pixeltracker

Chorus Line @ NY City Center- Page 3

Chorus Line @ NY City Center

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#50Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:25pm

Yep, basically a bunch of recycled vets from the revival and tours. A few newbies there, but nothing exciting. Unless there's a discount code available, I'll skip it.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#51Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:34pm

ACL2006 said: "Yep, basically a bunch of recycled vets from the revival and tours. A few newbies there, but nothing exciting. Unless there's a discount code available, I'll skip it."

If anyone from this production team/The Bennet Estate is watching this thread,

it should be noted that someone who's username/avatar is centered around A Chorus Line no longer has much interest in seeing this major production of it.

What does it say that the core market for this isn't excited at all?

Evolve or watch your show fade away!!!

Broadway World's Fireman.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#52Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:38pm

The 50th Anniversary Revival for 2025 has already been rumored. It takes so long for shows to happen, we'll probably find out in the next 3 years if it will be a replica or a new production. The rights are controlled by John Breglio, who was Bennett's lawyer, estate executor, and producer of the last revival. He hasn't ruled out the idea of a new staging, so hopefully the ENCORES mounting will solidify his thinking.

The show is about youthful ambition and career reinvention, and you're not going to get that with 80-year-old Bob Avian and 71-year-old Baayork Lee, with ALL respect for the important work they've done preserving Bennett's staging and teaching it to new generations of dancers.

If Ted Chapin/R&H can let OKLAHOMA at St. Ann's happen and if the Robbins/Bernstein/Laurents can let Ivo Van Hove tackle WEST SIDE, Breglio can loosen the reins on A CHORUS LINE.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#53Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:58pm

This is one of the most unexciting casts I have seen.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Sondheimite
#54Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:59pm

Also, if I may...

my biggest issue with trying to re-create a dead director/choreographers work is that it can never be more than an exercise of going through the motions. 

People like Bennett, Fosse, and Robbins were able to explain to their performers the motivations behind the actions.  They were able to tell their performers WHY and what motivates the move from an acting/human perspective.

Now?  It's just hollow recreation because the people who created what is being replicated aren't there to explain the WHY behind the actions. There is no way it cannot look hollow, phoned in, and paint-by-numbers.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#55Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 3:07pm

At least Leigh Zimmerman is reprising her Olivier Award winning Sheila

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#56Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 5:38pm

Sondheimite said: "ACL2006 said: "Yep, basically a bunch of recycled vets from the revival and tours. A few newbies there, but nothing exciting. Unless there's a discount code available, I'll skip it."

If anyone from this production team/The Bennet Estate is watching this thread,

it should be noted that someone who's username/avatar is centered around A Chorus Line no longer has much interest in seeing this major production of it.

What does it say that the core market for this isn't excited at all?

Evolve or watch your show fade away!!!
"

Here's my history of ACL and why I love it so much. The original production gave me my love of musical theater. It's what inspired me to pursue a career in musical theater. I've done numerous productions of ACL playing or covered every male on the line(except Richie & Paul) & every cut dancer. I've met some of the best people & had some of my favorite experiences doing this show. I saw the revival 9 times and thoroughly enjoyed it outside of a few cast members. I've seen numerous tours and thought the most recent non-equity tours was one of the best productions ever. I've sat through some bad productions, the most notable being the recent one at Papermill. My love of the show kept me going during the times when I wasn't booking ANYTHING, especially during the recession of 2008-09 when I thought I was supposed to retire. I honestly can't count anymore how times I've seen a production of ACL & how many performances of ACL I've done. The love is there.

