pixeltracker

COMPANY starring Katrina Lenk and Patti LuPone will open March 22 - Page 11

COMPANY starring Katrina Lenk and Patti LuPone will open March 22

nasty_khakis
#250COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/19/19 at 11:17am

I think the allure of the word-of-mouth "oh, ya gotta see this British gal! She's so good they had to bring her over!" is more appealing to the people who would buy full price tickets than those theatre lovers (who almost always use discounts/tdf/tkts) who would love to see Stephanie J Block. Not saying that alone would sell the show, but the addition of Patti helps.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#251COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/19/19 at 11:23am

Well, my point is that I don't think the word of mouth once Craig starts performing the role in New York would be positive. I think people will be disappointed by her, much as American audiences didn't get Elena Roger in EVITA.  People will complain about Craig's tiny, thin voice for sure.

However, the producers (who obviously love Craig) know that Brantley has already given her a good review and would likely stand by his comments for NYC, as he seemingly always does when he re-reviews a performance.   With a Stephanie Block in the part you risk that she won't sell tickets and that Brantley will think she's inferior to the performance he already raved about in the UK.

But again this is all hypothetical. I'd love to see an American girl get the part.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#252COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/23/19 at 9:10am

Any news on this?

scampsweep
#253COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/23/19 at 11:01am

Any speculation as to which month this will open (or even start previewing)? If rehearsals begin in January (as has already been mentioned), then this would suggest a March/early April previewing period, wouldn’t it?

ImaginaryManticore
#254COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/23/19 at 5:51pm

Personally I'd be surprised if Patti is the only one of the West End cast to transfer, since she took a lot of opportunities to praise her experience in London and the cast, especially Rosalie Craig. The two of them felt like a pair and always walked off the stage together after the ovation. Rosalie Craig's also in an unusual position because it's almost like she originated a new role. Sondheim agreed to let the production go ahead after seeing the workshop with Rosalie.

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#255COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/24/19 at 5:53am

I loved Rosalie when I saw her. Best Bobby I’ve seen. If she’s replaced, her replacement will have some very big shoes to fill.

nasty_khakis
#256COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/24/19 at 10:50am

Obviously this isn't that reliable and probably changes daily on the whims of the actor/equity/producers/etc but I've had a few actor friends (various ages/types/sexes) tell me they've gone in for it and essentially told it's just for a cover because "the British actor/actress is coming over." 

bekk99 Profile Photo
bekk99
#257COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/24/19 at 5:00pm

Well...

https://people.com/parents/anne-hathaway-pregnant-expecting-second-child-infertility/

binau Profile Photo
binau
#258COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/24/19 at 5:02pm

That pretty much puts that rumour to bed. No pun intended.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#260COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/24/19 at 5:30pm

She should be well healed by the spring.
She had the other hip done between War paint and Company in London.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#261COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/24/19 at 5:46pm

I’d love Rosalie! Wonder if this means Johnathan Bailey as well. Great news if that’s the case however

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#262COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/24/19 at 11:46pm

Aren’t hip and knee replacements both fairly quick recoveries, surprisingly?

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#263COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/25/19 at 7:33am

I think they aren't long recoveries, no. Seems like she had the other one replaced before Company in the West End so she's used to getting a hip replaced before performing in this role 

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#264COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/25/19 at 8:20am

She said that the recovery was tough (which is a common complaint from hip replacement patients), but she obviously recovered fine and would have a similar length of time to recover from this one as she did from the first one. Plus I think the first one was more overdue than this one, which could have made recovery tougher. She’s not a young patient, but she’s so active that she should be fine.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

astorian_ofthe_heart
#265COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/25/19 at 1:40pm

Hip replacement surgery is definitely a faster recovery than knee surgery, in most cases. Also, Hospital for Special Surgery is the best in the world at what it does, and they usually want you up and moving as fast as possible post-op. I think she'll be more than fine come spring. Super happy for her!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#266COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/25/19 at 5:35pm

Well, my point is that I don't think the word of mouth once Craig starts performing the role in New York would be positive. I think people will be disappointed by her, much as American audiences didn't get Elena Roger in EVITA.  People will complain about Craig's tiny, thin voice for sure.

This American saw her in the production and loved her.  I didn't find her voice tiny or thin.  On stage, she was a knockout.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#267COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/25/19 at 5:42pm

I agree with Mister Matt. Rosalie was fantastic!

pointilismlight
#268COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 7/29/19 at 2:39pm

I have a friend who works for one of the big talent agencies and confirmed that a number of their clients have been called in for various roles.   The Stephanie J Block thing is just a rumor - her name was tossed around but no offer went out and she never auditioned.  Basically every actress on Broadway has had their name in the mix but it is mostly just discussions.  Marianne Elliot is in town for auditions looking for Bobbie's but it sounds like they didn't find anyone so don't be surprised if it is Rosalie.

Hamilfan2
#269COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/1/19 at 10:50am

I heard last night that Brandon Uranowitz is currently the top pick to play Jamie (genderbent version of Amy) for the Broadway production. Not sure if there has been an offer extended or if it’s just talks at this point.

luisacontini
#270COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/1/19 at 11:30am

Hamilfan2 said: "I heard last night that Brandon Uranowitz is currently the top pick to play Jamie (genderbent version of Amy) for the Broadway production. Not sure if there has been an offer extended or if it’s just talks at this point."

It's not Brandon. They have their Bobbie and Jamie. I don't believe they've been mentioned on this thread yet.

Stephen75
#271COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/1/19 at 12:05pm

Heard from a source it’s Michelle Williams for Bobbie.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#272COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/1/19 at 12:07pm

givesmevoice said: "She said that the recovery was tough (which is a common complaint from hip replacement patients), but she obviously recovered fine and would have a similar length of time to recover from this one as she did from the first one. Plus I think the first one was more overdue than this one, which could have made recovery tougher. She’s not a young patient, but she’s so active that she should be fine."

I haven't read this thread in its totality... but as far as Lupone.. they just announced some cabaret engagements in Los Angeles starting in March.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

luisacontini
#273COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/1/19 at 12:39pm

Stephen75 said: "Heard from a source it’s Michelle Williams for Bobbie."

Nope.

Stephen75
#274COMPANY eyeing a spring 2020 transfer at a Shubert theater
Posted: 8/1/19 at 12:53pm

Suppose it could be wrong, but At the very least, she’s in contention.