pixeltracker

Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity

Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/8/21 at 8:22pm

As someone who has tickets to “Cinderella” and “Joseph” in a few weeks, I gotta say I’m starting to worry…

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#4Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/8/21 at 8:39pm

"They all prove that theatres are completely safe, the virus is not carried there"

...The hell? It's not carried in some of these 200 year old buildings? Lol...

I mean, I don't know the UK's state of virus, but that sounds like udder bunk.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#5Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/8/21 at 9:09pm

TheatreFan4 said: "I mean, I don't know the UK's state of virus, but that sounds like udder bunk."

udder bunk.  ok.  Is that what you get when you churn the cow's milk?

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 6/8/21 at 09:09 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/8/21 at 9:27pm

His shows could technically open with a reduced capacity audience, but he does not want to do that. The restrictions in the UK are solely on the audience and have nothing to do with what’s being presented on stage (which I’ve always found odd). Other big shows like Hairspray and Prince of Egypt are opening in a couple weeks also, but with a reduced capacity audience for the first month or so and they have bigger casts than Cinderella does.

If we’re just going by what’s already the law there, I have to say I do kind of side with ALW on this one. It’s much safer to be in the audience fully masked so if they DO hold back phase 4 reopening a few weeks, I hope they at least allow theatres to open at full capacity but make masks mandatory (which I don’t think they were going to be before).

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#7Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/8/21 at 10:32pm

TheatreFan4 said: ""They all prove that theatres are completely safe, the virus is not carried there"

...The hell? It's not carried in some of these 200 year old buildings? Lol...

I mean, I don't know the UK's state of virus, but that sounds like udder bunk.
"

He is referencing studies that have been done in multiple countries (including the UK), specifically looking at large events like this, that have found that, provided masks are worn, they don't pose a significantly heightened risk for transmission (with a group staying at home serving as the control group). He could have come up with a more, for lack of a better word, intelligent way to say it...but that's basically what he's saying.

Updated On: 6/8/21 at 10:32 PM

BroadwayRox3588
#8Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/8/21 at 10:34pm

Jordan Catalano said: "If we’re just going by what’s already the law there, I have to say I do kind of side with ALW on this one. It’s much safer to be in the audience fully masked so if they DO hold back phase 4 reopening a few weeks, I hope they at least allow theatres to open at full capacity but make masks mandatory (which I don’t think they were going to be before)."

I completely agree with this.

BroadwayRox3588
#9Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/8/21 at 10:38pm

Personally, though I wish he wouldn't get so confrontational about it, I think ALW has a point here. There have been studies in multiple countries (including the UK), that have shown that events with large, masked audiences do not significantly increase the risk for transmission. If the science says it's safe, which it has so far, I'm not sure how the government can justify putting an entire industry even more at risk. And I say this as someone who has been very cautious through this whole thing.

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#10Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/8/21 at 11:35pm

This blowhard is not going to be defying anyone.  He's after financial compensation, an idea that does have some merit.  Whenever someone these days says they've "seen" some study or another, it usually means they have some sort of ax to grind or it affects their own self-interest.  

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#11Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/8/21 at 11:46pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "There have been studies in multiple countries (including the UK), that have shown that events with large, masked audiences do not significantly increase the risk for transmission."

But are those venues old ass theatres with poor ventilation? The "Provided They're Masked" is really the sticking point about this... Once the lights are out, you kind of lose the ability to patrol that. Even movie theatres around here, as soon as people sit down the masks are off (when they were required). And those studies are controlled settings. 

I think at this point with vaccines, his point is sound. But leaving out that point like he did, that the virus just doesn't transmit inside a dusty old theatre provided everyone is on their best behavior just doesn't... Make much sense.

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#12Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 12:04am

ALW needs a fight slogan. Theater Seats Matter?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#13Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 12:28am

ALW has been embarrassing himself to no effect since the get-go. And this latest nonsense takes the cutglass flyswatter. The Delta variant is spreading rapidly in the UK. Does this idiot care? No, he is (like a good Tory) only concerned about the pocketbook. He says he has seen the science. And yet I was under the impression scientists articulated what science shows, not some tired old Tory composer with more money than brains. The scientists are warning against proceeding irresponsibly. I hope they do come arrest him, take him to the pokey, and let him rot there. 

