pixeltracker

Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees- Page 2

Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#25Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 10/22/19 at 10:42pm

I get your point. I do love Hyatt (although I don’t love these new tiers), but my company tends to book exclusively with Hilton; although I am free to book with any hotel chain, it’s easier if I’m staying at same hotel as my co-workers. But the real drawback is the one you mention. I mainly work in smaller towns that don’t have Hyatts. And I prefer Hiltons over Marriotts. I actually like the Hilton rewards program overall.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#26Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 10/22/19 at 11:03pm

Here's a link to a TripAdvisor forum thread that lists all NY hotels that do and do not charge resort fees:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k12395870-182_Manhattan_hotels_charging_resort_fees_204_that_do_not-New_York_City_New_York.html

Susanswerphone Profile Photo
Susanswerphone
#27Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 10/23/19 at 2:15am

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "I shall continue to recommend the Pod hotels. Book direct and you'll see what you pay. Tiny rooms, but great locations and very clean. Pod Times Square is my go-to hotel every visit.

https://www.thepodhotel.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0brtBRDOARIsANMDykZ0SPb6vvhmkEmMQltiokB5qsXFXiUDae-b_o-8cxzV31od0YFBi0gaAhImEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
"

Pods are nice, for sure. But they DO charge the unwanted fee to which the OP referred. In their case it's called a "facility fee", $22.95 per day in addition to the nightly rate.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#28Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 10/23/19 at 8:22am

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "I shall continue to recommend the Pod hotels. Book direct and you'll see what you pay. Tiny rooms, but great locations and very clean. Pod Times Square is my go-to hotel every visit.

https://www.thepodhotel.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0brtBRDOARIsANMDykZ0SPb6vvhmkEmMQltiokB5qsXFXiUDae-b_o-8cxzV31od0YFBi0gaAhImEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
"

I love the pod hotels, stayed at one back in 2013

but now, the same time square one. you go online and it tells you $422. for the 6 nights and when you go checkout they add on the 'fees' and it comes to $600 something

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#29Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 10/23/19 at 10:43am

cryan71 said: "I think all the Marriott brand hotels in Manhattan have resort fees now."

To be clear, this may be true of actual "Marriott" properties, but it is not necessarily true of others now under the Marriott umbrella, such as the Starwood properties noted in my original response to the OP at the beginning of this thread.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#30Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 10/23/19 at 10:55pm

"

The Pod Hotel charged me a $20 resort fee each day when I stayed last weekend. Every time I book there they charge the resort fee for each day I’m there- and I’ve stayed there at least five times since last summer. I’ve asked them to waive the fee each time but they won’t. Said it covers the “ free WiFi “ service which doesn’t make it free. 

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#31Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 10/24/19 at 12:34am

Thanks for clarifying the Pod fees.   I still believe that the Pod hotels are one of the best deals in town the majority of the time.   So near and yet so far from "Times Square" proper [turistas].

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#32Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 10/24/19 at 7:55pm

Sho-Tunes-R-Us said: "Thanks for clarifying the Pod fees. I still believe that the Pod hotels are one of the best deals in town the majority of the time. So near and yet so far from "Times Square" proper [turistas]."

I agree. For the location, so close to Port Authority (I come in on the bus) and location to the theaters / restaurants and other interests of mine - it can't be beat. The prices vary depending on the season or the day I'm booking. It would be so nice if the 'free services' they offer were truly free - and not charged by 'resort fees'.

It would be even nicer if their employees were trained not to tell the guests the 'free wifi is paid for by the resort fees'. Make up some other excuse for resort fees, but don't tell guests the free services aren't free.

BTW, I read on a travel site this summer to ask the hotel to charge your resort fees separate from the rest of the bill. .On the separate bill it will say 'resort fees' - and the charges. Pay that bill with the same credit card for the rest of your stay (the other hotel bill) - just keep the resort fees separate.  When your CC statement comes in, call and complain about the additional charges - and explain you weren't staying at a resort, and you don't want to pay for services which were promised as free to you.  

I think I will try it next time (I use my Chase card) and see what happens. 

UncleCharlie
#33Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 10/24/19 at 8:15pm

David10086 said: "I agree. For the location, so close to Port Authority (I come in on the bus) and location to the theaters / restaurants and other interests of mine - it can't be beat. The prices vary depending on the season or the day I'm booking. It would be so nice if the 'free services' they offer were truly free - and not charged by 'resort fees'.

It would be even nicer if their employees were trained not to tell the guests the 'free wifi is paid for by the resort fees'. Make up some other excuse for resort fees, but don't tell guests the free services aren't free.

