Favorite Phantom?

Globefan
#1Favorite Phantom?
Posted: 9/20/20 at 9:14pm

Who is your favorite performer who has played the title role in The Phantom of the Opera? My favorite is a tie between Michael Crawford and Ramin. 

ImAProphet
#2Favorite Phantom?
Posted: 9/20/20 at 10:05pm

I feel like I can only fairly judge those I've seen in person, so for me that would be Josh Piterman who starred in the West End production up until the shutdown. For comparison I have also seen Ben Crawford (honorable mention), Peter Jöback, James Barbour, and Laird Mackintosh.

I think Hugh Panaro could have been my favorite if I'd had a chance to see him. I've been really impressed with him in bootlegs and have enjoyed him in other things. But I didn't experience him the same as the others so I'm not confident making the comparison. I feel similarly about Michael Crawford - the original cast album is still my favorite.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#3Favorite Phantom?
Posted: 9/20/20 at 10:07pm

Norm Lewis. He breathed new life into the role. Absolutely brilliant. 

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#4Favorite Phantom?
Posted: 9/20/20 at 10:07pm

I've only seen Howard McGillin & Hugh Panaro live, but I'd have to say between the two Howard takes it.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#5Favorite Phantom?
Posted: 9/20/20 at 11:01pm

Paul Williams

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#6Favorite Phantom?
Posted: 9/21/20 at 10:18am

I love Michael Crawford's performance on the original cast recording, but I unfortunately never saw him in the role.

Of those I've seen (and there have been MANY), my favorite to date is the current Phantom, Ben Crawford.

Honorable mentions also go to these very fine gentlemen:

Hugh Panaro
Jeremy Stolle
Laird Mackintosh

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 9/21/20 at 10:18 AM

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#7Favorite Phantom?
Posted: 9/21/20 at 11:30am

Sutton Ross, I couldn't agree more. He is my favorite too.

Enjolras5 Profile Photo
Enjolras5
#8Favorite Phantom?
Posted: 9/21/20 at 11:34am

This is a really hard question...Micheal Crawford's performance was the first I've heard and I'd have to say he outshines the rest.  The sheer power and emotion in that man's voice...

...plus that duet with Barbra Streisand!!!! Out of this world!!!

~E

Urban
#9Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/21/20 at 10:54pm

Anthony Warlow.

Its a shame there never was a cast recording with him and only those snippets on the Anniversary CRs.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/22/20 at 12:33am

Urban said: "Anthony Warlow.

Its a shame there never was a cast recording with him and only those snippets on the Anniversary CRs.
"

There's a soundboard recording.

FindingNamo
#11Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/22/20 at 1:52am

Paul Stanley. Robert Guillaume

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Adams3
#12Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/22/20 at 4:30am

Jeremy Stolle

KingOfTheMine Profile Photo
KingOfTheMine
#13Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/22/20 at 9:43am

I might be biased since he was the first actor I saw as the Phantom, but Hugh Panaro has always been my favorite. He acts the role better than anyone else. I also really enjoyed Ben Crawford in the role. I've only seen clips, but John Owen-Jones is definitely one of my favorites vocally.

bawoman
#14Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/22/20 at 1:52pm

Michael Crawford just cannot be beat in my good. The vulnerability and loneliness he projected, as well as the eeriness, the elegance and the pride. His body movements were EVERYTHING. Some don't take to him much because he has a particular kind of voice, but I would look beyond that and see how deeply  he is able to express his emotions through his singing. His finals lairs are utterly heartbreaking. Also, as good as the Original cast recording is, I would recommend listening to some live shows he did, because MC is a very visceral, in the moment performer, and that is, imo, when you see his Phantom at his best.

Also a few others I have liked for different reasons are Earl Carpenter, Hugh Panaro, John Owen Jones, and Ethan Freeman.Though Earl and JOJ did the west end, I believe, not Broadway.

Updated On: 9/22/20 at 01:52 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#15Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/22/20 at 3:05pm

There have been many Phantoms thus far that have captured the essence of the role. Of course, Michael Crawford leads the pack, but I thought Ramin was also incredible in the 25th anniversary capture. His "YOU WILL CURSE the day you did not do..." was greatly executed. 

I wish I had seen Ben play the role- I heard he was also a solid Phantom. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#16Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/23/20 at 6:52am

Ben was a solid Phantom. One of the best I've seen in a while, although I did enjoy Hugh's sarcasm in the final lair, Ben was better all around. I hope he comes back when they return.

jodi torres
#17Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/23/20 at 11:09pm

bawoman said: "Michael Crawford just cannot be beat in my good. The vulnerability and loneliness he projected, as well as the eeriness, the elegance and the pride. His body movements were EVERYTHING. Some don't take to him much because he has a particular kind of voice, but I would look beyond that and see how deeply he is able to express his emotions through his singing. His finals lairs are utterly heartbreaking. Also, as good as the Original cast recording is, I would recommend listening to some live shows he did, because MC is a very visceral, in the moment performer, and that is, imo, when you see his Phantom at his best.

