jacobsnchz14
#175NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 9:07am

Another video: https://youtu.be/UzI6nlR7jrs

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#176NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 9:23am

I am excited for Taraji! I wonder how much her performance as Cookie with align with her Hannigan. 

And yes she can sing...she was on a musical drama for 5 years as the lead.

BwayLB
#177NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 9:32am

jacobsnchz14 said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Taraji-P-Henson-Will-Play-Miss-Hannigan-in-NBCs-ANNIE-LIVE-This-December-20210608

Taraji P. Henson will be playing Miss Hannigan!
"

I loved her in Hidden Figures. So should be interesting

BCfitasafiddle
#178NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 9:33am

This is so great!! It will be a totally fresh take on Hannigan and I can’t wait. Can’t wait to hear about more of the casting.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#179NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 9:48am

Taraji P Henson?!?!?! NOW I am interested. And yes she can sing. Watch Tyler Perry’s I Can Do Bad All By Myself where she slays Aretha’s “Rock Steady”.

Owen22
#180NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 9:52am

Yes.Taraji. Yes, I like this!!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#181NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 10:23am

This is far more interesting than the sitcom/SNL ladies whose names have been thrown around. Excited to see how the rest of the cast shapes up –– Taraji alone won't bring in as many viewers as Chris Walken or Carrie Underwood!

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#182NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 10:48am

Agreed—much more exciting than some of the names thrown around. I will say, when she’s on she’s great, but she often tends to chew the scenery a bit. I’m hoping she can find a bit more nuance. Years of horrid community theatre productions has made Hannigan a bit of a Caricature, some I’m hoping she breathes new life into it.

BCfitasafiddle
#183NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 10:49am

So curious to see who will be playing Grace.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#184NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 11:12am

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Agreed—much more exciting than some of the names thrown around. I will say, when she’s on she’s great, but she often tends to chew the scenery a bit. I’m hoping she can find a bit more nuance. Years of horrid community theatre productions has made Hannigan a bit of a Caricature, some I’m hoping she breathes new life into it."

Lear DeBesonet doesn't strike me as someone who's going to want to lean into some of the camp aspects of Hannigan.

Hope they don't cut the Hoovertown/political stuff.

BwayLB
#185NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 11:13am

^ I doubt they will since it was referenced in the press release announcing the show.

JSquared2
#186NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 11:46am

bdn223 said: "I am excited for Taraji! I wonder how much her performance as Cookie with align with her Hannigan.

And yes she can sing...she was on a musical drama for 5 years as the lead.
"

Yes, she was on EMPIRE -- but that was not a "musical" drama -- it was a drama about a family-owned rap music empire.  The characters did not break out into song.

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#187NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 12:14pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "So curious to see who will be playing Grace."

The more I think about it, the more I hope it's Mandy Moore.  The filming of the final season of "This Is Us" could be an issue though.

degrassifan
#188NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 12:26pm

Aww this is fun casting! I think she'll be great! I agree, this is much more exciting than the names that were being thrown out in this thread (no offense). Can't wait to see who they get for the other adult roles! 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#189NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 1:02pm

Such great casting. Yes! 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#190NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 1:25pm

jlindsey865 said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "So curious to see who will be playing Grace."

The more I think about it, the more I hope it's Mandy Moore. The filming of the final season of "This Is Us" could be an issue though.
"

See I hope they go with a BIPOC Grace, and a white Annie and Daddy Warbucks, especially if they keep the political subplots. In my opinion this could emphasis the failures of the political and economic system and the need for the social safety nets brought about by FDR. In truth this could be played as an allusion to the modern systematic racism.  Miss Hannigan as a BIPOC most certainly can emphasize that she is not "evil", but is a victim of circumstance and simply doing what she needs to to survive. In truth this would help Henson ground her Hannigan, and make her less of the caricature that she has become in most regional theater performances. Having Grace being played by a BIPOC actress would also help explain why she is so afraid to speak up. She knows she does not belong in Daddy Warbucks world as she literally is a different color from it, and as such is fearful to speak her mind. In truth she can be portrayed as an despite taking place over 70 years after slavery was abolished the only was a BIPOC woman can get anywhere in the America is to be a servant to the Rich White Man. Grace also being played by a BIPOC Actress would also help play into the resentment Hannigan clearly feels towards her. 

