pixeltracker

HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!- Page 11

HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#250HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/29/19 at 1:38pm

This board spent 6 months speculating, begging, arguing, and insisting that Hunchback would move to Broadway. It didn’t.

Disney is far more concerned insuring Frozen can stay on broadway for 5 more years rather than bring a 4th competitor into their line up.

Will definitely be interesting to see how it all plays out.

\_(•_•)_/ Profile Photo
\_(•_•)_/
#251HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/29/19 at 2:17pm

The expectations of everyone here are way higher than they need to be, and I believe a lot of you will be disappointed.

Using common sense and the image shared of the stage, I wouldn't expect the show to be fully staged. It looks tiny and with 117 people on the stage, there won’t be a lot of moving around. I would love to be proven wrong, but how do you fit that many people, on a tiny stage, without just standing there?

Let us also not forget that Frozen isn’t doing box office magic, it would be idiotic to bring in a Fourth show. This is very much shaping out to be like the Mulan jr that years ago went out for licensing that we all forgot about.

Kea4
#252HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/29/19 at 2:33pm

Anyone planning on doing the standby lottery this weekend? I'm thinking of trying on Monday. Please report back if you do so!

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#253HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/30/19 at 3:52pm

I'm definitely going to try the stand-by lottery this weekend and will report back.

Here's an interview with Laurie Woolery, the director of Public Works, about the production. 

https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/public-works-interview-laurie-woolery-hercules-disney-68785/?fbclid=IwAR3aSK0p18M1S5pxNcr_PY2UoCAfk_W_F8bLAN6wi3uTn1oc31ogGHcZLlM

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#254HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/30/19 at 4:27pm

“Using common sense and the image shared of the stage, I wouldn't expect the show to be fully staged. It looks tiny and with 117 people on the stage, there won’t be a lot of moving around. I would love to be proven wrong, but how do you fit that many people, on a tiny stage, without just standing there? ”

I take it you’ve never seen a show at the Delacorte? Specifically  a Public Works show? The Delacorte is not Tiny by any means...

I was a part of the creative team for one of the Public Works shows and this will most definitely be a fully staged production and you’d be surprised how they can stage/choreograph that many people. Usually the full company is only on stage for the opening and closing number. The community members partnered with Public Works usually have three numbers with all of them in it and select community members are selected for featured/leading roles.

The New York specialty groups that change yearly are usually only featured in one number that showcases them and then are added to the gigantic finale/bows. It’s an amazing initiative and one of the highlights of my professional career to be in the room working on this from pre-pod through closing. It’s a massive rehearsal process with the community members rehearsing evenings for 4-5 hours. The specialty groups usually rehearse on their own at their spaces with some creatives there while others are rehearsing at the Public. All the Equity performers join later after the whole show has typically been staged; using the SM team, associate and assistant directors/choreographers, and interns as fill ins while its being staged. Once the Equity actors join they typically learn their tracks in a week during the day in put in rehearsals before joining the full company for night rehearsals. Lots of 10 of 12’s used for this epic production(s).

Also, before rehearsals with the community members begin the creative team workshops and choreograph/stage all the production numbers using professional dancers (donating their time). With the show I worked on it was mainly Juilliard and Pace students/recent alum. With that said, this production could be completely different as this is the first musical that wasn’t written/created specifically for Public Works.

Updated On: 8/30/19 at 04:27 PM

oldfriends
#255HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/30/19 at 4:50pm

Anybody currently in the standby line? How’s it looking?

musicaltheaterfan15
#256HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/30/19 at 4:52pm

They said to arrive as early as possible since they’re expecting a lengthy line for ticket pickup. I’ll be getting out of a show(Oklahoma) around 5pmish, so just slightly worried about losing my ticket. Has anyone experienced any difficulty picking up tickets in past shows at this theater??

CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
#257HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/30/19 at 5:23pm

oldfriends said: "Anybody currently in the standby line? How’s it looking?"

Um, I hope no one is there now since the show doesn’t start performances until tomorrow and there’s no standby line - it’s a standby lottery.

rafarosgon
#258HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/30/19 at 9:49pm

Dress rehearsal must be over soon! Can't wait to hear any reports 

Updated On: 8/30/19 at 09:49 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#259HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/30/19 at 10:32pm

^^I know! Eeeeeee! Stalking the IG right now.

_(•_&bullHERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!_/ said: "The expectations of everyone here are way higher than they need to be, and I believe a lot of you will be disappointed.

Using common sense and the image shared of the stage, I wouldn't expect the show to be fully staged.
"

Yup, like I said, I firmly believe that is a workshop, developmental lab, and a world premiere all in one. If it becomes a full show for Broadway in the distant future, it will be more grand. I know for the monsters...

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

It's going to be puppets with human beings. 

So, clearly they're testing the waters for the big technical/artistic possibilities. Schools and community theaters will go through the route.

I wonder if Hercules is also a dip in the water for a show like Moana, which would have similar technical/artistic demands as well. 

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#260HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/30/19 at 11:12pm

delete

Updated On: 8/30/19 at 11:12 PM

disneybroadwayfan22
VintageSnarker
#262HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/31/19 at 3:26am

I wouldn't knock the use of puppets. If I'm remembering right, As You Like It had beautiful puppets from James Ortiz (The Woodsman).

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#263HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/31/19 at 8:42am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!"

What are we looking at here? A post-show cast photo?

disneybroadwayfan22
#264HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/31/19 at 9:10am

BJR said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!"

What are we looking at here? A post-show cast photo?
"

Yeah and a bit of the main cast. I also found really good pictures of Jelani and Roger from an Instagram:

xoffender45
#265HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/31/19 at 9:41am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "
What are we looking at here? A post-show cast photo?"