Also a few others I have liked for different reasons are Earl Carpenter, Hugh Panaro, John Owen Jones, and Ethan Freeman.Though Earl and JOJ did the west end, I believe, not Broadway.
"

Yep, I agree. Michael Crawford by all means.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#18Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/24/20 at 10:42am

Davis Gaines

But Ben Crawford is high on my list also, so too is Ethan Freeman in his Canadian run.

I greatly dislike the trend in London in the past 10 or so years where they like to shout through the ending (go now etc), too much, over the top and just doesn't work for me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#19Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/24/20 at 12:45pm

I totally forgot about Davis Gaines. He was a phenomenal Phantom. I'm sure Crawford was great, but I never saw him live. His recording is exceptional though.

jimmycurry01
#20Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/24/20 at 12:56pm

Rick Hilsabeck was my first. Although I was quite young at the time, I remember him very fondly. I really did enjoy Howard McMillin, he may be my favorite that have seen live. In terms of videos, Ramin is formidable, Davis Gaines is truly great, and Michael Crawford is incomparable.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#21Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/24/20 at 2:47pm

Justin D said: "I greatly dislike the trend in London in the past 10 or so years where they like to shout through the ending (go now etc), too much, over the top and just doesn't work for me."

Don't even get me started. James Barbour was like that on Broadway, as if heightened emotion could only be communicated by shouting.

Phantom4ever
#22Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/24/20 at 11:42pm

As a certified Phantom Phantom Phlunatic phan, I've seen quite a Phfew Phantoms.  (ok ok I'll Ph-stop)

I loved the most recent one, Ben Crawford, for his strong voice. I love the Howard McGillin Hugh Panaro years where it seemed like they just kept replacing each other. Am I making that up or did it really happen that way throughout the 2000's? 

But actually I LOVED showing up at the Majestic and seeing an understudy on for the Phantom--especially Laird Mackintosh or Jeremy Stolle. They both always treated the show like opening night and gave it their all. They always seemed to get so much love during the curtain call too. 

I did not like James Barbour because he was dull and I could not stand the way he said "Make your choice?" as a question rather than as an imperative. I'm a huge fan of Norm Lewis and I'd pay to watch him read the phonebook, but Music of the Night was simply not in his range and it was painful to listen to him sing it. I am not Super Musician so I may not be using the right terms but why they didn't change the key or something for him I'll never know.  That final note of the song----he wasn't able to sing anything at all. HOWEVER for the rest of the show he was a gorgeous and seductive Phantom. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#23Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/25/20 at 1:37pm

Phantom4ever said: "As a certified Phantom Phantom Phlunatic phan, I've seen quite a Phfew Phantoms. (ok ok I'll Ph-stop)

I loved the most recent one, Ben Crawford, for his strong voice. I love the Howard McGillin Hugh Panaro years where it seemed like they just kept replacing each other. Am I making that up or did it really happen that way throughout the 2000's?

But actually I LOVED showing up at the Majestic and seeing an understudy on for the Phantom--especially Laird Mackintosh or Jeremy Stolle. They both always treated the show like opening night and gave it their all. They always seemed to get so much love during the curtain call too.

I did not like James Barbour because he was dull and I could not stand the way he said "Make your choice?" as a question rather than as an imperative. I'm a huge fan of Norm Lewis and I'd pay to watch him read the phonebook, but Music of the Night was simply not in his range and it was painful to listen to him sing it. I am not Super Musician so I may not be using the right terms but why they didn't change the key or something for him I'll never know. That final note of the song----he wasn't able to sing anything at all. HOWEVER for the rest of the show he was a gorgeous and seductive Phantom.
"

I generally prefer not to quote lengthy posts in their entirety, but I agree with virtually everything you said. Especially about Mr. Stolle and Mr. Mackintosh, whose talents are sadly underappreciated.

Updated On: 9/29/20 at 01:37 PM

singerunlimited
#24Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 9/28/20 at 4:48pm

Apart from Howard McGillin, my other favorite Phantoms are John Cudia and Gary Mauer. Mauer, in particular stands out in my mind. His voice was otherworldly in the role.

PanaroFan111
#25Favourite Phantom?
Posted: 10/6/20 at 2:22pm

Ive seen 13 different actors play the Phantom at the Majestic.

Judging by my user name Hugh Panaro is by far my FAVORITE PHANTOM!!! Tremendous tenor voice and his constant changing up the Final lair made him my all time Phantom.

Honorable mentions go to Ben Crawford and Howard Mcgillin

Best Understudy Jeremy Stolle.

Videos