theaterdarling said: ""Just got out of the show. This is gonna be a hit!! A couple little tweaks. But overall very very solid. Santino had everyone eating out of the palm of his hand the entire show. I’ll post more tomorrow when I’m not on my phone.

I may know someone who has full audio...
"

And I am sure you are going to tell that person you "may know" who has full audio that what he or she did was illegal, that stealing the work of the numerous artists involved is a really, really awful thing to do, that you would never go on a chat board and brag about this acquisition and you will have no part in disseminating it.

Given that it is highly likely that the moral and legal imperatives noted above mean little or nothing to you, what was it about the numerous signs that were posted about using electronic recording devices that you missed? Signs or no signs, what is it about the moral core of this person you "may know" that allows him or her to rip-off the artistic endeavors of others and makes you infer with your "…." that if the audio was recorded that you will be passing it on to others or telling others how to access it? Stealing intellectual property is always a reprehensible thing to do, but a special place in hell is reserved for someone who releases an out of town preview when the creators are still trying to shape the show. Oh, but, how cool and inside-y are you that you "may know someone" who has committed such a selfish (and did I mention, illegal) act. You seem so proud.

Have no interest in hearing "more" from someone who has so little respect and such blatant disregard for artists that they are boasting over audio stolen from a preview performance. <> "Someone you may know" has mugged the artists in this production and you have aided and abetted.

Once again, the shameless and brazen bragging about the theft of artists' property on these boards is appalling and should not be tolerated--but it is. Once again, moderators, why don't you shut down those posters who condone or boast about bootlegs and, in doing so, aid and abet and propagate theft.

Looking forward to hearing comments about the show and returning this thread back over to those who have seen the show but also have respect for artists and their intellectual property rights.

"I do not support bootlegs at all. SO I'm kind of in love with you for posting this. I got into an argument with someone who was saying that bootlegs are okay because they help people who don't live in the US, who might never seen a show on Broadway get to see them. NO. That is NOT a valid argument for stealing. Thank you for this. 

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#78Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 8:07am

NOWaWarning said: "How does Santino sing as Dorothy? Is it a head voice situation or does Dorothy sing in the Bea Arthur/Stritch range?"

Santino as Dorothy talks in the feminine, southern voice, similar to what Dustin Hoffman did.  When Dorothy sings, it's in an upper register, I guess you'd call it head voice, similar to her speaking voice.

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#79Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 8:08am

davp said: "Did any songs from the film make it into the musical? ParticularlyStephen Bishop's "It Might Be You"?"

No songs from the movie.  All original music.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#80Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 8:29am

When it comes to bootlegs, I always quote Dolly Levi, "you go your way, and I'll go mine".

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#81Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 11:26am

BalconyClub said: "$65 black hooded sweatshirt
$50 black sweatpant
$45 long sleeve blue T shirt
$35 black T shirt
$35 blue T shirt
$30 red tote bag
$10 magnet

Many of the merch items say Tootsie Chicago.

"

Were they selling Windowcards?

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#82Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 11:36am

God I hope they change the artwork. It's so unoriginal. Tootsie deserves some fun Hirschfield-style cartoon as the primary art for the show with a play on the phrase "he said she said", not a generic font in red glitter.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 9/12/18 at 11:36 AM

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#83Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 11:55am

gleek4114 said: "Were they selling Windowcards?"

Though Michael Dorsey's bedroom has a large Equus poster and an Elephant Man window card, I did not see any TOOTSIE window cards at merch.

Updated On: 9/13/18 at 11:55 AM

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#84Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 12:01pm

They've actually already made some changes on the website, so instead of just red sequins it looks like "Broadway" lights now. And the font is different. But I'm sure they'll do something more descriptive for Broadway -- a caricature, or a photo of Santino (maybe half in drag, half out of drag?), or something else. There's so much they can play with to promote the show, they probably didn't want to make a rash decision about art too early.

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#85Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 1:22pm

I'm debating flying to Chicago to see the show on October 29. I've never been to the Cadillac. Any advice on seating? And specifically for TOOTSIE, how close/far should one sit in the orchestra? Plus any recommendations for hotels near the theater would be appreciated (mid-range, not cheap but not pricey). 

Thanks in advance and if I go on the 29th it would be great to meet others who might be there. 

pc1145N
#86Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 1:26pm

As of yesterday, they were not selling windowcards. The woman at the kiosk asked someone else who looked at me like I was crazy. They said there were no plans for a windowcard but of course, that could be changed quickly.

Nycat63
#87Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 1:41pm

PatrickDC said: "I'm debating flying to Chicago to see the show on October 29. I've never been to the Cadillac. Any advice on seating? And specifically for TOOTSIE, how close/far should one sit in the orchestra? Plus any recommendations for hotels near the theater would be appreciated (mid-range, not cheap but not pricey).

