Dream Jukebox Musical

Enjolras5 Profile Photo
Enjolras5
#25Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/25/19 at 3:59pm

I would like to see Fleetwood Mac or Billy Joel, as others have said.

However, I also think the movie "Judy" could be turned into an interesting bio musical.  It basically already exists in film format (multiple songs in the movie), now they just have to adapt it to the stage.  Did they already do this with Paper Mill's "Chasing Rainbows?"  Not sure what that was about other than it was a Judy Garland musical.

~E

Enjolras5 Profile Photo
Enjolras5
#26Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/25/19 at 4:01pm

Also hi Molly it's Tessa :) . Didn't realize it was you that started this thread and it made me happy seeing you on here!

~E

Jarethan
#27Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/25/19 at 4:06pm

I guess it depends on whether you are talking about the juke box musical (JBM) that is about a real person (and includes their songs) or a juke box musical, a la Mamma Mia, that employs the songs of a specific composer with a manufactured plot; or a Moulin Rouge wanna be.  

While I loved Mamma Mia and especially Moulin Rouge, I personally would prefer a well-done musical about a specific person, incorporating a better book than we usually get.  IMO, a JBM based on the work of a single composer that is not about the composer runs the risk of trying to find a plausible story to wrap around the songs.  To my recollection, it has rarely been successful.  Is there any example besides Mamma Mia, which IMO was such a big hit because of the sheer joyousness of the music (especially considering when it originally opened) and the perfect trivial plot to support the bubble-gum Abba music (which I generally love),

One of the reasons MR is so successful (at least to me) is that it has a show biz setting, which means that most of the songs do not actually have to do anything with the underlying story.  I probably feel that shows employing many composers' work would need to be a show-biz story or an out and out revue (and we know how successful those have been since the 80s) to be successful.

I am sure that people will groan when they see this, but how about a musical about:

-- Judy Garland

-- Al Jolson

-- Frank Sinatra

-- Nat King Cole (there could be some real drama in that one)

-- A musical about all the challenges Lena Horne faced on the way to legend.

It might be possible to craft a bubble-gummy story around Cindy Lauper many of which have the joyousness of the Abba songs.

I do not think a musical based on Judy Collins songs or Joni Mitchell songs would have broad appeal, and that they would be better off in perhaps a large off-Broadway house.  Shoot me, but I have always felt there is a certain amount of sameness in their respective songs.

MollyJeanneMusic
#28Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/25/19 at 4:12pm

Enjolras5 said: "Also hi Molly it's Tessa :) . Didn't realize it was you that started this thread and it made me happy seeing you on here!"

Hey Tessa!  So good to see you, too! 

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#29Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/25/19 at 10:00pm

Diana Ross from 1970 - present, once she went solo.

Sammy Davis, Jr. too! 

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#30Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/25/19 at 10:36pm

I think Kate Bush's catalogue has potential for an original narrative. I mean, The Line, The Cross, and The Curve was a short musical adaptation of The Red Shoes fairy tale using her album The Red Shoes as inspiration. It was mostly a coherent narrative (minus the fruit scene, which was still awesome) and Bush's music is always written with dance in mind, even the ballads. 

Spinhack
#31Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/25/19 at 11:02pm

It’s not super well known but the album Ever After by Mariana’s Trench could translate into an awesome stage show

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#32Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 12:11am

trentsketch said: "I think Kate Bush's catalogue has potential for an original narrative. I mean, The Line, The Cross, and The Curve was a short musical adaptation of The Red Shoes fairy tale using her album The Red Shoes as inspiration. Itwas mostly a coherent narrative (minus the fruit scene, which was still awesome) and Bush's music is always written with dance in mind, even the ballads."

Not a bad idea. I would run up a hill to see it <--- See what I did there?!

First to come to my mind is the music of Annie Lennox.

Just give the world Love.

Theatrefanboy1
#33Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 12:28am

Ahmy said: "I'd love to see one about Celine Dion.."

