pixeltracker

Next show from the first decade of the 2000’s to be revived?- Page 2

Next show from the first decade of the 2000’s to be revived?

kelsey1389 Profile Photo
kelsey1389
#25Next
Posted: 10/9/18 at 11:31am

RippedMan said: "I’d love to see a Stephanie Block lead Next to Normal."

I didn't know I needed this until I saw this, and now I NEED it.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#26Next
Posted: 10/9/18 at 11:40am

reginula said: "I can't believe no one has said Thoroughly Modern Millie."

Because the show isn't that great, it sort of struggled originally, and the Mrs. Meers stuff feels really dated and cringeworthy for a show that was only written 16 years ago?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#27Next
Posted: 10/9/18 at 12:10pm

Caroline or Change directed by Wolfe.

Urinetown

Just give the world Love.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#28Next
Posted: 10/9/18 at 12:13pm

Millie is the fun, wacky, happy-go-lucky comedy about human trafficking, workplace sexual harassment, and racism that we didn't know we needed until we had it. As such, expect to see it much less in the years to come.

Unrelated: the best production of American Idiot that I ever saw was a semi-immersive production sponsored by a local heroin and opiates prevention and awareness program. It was ostensibly set in the 1990s instead of the 2000s, drawing its design more from Billie Joe's autobiographical story and the First Gulf War than the Bush-era iconography of the music videos.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#29Next
Posted: 10/9/18 at 12:52pm

Dance of the Vampires, but not with that title and definitely without the NY book. A team is actively making efforts in this direction.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

MauraLovesMusicals
#30Next
Posted: 10/9/18 at 1:04pm

please give me a millie revival. the biggest discouragement against it is the whole mrs. meers thing but i feel that without it, she has the ability to be seen in a more sympathetic light, which isn’t so. 

also, i’m SO down for an in the heights revival

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#31Next
Posted: 10/9/18 at 1:52pm

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "Dance of the Vampires, but not with that title and definitely without the NY book. A team is actively making efforts in this direction."

I was just about to say the same thing. I wonder if such a revival would be eligible for “Best Revival,” or if it would be considered a different show from the original Broadway production. 

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#32Next
Posted: 10/9/18 at 2:03pm

No clue, but I understand Broadway is not the team's first port of call. They're looking to do something either in appropriately themed nightclubs or an immersive pop-up venue a la Great Comet.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#33Next
Posted: 10/9/18 at 3:01pm

kelsey1389 said: "RippedMan said: "I’d love to see a Stephanie Block lead Next to Normal."

I didn't know I needed this until I saw this, and now I NEED it.

"

In my opinion Diana Goodman of N2N has/will become one of the Iconic roles that will be used to define a career along the lines of Mama Rose, Dolly Levi, Miss Hannigan, Mrs Lovett. As such any revial will be built around a “star”, but unfortunately I think its first Broadway revival will be built around a Hollywood star. N2N has done by every regional theater and thensome,  due to its small cast, orchestra, simple set, and its Pulitzer Prize. Because of this producers are going to have to give bridge and tunnel audiences a reason to pay Broadway prices for a show they can see at their local theater for a quarter the price. 

I’d love to see either Stephanie J Block take on Diana, but unless her performance in  the Cher Show becomes as buzzworthy as Jessie Mueller in Beautiful, Billy Porter in Kinky Boots, or Andrea Martin in Pippin where she goes from Broadway favorite to marquee name, no producer would take the risk on her. Don’t get me wrong though N2N is 1st on my list of 2000’s shows that deserve a revival.

I’d also weirdy love a a double bill of Hair and American Idiot. I know it will never happen, but it can be argued that American Idiot is to the wars in Irag and Afghanistan as Hair is to the Vietnam war. The production could be seen through the idea that Johnny Tunny, Will, and/or other characters of from American Idiot are the kids of the Hair Tribe. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#34Next
Posted: 10/10/18 at 12:18am

Maybe we will get a Next to Normal at City Center sometime. I think it's a great piece of theater, and I think there's probably a better production out there than what we saw on Broadway. Curious to see the Chicago production by Cromer. 

Erin V
#35Next
Posted: 10/10/18 at 8:55am

Next To Normal! Absolfreakinlutely!

singer234
#36Next
Posted: 10/10/18 at 10:12am

I’m dying for an all star Hairspray. Even if it’s a limited engagement. It’ll be 10 years this January.

Emmaloucbway
#37Next
Posted: 10/10/18 at 10:26am

I would love an Aida revival (with a revised book maybe?)