However, I watched "highlights" of the recent Hollywood Bowl(July 2016) production which used mostly recycled vets. Outside of a few bright spots(Mara Davi, Ross Lynch, Leigh Zimmerman), it was terrible. I would love to be wrong about this production at City Center, but the Hollywood Bowl version came off as this was just another paycheck for most of these actors and I fear the same about this production. I have no doubt Yazbeck will be amazing as Zach, but J. Elaine as Val? Eddie Gutierrez has been playing Paul for 10 years now. My hope is that the ACL newbies will breathe life into this production much like the recent non-equity ACL tour did. I like Sara Etsy as Maggie, Tommy Bracco as Mike & Jay Johnson as Bobby(who played Mark in the first national tour). But I'll join the chorus here and say I'd be very willing to see a new version of this show or even an updated production. I don't see a 2025 revival of this show lasting long if it's the same carbon copy version.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#57Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 9:52pm

If you’ve never seen her I’d suggest going just for Robyn she’s perfection in the role.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#58Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/19/18 at 2:07am

I think we'e ready for a re-imagined version. Great show. But I'm bored with seeing the same damn thing. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#59Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/19/18 at 8:41am

Sondheimite said: "Also, if I may...

my biggest issue with trying to re-create a dead director/choreographers work is that it can never be more than an exercise of going through the motions.

People like Bennett, Fosse, and Robbins were able to explain to their performers the motivations behind the actions. They were able to tell their performers WHY and what motivates the move from an acting/human perspective..
"

Exactly. I felt the last revival suffered from this. There was a rigor and an edge to Bennett's work that was missing from the last revival. And do we honestly think he would revive the work today and not change a thing? 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#60Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/19/18 at 10:50am

I saw Robyn on tour as Cassie, and I loved her! Read a little too young for me when I heard she was replacing in the tour in my city, but totally won me over. She's great!

Also, to note the Stratford Festival production from a few years ago was the first production to be granted permission to change choreography. It was performed on their thrust Shakespearean stage, and was magic!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/Exclusive-Get-A-First-Look-at-Stratfords-Reimagined-A-CHORUS-LINE-20160506

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#61Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/22/18 at 1:23pm

Any word on a discount code for this? I’m one of those rare theater queens who has never seen this show live. I was hoping for a more exciting cast, so I’m now hoping for a more exciting discount

"In here, life is beautiful"

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#62Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/22/18 at 1:26pm

Also waiting on a discount. Only way I'll see it. Not paying around $100 for a ticket when I just saw the recent tour for $45.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#63Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/22/18 at 4:54pm

How in the world could you re-imagine A Chorus Line? It's as stripped down as it could get. Not trying to be a hater here, because I love a re-imagined work... but unless they completely change the context, I'm not sure what you can do.

nasty_khakis
#64Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/22/18 at 5:00pm

raddersons said: "How in the world could you re-imagineA Chorus Line? It's as stripped down as it could get. Not trying to be a hater here, because I love a re-imagined work... but unless they completely change the context, I'm not sure what you can do."

I don't think people want a version set in a spaceship in the future. People just want to see new staging, new choreography, new costumes. It's literally always done with Cassie in a red leotard and ballet skirt, why can't she be in blue jazz pants? Why can't we choreograph "Music and the Mirror" that plays to her particular strengths instead of forcing them into Donna McKechnie's back bends?

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#65Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/22/18 at 5:04pm

Have it be set in modern day. Have the set be the audition room on one end, and the waiting room on the other. Have coustumes that reflect what dancers would wear today, have the creative team behind chairs. Have the audience vote on who gets cut and who makes it. Have choreography that matches what we would see today. It doesnt need to be a huge change, but what we have now is boring

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#66Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/22/18 at 5:13pm

nasty_khakis said: "raddersons said: "How in the world could you re-imagineA Chorus Line? It's as stripped down as it could get. Not trying to be a hater here, because I love a re-imagined work... but unless they completely change the context, I'm not sure what you can do."

I don't think people want a version set in a spaceship in the future. People just want to see new staging, new choreography, new costumes. It's literally always done with Cassie in a red leotard and ballet skirt, why can't she be in blue jazz pants? Why can't we choreograph "Music and the Mirror" that plays to her particular strengths instead of forcing them into Donna McKechnie's back bends?
"

Because she'd fade into the line in blue jazz pants.  The red automatically draws your eye and it sets her apart from the others.  She's also the only person on that stage in a skirt, which gives her a little 'age.'  It makes her a little outdated in comparison to the younger dancers she's up against.  That kind of differentiating through costume kind of essential to the story telling.  I'm not saying someone can't come up with something else that works as well...it's just that they haven't.

