pixeltracker

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 41

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

superiska123
#1000DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/22/21 at 4:32pm

Honestly, the issue for me wasn't just that Ben Platt didn't look like a teenager, but that he didn't act like one either. His fellow cast members delivered more believable and effortless performances... Ben looked like he was putting all his efforts into appearing younger through mannerisms and then the other emotions and nuance came second.

I did enjoy his performances on stage immensely though, in both DEH and BOM. Just don't think his Evan really worked on screen for me personally...

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#1001DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/22/21 at 5:35pm

When a Hit Musical Becomes a Bad Movie Dear Evan Hansen was lauded on Broadway, but the film adaptation only emphasizes its flaws. https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/09/dear-evan-hansen-film-review/620145/

DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1002DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/22/21 at 5:46pm

Los Angeles Times:

"Sorry, haters, the movie version of ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ isn’t a train wreck"

'Dear Evan Hansen' review: Broadway adaptation no disaster - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

Papi2013
#1003DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/22/21 at 6:06pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Los AngelesTimes:

"Sorry, haters, the movie version of ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ isn’t a train wreck"

'Dear Evan Hansen' review: Broadway adaptation no disaster - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
"

Well.. this is the kind of review this guy always writes.  Instead of just dealing with the material he lets everything else influence his review.  But even with all that.. it is still a bad review. 

Wayman_Wong
#1004DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/22/21 at 9:28pm

''Bitching about something that cannot be changed ... is pretty dumb.''

It's a movie. Nothing can be ''changed about it at this point.'' It's already shot. And yet ... critics, Oscar voters, all of us judge movies by what's on the screen. Some folks will love Platt's casting, and some won't. That's showbiz. But everyone has a right to express his/her equally valid opinion and if they disagree with you, doesn't need to be condescendingly told to ''get over'' it.

As for the Los Angeles Times, that critique reads like a defensive piece written by someone who already read a bunch of negative reviews and wanted to answer them. That said, telling your readers that ''Evan Hansen'' ''works better in the theater'' but isn't a movie disaster isn't the most glowing praise.

I can see the TV ad now: '''Dear Evan Hansen' isn't a train wreck!'' - L.A. Times

P.S., Platt turns 28 tomorrow (Sept. 24), so his film will open on his birthday.

Updated On: 9/23/21 at 09:28 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#1005DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/23/21 at 2:22pm

New York Times review... Wow... talk about a big OUCH!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/23/movies/dear-evan-hansen-review.html

rattleNwoolypenguin
#1006DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/23/21 at 2:44pm

"Treacly and manipulative"- NY Times

yep

Wayman_Wong
#1007DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/23/21 at 3:23pm

In the past week, the New York Times has been running stories, like ''Ben Platt Isn't the Oldest Adult to Play a Teenager Onscreen'' and ''How the Cast Members of 'Dear Evan Hansen' Found Their Voices.'' I thought  the Times might be laying the groundwork for a rave review. Guess not.

iwuldwf
#1008DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/23/21 at 5:29pm

It's down to 34% on Rotten Tomatoes.  It feels like a Ben Platt Razzie nomination is more likely than an Oscar nomination at this point.

Updated On: 9/23/21 at 05:29 PM

rattleNwoolypenguin
#1009DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/23/21 at 5:44pm

"It feels like a Ben Platt Razzie nomination is more likely than an Oscar nomination at this point."

Hollywood nepotism having consequences. Who knew.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#1010DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/23/21 at 6:08pm

I was never a big fan of the material, but always admired that it showed a person doing dislikable things without making the character himself a bad guy. I enjoyed that nuance. And it's odd to me how much of the negative reaction to the movie originates in people being somehow galled that they are supposed to empathize with a character who--admittedly--does something unpleasant. It sounds like they are complaining that the work isn't more black and white and diagrammatic--the very refusal to do that being what makes the story worth telling to begin with.

