pixeltracker

HADESTOWN to open this spring at the Walter Kerr- Page 4

HADESTOWN to open this spring at the Walter Kerr

CedricOates
#75HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/1/18 at 1:29pm

Just by going from word of mouth and my agent; All roles for principals for HADESTOWN on Broadway have been offered to the London cast. That being said, that means there is a really good chance the Orpheus from London (who hasn’t had favorable reviews) will transfer to Broadway :/ glad an actor has work, but performance wise ....

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#76HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/1/18 at 1:34pm

Can we just be happy that there's FINALLY going to be a score on Broadway that isn't either

a) derivative "musical theatre" style slop.
b) rap but like... Sesame Street Rap.
c) we threw a electric guitar on top of a derivative theatre score and now we're calling it rock! 

Finally some tuneful, melodic, and authentic music on Broadway again.
There hasn't been a fantastic new score on Broadway that innovated the medium since Passing Strange and I'm very excited to hear Hadestown in a Broadway house.

Broadway World's Fireman.

Impossible2
#77HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/1/18 at 2:03pm

Sondheimite said: "Can we just be happy that there's FINALLY going to be a score on Broadway that isn't either

a) derivative "musical theatre" style slop.
b) rap but like... Sesame Street Rap.
c) we threw a electric guitar on top of a derivative theatre score and now we're calling it rock!

Finally some tuneful, melodic, and authentic music on Broadway again.
There hasn't been a fantastic new score on Broadway that innovated the medium since Passing Strange and I'm very excited to hear Hadestown in a Broadway house.
"

There is nothing wrong with the musical itself, it's fantastic as are all of the cast bar Orpheus.

The problem (in London) is the terrible lack of direction and staging, but the 'musical' itself is in great shape except for maybe a few too many ballads and repetitive lyrics that could be excised pretty easily without being missed.

The fact that Chavkin seems to have made the National Theatre stage a 'rehearsal' for Broadway is also a little insulting considering it's importance.

Unless she gets her finger out and starts moving her cast around a bit there is no Tony in her future and if she does win it will have been to make up for her loss on a much better show.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#78HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/1/18 at 6:50pm

The negative word of mouth that this board is talking about is a myth. There's like 3 posters that are loudly bad mouthing this show while everyone everywhere else is raving about it, sans Orpheus, who I've heard many complaints about. This will do very well. In fact, I've heard many people refer to this as a "modern Evita or Jesus Christ Superstar or Les Miserables." Chavkin seems to have put the score forward, which is smart considering how beautiful it is. I agree with Sondheimite 100% here. This is a great score that feels very genuine and is also written by a woman which is something to celebrate.

GVS2
#79HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/1/18 at 9:01pm

I thought that Reeve Carney's portrayals of Orpheus in Edmonton and London were outstanding. For those speculating about his talent, give the guy a chance and form your own opinion after seeing the show for yourself. When he sang "Wait for Me," I got chills. When he signed outside the stage door, he could not have been any more humble, appreciative, and generous.

Impossible2
#80HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/2/18 at 9:22am

GVS2 said: "I thought that Reeve Carney's portrayals of Orpheus in Edmonton and London were outstanding. For those speculating about his talent, give the guy a chance and form your own opinion after seeing the show for yourself. When he sang"Wait for Me," I got chills. When he signed outside the stage door, he could not have been any more humble, appreciative, and generous."

I actually didn't think he was 'bad' as such, its just everyone else was so good that he was the weak point.

He is obviously very talented and his voice was absolutely beautiful at times, he was just boring, but then I thought their story was underwhelming compared to their older counterparts.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#81HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/3/18 at 1:15pm

Mike Barrett said: "Ya to me Ive heard nothing but mixed since London."

London and Broadway don't always have a lot in common with their musical preferences.

I'm happy to see the London cast got offers. Eva Noblezada was great.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Rainah
#82HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/3/18 at 3:40pm

GVS2 said: "I thought that Reeve Carney's portrayals of Orpheus in Edmonton and London were outstanding. For those speculating about his talent, give the guy a chance and form your own opinion after seeing the show for yourself. When he sang"Wait for Me," I got chills. When he signed outside the stage door, he could not have been any more humble, appreciative, and generous."

I don't think anyone is saying he's not a lovely person. Just that they think he's miscast in the role and would better suit one that can show off tge talents he does have.

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#83HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/6/18 at 10:16am

So should I buy the OLCR or wait for a new recording?   Will there be a OBCR?

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#84HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/6/18 at 10:37am

I assume a OBCR will happen. This is likely going to be an open run. Any word on tickets yet?? 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#85HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/6/18 at 11:22am

Unless Chavkin did nothing, I'm not sure how one can say there is a lack of direction of staging.

When it was NYTW, there was quite a substantial amount of both.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#86HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/6/18 at 2:38pm

Sondheimite I agree 100%!

Impossible2
#87HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/6/18 at 3:44pm

Kad said: "Unless Chavkin did nothing, I'm not sure how one can say there is a lack of direction of staging.

When it was NYTW, there was quite a substantial amount of both.
"

I missed a 'the' out. 

It should've read 'the lack of direction and 'the' staging'.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#88HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/6/18 at 8:07pm

Sondheimite said: "IHeartNY2 said: "
What about Ain't Too Proud???"

A great tax write off for all those invested!

"

The shade, honey. The shade. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#89HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/7/18 at 2:12am

Did the show do well in London? Why wouldn't they open in the West End first and then Broadway? Same with Groundhog's Day. I think this will be a tough sell to audiences. And I know people love it, and I've tried to listen to it a few times, and there's a few pretty moments, but overall, I just didn't get it. But maybe with the staging it's more interesting. Curious to see how "big" the show is since everyone said it's a big show, but the Kerr is pretty small. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#90HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/7/18 at 7:06am

I tried listening to the cast recording before I saw the show and just couldn’t get into it at all. After having seen it now, I can’t stop listening to it.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#91HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/7/18 at 11:28am

I def want to see it, just don't get the hype amongst the theater crowd of how amazing it is...at least not yet! But excited to see it. "I was alone so long I didn't realize I was lonely" is my favorite lyric in the past 5 years. 

natashalost
#92HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/7/18 at 7:10pm

Sondheimite said: "There hasn't been a fantastic new score on Broadway that innovated the medium since Passing Strange... 

What about Hamilton or The Band's Visit? I do think innovative scores are rare, but there certainly has been a few in the last decade. 

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#93HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/7/18 at 7:53pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I JUST saw it this afternoon and LOOOOVED it!"

Where did you see it?  London?

Jordan Catalano
Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#95HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/7/18 at 9:33pm

Jordan, do you think the Kerr is a good theatre for this show? Any recommendations on seating?

Jordan Catalano
#96HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/7/18 at 10:35pm

I can’t imagkne how it’s going to be at the Kerr, actually. The Olivier is like the Beaumont so they’re going to have to change it in order to fit a traditional stage. But its a big show, so I’d suggest the front mezz, if at all possible.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#97HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/8/18 at 4:35am

But when are you seeing Company???

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano
#98HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/8/18 at 6:33am

I had done already seended COMPANY!

Theatrefanboy1
#99HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/8/18 at 8:57am

I just came back from seeing it and I honestly loved it. Visually the “wait for me” scene was incredible and I loved the refrain itself. The only part I found a bit surprising was the end and how quickly it just ends. But I guess that’s to be expected. I found the casts to be enjoyable and comparing it to the revival of company I found it to be a little more consistent throughout.