Universal's WICKED Films - News & Discussion Thread

Globefan
#475Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/20/22 at 2:02pm

Ariana was at the Gershwin last night 

hearthemsing22
#476Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/20/22 at 4:44pm

Apparently so was Jordan Fisher which makes people think he’s Fiyero which I just do NOT see. Speculate all you want-I don’t see him in the role. 

briankershawjr
#477Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/2/22 at 10:35am

Cynthia Erivo mentioned to reporters at the SAG Awards that her and Ariana are spending a lot of time together, working on their version of the characters. She also mentioned that they are to start rehearsals in July.

Also to one report she mentioned the idea that they will be singing live when they do the film.  

Globefan
#478Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/30/22 at 7:27pm

https://www.etonline.com/wicked-director-jon-m-chu-says-door-is-open-for-kristin-chenoweth-and-idina-menzel-cameos-exclusive

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#479Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/30/22 at 8:17pm

No sh**, Narda.  They’re making cameos.  Both actresses have vocally expressed interest in doing so, so his offer is kinda idiotic.  Chenoweth has even given them an idea: in a crowd scene have her hold her hand up and lean into Idina’s ear whispering - recreating the poster art of the show.  

Globefan
#480Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/30/22 at 8:19pm

Kristin's idea is brilliant. I can picture it now 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#481Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/3/22 at 9:40pm

I don’t know if it’s been announced or confirmed, but Cynthia said on the Grammys red carpet that Paul Tazewell is doing costumes for the film. 

https://fb.watch/ca1zV3FPYK/

Updated On: 4/3/22 at 09:40 PM

Globefan
#482Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/3/22 at 10:09pm

https://www.etonline.com/norbert-leo-butz-and-michelle-federer-reveal-their-dream-casting-for-wicked-film-exclusive-182312 Updated On: 4/8/22 at 10:09 PM

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#483Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/20/22 at 3:35pm

So when do you think they'll announce the rest of the cast? They're supposed to start filming in a few months...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#484Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/20/22 at 4:47pm

pmensky said: "Tag said: "Maybe Ramos for...Boq?"

I was thinking Robin de Jesus. I wonder if they’ll try to find a little person to play the role. They seem to be focused on representation, and with their casting notice for a wheelchair using actor to play Nessa, they may want to handle Boq’s casting similarly.
"

I'm curious about the Munchkins. It would be awful if they cast them as little people but not Boq.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Observation
#485Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/20/22 at 5:10pm

I think it is safe to assume that they will CGI this to hell and back, but wonder if they'll have Elphaba be painted or will they just fix it in post? I guess my hope is a mixture of both. I just miss seeing practical effects sometimes. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#486Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/20/22 at 5:12pm

Observation said: "I think it is safe to assume that they will CGI this to hell and back, but wonder if they'll have Elphaba be painted or will they just fix it in post? I guess my hope is a mixture of both. I just miss seeing practical effects sometimes."

Jon Chu asked Erivo personally if she wanted natural green makeup, or have it be CGI. She chose the former (and thank God). 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 4/20/22 at 05:12 PM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#487Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/21/22 at 1:14am

Observation said: "I think it is safe to assume that they will CGI this to hell and back, but wonder if they'll have Elphaba be painted or will they just fix it in post? I guess my hope is a mixture of both. I just miss seeing practical effects sometimes."

I've always thought they should do this film in the style of the Wizard of Oz and pay homage to it.
ie. painted drops, studio soundstages, practical effects, skin-melting mercury-filled green make-up, etc.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#488Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/21/22 at 1:21am

Erivo’s reasoning is that it would be easier embodying the character looking at her real green hands and green face and not her natural skin color.  That’s why she chose going the make-up route over being turned green via CGI in post.  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#489Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/21/22 at 2:00am

I just can't see how this doesn't come off as cheesy - a la Cats. It's just so theatrical. The director did well with "In The Heights," but that's just such a natural story. Happy to be proven wrong as I'm a big Wicked fan (and a huge Ariana fan, so I hope he reigns her in and doesn't just give us her usual). 

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#490Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/21/22 at 6:19am

briankershawjr said: "Also to one report she mentioned the idea that they will be singing live when they do the film."