BTW, I read on a travel site this summer to ask the hotel to charge your resort fees separate from the rest of the bill. .On the separate bill it will say 'resort fees' - and the charges. Pay that bill with the same credit card for the rest of your stay (the other hotel bill) - just keep the resort fees separate. When your CC statement comes in, call and complain about the additional charges - and explain you weren't staying at a resort, and you don't want to pay for services which were promised as free to you.

I think I will try it next time (I use my Chase card) and see what happens.
"

A credit card company will go to bat for you if there was fraud involved, your card was stolen or someone else used it to make a charge without your knowledge, you did not receive the goods or services promised or you were charged more than what you agreed to pay. Chase doesn't care that it's not what most people would consider a "resort" or how you manipulate the wording of how the wifi charge was described to you. You gave them your credit card and agreed to be held responsible for that charge. You were made aware of it, knew what it was for and agreed to pay it. You could have refused to pay it at the time and walked out but you didn't. They will also be able to see that you've stayed there a number of times before and paid that fee before and you willingly returned knowing you would be charged that fee and that they would not waive it. Pretty sure you've got no legal leg to stand on, but knock yourself out and try if you want.

Updated On: 10/24/19 at 08:15 PM

theater245
#34Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/17/20 at 5:52pm

I am shocked at how many more hotels now charge resort fees even compared to fall of last year when this thread started. Today, I can't even FIND a hotel that DOESN'T charge resort fees in NYC. Can anyone give me some advice on which hotels' fees include generous food/drink credit? I figure if resort fees are increasingly unavoidable, I might as well get a meal out of it.

jbird5
#35Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/17/20 at 6:11pm

theater245 said: "I am shocked at how many more hotels now charge resort fees even compared to fall of last year when this thread started. Today, I can't even FIND ahotelthat DOESN'T charge resort fees in NYC.Can anyonegive me some advice on which hotels' fees includegenerous food/drink credit? I figure if resort fees are increasingly unavoidable, I might as well get a meal out of it."

The Maxwell (a Marriott property) has a $25 fee but gives you $30 in food/drink credits.  I didn’t take advantage of it but there was a long line for breakfast when I checked out.

edit - I checked the site and it says bar credit, but I believe it includes food.  Still better than nothing.  I’ve started using the Hotel Tonight app to book.  You get some good deals plus they disclose if there’s a fee and how much.

Updated On: 2/17/20 at 06:11 PM

Hairspray0901
#36Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/17/20 at 6:15pm

theater245 said: "I am shocked at how many more hotels now charge resort fees even compared to fall of last year when this thread started. Today, I can't even FIND ahotelthat DOESN'T charge resort fees in NYC.Can anyonegive me some advice on which hotels' fees includegenerous food/drink credit? I figure if resort fees are increasingly unavoidable, I might as well get a meal out of it."

I'm doing a mini-trip at the end of February and I was having such a hard time finding a hotel without a fee! I believe the Marriott at Hudson Yards doesn't charge one (yet). I booked with them and didnt see anything about a fee so fingers crossed!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#37Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/17/20 at 6:17pm

That link above from TripAdvisor has been pretty reliable. Also, I have found most Hilton hotels usually don’t charge a resort fee although it’s always wise to check ahead of time. I know when I was staying at the Hilton in Brooklyn Sept - Oct that they started charging resort fees in the middle of my stay (which I talked them out of) so it’s possible that they will start charging more and more at Hilton Hotels as that’s what they indicated at the Brooklyn Hilton. I I’m currently staying at the Millennium Hilton downtown and they don’t charge a resort fee.

Dollypop
#38Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/17/20 at 7:02pm

Have you ever considered Airbnb? I've had very nice experiences with them in Boston and Milwaukee. I'm booked at another Airbnb in Philadelphia next week when I do some serious Dolly-popping there.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

theater245
#39Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/17/20 at 7:32pm

Miles2Go2 said: "That link above from TripAdvisor has been pretty reliable. Also, I have found most Hilton hotels usually don’t charge a resort fee although it’s always wise to check ahead of time. I know when I was staying at the Hilton in Brooklyn Sept - Oct that they started charging resort fees in the middle of my stay (which I talked them out of) so it’s possible that they will start charging more and more at Hilton Hotels as that’s what they indicated at the Brooklyn Hilton. I I’m currently staying at the Millennium Hilton downtown and they don’t charge a resort fee."

Ahh thanks for pointing my attention to that link! Definitely a great resource I missed!

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#40Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/17/20 at 9:25pm

Miles2Go2 said: "That link above from TripAdvisor has been pretty reliable. Also, I have found most Hilton hotels usually don’t charge a resort fee although it’s always wise to check ahead of time. I know when I was staying at the Hilton in Brooklyn Sept - Oct that they started charging resort fees in the middle of my stay (which I talked them out of) so it’s possible that they will start charging more and more at Hilton Hotels as that’s what they indicated at the Brooklyn Hilton. I I’m currently staying at the Millennium Hilton downtown and they don’t charge a resort fee."

