pixeltracker

Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS

Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS

natashalost
#1Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 8:58am

Just announced on the Today Show! Al will be playing the role of Joe from October 5 to November 11. On the today show he said he would be doing shows everyday, but according to Broadway.com, he will not be performing Saturday or Sunday matinees. 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Al-Roker-Will-Make-His-Broadway-Debut-In-WAITRESS-20180905

Updated On: 9/5/18 at 08:58 AM

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#2Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:06am

Huh. Wasn't someone just yesterday saying that the producers are so good at stunt casting? This...may not be an example of that.

For the record, I LOVE the show. But...huh.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#3Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:07am

I can't be the only one who did a confused head tilt when I read this headline.

natashalost
#4Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:10am

BroadwayConcierge said: "I can't be the only one who did a confused head tilt when I read this headline."

I was even more confused when they said on the Today Show that a “mega star” was joining the cast and our walked Al Roker. Crazy!

How does everyone think this is going to effect sales?

10086sunset
#5Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:10am

Honestly, this is just insulting.

Emmaloucbway
#6Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:12am

I thought this thread was a joke...

KFC1991
#7Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:14am

For a second, I had to ask myself whether it was April 1st or not.

laurensambrose Profile Photo
laurensambrose
#8Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:15am

Was the casting agency just throwing darts at a board to cast someone because they don't think Nicolette is going to sell? 

Evans2
#9Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:16am

What, Oak wasn't available?

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#10Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:17am

Having watched his oh-so-subtle acting in the Sharknado series, I'm eager to see what he can do here...

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

smidge
#11Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:17am

As soon as I saw them tease the announcement I said in the Waitress casting thread that it would be somebody from their show. I was hoping for Kathie Lee as Joe.

WestEndGal
#12Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:18am

This is so random lol! Can Al even act or sing?! 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#13Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:54am

It’s definitely strange casting to say the least, but I’m sure that Bareilles and co. will work with him to help learn the role, since they do a great job to ensure nobody makes a mockery of the project.

Plus, he has only one song (“Take It From An Old Man”) and it’s mostly soft-spoken. I’m sure he can handle it.

I have to say I’m intrigued

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#14Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:57am

Worst idea ever (hope I’m wrong). It’s a role that requires limited dancing/singing as I recall, correct? So, maybe... Still...when I saw this just on Facebook I thought it was a joke piece from The Onion.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#15Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 9:57am

On top of that, I’m appreciative that they continued to recast with such diversity in regards to race and ethnicity since this gives precedent to future productions that literally anybody can play they roles with no barriers

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#16Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 10:00am

KFC1991 said: "For a second, I had to ask myself whether it was April 1st or not."

Same exact reaction I had when I saw it. I had to keep scrolling through twitter waiting to see what the punch line was.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#17Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 10:33am

natashalost said: "And yes, he will be doing all 8 shows a week."

According to Broadway.com, he will not be doing weekend matinees. 

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/193166/al-roker-to-join-the-cast-of-broadways-waitress/

Updated On: 9/5/18 at 10:33 AM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#18Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 10:35am

Next up...Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan as Roxie Hart and Velma Kelly in Chicago...

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#19Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 10:36am

Miles2Go2 said: "Next up...Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan as Roxie Hart and Velma Kelly in Chicago..."

I would see that in an instant.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#20Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 10:37am

Wow! Will he be taking a leave of absence from the Today show while he's at Waitress?

Doing evening shows that last until 10-11pm and then waking up super early (4 or 5 am?) to be on the Today show sounds exhausting to me. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#21Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 11:26am

I'll admit, when I saw Larry Marshall play Old Joe, I was curious how well a black Old Joe would be received- the character is innocuous enough when played by a white guy, but inches into "Magical Negro" territory when cast as a person of color. Fortunately it's not like the show steers too hard into that characterization, and I think the "sassy, horny, advice-giving old black man who solves the hero's problem in the end and then disappears" trope will be less obvious when Jenna is also black.

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#22Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 11:37am

And the role of Larry Murphy at this performance will be played by Anthony Bourdain.
Seriously though, why are they putting a weatherman on Broadway?? I really thought this was a joke

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#23Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 11:39am

This just smells of desperation. Just announce a January closing already with Bareilles returning.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#25Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 12:13pm

This show is produced by the Weisslers...

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#26Al Roker to join Broadway cast of WAITRESS
Posted: 9/5/18 at 12:13pm

HamilHansen said: "Oh dear, what are we going to get next? Kendrick Lamar as Thomas Jefferson? Steve Carell as Alfred Doolittle? TOMMY WISEAU AS ELPHABA?"

Uh, two out of three of those sound like great ideas.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Latest Posts