pixeltracker

THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced

THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 5/24/21 at 1:09pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Dylln-Burnside-Keith-David-Luke-James-More-to-Star-in-THOUGHTS-OF-A-COLORED-MAN-Opening-on-Broadway-on-October-31-20210524

Today, producers Brian Moreland, Ron Simons, Diana DiMenna, Samira Wiley, Sheryl Lee Ralph, The Shubert Organization, and The Nederlander Organization announced complete casting for Thoughts of a Colored Man, the new play by Keenan Scott II, directed by Steve H. Broadnax III. The ensemble cast will feature Dyllón Burnside (FX's "Pose,"THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced, Bryan Terrell Clark (Hamilton), Da'Vinchi (Showtime's upcoming "Black Mafia Family"THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced, Grammy Award® nominee Luke James (Showtime's "The Chi"THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced, Tony Award® nominee Forrest McClendon (The Scottsboro Boys), Grammy Award nominee Tristan "Mack" Wilds (HBO's "The Wire"THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced, and Tony Award nominee and Emmy Award winner Keith David (Seven Guitars, OWN's "Greenleaf"THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced.

The limited engagement of Thoughts of a Colored Man will begin preview performances on Friday, October 1 making it the first new play on Broadway following the shutdown. The new play, which celebrates the vibrant and complex lives of Black men in America, will open Sunday, October 31 at Broadway's Golden Theatre (252 West 45th Street) pending Broadway's anticipated return with government approval and following health and safety guidelines.

As the sun rises on a single day in the pulsing heart of Brooklyn, seven Black men are about to discover the extraordinary - together. By Keenan Scott II, one of today's boldest new voices, Thoughts of a Colored Man blends spoken word, slam poetry, rhythm, and humor into a daringly universal new play. Welcome to the vibrant inner life of being Black, proud, and thriving in the 21st century.

This richly theatrical mosaic shines brilliant light onto these men, a tight-knit brotherhood, revealing their most triumphant selves. Their vibrant and vulnerable experiences and feelings reverberate far beyond the barbershops and basketball courts of their community. They reveal the deeply human hopes, joys, sorrows, fears, and dreams of all men, all people.

The creative team for Thoughts of a Colored Man includes music by Te'La and Brother Kamau, set design by Tony Award® nominee Robert Brill, co-costume design by Tony Award nominee and Drama Desk Award® winner Toni-Leslie James and Devario D. Simmons, lighting design by Ryan O'Gara, projection design by Tony and Drama Desk Award nominee Sven Ortel, and sound design by Mikaal Sulaiman. Calleri, Jensen, & David serve as casting directors for the production.

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
#2THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 5/24/21 at 1:17pm

Sounds interesting and I’m willing to watch anything that has Keith David in it.

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 5/24/21 at 1:20pm

When I saw the press release and the names Samira Wiley & Sheryl Lee Ralph I almost pissed myself. Then I saw they were just producers and made a sad face and said “Womp Womp” lol.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#4THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 5/24/21 at 1:40pm

Thanks so much Jacob, Ive been thinking about this since I saw it years ago. Looking forward. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#5THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 5/24/21 at 2:16pm

Tickets are available now on Telecharge Offers for Audience Rewards members. Enter THAUDREG or THAUDPRM for either standard or premium seats, respectively.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#6THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 5/24/21 at 6:25pm

They had me at Keith David! Amazing that it's been 15 years since his last (verrrrry short-lived) Bway appearance.

Dollypop
#7THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 5/24/21 at 7:40pm

I find the title to be offensive for today's audiences. Please revise it to THOUGHTS OF A PERSON OF COLOR.

Thank you

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 5/24/21 at 8:18pm

Dollypop said: "I find the title to be offensive for today's audiences. Please revise it to THOUGHTS OF A PERSON OF COLOR.

Thank you

"

HAHAHA - the original title is racist AND gender-specific!

Oh look, a bibu!

Sutton Ross
#9THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 5/24/21 at 8:19pm

God. Look at the creatives and get over it.

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#10THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 5/24/21 at 10:36pm

I am really fascinated to see if this show will get an audience. So many shows that I have been excited about did not.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 5/24/21 at 11:47pm

George in DC said: "I am really fascinated to see if this show will get an audience. So many shows that I have been excited about did not."

There are a lot of "important" plays coming to Broadway, and there is rarely room for more than one or two per season. The ones I've seen/read are really damn good, but it remains to be seen how much the Broadway ticketbuying demographic has evolved in the pandemic.