Yeah and a bit of the main cast. I also found really good pictures of Jelani and Roger from an Instagram:

"
oh, ouch. Just gonna crop me out of my own photos and not give me credit? I see how it is! Lol 

disneybroadwayfan22
#266HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/31/19 at 10:17am

Oh no, I'm sorry haha :) If it helps, I cropped your face for protection. I really hope you loved the show. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Yeah, here is your account, honey: https://www.instagram.com/cjescandell/

cjmclaughlin10
#267HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 8/31/19 at 10:53pm

Just wanted to provide an update that I got in through tonight’s In Person Stand By Lotto (whatever they call it)
I thought it was verry well run (plenty of staff around to answer questions and register those who needed one for a Patron ID number)

Starting at 710 they gave out tickets (called out numbers, typically 4 at a time, and you won if you match), they gave them out pretty frequently up until 805-810 (when I got mine) There were ALLOT of people there, but I was impressed with how many they were giving to Stand By. All in all, the lotto was a fun experience

More on the show later, but I definitely see this as a licensing property down the line rather than a Broadway one

I hope people find this report helpful, and best of luck to those trying it for themselves

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#268HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 9/1/19 at 12:06am

(Not sure which thread to post in so I'm posting in both)

Saw the show tonight via the standby lottery. It was a huge crowd, but it was well-organized and moved swiftly. 

The show began late, around 8:20 or so (presumably to let more people in, which I appreciate). The show ran about 1h40m, so it got out right about 10. 

I thought the show was pretty fun and charming. Because it was Public Works, it had a healthy dosing of camp and schmaltzy sentimentality, but it was also somewhat more finely crafted than the other Public Works shows I've seen. Lots of the jokes were corny and a bit "eye roll"-y, but I also found myself laughing plenty. The way they tie in the Public Works concept of community was very sweet, and actually made a lot more sense than it did in Twelfth Night and As You Like It. 

The added songs are mostly pretty bland (I maintain that Alan Menken has lost his touch in the past decade or so, and I think that continues to be true), but I enjoyed the songs he wrote for Hades and Phil, mainly because of the fun performances by Bart and Iglehart. I did enjoy the song they added for Hercules right at the end of the show (it actually made me cry, if I'm being honest). And of course, it was really fun to hear the songs from the film, and the whole audience was really excited when those numbers began. 

The puppetry is very impressive! 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#269HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 9/1/19 at 12:46am

I agree with that review.

Those looking for a polished Disney musical, this ain’t. It’s a Public Works Show.

The goal is community and so they basically do community theatre with big production values and throw in A-List theatre talent beside them. And so, it’s that doing Hercules.

Jelani is so charming and endearing. Bart is solid and would find many more laugh if there was a traditional preview and run. The puppetry is festival puppetry, which feels appropriate. At times, I wanted a more dynamic staging but that’s the limitations of Public Works. One area that also suffered were the Muses. It’s clear the ones that aren’t professionals. They sound great, but some can’t move or act with the same conviction as the others.

It’s adorable and winning. It’s Public Works. It’s free!

Peter872
#270HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 9/1/19 at 1:17am

Could someone with the playbill post the song list?

curiousincident
#271HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 9/1/19 at 1:37am

I posted a song list in the Audience Reviews board, but I'll post it here too

Song List:

"To Be Human (Prologue)"

"The Gospel Truth"

"The Gospel Truth (Reprise 1 - He Ran the Underworld)"

"The Prophecy"

"The Gospel Truth (Reprise 2 - Hades Was Not Amused)"

"The Gospel Truth (Reprise 3 - Young Herc Was Mortal Now)"

"Uniquely Greek Town Square"

"Go the Distance"

"One Last Hope"

"The Gospel Truth (Reprise 4 - Young Herc Was On His Way)"

"Forget About It"

"A Cool Day In Hell"

"Uniquely Greek Tough Town"

"Zero to Hero"

"A Cool Day In Hell (Reprise)"

"One Last Hope (Reprise)/Go The Distance (Reprise)"

"The Gospel Truth (Reprise 5 - Herc Jumped the Garden Wall)"

"I Won't Say (I'm in Love)"

"Great Bolts of Thunder"

"To Be Human"

"A Star Is Born"

OffOnBwayHi
#272HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 9/1/19 at 6:28am

Edit

Updated On: 9/1/19 at 06:28 AM

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#273HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 9/1/19 at 11:51am

For those of you who entered the in person stand-by lottery, what time did you show up? I am thinking of trying this on Saturday. Did you sign up and then wait around, or did you leave and come back at 7:00 for the drawing?

How are seats assigned? I have never been to the Delacorte, so was wondering what the views are like.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#274HERCULES to Play the Public Theatre this summer!!
Posted: 9/1/19 at 12:04pm

NYfanfromCA said: "For those of you who entered the in person stand-by lottery, what time did you show up? I am thinking of trying this on Saturday. Did you sign up and then wait around, or did you leave and come back at 7:00 for the drawing?

How are seats assigned? I have never been to the Delacorte, so was wondering what the views are like.
"

I showed up around 6:00, entered, then left to get dinner, and got back around 6:55. They told us the drawing would start at 7:10 (rather than the 7:30 that was originally stated on the Public website) - and they did start right at 7:10, even though everyone was already gathered in anticipation at 7:00 :) . 

Like all Delacorte distributions, the seating is random. Winning earlier in the drawing does not mean getting a better seat. The only thing they do tell you is whether or not the seats will be together. After they gave away the pairs, they told us going forward that the seats would not be together (but you could still get two if you won). Later, I think they got more pairs in. 

There are no bad seats in the Delacorte! 

Updated On: 9/1/19 at 12:04 PM

Latest Posts