pixeltracker

(Almost) All White "In the Heights"?

(Almost) All White "In the Heights"?

santeFEEE
#1(Almost) All White "In the Heights"?
Posted: 7/7/20 at 1:13pm

How do you feel about about a predominately white high school performing In the Heights? I know LMM has spoken out and said he's okay with it as long as White performers aren't given roles over Hispanic performers. That being said, it is still kind of baffling to me that schools would choose this show. An all white school wouldn't pick Hairspray or Ragtime and have the African- American characters played by White people. So why is it okay to have Hispanic roles played by white actors? Do you think white schools should perform ITH? I'm genuinely interested in everybody's opinion!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 1:22pm

There have been dozens and dozens of arguments on this board about whitewashed casting, and every time it's the same points being tossed out from both sides. I don't think In the Heights is any different from any of the other examples that have been discussed, so I'm not sure if it's worth re-hashing (though I obviously can't stop anyone from doing so anyway).

The one thing I'll say is: I'm very surprised to hear that LMM ever gave it the OK. Do you remember where/when he was quoted as saying that? 

Updated On: 7/7/20 at 01:22 PM

Broadway61004
#3(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 1:25pm

My personal opinion is that it absolutely is not okay.  With that said, though, I also respect what the author says as I feel they deservedly claim ownership of the piece.  So if LMM says it's fine to perform the show without Hispanic actors, while I certainly disagree with that, at the end of the day who am I to argue with the person who created those characters and therefore can do what they please with them.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#4(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 1:27pm

He has stated he's okay with it for educational purposes only, meaning high schools. Sometimes, the school district wants something modern over the same old musicals they've been doing for decades, and in some of those school districts the kids are mostly white. It is what it is. He gets paid, he's made things clear, so I don't see the harm in it as long white people are never chosen over BIPOC for the roles. 

Updated On: 7/7/20 at 01:27 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#5(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 4:16pm

Sutton Ross said: "He has stated he's okay with it for educational purposes only, meaning high schools. Sometimes, the school district wants something modern over the same old musicals they've been doing for decades, and in some of those school districts the kids are mostly white. It is what it is. He gets paid, he's made things clear, so I don't see the harm in it as long white people are never chosen over BIPOC for the roles."

The fact that he's ok with it wouldn't take away from the embarrassing experience everyone involved in such production would have, including setting up an awful example.

Should white casts in high school do The Scottsboro Boys next because they are allowed?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Sutton Ross
#6(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 4:22pm

They've done productions of this for years in high schools, and no one seems to be embarrassed.

And no, The Scottsboro Boys is a totally different show, and would never be shown in high schools anyways. So, no need to discuss it since you are really reaching here. 

toottoot
#7(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 4:32pm

With all due respect to Lin Manuel Miranda, it thoroughly violates ethical casting code and only feeds into the violent practice of white washing. White non-Latinx actors should not be playing Latinx characters. It's really simple. 

VintageSnarker
#8(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 4:38pm

santeFEEE said: "An all white school wouldn't pick Hairspray or Ragtime and have the African- American characters played by White people."

Oh, they absolutely would. Though I think almost all-white In the Heights and almost all-white The King and I are more popular choices.

santeFEEE
#9(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 4:43pm

Right! Theres a school in my area. Its a white area with a well known high school theatre program. They have announced their show for next year (ITH) and tbh as an adult who loves seeing high school shows to support the youth I was dissapointed. I dont want them to think its okay to white wash a culture.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 4:48pm

I certainly remember reading about an all white high school Hairspray in this board. It has happened. I believe MTI required a notice in the program but I don’t recall what it said.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#11(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 4:54pm

santeFEEE said: "Right! Theres a school in my area. Its a white area with a well known high school theatre program. They have announced their show for next year (ITH) and tbh as an adult who loves seeing high school shows to support the youth I was dissapointed. I dont want them to think its okay to white wash a culture."

The cast has been announced?  You know that all the actors are white?  And when you state "I dont want them to think its okay to white wash a culture," what is your intent?  What do you plan to do?