What's going on in London is not the same as what's going on in New York City. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#14Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 12:46am

and let me add before the mob descends on my loins, the Tories have slashed funding for the arts in schools, so Mr. Conservative shouldn't hold his privileged breath waiting for a bailout.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#15Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 2:54am

"I've seen the science from the tests, don't ask me how," he says. "They all prove that theatres are completely safe, the virus is not carried there."

That's uneducated Trump-speak. I thought (hoped) we were moving away from that kind of public lunacy, but it seems yet another moron has decided to carry the torch...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#16Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 8:15am

Because the virus looks around and thinks, "Oooh....ART....can't go there."

What a ridiculous statement.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#17Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 9:14am

The UK is not requiring Vaccine Passports? If he stated that we would required audiences to be fully vaccinated I could be on his side, but once again "you don't know what happens when the lights go down". Which is one of the main reasons I don't go to movie theaters that require proof of vaccination.

briankershawjr
#18Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 9:17am

To all those complaining about ALW... why do you think Broadway is able to open, because they are using the science to make sure its safe to open. you do not have to agree with him...but Theaters are using the same science. 

Theater will die if we do not open up 100%, agree or disagree with me all you like....There is a safe way to open up they way he wants to open. I am happy that here in the US they are focusing on the science and how to open up safely. 

ALW has a show he is trying to mount. He's also a business man.....

The PM needs to listen to others outside his inner circle or he will lose support at the next election. Or worse he could lose the support to be the leader of his own party. 

I will add things are different there then America.....however I do support ALW in getting theaters back open. 

Alex Kulak2
#19Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 9:27am

If I can get one meme-able picture of ALW's mugshot, I'll forgive him for the Cats movie.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#20Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 9:51am

dramamama611 said: "Because the virus looks around and thinks, "Oooh....ART....can't go there."

What a ridiculous statement.
"

He decided he’d rather try “defying sanity”

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#21Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 10:55am

It's a publicity stunt to grab headlines as ever with ALW.

And just because he wants to open at full capacity doesn't mean audiences will follow this pied piper.

Princeton2
#22Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 11:58am

The studies he quotes on theatre safety are all on the earlier covid strains. Research is suggesting the Indian varient is even more contagious than the Kent one that caused our big 2nd wave and 3rd lockdown. Slowing down the easing of measures for a few more weeks to get more people fully vaccinated and try and get the variant under control makes sense.

June 21st has always been the earliest that all restrictions would end, it's never been a guarantee. The government have made that absolutely clear. Theatres are able to open, but like pretty much every business in the UK they have to adhere to social distancing at the moment.

I have zero sympathy for Alw. He has chosen to open cinderella just after the potential end of restrictions. Any idiot could have seen that there was always a high chance that date wouldn't happen, even money hungry Cameron Mackintosh is waiting until later in the summer and into the autumn.

I don't know why people are so obsessed with masks like they are some magic forcefield. They don't stop the virus, they can help but the science is inconclusive depending what study you use and as has been stated, it's impossible to patrol in a dark space. You can't just say wear a mask and that will solve everything.

SouthernCakes
#23Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 2:15pm

But shouldn’t you though? Shouldn’t you hope grown adults could follow rules? And just wear a damn mask and sanitize?!

Alex Kulak2
#24Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 2:26pm

SouthernCakes said: "But shouldn’t you though? Shouldn’t you hope grown adults could follow rules? And just wear a damn mask and sanitize?!"

4 million dead people later, I'm beginning to have my doubts regarding grown adults' capacity to follow rules.

Updated On: 6/9/21 at 02:26 PM

BroadwayRox3588
#25Andrew Lloyd Webber Threatens to Defy UK Government to Reopen Theatres at Full Capacity
Posted: 6/9/21 at 2:36pm

There's a very simple way to alleviate all of these concerns: just get the vaccine.

I personally don't think we (or any country) should hold entire industries in limbo, just because of people who refuse to be vaccinated. I was watching an interview with a player on the Washington Football Team, who said he wasn't going to get vaccinated until he got COVID. Why should entire industries have to continue suffering, to protect people like that? If people don't want to get vaccinated, that's their fault. NMP.

Updated On: 6/9/21 at 02:36 PM

Videos