Annie being white would theoretically allow the the production to play into race being a learned concept. My issue with a BIPOC and more specifically black Annie, would be it cuts into the racial dynamic of having a black Miss Hannigan. Can Miss Hannigan still use her race as a reason for her being a victim of circumstance, if a black Annie can simply fall into good fortune of being picked by Grace? It might still work if all the other orphans are explicitly white, and Hannigan treats Annie harsher because she knows how cruel the real world will be to her compared to the other girls simply because of her skin color. 

By going with a BIPOC Miss Hannigan though, I really hope and feel like they are going to explore the political subtext of Annie, which is still extremely relevant despite being set nearly 90 years ago. 

JSquared2
#191NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 1:31pm

bdn223 said: "jlindsey865 said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "So curious to see who will be playing Grace."

The more I think about it, the more I hope it's Mandy Moore. The filming of the final season of "This Is Us" could be an issue though.
"

See I hope they go with a BIPOC Grace, and a white Annie and Daddy Warbucks, especially if they keep the political subplots. In my opinion this could emphasis the failures of the political and economic system and the need for the social safety nets brought about by FDR. In truth this could be played as an allusionto the modern systematic racism.Miss Hannigan as a BIPOC most certainly can emphasize that she is not "evil", but is a victim of circumstance and simply doing what she needs to to survive. In truth this would help Henson ground her Hannigan, and make her less of the caricature that she has become in most regional theater performances. Having Grace being played by a BIPOC actress would also help explain why she is so afraid to speak up. She knows she does not belong in Daddy Warbucks world as she literally is a different color from it, and as such is fearful to speak her mind. In truth she can be portrayed as an despite taking place over 70 years after slavery was abolished the only was a BIPOC woman can get anywhere in the America is to be a servant to the Rich White Man. Grace also being played by a BIPOC Actress would also help play into the resentment Hannigan clearly feels towards her.

Annie being white would theoretically allow the the production toplay into race being a learned concept. My issue with a BIPOC and more specifically blackAnnie, would be it cuts into the racial dynamic of having a black Miss Hannigan. Can Miss Hannigan still use her race as a reason for her being a victim of circumstance, if a black Annie can simply fall into good fortune of being picked by Grace? It might still work if all the other orphans are explicitly white, and Hannigan treats Annie harsher because she knows how cruel the real world will be to her compared to the other girls simply because of her skin color.

By going with a BIPOC Miss Hannigan though, I really hope and feel like they are going to explore the political subtext of Annie, which is still extremely relevant despite being set nearly 90 years ago.
"

You're overthinking this a bit -- it's still Annie.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#192NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 2:39pm

Yes, the same Annie with "We'd Like to Thank You, Herbert Hoover" and "A New Deal for Christmas."

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#193NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 4:03pm

My money is on John Stamos for Bert Healy.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#194NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 5:30pm

You all said Mandy Moore for Grace and now I’m picturing and wondering what a Milo Ventimiglia as Rooster would be and sound like…

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#195NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 6:52pm

The Telsey Office put out their casting notice for the title role today - the search will be online. Rehearsals for "Annie Live!" are set for October/November in New York prior to a December 2 live broadcast on NBC.

You heard it here first folks!

Oh look, a bibu!

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#196NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 8:47pm

CarlosAlberto said: "Taraji P Henson?!?!?! NOW I am interested. And yes she can sing. Watch Tyler Perry’s I Can Do Bad All By Myself where she slays Aretha’s “Rock Steady”."

She didn't do her own singing in the film. That was Cheryl Pepsi Riley providing her vocals. 

Darreyl with an L!

BwayLB
#197NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 8:48pm

Jordan Levinson said: "The Telsey Office put out their casting noticefor the title role today - the search will be online. Rehearsals for "Annie Live!" areset for October/November in New York prior to a December 2 live broadcast on NBC.

You heard it here first folks!
"

I read the notice and it’ll be live from New York. I wonder how they’ll incorporate it.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#198NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 8:51pm

McArdle has got to be Lily right?

BCfitasafiddle
#199NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 8:59pm

Tag said: "McArdle has got to be Lily right?"

No. Although, maybe Eleanor Roosevelt... ? cheeky Sorry, Andrea.