Please no. Film is about the illusion of sung thoughts. Not even all the words should be mouthed. The possibilities on film are endless. Pre-recorded tracks take it to a higher level and leaves more room for real acting. Through song. As an extra emotional layer. Les miserables turned into an "acting-in spite of song" travesty. Raw and real lies in understanding and embracing this non-literal form of storytelling on screen , as we can see in West side story. 

Updated On: 4/21/22 at 06:19 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#491Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/21/22 at 7:27am

Seb28 said: "briankershawjr said: "Also to one report she mentioned the idea that they will be singing live when they do the film."

Please no. Film is about the illusion of sung thoughts. Not even all the words should be mouthed. The possibilities on film are endless. Pre-recorded tracks take it to a higher level and leaves more room for real acting. Through song. As an extra emotional layer. Les Miserables turned into an "acting-in spite of song" travesty. Raw and real lies in understanding and embracing this non-literal form of storytelling on screen , as we can see in West Side Story.
"

First of all, I thought the live singing worked very well in Les Misérables (sue me!). Second of all, live singing has since been incorporated into other movie musicals one way or another, some of which I thought worked to great effect. Look at La La Land, In the Heights, and Steven Spielberg's West Side Story.

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#492Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/21/22 at 12:34pm

RippedMan said: "I just can't see how this doesn't come off as cheesy - a la Cats. It's just so theatrical. The director did well with "In The Heights," but that's just such a natural story. Happy to be proven wrong as I'm a big Wicked fan (and a huge Ariana fan, so I hope he reigns her in and doesn't just give us her usual)."

"Natural" meaning realistic-ish? I disagree. The milieu is sorta realistic but the style of storytelling (dancing on the side of a building, sung fantasy sequences) is akin to magical realism.

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#493Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/26/22 at 12:07pm

So, we aren't just getting one Wicked film... we're getting TWO?!

https://twitter.com/jonmchu/status/1518983750042136577?s=20&t=pSbgqC2uwo2_9YjCZT3hwg

I mean, the more Wicked content, the better. I just don't want to have to wait such a long time between both of them 🥴 I kind of understand why they're doing this though. One, the money. Two, what the hell are you supposed to do on screen after the epic-ness of "Defying Gravity"? I get it. Both parts better be utterly brilliant though!

Updated On: 4/26/22 at 12:07 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#494Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/26/22 at 12:23pm

My hope is that they really ARE fleshing out the story and considering the original Baum and Maguire source material and developing the book, which I think it has needed since 2003. I’m sure a lot of it also has to do with either production direction with (hopefully) the building of large scale practical sets and effects… or to allot time for any (sigh) CGI development. Universal is probably thinking this is a smarter move after the Cats last-minute visual effects fiasco.  

Globefan
#495Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/26/22 at 1:01pm

I wonder if they're gonna film it all in one go. 

Playbill_Trash
#496Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/26/22 at 3:59pm

I hope the producers of this movie and Ariana Grande are reading the reviews of Beanie Feldstein in Funny Girl - and taking the hint.

Hopefully they’re self-aware enough to admit when a poor casting choice is not fit for a high-profile role and will avoid the scrutiny, regret, and missed opportunities before it’s too late.

Stay in your lane, let someone who can do it do it.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#497Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 4/26/22 at 4:06pm

Playbill_Trash said: "I hope the producers of this movie and Ariana Grande are reading the reviews of Beanie Feldstein in Funny Girl - and taking the hint.

Hopefully they’re self-aware enough to admit when a poor casting choice is not fit for a high-profile role and will avoid the scrutiny, regret, and missed opportunities before it’s too late.

Stay in your lane, let someone who can do it do it.
"

Dream on.

NOLAguy
#498Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/8/22 at 1:06am

I know this will seem way left field. But seeing her at jazz fest in New Orleans tonight, with her commentary between songs,…:I think Stevie Nicks could make an incredible Morrible for the film. 

BwayLB
#499Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/11/22 at 11:26pm

Two weeks since the two part announcement, I'm trying to process it. But I hope this will be creative good more than harm.