SIX - Preview Thread

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#175SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/21/20 at 1:19am

Bringing the topic back to the show itself, saw the show tonight and loved it! My seat was marked partial view but really only missed the drum set! saw everything else! Highly recommend and will 100% be returning! 

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#176SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 10:59am

Saw the show yesterday and thought it was fine, but the biggest standout was Abby Mueller who has lost her voice and still performed. By the end of the show she was whispering her dialogue and speak-singing her lyrics. Really wish an understudy had gone on, which I expect will happen this upcoming week. Two of the other queens were also noticeably vocally tired and holding back.

They seem exhausted - 5 show weekends seem like the wrong move. Really disappointing.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#177SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 12:55pm

I just bought my ticket for March 17th and I am beyond excited.  Can't wait! 

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

showbizkid2
#178SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 5:24pm

Just read the article in Playbill, SIX earnt over a million dollars in its first full week. IT IS A BIG FAT HIT!!! Sooooo excited!!!

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#179SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 5:32pm

VotePeron said: "Saw the show yesterday and thought it was fine, but the biggest standout was Abby Mueller who has lost her voice and still performed. By the end of the show she was whispering her dialogue and speak-singing her lyrics. Really wish an understudy had gone on, which I expect will happen this upcoming week. Two of the other queens were also noticeably vocally tired and holding back.

They seem exhausted - 5 show weekends seem like the wrong move. Really disappointing.
"

Oh that’s too bad! I think they are all quite excited and probably overdoing it a bit. Hopefully they start to care for themselves better once they get into the groove of things. 

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#180SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 5:38pm

Saw it this past Friday and loved it!

And yeah, the audience is rowwwwwdy. I wasn't sure I was actually at a Broadway show; definitely felt like I was at a girl group concert where everyone had to shriek when their favorite queen was in the spotlight. People were dancing in their seats and there was a lot of hand waving and other...gesticulation by those around me. Along with girls singing/mouthing along and a few crying.

But it's staged like a concert, not a play, so...who cares?

LexiGirl Profile Photo
LexiGirl
#181SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 6:02pm

veronicamae said: "And yeah, the audience is rowwwwwdy."

I was planning to go into this one not listening to too much of the cast recording in advance, but now I’m rethinking my plan. I’m afraid I might miss some things if it’s a pretty rowdy audience. I’ve read Alison Weir’s The Six Wives of Henry VIII book, so I know their stories fairly well already, but wanted to go into the music a little blind. I’m going to a Saturday matinee, so was hoping that’s a little more tame.

CatastrophicDay Profile Photo
CatastrophicDay
#182SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 6:44pm

VotePeron said: "Saw the show yesterday and thought it was fine, but the biggest standout was Abby Mueller who has lost her voice and still performed. By the end of the show she was whispering her dialogue and speak-singing her lyrics. Really wish an understudy had gone on, which I expect will happen this upcoming week. Two of the other queens were also noticeably vocally tired and holding back.

"

This kind of report makes me nervous. I'm crazy about this show, I'm planning a group trip in May, I saw it in Boston, I follow the queens on insta.. And I'm very worried that the nearly unrelenting schedule of the past year will lead to a lower quality show, and it won't have the same spark that it did.

Abby was out of one of the pre-Broadway runs, I think for vocal rest or an injury. Britt Mack was on vocal rest during the same run. Andrea was out for a string of shows, I remember Courtney played Boleyn for a bunch of shows. This show seems brutal for performers - they get to leave the stage maybe once, right before Haus of Holbein? Cleves may not leave at all. I wonder/hope that the decision makers are recognizing the toll it's taking, and they have a plan to support everyone so that the show can be its wild, go-for-it self every night. 

After all, this is one show that absolutely loves its alternates! 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#183SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 7:29pm

Interesting to see that Sunday evening is the show with the most available tickets the next several weeks when the Sunday matinees have few tickets. And wasn't it  yesterday's Sunday show that went to TKTS? I guess NYC theatregoers aren't used to Sunday evenings and the tourists are getting out of town?

BwayinVan
#184SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 8:23pm

ggersten said: "Interesting to see that Sunday evening is the show with the most available tickets the next several weeks when the Sunday matinees have few tickets. And wasn't it yesterday's Sunday show that went to TKTS? I guess NYC theatregoers aren't used to Sunday evenings and the tourists are getting out of town?"

