Company London

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#25Company London
Posted: 10/1/18 at 10:45pm

Unless it gets extended the show is in West End until December 22nd. 

Normally on Broadway the holiday season is one of the busiest (and most expensive) time to see theater. I wonder if it's the same case in London. Do you guys think this show will have an extension or two?

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#26Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 2:25am

Valentina3 said: "I so want to hear Bailey's Not Getting Married Today ugh. His Last Five Years audition video is on my work playlist."

Bailey literally stopped the show the night i saw it...he really is that good...but in all honesty there were quite a few show stoppers in this production...this is a must see production of this beloved show...trust me i saw the original production in 1970 10 times!...

eastcoasttheatre
#27Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 4:05am

I wonder if John Groff would make a good 'traditional' bobby 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#28Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 7:21am

ljay889 said: "I agree, I think a spring (2019) transfer is pretty likely."

PRAYING this happens.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

RJ14
#29Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 11:29am

This production must transfer! 

Bobby as the girl works so well newcomers won't realize the lead was written as male.

The rewrite works too. Does anyone know if Sondheim rewrote it? Jonathan Bailey really nailed "Not Getting Married Today". "Being Alive" proves to be one of the best thing Sondheim ever written musically and lyrically delivered so wonderfully by Rosalie Craig. The only number that doesn't work so well is "Another Hundred People", I don't think a male voice fits the song. Joanne offering Bobby to Larry seems a bit weird to me too.

Updated On: 10/2/18 at 11:29 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#30Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 11:32am

eastcoasttheatre said: "I wonder if John Groff would make a good 'traditional' bobby"

Jonathan Groff is my absolute dream Bobby (in a production with a male lead, of course). But I will take Company back on Broadway in any way, shape, or form. Really hope we get a transfer in the spring!!!

GreatBroadwayFan Profile Photo
GreatBroadwayFan
#31Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 2:48pm

Seeing that almost every major revival/production of "Company" has been professionally filmed (Sam Mendes' 1995 London revival, John Doyle's 2006 Broadway revival and the 2011 NYPH concert), do you think this revival will get filmed as well??

Also how likely are we get to get a cast recording of this show?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#32Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 2:59pm

I think a cast recording is likely. I'm not sure about a filming.

I'm also hearing a Broadway transfer is likely but probably with a name American actress in the lead.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

BroadwayConcierge
#33Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 3:00pm

QueenAlice said: "I'm also hearing a Broadway transfer is likely but probably with a name American actress in the lead."

My mind is running wild with the possibilities...

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#34Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 3:06pm

And for what its worth, I don't necessarily think they have a 'name American Actress" confirmed to do this, merely that this is what they are planning.

I will let those who have actually seen this production take the lead in offering suggestions, but sure I'd love to see Sutton, Audra, Laura Benanti, even Kelli O'Hara try this. I wonder if someone like Anne Hathaway could sing it?

BroadwayConcierge
#35Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 3:10pm

QueenAlice said: "I wonder if someone like Anne Hathaway could sing it? "

I have absolutely no idea why, but Anne Hathaway came to the front of my mind first. I have zero clue if she could sing Bobbi/y's score, but I can't escape her name for this role.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#36Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 3:19pm

Well for whatever its worth - as someone who likes Rosalie Craig a great deal, she isn't (as another poster points out) a huge powerhouse vocalist. But then, I'm not sure that having an extraordinary singing voice is the principal qualification for playing Bobby. Has it ever been?

Updated On: 10/2/18 at 03:19 PM

BroadwayConcierge
#37Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 3:26pm

QueenAlice said: "Well for whatever its worth - as someone who likes Rosalie Craig a great deal, she isn't a huge powerhouse vocalist. I'm not sure that having an extraordinary singing voice is the principal qualification for playing Bobby. Has it ever been?"

I definitely think Bobby is more of an acting role than a vocally complex role, but Bobby must be able to tear down the house in "Being Alive." 

Updated On: 10/2/18 at 03:26 PM

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#38Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 4:52pm

I heard a few weeks ago that Patti would be the only one transferring and even that isn't in stone.

Also heard a "name" star was involved.  

I'm very very very excited for this.

If we get this and Ivo's West Side Story in the same season... I'll be a very happy camper.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#39Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 5:23pm

Well Patti also said in an interview about a month ago that she has a play in the pipeline after Company, but didn't give any specifics on what or where.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#40Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 9:20pm

According to twitter, Tick Tock is now in the production as of the most recent performance. It apparently wasn’t ready last week. Of course, it’s previews, and they could decide it doesn’t ultimately work.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#41Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 9:42pm

givesmevoice said: "Well Patti also said in an interview about a month ago that she has a play in the pipeline after Company, but didn't give any specifics on what or where."

O!? I wonder if it could be Glengarry Glen Ross?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#42Company London
Posted: 10/2/18 at 11:03pm

Sondheimite said: "I heard a few weeks ago that Patti would be the only one transferring and even that isn't in stone.

Also heard a "name" star was involved.

I'm very very very excited for this.

If we get this and Ivo's West Side Story in the same season... I'll be a very happy camper.
"

Sutton Foster. Please and thank you. 

Lily Garland2
#43Company London
Posted: 10/3/18 at 1:22am

IDINA MENZEL

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#44Company London
Posted: 10/3/18 at 1:38am

It's not but could you IMAGINE if Lady Gaga decided it was time to get the T in her EGOT?

Broadway World's Fireman.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#45Company London
Posted: 10/3/18 at 2:40am

ljay889 said: "According to twitter, Tick Tock is now in the production as of the most recent performance. It apparently wasn’t ready last week. Of course, it’s previews, and they could decide it doesn’t ultimately work."

Ah I wondered about that--as it was mentioned early on by the director that it would be more about the "tick tock" of Bobbie's biological clock (which is the entire conceit as to why friends would be pushing for a 35 year old in 2018 to get married).

Glad to hear the praise for Jonathan Bailey--I've been a big fan for a while.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#46Company London
Posted: 10/3/18 at 6:36am

Is Bernadette too old to play a 35 year old?

Otherwise, no idea what ‘name’ they could be approaching in this age range. Unless they are looking outside Broadway, there are no ‘names’.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#47Company London
Posted: 10/3/18 at 8:13am

Well, the above mention people (Audra, Idina, Sutton and Kelli) do have ‘name’ recognition in NYC and would sell more tickets than Rosalie Craig.

Skywalker3
#48Company London
Posted: 10/3/18 at 8:41am

But they are all over 40..  Sutton can play Younger (get it..) but the others don't look 35 anymore.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#49Company London
Posted: 10/3/18 at 10:58am

I love Audra & Kelli but I just don’t see it. I would prefer Sutton but something just doesn’t feel right about that either. I just know exactly how Sutton will perform the role and it’s not for me.

I actually could see Idina but it feels like she has already played the role in If/Then. Beth as Bobby in Company. Time to “Move On”.

To me this is the vehicle that Laura Benanti deserves. It would be novel to bring Patti back too and have a bit of a Gypsy reunion. It’s just so her. She has the humour. The sexiness. The look. The right voice. Everything about it seems perfect.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000