Me too.   And apparently there is something in the works for a musical. From one of the former Cirque creatives.  He joined her team back a couple years ago.  But I think it could be quite interesting.  Especially if done in her quirky style.  Almost like a rocket man   But it could be touching as well 

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#34Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 1:21am

PRINCE ... or heck, just flip Purple Rain into a musical

Since the age of 14 at the time of their debut album, I have been a devoted Smiths and Morrissey fan. So yeah ... I would like a Morrissey musical.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#35Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 8:30am

Backstreet Boys.

TrulyOutrageousJem Profile Photo
TrulyOutrageousJem
#36Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 9:25am

I'm admittedly a fan of camp and pop music. So my taste in this arena is gonna be pretty awful to some. But I'm also the target market for jukebox musicals because I love a good uptempo dance number and frivolous fun.

I'd love to see jukebox musicals using the works of:

Debbie Gibson

Madonna

Britney Spears (what ever happened to that musical? I thought the idea sounded quite good)

Kesha (I know, but seriously ... Her songs are pretty story like and I think there'd be a LOT of fun in "$leazy! The Ke$ha Musical)

Spice Girls (Justice for Viva Forever!)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#37Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 9:35am

I am sure that people will groan when they see this, but how about a musical about:

-- Judy Garland

-- Al Jolson

The musical Jolson won the Olivier award for Best New Musical in 1996.

I would love to see My Best Friend's Wedding using songs from the film soundtrack.

To my recollection, it has rarely been successful.  Is there any example besides Mamma Mia, which IMO was such a big hit because of the sheer joyousness of the music (especially considering when it originally opened) and the perfect trivial plot to support the bubble-gum Abba music (which I generally love),

Though it was a flop in the US, We Will Rock You ran for 12 years in the West End and has had countless international productions and tours.  And though it's slightly little different than what you describe, & Juliet appears to have the makings of a huge hit in London, featuring song by Max Martin, a pop songwriter known for dozens of hit songs performed by numerous famous pop artists and acts.  At any rate, Chicago is set to premiere the new JBM featuring the songs of Britney Spears to an original story, Once Upon a One More Time.  It's been delayed once already, so I'm curious to see what happens next.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

gibsons2
#38Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 1:42pm

Musical about Madonna would be my dream jukebox. Can't think of an actress for a role like this, mostly because Madonna went through so many different styles and images over her career span. I can only dream....

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#39Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 1:56pm

gibsons2 said: "Musical about Madonna would be my dream jukebox. Can't think of an actress for a role like this, mostly because Madonna went through so many different styles and images over her career span. I can only dream...."

As long as it's called "Bitch... I'm Madonna!", I'm in.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BroadwayAndSports
#40Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 2:54pm

With all the hits Max Martin has written, I wanna see a musical with his music. He's basically the Motown of the last 25 years. Ranging from Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears to Pink and Ariana Grande. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#41Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 4:06pm

^
It's called "& Juliet" and it just received rave reviews in London.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#42Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 7:15pm

I'm happy you guys all think the words "dream Jukebox Musical" inspire such flights of happy fancy. Enjoy!

For me a "dream jukebox musical" is a contradiction in terms; I've seen loads, and I have yet to see one work any better than a cruise ship show. (Okay, the SINGLE exception I actually enjoyed was AMERICAN IDIOT.)

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#43Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 7:28pm

Alice Cooper would work well, because his music is theatrical and focused on character and storytelling; plus, he has recurring characters and themes woven through his entire discography and has done a fair number of plot-centric concept albums.

RW3
#44Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 8:29pm

1-For those who are interested, the Britney Spears musical ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME is scheduled for its Chicago run April 14-May 17, 2020.

2-My dream jukebox musical would be an adaptation of A STAR IS BORN using the music from the 1954, 1976, and 2018 versions. The finale song would be 'I'll Never Love Again'.

ditsylife09
#45Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 8:59pm

A Wildhorn/Linda Eder catalogue musical surrounding the whereabouts of the song "Vienna" set to the plot of A Little Night Music. Have made a plot outline, listen to my "cast recording" often.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#46Dream Jukebox Musical
Posted: 11/26/19 at 8:59pm

I'm trying to think of one that I'd personally like to see but I think maybe American Idiot or Bat Out of Hell might have been it if those count as jukebox musicals. The dream, of course, would be that Bat Out of Hell had a better book.