I just grabbed a ticket for May 3 in the evening. Got my ticket through audience rewards vip. Row k center orchestra for 6500 points and $74

Jakeevan942
#185SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/24/20 at 8:39pm

"

This is precisely the reason I made sure to see the show the first weekend on previews-it was the best chance of seeing all six principal performers on stage. The show is a marathon, much akin to a contemporary pop concert-but it's rare that a pop concert will ever do two shows in a day, due to the load-in timeline of a massive concert tour. Also, there are often a half-dozen costume change breaks in a 75 minute concert, and and I'm often, there is at least some level of track under the vocal. The girls in Six are singing full-out, and only get about 60 seconds off stage the whole show-about 40 seconds into House of Holbein, and about 20 seconds out of House of Holbein. This also represents about the only water breaks they get during the show.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

hearthemsing22
#186SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 8:35am

Trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet and get a full priced ticket for either the shows right before or after opening, if this does even better with critics and becomes more expensive, or if I should just try my luck with rush the next few weeks...

mtgeek100
#187SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 8:54am

Dolly80 said: "None of them will win a Tony individually- there isn’t enough to the ‘roles’. The only way they could win is if they are collectively nominated, which I don’t think is possible."

They were collectively nominated for the Olivier Awards but I don’t know if the Tony Awards would bend their rules to allow that.

Colin852
#188SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 9:17am

Gotta say, the album reeled me in but don't think it was worth what I paid for. Certainly enjoyable, but would have gotten my money's worth if this was a $50 ticket at some venue downtown...or a 54 Below type set-up.

mtgeek100
#189SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 9:19am

I don’t really think 5 show weekends are fair on performers. 8 show weeks are brutal enough! They started doing that for Waitress the last 6 months or so before it closed and that’s a tough ask for Jenna who is on stage almost the entire show. What’s everyone else’s thoughts

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#190SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 10:22am

mtgeek100 said: "I don’t really think 5 show weekends are fair on performers. 8 show weeks are brutal enough! They started doing that for Waitress the last 6 months or so before it closed and that’s a tough ask for Jenna who is on stage almost the entire show. What’s everyone else’s thoughts "

It’s honestly what I’m used to in Vancouver for the tour casts. They all do 5 show weekends. 

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#191SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 10:25am

I love Sunday evening performances because as a non-NY resident, it's an extra show I can cram into a long weekend. In fact, I'm seeing Six on a Sunday evening in April. I do recognize that five performances in a little over 48 hours is brutal, but I have to say I've never noticed an energy lack or a rash of understudies when I've attended Sunday evenings. I remember particularly marveling at the energy of Book of Mormon at the end of a five-show weekend, particularly that of Andrew Rannells, who has that brutal stretch in Act II with "Spooky Mormon Hell Dream" followed by the physical coffee scene, then the throat-busting "I Believe". It was hard to believe it was the fifth time he'd done it in two days.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

Det95
#192SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 2:41pm

I was at the Sunday 2/23 matinee performance and all I have to say is wow. I went in almost blind. I had only heard Ex-wives prior. This had to be one of the funnest shows I've seen in a while. I really hope they record a cast album with this cast. If they do it would be criminal for it to not be live. I listened to the studio album today for the first time and it pales in comparison to seeing it live. 

LexiGirl Profile Photo
LexiGirl
#193SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 2:45pm

Det95 said: "I was at the Sunday 2/23 matinee performance and all I have to say is wow. I went in almost blind."

Glad to know you went in pretty blind and enjoyed it. I think I’m going to stick to my original plan and avoid listening to the cast album. 

GlenCoco
#194SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 3:01pm

Det95 said: "I was at the Sunday 2/23 matinee performance and all I have to say is wow. I went in almost blind. I had only heard Ex-wives prior. This had to be one of the funnest shows I've seen in a while. I really hope they record a cast album with this cast. If they do it would be criminal for it to not be live. I listened to the studio album today for the first time and itpales in comparison to seeing it live."

Sorry about me and my friend dancing during "Get down"

GlenCoco
#195SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 3:03pm

LexiGirl said: "Det95 said: "I was at the Sunday 2/23 matinee performance and all I have to say is wow. I went in almost blind."

Glad to know you went in pretty blind and enjoyed it. I think I’m going to stick to my original plan and avoid listening to the cast album.
"

This will be hard if you choose to rush the show as the soundtrack plays on a loop outside the theatre

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#196SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 3:11pm

Anyone seeing the show tonight? You’ll be seeing a debut.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#197SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 3:15pm

hmmmm...I wonder who is out..Abby i'm assuming? 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

gibsons2
#198SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 3:18pm

starcatchers said: "Anyone seeing the show tonight? You’ll be seeing a debut."

I am seeing it tonight. Who is debuting and who is being replaced?

I also remembered tonight is a kids night on Broadway and Six was part of the promotion. I guess I can expect the audience to be wild today.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#199SIX - Preview Thread
Posted: 2/25/20 at 3:20pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "hmmmm...I wonder who is out..Abby i'm assuming?"

I’m not sure who she’s on for actually, but Mallory Maedke will be on for someone. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234