Non sibi sed patriae

AEA AGMA SM
#12(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 4:58pm

There used to be a loophole that allowed for non-diverse casting in Hairspray, but Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman recently worked with MTI to close that loophole saying they could no longer stand by letting the show be white washed.

Shaiman and Wittman Close Up Hairspray Loophole Allowing for All-White Cast

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#13(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 5:09pm

Sutton Ross said: "They've done productions of this for years in high schools, and no one seems to beembarrassed.

Well, they should. It's racist and inappropriate. Considering the immense catalogue representing the history of white culture, they have no business performing a show depicting the struggles and idiosyncrasies of non-white immigrants and their environment.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Sutton Ross
#14(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 5:18pm

Take it up with Lin Manuel Miranda, he gave them permission. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#15(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 5:46pm

Sutton Ross said: "Take it up with Lin Manuel Miranda, he gave them permission."

As I said, permission doesn't make this right. I'm glad someone like Shaiman rectified this error. People like you sure don't help with these issues.

Sutton Ross
#16(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 5:52pm

Lol. It's HIS show. HE gave them permission. So, it's fine with him and it's fine with me for the reasons I already stated. And I guess "people like me" are similar to LMM in terms of thinking it's okay. 

I'm not your problem, take it up with him. Thanks. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#17(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 6:11pm

For a billion years whites were playing all the roles in WSS, too. And the Asians in Millie. Today, we know how distasteful it is....but many communities are slow to understand that.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#18(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 6:34pm

Sutton Ross said: "Lol. It's HIS show. HE gave them permission. So, it's fine with him and it's fine with me for the reasons I already stated. And I guess "people like me" are similar to LMM in terms of thinking it's okay.

"

Ok Karen.

DigificWriter
#19(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 7:02pm

Theatre licensing should not impose diversity casting requirements on drama teachers or casting directors, IMO, because casting should not be about gender, ethnicity, or race, but about talent.

High Schools, even schools in non-diverse areas, should have the freedom to stage any show that they want to, have the budget for, and have received approval from the appropriate administrators for, period

It's all well and good for certain shows to have been written with diverse casting in mind, but trying to impose and/or enforce such intent for every single performance of said shows ever is both unrealistic and overly restrictive.

Updated On: 7/7/20 at 07:02 PM

Sutton Ross
#20(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 7:17pm

blaxx said: "Sutton Ross said: "Lol. It's HIS show. HE gave them permission. So, it's fine with him and it's fine with me for the reasons I already stated. And I guess "people like me" are similar to LMM in terms of thinking it's okay.

"

Ok Karen.
"

It's cute you think Im some old white lady who wears yoga pants and yells at birders. Nah. Bitch about this to someone else who actually cares because it ain't me. Thanks so much.  (Almost) All White

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#21(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 7:24pm

blaxx said: "Ok Karen."

smiley You are funny, blaxx  !!

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 7/7/20 at 07:24 PM

beatofthedrum27
#22(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 8:06pm

I also read that LMM said he’s fine with it because it could educate white teens on Hispanic culture which is great. I don’t think it’s a bad idea with the right people at the head of it because Latin culture is pretty under discussed.

Sutton Ross
#23(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 8:18pm

Absolutely agree, 100%. 

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#24(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 8:33pm

Yeah... This thread will end well.

How about we go back to shows that have been off-cast long before precious Hamilton.

I'll start:  Once On This Island.  I've seen it all black.  I've seen it mixed.  I've seen it high school white.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#25(Almost) All White
Posted: 7/7/20 at 9:00pm

beatofthedrum27 said: "I also read that LMM said he’s fine with it because it could educate white teens on Hispanic culture which is great. I don’t think it’s a bad idea with the right people at the head of it because Latin culture is pretty under discussed. "

Read it where?

The idea of having to play a character from a specific background to learn from that culture is racist and unacceptable. Even if the creator gives you a pass, it is wrong - he doesn't own tje use of the culture.

This is for the same reason that black or yellow face is wrong, pernission wouldn't make it right, would it?

It seems that since LMM the Hispanic legacy is the latest fad that all white folks think it's cool to appropriate.