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#38Next
Posted: 10/10/18 at 10:40am

I feel like AIDA would have worked better as a sung-through musical or a rock opera; the concept album seems to hint at it having been developed that way at first, with most of the songs having lyrics that more directly move the plot rather than commenting on it.

laurensambrose Profile Photo
laurensambrose
#39Next
Posted: 10/10/18 at 11:16am

If Stephanie J. Block happens to be busy for a Next to Normal revival, can I throw Carmen Cusack's name in the mix? Also truly hope we get Hairspray back for some relevant escapist theater. 

singer234
#40Next
Posted: 10/10/18 at 11:59am

Tracy is so ahead of her time. The show could have ended when she was cast on the show. A victory for Tracy against her sizeist community. What makes Tracy an exceptional character is her refusal to stop fighting until *everyone* can be on be the show. She is a true pioneer for intersectionality. And her decision to let her boyfriend go because of it. As we all try to grapple with our family members and loved ones who may be more focused with how to improve their own lives than the lives of those in their community, this show seems very fresh. It was timely in 2002, but it is scary relevant now.

Rainah
#41Next
Posted: 10/10/18 at 1:13pm

Frankly, I am shocked that there is not already and In The Heights revival up and running. With LMM's name seemingly a license to print money... they can't open up another company of Hamilton on broadway, but they can open up In The Heights, and that's nearly as good. 

(I like ITH on its own merits, enjoy the show and would love a revival. But from a purely cash grab standpoint I'm surprised its taken this long)

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#42Next
Posted: 10/10/18 at 1:37pm

I finally saw In The Heights 2 years in London in a set-up similar to Circle in the Square, except as I recall it was just bleachers on either side of the stage instead of in-the-round. It was great. When it is revived, I’d love to see it revived in similar fashion.

I do think maybe Lin is hesitant to okay a revival just yet since there is the upcoming movie which he might want to use to increase enthusiasm for a revival (sort of like the Chicago movie has possibly helped keep the revival afloat). And, let’s face it, LMM is hella busy these days with his fingers in several pies. Plus, ITH, as great as it is, is not Hamilton. A revival won’t run as long (they rarely do) and he probably doesn’t want to tarnish the reputation of ITH if it doesn’t recoup. I think it would, but who knows. Maybe he just doesn’t think it’s time, yet. It also might be wise to go the off-broadway semi-immersive Sweeney Todd route.

StephieElise
#43Next
Posted: 10/11/18 at 4:53am

I had a dream a few weeks ago that there was a Broadway revival of the Boy From Oz starring Rohan Browne. I think he’s more talented than Hugh Jackman, so I’d love to see it happen!

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#44Next
Posted: 1/6/19 at 2:58pm

The 2009 revival of Ragtime please and thank you.

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#45Next
Posted: 1/6/19 at 3:07pm

Caroline, or Change please.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#46Next
Posted: 1/6/19 at 3:57pm

Urinetown, especially since I think it had to go before it's time. If it didn't have to loose it's theater, I think it could have run longer. It wasn't popular enough at the time to warrant it moving to a new theatre but I think it was popular enough still to have kept running in it's theatre maybe another year or two if not for the construction.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#47Next
Posted: 1/6/19 at 4:13pm

I don't think it's a question of if IN THE HEIGHTS gets revived in the next 2-10 years: it will, and I would put money on Tommy Kail & the original creative team returning (either as a remount or a re-tooled vision). Especially if the film is big and Lin's star keeps rising.

"Hot take" prediction: it re-opens the Palace for a limited (15-20wk) engagement. Or, it could easily do 6-12+ months at a smaller venue like the Nederlander or Atkinson.

MauraLovesMusicals
#48Next
Posted: 1/6/19 at 4:17pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "I don't think it's a question of ifIN THE HEIGHTS gets revived in the next 2-10 years: it will, and I would put money on Tommy Kail & the original creative team returning (either asa remount or a re-tooled vision). Especially if the film is big and Lin's star keeps rising.

"Hot take" prediction: it re-opens the Palace for a limited (15-20wk) engagement. Or, it could easily do 6-12+ months at a smaller venue like the Nederlander or Atkinson.
"

the kennedy center production was also a smash hit. i don’t think i even saw a mediocre review of it. and with anthony ramos’s ever increasing film rep (with stuff like ‘a star is born&rsquoNext, and lin saying himself that anthony was better than himself in the role, i would take the guess that he’ll be in both the movie and the following revival

Malinda5000
#49Next
Posted: 1/6/19 at 4:43pm

Aida