Plaza Suite and Birthday Candles could clean up pretty well if traditional theatergoers want lighter fare. (After Theatre Twitter finishes beating up those plays.)

edmundog2
#12THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 5/25/21 at 12:28pm

Keith David is definitely on my list of people to see live, so I'm all in.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#13THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 5/26/21 at 4:27pm

I picked up a pair of tickets, and I'm looking forward to it. My concern, though, is that after a year of seismic change in how this country thinks about race and racism, producers are rushing to fill open slots with serious Black plays, but they're launching them at perhaps the most uncertain moment Broadway has had. Certainly recently. We don't know what tourism will look like; we don't know how many people will be comfortable to sit shoulder to shoulder in a theatre; and we don't know what exactly people who do want to go out will be looking to see. I worry that great work is going to be done (I'm thinking specifically of this, Lackawanna Blues, and Trouble in Mind), but then, if people don't show up, producers might shrug it all off and say, "Well, we tried." Maybe that's cynical, but...we'll see.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 9/22/21 at 10:54am

Keith David has left the play due to "a private family matter," which is a real shame. He has been replaced by Esau Pritchett. ("Private family matter" could mean just that, or code word for fired/quit/artistic differences.)

Either way, hope we'll see Keith David back on Broadway sometime soon!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Esau-Pritchett-Joins-The-Cast-Of-THOUGHTS-FOR-A-COLORED-MAN-On-Broadway-20210922

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#15THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 9/22/21 at 11:00am

Well that’s a shame. He was the main reason I was looking forward to this one.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#16THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 9/22/21 at 11:44am

Well there goes my interest. Will wait for the reviews, I suppose.

Jesus saves. I spend.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 9/22/21 at 12:20pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Well that’s a shame. He was the main reason I was looking forward to this one."

Same –– he's the only marginally recognizable "name" in the cast. But no doubt there will be tons of cheap ticket availability.

Sutton Ross
#18THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 9/22/21 at 12:21pm

It's going to be really difficult to launch a new play on Broadway without a name. This kinda sucks. I will keep my tickets of course, but this is unfortunate news. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#19THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 9/22/21 at 12:50pm

I am familiar with Keith David but him not being in it is not a deal breaker for me. I am looking forward to seeing Dyllon Burnside onstage.

Just give the world Love.

troynow
#20THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 9/22/21 at 1:35pm

Seems to me, there are several men in this show that have names and credits. Luke James, Dyllon Burnside, Mack Wilds, Bryan Terrell Clark.

We see white plays all the time that are new with 1/2 the caliber of these men

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#21THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 9/22/21 at 2:08pm

Oh dear

Jesus saves. I spend.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#22THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 9/22/21 at 2:10pm

troynow said: "Seems to me, there are several men in this show that have names and credits. Luke James, Dyllon Burnside, Mack Wilds, Bryan Terrell Clark. We see white plays all the time that are new with 1/2 the caliber of these men"

It's not a matter of whether or not the "white plays" open, this is a discussion of recoupment and financial success. And it's near impossible for any play to succeed without star power (Bryan Cranston, Denzel Washington) or musical-sized spectacle (Curious Incident) or absolute love letters from critics/awards (like The Humans or August Osage).

Keith David is not a major name that sells out 7,000 seats a week –– he's maybe at the level of Bill Camp or Tracy Letts or Courtney B Vance –– but he is far more recognizable than all these other people.

And as always, "I know who that is" is far different than "enough people care about them deeply enough to sell 7,000 tickets a week for 15 weeks at an average price of $100."

Updated On: 9/22/21 at 02:10 PM

Sutton Ross
JSquared2
#24THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 9/22/21 at 2:26pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Keith David is not a major name that sells out 7,000 seats a week–– he's maybe at the level of Bill Camp or Tracy Letts or Courtney B Vance ––but he is far more recognizable than all these other people.

If you think that Keith David is on the same level of public recognition as any of the people you mention -- you're delusional and living in a bubble. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25THOUGHTS OF A COLORED MAN to open on October 31; cast announced
Posted: 9/22/21 at 3:07pm

JSquared2 said: "If you think that Keith David is on the same level of public recognition as any of the people you mention-- you're delusional and living in a bubble."

HA! Fair. Maybe I should have said Ted Levine or George Wendt.

EITHER WAY, he is not a major name, but he was a bigger name than anyone else in that cast.