Thanks in advance and if I go on the 29th it would be great to meet others who might be there.
"

It won’t be there Oct 29 so I assume you mean sept 29?  I’m actually looking at tickets for that date myself and have similar question re seating - specifically height of stage.  Is Row C too close (I’m short and don’t want to crane neck!!)

I stayed at the Silversmith Hotel very near the theater once - it’s a little pricier but well within walking distance, clean and comfortable.  Since I lived in Chicago for many years and now live within driving distance I tend not to stay at too many hotels but can vouch for that one.  

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#88Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 1:45pm

Nycat63 said: "It won’t be there Oct 29 so I assume you mean sept 29? "

Good catch! Yep, Saturday, SEPTEMBER 29. And thanks for the tip about the hotel. 

Nycat63
#89Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 1:52pm

PatrickDC said: "Nycat63 said: "It won’t be there Oct 29 so I assume you mean sept 29?"

Good catch! Yep, Saturday, SEPTEMBER 29. And thanks for the tip about the hotel.
"

No problem!  Also, I did see Hedwig at the Cadillac - was roughly in Row H in Right Orch (a few seats off center aisle) and view was great.  But that’s a very different show/set so I’d love to hear other opinions. I do recall thinking the mezzanine seemed high and far back but I could be mistaken.  

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#90Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 1:55pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "They've actually already made some changes on the website, so instead of just red sequins it looks like "Broadway" lights now. And the font is different.But I'm sure they'll do something more descriptive for Broadway -- a caricature, or a photo of Santino (maybe half in drag, half out of drag?),or something else. There's so much they can play with to promote the show, they probably didn't want to make a rash decision about art too early."

That's exactly what I'm talking about with respect to originality. And as for "rash decision" - they knew this was happening. Surely they have a designer already. I actually doubt they don't have a final version of art for the musical (or at least shortlists). They're likely going to release it at a later date to generate free publicity through a simple press release. That's probably a good staggered marketing strategy.

I'm just hoping that there is an actual art work and not this bland title.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#91Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 2:00pm

Nycat63 said: "PatrickDC said: "Nycat63 said: "It won’t be there Oct 29 so I assume you mean sept 29?"

"

No problem! Also, I did see Hedwig at the Cadillac - was roughly in Row H in Right Orch (a few seats off center aisle) and view was great. But that’s a very different show/set so I’d love to hear other opinions. I do recall thinking the mezzanine seemed high and far back but I could be mistaken.
"

I think you're mistaken. Hedwig played the Oriental.

Updated On: 9/12/18 at 02:00 PM

Nycat63
#92Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 2:06pm

gleek4114 said: "Nycat63 said: "PatrickDC said: "Nycat63 said: "It won’t be there Oct 29 so I assume you mean sept 29?"

"

No problem! Also, I did see Hedwig at the Cadillac - was roughly in Row H in Right Orch (a few seats off center aisle) and view was great. But that’s a very different show/set so I’d love to hear other opinions. I do recall thinking the mezzanine seemed high and far back but I could be mistaken.
"

I think you'remistaken. Hedwig played the Oriental.
"

Whoops you are right!!  My bad!! 

broadwayindie
#93Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 2:10pm

Just a heads up on seating. I sat first row center last night and though I couldn't see feet I could see everything else.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#94Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 2:30pm

I'm sure it'll probably change again, but I prefer their original logo compared to this one - I think the broadway lights look cheapish. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

MadsonMelo
#95Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 2:53pm

Anyone going to the final performance on October 14th?

I will be there and would like to here good advices about seating and buying tickets. 

I was hoping for a rush, but it seems it won't be happening.

another sloe eyed vamp Profile Photo
another sloe eyed vamp
#96Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 6:08pm

For hotels, I like the La Quinta on Franklin. It's walkable from the theater, and pretty reasonable for that area. 

Also, restaurant reservations are a good idea. There's a lot of fast food around there, but the nicer places tend to fill right up.

Updated On: 9/12/18 at 06:08 PM

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#97Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 6:28pm

another sloe eyed vamp said: "For hotels, I like the La Quinta on Franklin. It'swalkable from the theater, and pretty reasonable for that area.

Also, restaurant reservations are a good idea. There's a lot of fast food around there, but the nicer places tend to fill right up.

"

I work across the street from the theater. I recommend Petterino's, it's Chicago's version of Sardi's. It's a couple blocks away, but quite delicious. 

aussieskates
#98Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 7:29pm

I have been a huge fan of the movie, ever since it was released here back in early 1983.

In a way, I am glad it wasn't a direct play by play, but was instead, re-imagined for Broadway.

Thank you everyone who saw the show and posted their thoughts.

It sounds wonderful.

LLW2
#99Tootsie - Chicago tryout
Posted: 9/12/18 at 8:06pm

It looks like the Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Loop is just a five-minute walk from the theater. Is that area very safe at night for walking?