I agree that the one degree of separation from the creators (Bennett, Fosse, Robbins) means that the intentions behind the movement get watered down.  Both Fosse and Bennett were able to work outside the musical world.  They were, in many ways, actors' directors.  We don't really have that with our choreographers these days. 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#67Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/22/18 at 5:39pm

I guess I'm in the minority but I actually am happy to have a reliable broadway (no-stunt-casting) cast doing the original choreography and hopefully the original set design. This might be in part because I'm bringing my boyfriend who has never seen the show , so I am hoping he gets a similar experience to when I first saw the show.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#68Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/23/18 at 2:56pm

SonofRobbieJ said: "I agree that the one degree of separation from the creators (Bennett, Fosse, Robbins) means that the intentions behind the movement get watered down. 

I think this is more what I was thinking when I said ACL can't really be "re-imagined". A Chorus Line was based on real interviews with dancers in the 70s, some of which ended up in the original cast of the show, and of which the lines were ripped directly from the interviews. I think it's 70s-ness is an integral part of the whole show. You can't make it modern -- no one says "necking" these days, and not a ton of women use a diaphragm. You could always change the book a bit, sure, but that seems to be denying the process of the show, as something devised based off of interviews with real dancers. So you have more interviews with modern dancers... but don't the original ones say enough already? Does that start totally changing the content of the show? Why not change the costumes? Sure, but they'll still have to be 70s dance outfits -- not too big a change. Why not set it in 70s USSR? Okay, but doesn't really add anything to the core of the story.

I think the only changes that can be done while still maintaining the integrity of "A Chorus Line" as a piece are non-traditional casting, a little bit of the staging, and changing the choreo. And if that's all y'all are looking for, then yeah, this is pretty boring casting. But honestly, I think any reason this show loses its "magic" is just due to being further removed from the time period it's set in, the idea of a concept musical not being as revolutionary, and over familiarity with the piece itself. 

I'm just spit-balling here.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#69Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/23/18 at 3:20pm

Bwayfan292 said: "Have it be set in modern day. Have the set be the audition room on one end, and the waiting room on the other. Have coustumes that reflect what dancers would wear today, have the creative team behind chairs. Have the audience vote on who gets cut and who makes it. Have choreography that matches what we would see today. It doesnt need to be a huge change, but what we have now is boring"

Ew.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#70Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/24/18 at 11:37am

Did someone say nontraditional casting? Several years ago, at the BC/EFA Broadway Backwards, Tony Yazbeck did "Music and the Mirror" and it was the most exciting version I'd seen since Donna in the original. Now THAT would make the production way more exciting!

nasty_khakis
#71Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/24/18 at 12:03pm

Oh, I know about the original costumes and why they're important and why they work. I just used a generic example and basically mean OTHER/new costumes can work too. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#72Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/24/18 at 1:05pm

Curious about the Gala performance on Wednesday @ 6pm? Tickets are available and appear to be the cheapest. It also fits best into my schedule for that week. Is there a dress code for this performance? Speeches? What should I expect for a Gala performance?

Sondheimite
#73Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/24/18 at 1:22pm

There's no way this sells out and I have a feeling there will be so heavily reduced ticket prices or a little papering.  

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#74Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/24/18 at 1:42pm

ACL2006 said: "Curious about the Gala performance on Wednesday @ 6pm? Tickets are available and appear to be the cheapest. It also fits best into my schedule for that week. Is there a dress code for this performance? Speeches? What should I expect for a Gala performance?"

I went to the Gala performance of Brigadoon last year and there were a few speeches beforehand but it was business as usual.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.