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#1011DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/23/21 at 9:10pm

I like that nuance, too, but the show seems to drop the ball somewhere on the journey from Words Fail to the apple orchard, which is why it's so frustrating to me. There are so many fascinating angles and exciting ways that the show explores weary tropes about family disconnect, so when it whiffs it so close to the end, it's an even bigger letdown than if the whole show were crummy. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#1012DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/23/21 at 9:26pm

Charley Kringas Inc said: "I like that nuance, too, but the show seems to drop the ball somewhere on the journey from Words Fail to the apple orchard, which is why it's so frustrating to me. There are so many fascinating angles and exciting ways that the show explores weary tropes about family disconnect, so when it whiffs it so close to the end, it's an even bigger letdown than if the whole show were crummy."

We are also living in a very different world than when the show premiered. I think much has changed since the pandemic as well as the issues related to race, class and privilege going on in our country. The lens through which people view and critique art is much more sensitive. I think more people will be turned off by the inconsistencies and moral ambiguity of the piece. I think suspending disbelief is harder especially when you are dealing with issues of suicide and grief. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

rattleNwoolypenguin
#1013DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/23/21 at 9:29pm

My response to the defense of "Stories have people do unpleasant things and that's what makes it interesting."

Sure, but this show wants to also be this uplifting inspirational mental health sit down where you forgive Evan.

Anti hero stories aren't usually asking for forgiveness. If the writers were able to step away from the platitudes and dig deeper and tell an even darker tale I think it would attract a smarter crowd than the youngins who connect with Evan cause "he's lonely in school like me and has mental health issues."

Updated On: 9/23/21 at 09:29 PM

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#1014DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/23/21 at 9:35pm

Bettyboy72 said: "Charley Kringas Inc said: "I like that nuance, too, but the show seems to drop the ball somewhere on the journey from Words Fail to the apple orchard, which is why it's so frustrating to me. There are so many fascinating angles and exciting ways that the show explores weary tropes about family disconnect, so when it whiffs it so close to the end, it's an even bigger letdown than if the whole show were crummy."

We are also living in a very different world than when the show premiered. I think much has changedsince the pandemic as well as the issues related to race, class and privilege going on in our country. The lens through which people view and critique art is much more sensitive. I think more people will be turned off by the inconsistencies and moral ambiguity of the piece. I think suspending disbelief is harder especially when you are dealing with issues of suicide and grief.

"

I think both of you make really interesting points.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#1015DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/23/21 at 9:41pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "My response to the defense of "Stories have people do unpleasant things and that's what makes it interesting."

Sure, but this show wants to also be this uplifting inspirational mental health sit down where you forgive Evan.

Anti hero stories aren't usually asking for forgiveness. If the writers were able to step away from the platitudes and dig deeper and tell an even darker tale I think it would attract a smarter crowd than the younginswho connect with Evan cause "he's lonely in school like me and has mental health issues."
"

I think you're discussing a different kind of anti-hero, but I see no reason not to forgive Evan. I mean, he didn't murder or assault anyone. Surely if someone only makes minor mistakes, forgiveness doesn't mean much. That we can see Evan made a huge mistake, but that mistake was born of equal parts anxiety and need, and that he owns what he did, why shouldn't we, as audience members, be able to forgive him?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#1016DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/23/21 at 10:51pm

I think the film is getting pretty much what it deserves, but stories like this that manipulate our sympathies and so on so as to bring about introspection after the fact are certainly legitimate in the theatre (and the revulsion and sympathy juxtapositions to the same effect are of course common in the reverse). I think the difference is that films and especially musicals don't normally go there. The reviewer said she cringed; that is not always a negative. Here, the problem (assuming as I do that she's right about this) is that this movie is just lousy.

Theatre Fan3
#1017DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/23/21 at 11:37pm

This BWW headline could be taken in more than one way ....

"Ben Platt Opens Up About the Honor of Seeing Evan Hansen Through to the End"

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#1018DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 1:12am

The full soundtrack was just released. I’ll say Tori Kelly’s Waving Through a Window is kind of a bop and I much prefer it. In fact, the pop artists’ versions of the songs allow the music to escape the sameness that exists in the movie versions and provide variation. And maybe the songs just work better as pop songs.