I used to stay at the Millennium in Times Square until they started charging resort fees ( they were one of the first). Then I switched to the Pod on 42nd and after my first two visits they started with resort fees. No escaping them! 

bwaybffs
#41Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/17/20 at 9:28pm

scampsweep said: "Please can anyone suggest good hotels in midtown/ Times Square sort of area that do not charge resort/ amenity fees? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks "

GROUPON GROUPON GROUPON. I stay at the Wellington on 56th street and it's amazing. It's a pain to walk back at night because I'm lazy but can't beat the location for the price! 

Follow us on Instagram: @bwaybffs!

sethepstein12
#42Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/17/20 at 11:19pm

Dollypop said: "Have you ever considered Airbnb? I've had very nice experiences with them in Boston and Milwaukee. I'm booked at another Airbnb in Philadelphia next week when I do some serious Dolly-popping there."

How many times will you be seeing it?

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#43Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/17/20 at 11:38pm

I've been staying at the CitizenM on my last few trips (at 50th/Broadway), and I don't believe they charge a resort fee.  Love that place. 

mikey2573
#44Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/18/20 at 9:07am

I go to NYC quite a bit.  I always book through hotels.com and I have never paid a resort fee.  Right now here are some of the bookings available this week:

Radisson Times Square $143 a night.

Paramount Times Sq.  $92

The Belvedere $132

Hilton Garden Inn $137

Embassy Suites by Hilton $159 

The Knickerbocker Hotel $219

No mention of resort fees at all for any of these properties. 

mailhandler777
#45Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/18/20 at 9:35am

I stay at the LIC hotel in Queens. No fee there and free breakfast. 7 minute subway ride from times square on the E. 10 minutes if you have to take the 7.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

yyys
#46Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/18/20 at 10:46am

any Hilton Garden Inn hotels...they don't charge resort fees.

LexiGirl Profile Photo
LexiGirl
#47Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/18/20 at 11:33am

I’ve been staying at The Warwick at 54th and 6th Ave. I joined their membership program, and so far they haven’t charged me facility fees as long as I select the member price. It’s not a benefit they seem to be advertising, but that’s working for me right now. I was looking for hotels for my upcoming April trip and noticed Paramount currently has a Solo Traveler Package special offer where they are waiving the facility fees for a petite room, but it still only ends up being about $20 less per day than The Warwick member price, so I’m trying to decide whether to just be more comfortable in the bigger Warwick room or pay a little less and be near the shows I’m seeing.

220Basswood
#48Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/18/20 at 1:14pm

mikey2573 said: "I go to NYC quite a bit. I always book through hotels.com and I have never paid a resort fee. Right now here are some of the bookings available this week:

Radisson Times Square $143 a night.

Paramount Times Sq. $92

The Belvedere $132

Hilton Garden Inn $137

Embassy Suites by Hilton $159

The Knickerbocker Hotel $219

No mention of resort fees at all for any of these properties.
"

I can't speak to the other properties but the Paramount does charge a fee.  if you book through a place like Orbitz, Hotels.com or Booking.com it will be listed as a fee paid to the hotel directly or a destination fee.  If you book directly on Paramount's website it is called the "facility fee" and appears on the checkout page.  Here is what the facility fee includes.  I have cut and pasted from the hotel's website.

The Paramount Hotel has a mandatory Facilities Fee of $35 plus tax per room, per night, providing guests with the following inclusive services, amenities and added value offerings:

• WiFi access in public areas and guestrooms for unlimited devices
• 24/7 access to the Fitness Center located on the 2nd floor
• Paramount Pass, offering a variety of discounts to restaurants, cafes, and attractions
• All local, long distance, and international phone calls
• Internet access and printing services at the Business Center
• Unlimited access to filtered hot and cold water
• STAYCAST™ in-room streaming from your personal device. Ability to cast Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, etc from your phone to your TV.
• 15% off all food and beverage at Paramount Café & Bar by showing your room key
• 10% off all Hamilton merchandise

*The Facilities Fee does not include service gratuity

Dollypop
#49Broadway trip - Times Square/midtown hotels with no resort fees
Posted: 2/18/20 at 3:01pm

sethepstein12 said: "Dollypop said: "Have you ever considered Airbnb? I've had very nice experiences with them in Boston and Milwaukee. I'm booked at another Airbnb in Philadelphia next week when I do some serious Dolly-popping there."Four

How many times will you be seeing it?
"

Four. That will bring me up to 98 times. I'm saving numbers 99 and 100 for a time when my grandchildren can join me.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)