Posted: 6/18/19 at 12:48pm

Just booked my tickets.

Two premium seats  (well it is Sondheim)  £300

:)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/18/19 at 1:32pm

SmoothLover said: "The directing was a little clunky at City Center but perhaps it improved at the Hudson."

The direction and staging were much improved for Broadway. The thrilling chromolume sequence is also a big highlight. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#27Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/18/19 at 1:36pm

I do wonder if they'll change the chromolume.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#28Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/18/19 at 3:33pm

From what I saw the chromolume was breathtaking. Why would they change it?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#29Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/19/19 at 3:45am

Jordan Catalano said: "I agree that I thought Ashford was completely miscast in this role and don’t understand the praise she received. "

Indeed. I’m a little sad they continued with her. That’s the best they could do? I’ll give her act 2, fine. But that act 1. Meh. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#30Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/19/19 at 7:10am

I’m shocked to hear negative things about Ashford, I thought she was remarkable and held her own against Gyllenhaal’s powerful performance.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#31Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/19/19 at 11:06am

Jordan Catalano said: "I agree that I thought Ashford was completely miscast in this role and don’t understand the praise she received. "

Did you see it on Broadway? I saw it at City Center and really disliked it so I didn’t bother seeing it again after it transferred.

carnzee
#32Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/19/19 at 3:10pm

I saw it near the end of the run, and I was surprised to find that Ashford impressed me even more than Gyllenhaal, who I thought was perfect.

Jake is picky about costars ( he wouldn't do Burn This without Ruth Wilson) and I bet his involvement in London was contingent on Ashford continuing with it. They clearly have amazing chemistry in the interviews I've seen of the two of them.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#33Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/19/19 at 10:14pm

I didn't get to see the production either on Broadway or City Center, because I was stupid and poor, but I think Ashford sounds really good on the cast recording.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#34Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/19/19 at 10:31pm

TotallyEffed said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I agree that I thought Ashford was completely miscast in this role and don’t understand the praise she received. "

Did you see it on Broadway? I saw it at City Center and really disliked it so I didn’t bother seeing it again after it transferred.
"

I saw it both places and was just confused as to why she continued on with the production and even more confused now. 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#35Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/20/19 at 1:22am

I saw it both at City Center and Hudson and couldn’t imagine how this production would hold up without her.

AngusN
#36Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/21/19 at 1:24am

As others have stated, I too thought Ashford was terribly miscast. It’s such a shame they didn’t find a more suitable Dot.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#37Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/22/19 at 1:35pm

Valentina3 said: "I didn't get to see the production either on Broadway or City Center, because I was stupid and poor, but I think Ashford sounds really good on the cast recording."

She does and she did. And of course I perhaps am the hardest to please because we are talking about probably Bernadette’s strongest and most iconic performance. But for me I thought we needed a leading lady with a truly unique voice that could bring something new to the role. Between Bernadette Peters and Jenna Russel - I just can’t see any reason to fall in love with Ashford’s act one performance/Dot. I will concede her Marie was funny, touching/heartfelt - maybe even perfect. Maybe at least as good as Bernadette’s, maybe even better. But I wanted more from her Dot. I can think of half a dozen people I’d rather see as Dot: Carmen Cusak, Audra, Kelli O’Hara, Patina Miller (might not scream type), Katrina Lenk. This is an iconic Sondheim musical with an iconic role and a very high profile leading man. Instead of an iconic revival performance in Dot we got a serviceable performance. I personally don’t think that’s good enough for the best musical theatre region of the best musical composer in the world. I think the main issue is the commodity of her vocal timbre, perhaps. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/22/19 at 01:35 PM

Alex Kulak2
#38Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/22/19 at 1:47pm

Is Gyllenhaal performing Sunday or Park?

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#39Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 6/23/19 at 5:55am

ljay889 said: "SmoothLover said: "The directing was a little clunky at City Center but perhaps it improved at the Hudson."

The direction and staging weremuch improved for Broadway. The thrilling chromolume sequence is also a big highlight.
"

I assumed so. At City Center they used a raised platform that was too small, so the actors were cramped and they were running into one another during the ensemble sequences. They also sat on the outskirts of the stage watching scene work that they were not in which I felt did not work and was unnecessary. Quite honestly I think there was so much focus on Jake because one wondered if he could pull it off which he did. I imagine too that by the time it got to Broadway the emotional core had probably deepened. 

lachri5
#40Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 4/20/20 at 1:09am

The West End theatres are closed until May 31st. Sunday was supposed to start preview on June 5th. Obviously the cast need to rehearse, the set needs to be built. Is it safe to say this is definitely going to be postponed if not canceled? I have tickets for one of the last performances in September. It doesn't seem like I'll be able to see it.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#41Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 4/20/20 at 4:07am

I bought 5 tickets for the production. I currently live in Japan, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to or feel safe to fly to London amid the outbreak. If this production is not going to happen, I wish they could refund me as soon as possible, which would amount to roughly 800 usd and can really come in handy in a time like this. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#42Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 4/20/20 at 10:05am

I have tickets for multiple performances in June which obviously aren’t going to happen. I’m praying this is moved to a later date.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#43Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 4/20/20 at 10:13am

I have tickets for the performance two months from today. There is no way I am willing to risk traveling this soon, especially overseas, so I am hoping, too, for a postponement or cancellation. You can assume this was all planned with Jake's busy schedule in mind, but we'll see what happens as they look towards the prospects of moving or cancelling the show with the uncertainty of the situation.

Dollypop
#44Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 4/20/20 at 10:16am

Was planning a trip to London to see Jake in SUNDAY, Charlie Stemp in MARY POPPINS and several performances of HELLO, DOLLY!. All of that's up in the air right now due to the virus.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 4/20/20 at 10:16 AM

schubox
#45Gyllenhaal and Ashford to lead West End SUNDAY/PARK in 2020
Posted: 4/20/20 at 12:25pm

I was headed to London in August/September and this was one of the main reasons why. I am hoping they just push this instead of canceling it.