Hamilton Movie Reviews

iabwayfan Profile Photo
iabwayfan
#1Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 6/30/20 at 10:11am

Just wondering if anyone was going to rate the reviews for the Hamilton stage movie.  

I always enjoy reading everyone's recaps of the reviews of new shows.  Hamilton Movie Reviews

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#2Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 6/30/20 at 1:58pm

Playbill is gathering reviews as available. Many of the critics had already reviewed the show, so looking at the analysis of the filming and production is interesting.

https://www.playbill.com/article/read-the-reviews-for-the-filmed-version-of-hamilton

I’m in the camp that thinks it looks stunning. I’ve seen 4 companies and various casts of the show, but I’m really interested in seeing the translation to film more then performances. I know those. I want to see angles and color and lighting.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#3Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 6/30/20 at 2:12pm

Considering the number of professional reviews that this film will generate, I think Rotten Tomatoes will have the most organized and comprehensive list.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hamilton_2020

rattleNwoolypenguin
#4Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 6/30/20 at 2:24pm

This is so hilarious that people are reviewing this. It’s a filmed production of a Broadway show what do you want?

It’s gonna be like the filmed version of Into the Woods with Bernadette. It’s gonna be what it is and charming for what it is

It’s not gonna be a movie.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 6/30/20 at 2:32pm

Maybe the audience for the reviews isn't made up of people like us.

Plus, it gives writers something to do.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Ravenclaw
#6Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 6/30/20 at 2:38pm

Interesting how some publications gave this to a theatre critic and others gave it to a film critic. Regardless, the reviews are all glowingly positive.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#7Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 6/30/20 at 2:46pm

I want to know it credible* people think this has genuinely moved forward the experience or technical production of filmed theatre. Or whether it’s just a business as usual filming of a show.

* someone that has watched many filming and isn’t suddenly getting in on this now.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

MollyJeanneMusic
#8Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 6/30/20 at 3:26pm

From what I can tell from the clips they've released, it's going to be somewhere between Newsies and Bandstand in terms of intimacy.  Bandstand had some cool pan shots and closeups, but nothing beyond that.  Newsies had camera angles from above the stage, behind the sets, tons of closeups, but not as much "full stage" action.  I think the major impact with Hamilton won't be necessarily the quality of the recording, but rather the publicity given to a filmed production of a Broadway show that might encourage other shows to do the same.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#9Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 6/30/20 at 3:35pm

I'm a little surprised, considering how far filming sports events has come, thanks both to HD and I assume drones, that recordings of stage performances (and this includes opera and ballet) haven't improved. There was a giant leap with the recordings of Sweeney Todd and SITPWG, but not much development since then. We're talking close to forty years.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#10Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 6/30/20 at 5:27pm

joevitus said: "I'm a little surprised, considering how far filming sports events has come, thanks both to HD and I assume drones, that recordings of stage performances (and this includes opera and ballet) haven't improved. There was a giant leap with the recordings of Sweeney Todd and SITPWG, but not much development since then. We're talking close to forty years."

I've heard it was the incredible amount of light needed to film in a dark theater. The light to get that perfect 4K look would cause a lot of heat and distraction to the performers.

In Europe they used to close the theaters and film without an audience to get the lighting just so, but that's another tradeoff.

Fosse76
#11Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 6/30/20 at 9:46pm

I'm not sure I understand the complaints. None of the recent filmings look even remotely like the older recordings of Sweeney Todd, or even Company.

Ravenclaw
#12Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 6/30/20 at 10:55pm

It only just occurred to me... will this be eligible for Emmy Awards? I know it wouldn't be eligible until next year if it is, but by premiering on the streaming platform, could they pick up awards in the TV Movie categories, like Jesus Christ Superstar Live did? I'm not familiar with all the rules.

bear88
#13Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 6/30/20 at 11:08pm

Isn't it a film, just like everything else intended for movie theaters but released so people can watch on television would be? If it's eligible for any awards, wouldn't it be up against other films, not TV specials?

Fosse76
#14Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 7/1/20 at 3:00am

bear88 said: "Isn't it a film, just like everything else intended for movie theaters but released so people can watch on television would be? If it's eligible for any awards, wouldn't it be up against other films, not TV specials?"

I'm not sure about the Golden Globes or other awards shows, but the Academy Awards requires a theatrical release. The Emmy's don't have any equivalent requirement.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#15Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 7/1/20 at 3:19am

Well the Academy has temporarily lifted the rule requiring a theatrical release as long as the film had a theatrical release planned and is made available on the Academy screening app within 60 days of being released on VOD.

https://www.oscars.org/news/awards-rules-and-campaign-regulations-approved-93rd-oscarsr

That being said, I can’t imagine this would get recognition from any film awards. Maybe they’ll try to campaign for the Emmys, but I think the previously planned theatrical run would muddy that up. Oh well, Hamilton has enough awards.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#16Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 7/1/20 at 7:22am

It’s a NY Times Critic’s Pick!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/movies/hamilton-review-disney-plus.html

rattleNwoolypenguin
#17Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 7/1/20 at 8:40am

I think we’ve had some really great Pro Shot musicals in recent years. Shrek, She Loves Me, Newsies, Memphis and Rent are all pretty phenomenal filming wise and engaging

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#18Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 7/1/20 at 8:56am

This filming was being treated as a theatrical release therefore they will be submitting it during awards season as such. It is being streamed on Disney + and not regular network television, which is why GREASE Live! and the other NBC Musical Events were in the Emmy Awards consideration submissions. Netflix films have won Academy Awards therefore Disney + hopes their films do so as well.  HAMILTON will not submit itself in any television category.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#19Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 7/1/20 at 10:16am

Considering that it's a mandatory 10 Best Picture Oscar nominees, I'd be shocked if it isn't nominated, and a Best Picture Musical or Comedy Golden Globe win is already a pretty good bet, even with West Side Story yet to be released. I'll be curious to see how eligibility for the actors is considered, though, since I don't believe there's any precedent for performances filmed on stage.