Updated On: 9/24/21 at 01:12 AM

BWNUT
#1019DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 2:31am

Just saw the movie. I’ve never seen the stage version . My first reaction was: take out the songs and it actually is a decent movie. Although Evan might be creepier without the songs. . I don’t know. None of the music is memorable anyway, except maybe, You Will Be Found. I found myself willing to go along with the story because of believable performances but every time they break out into a song, it’s like pressing a pause button . I shut down mentally and emotionally. The director just doesn’t have the skills for that smooth transition from spoken to sung dialogue and what to do while in the song.

Also, the movie suffers from Les Miz syndrome. Too much closeups. Can we please pull back a bit once fluids start oozing out of the actor’s facial orifices?

BWNUT
#1020DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 2:31am

Just saw the movie. I’ve never seen the stage version . My first reaction was: take out the songs and it actually is a decent movie. Although Evan might be creepier without the songs. . I don’t know. None of the music is memorable anyway, except maybe, You Will Be Found. I found myself willing to go along with the story because of believable performances but every time they break out into a song, it’s like pressing a pause button . I shut down mentally and emotionally. The director just doesn’t have the skills for that smooth transition from spoken to sung dialogue and what to do while in the song.

Also, the movie suffers from Les Miz syndrome. Too much closeups. Can we please pull back a bit once fluids start oozing out of the actor’s facial orifices?

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#1021DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 2:48am

I was so looking forward to it. Now I have no inspiration to watch it. Although I am intrigued by the Julianne Moore solo.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#1022DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 3:11am

There is just nothing remarkable about the stage version. Maybe Platt's performance was amazing, I didn't see it, but it's been proven that the show can survive without his performance. I think the staging is very bad. It's a low quality product put at Broadway prices. The movie? I've no interest w/o Moore and Adams. So I will probably watch it. But I'm glad the show is getting called out. It's not a great message. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1023DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 3:32am

HeyMrMusic said: "The full soundtrack was just released. I’ll say Tori Kelly’s Waving Through a Window is kind of a bop and I much prefer it. In fact, the pop artists’ versions of the songs allow the music to escape the sameness that exists in the movie versions and provide variation. And maybe the songs just work better as pop songs."

I love the Sam Smith “You Will Be Found”

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#1024DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/24/21 at 8:30am

As someone who absolutely loved the production on stage, the movie did not work for me. There are so many issues all around. We went to the Q&A preview last night. Um. Hello, can we get some lighting and professional video production for this Q&A? Not sure what they were thinking on that one, but it was a waste of 20 minutes. 

We went with friends who had never seen the stage show. While they enjoyed it more than I did, the first thing they asked me when it was over was, "Were we supposed to care about Connor?" There was literally zero character development. Cutting "Anybody Have a Map" or at least that scene to introduce Connor a bit more was an egregious error. I truly can't understand that decision and wasn't ever really a huge fan of the song, but felt it important to the story. While "Good for You" was one of my favorites, I do understand the decision to cut that number.

For me, there were really no great performances, which was disappointing as I'm a huge fan of many in the cast. However, Ben stuck out like a sore thumb while everyone else was bringing their acting to the film medium. He was awkward, creepy and far less sympathetic. I didn't even really care that he looked 35 years old. 

Sure, Julianne Moore's stripped down version of So Big, So Small was good. It wasn't great like RBJ. She's not getting nominated for an Oscar. Not sure why people are saying that. Her performance was just good. She has the best performance in a film with mediocre to decent performances. That's about it. I was most disappointed with Katelyn Dever's Zoe though as she was so so great in Unbelievable. 

I liked the expansion of Alana's character. Did not like changes for Jared's character. In the original production, you truly got the sense that Evan didn't have any real friends. Nik's Jared was kinder to Evan, so the whole "family friend" didn't really land in the film.

Dear Stephen Chbosky: Stay away from musicals. There were so many awful directorial choices in this film. Very uninspired. The pacing of this film could have driven a much heavier and more meaningful story, but it all felt like a crossover of a Lifetime movie and a Disney musical.

Updated On: 9/24/21 at 08:30 AM