Updated On: 7/2/20 at 10:16 AM

Jarethan
#20Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 7/1/20 at 10:43am

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "
This is so hilarious that people are reviewing this. It’s a filmed production of a Broadway show what do you want?

It’s gonna be like the filmed version of Into the Woods with Bernadette. It’s gonna be what it is and charming for what it is

It’s not gonna be a movie.

That is beside the point.  Hamilton has entered into the national Zeitgeist in the way that almost no other play, musical, film, tv show has ever even approached.  The producers are taking (IMO) a huge risk in showing this taped version of the show; nothing I can think of has ever been still been so in demand, with premium prices up the ying-yang, as this show still is, when they were made available on TV.  Will that demand be as high after people have had the opportunity to see it multiple times for the price of a monthly subscription?

The taped version of any show is never as good as the live version...you are missing that human connection that only occurs in a theatre; but you do get different angles, close-ups, etc.  A lot of the critics that I read acknowledged their personal opinions on the show Hamilton, but then focused more on the actual success of the transition cot tape.  For me, that was valuable information; it helped to set my expectations, just the way that a review of a new movie or Broadway production does.  

Fosse76
#21Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 7/2/20 at 2:41am

BrodyFosse123 said: "This filming was being treated as a theatrical release therefore they will be submitting it during awards season as such. It is being streamed on Disney + and not regular network television, which is why GREASE Live! and the other NBC Musical Events were in the Emmy Awards consideration submissions. Netflix films have won Academy Awards therefore Disney + hopes their films do so as well. HAMILTON will not submit itself in any television category."

Netflix and Amazon films that have been nominated all had theatrical releases. And Netflix has had Emmy-nominated shows that didn't air on a network. Streaming services are pretty much treated like tv networks.

But as another poster said, apparently the Academy has altered the eligibility requirements for this year. But since Hamilton wasn't scheduled for release until next year, I wonder if they would still allow it to be entered. I can't imagine it'd win anything, but still...

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#22Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 7/2/20 at 8:58am

Fosse76 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "This filming was being treated as a theatrical release therefore they will be submitting it during awards season as such. It is being streamed on Disney + and not regular network television, which is why GREASE Live! and the other NBC Musical Events were in the Emmy Awards consideration submissions. Netflix films have won Academy Awards therefore Disney + hopes their films do so as well. HAMILTON will not submit itself in any television category."

Netflix and Amazon films that have been nominated all had theatrical releases. And Netflix has had Emmy-nominated shows that didn't air on a network. Streaming services are pretty much treated like tv networks.

But as another poster said, apparentlythe Academy has altered the eligibility requirements for this year. But since Hamilton wasn't scheduled for release until next year, I wonder if they would still allow it to be entered. I can't imagine it'd win anything, but still...
"

It's a feature film that has an MPAA rating, and it's considered a 2020 theatrical release. It will be submitted this year for any eligible awards . There's really no gray area here. 

Updated On: 7/2/20 at 08:58 AM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#23Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 7/2/20 at 10:29am

They'd likely sweep the Emmys. They'd likely would all be staying home on Oscar night. Aside from the camera angles and editing, there is really nothing being uniquely created for the silver screen that would warrant any serious Oscar consideration. 

This is not a motion picture, this is an event. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#24Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 7/2/20 at 10:52am

CT2NYC said: "Considering that it's a mandatory 10 Best Picture Oscar nominees, I'd be shocked if itisn'tnominated, and a Best Picture Musical or Comedy Golden Globe win is already a pretty goodbet, even withWest Side Story yet to be released. I'll be curious to see how eligibility for the actors is considered, though, since I don't believe there's any precedent for performances filmed on stage."

Correction, there is precedent. In 1975, James Whitmore received a Best Actor Oscar nomination for his filmed stage performance in Give ‘em Hell, Harry. In the same year, Ingmar Bergman’s filmed stage production of Mozart’s The Magic Flute received a nomination for Best Costume Design.

Considering how few movies have been released this year, and how many are being delayed, I think people are underestimating its chances for awards attention. Also, as a beacon of diversity and inclusion, it’s the perfect film for the Oscars to latch on to, in addition to the ratings boost it will get for ABC, which is owned by Disney.

Updated On: 7/2/20 at 10:52 AM

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#25Hamilton Movie Reviews
Posted: 7/2/20 at 11:19am

Disney has actually been submitting all of their Disney+ films for Emmy consideration, so I would be shocked if Hamilton was any different.