pixeltracker

The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?

The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?

Playbill_Trash
#1The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 1:01pm

It was reported this week, both here and from Deadline, that Book of Mormon will return to Broadway this November and possibly update some material in the show.

Per BWW: "the show's creators will reportedly convene with actors to discuss potentially problematic instances in the script, according to Baz Bamingboye of the Daily Mail. This news came after twenty Black cast members from the original and current Broadway cast wrote a private letter to Matt Stone, Trey Parker, and Robert Lopez, expressing concerns."

From a March 2021 BWW report:

The creatives and some former cast members will have a reading/workshop and "During the reading, they will read through the show line-by-line, and sort out any problematic parts. "What's great about Matt and Trey is they'd rather close the show than make it feel PC and not funny," said [creator Robert] Lopez, before adding: "No one wants to close. We want to make it better."

Stone also spoke on the plans, saying, "I can't imagine trying to make a politically correct Book Of Mormon." "

I'm curious to hear from fans of the show or anyone that has seen it which specific parts of the show (specific dialogue or lyrics) you think may be potentially cut or re-written? (If any changes result from this workshop at all). What do you think the impact will be for censoring this art overall?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 1:08pm

I think it's good to be open to changes and discuss the specific details. However, in one article on this Nikki M James said "the creatives, she felt, had not fully understood what 'it meant for black artists to do what they were doing': uttering blasphemous curses" [among other things].

If push comes to shove, I hope the creatives do not budge for one second on the uttering of 'blasphemous curses'. This is 2021 not the Middle Ages - 'blasphemy' is not and should not be a crime or something to censor in a modern secular society. And the whole point of the show is to criticise religion. 

They might want to move forward on trying to reduce actual or perceived racism in the show - but they cannot budge on the criticism of religion. It's the whole point of the show.  

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/18/21 at 01:08 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#3The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 1:12pm

Playbill_Trash said: "What do you think the impact will be for censoring this art overall?"

No one is censoring anything. The creators are contemplating ways in which to make it resonate in the roaring 20s.

Playbill_Trash
#4The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 1:52pm

Binau, I agree. Any change to the criticism of religion would ruin the whole show and basically miss the whole message altogether. I think that’s why Matt and Trey said that they’d rather close the show than make it feel PC and not funny, and I’m glad they’re sticking to their guns.

Hogan, get a grip. The show has been frozen since 2011. So what do you think censorship means? Not your opinion, what do you think it means?

FindingNamo
#5The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 1:58pm

My personal reaction when I saw it was that I much preferred Act One where the butt of the jokes was Mormonism. I think it's good the creatives are at least engaging with the people who have played the roles. 

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#6The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 1:59pm

I don’t think it’s censorship, because Matt and trey aren’t being forced by anyone, except themselves, to make any changes. If the government were to walk into the Eugene O’Neil theatre demanding them to get rid of Hasa Disga Ebowai, then that’s censorship. This is not that. They are just updating the jokes to fit in the work of 2021. If you watched South Park in 2011, versus now. Their style of writing and jokes has changed drastically and I think for the better. I can’t wait to hear what new stuff they add in the show.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

JSquared2
#7The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 2:10pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I don’t think it’s censorship, because Matt and trey aren’t being forced by anyone, except themselves, to make any changes. If the government were to walk into the Eugene O’Neil theatre demanding them to get rid of Hasa Disga Ebowai, then that’s censorship. This is not that. They are just updating the jokes to fit in the work of 2021. If you watched South Park in 2011, versus now. Their style of writing and jokes has changed drastically and I think for the better. I can’t wait to hear what new stuff they add in the show."

You could say that they are being "forced" by the Woke Patrol via social media.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#8The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 2:19pm

The thing is the woke Twitter stans aren’t Matt and Treys target audience. They aren’t making the changes for them, they’re making the changes for themselves as well as the cast of the book of mormon.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

SouthernCakes
#9The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 2:26pm

Yeah I don’t see the Wok people coming for them they’re just maybe getting ahead of the curve. Same with Dr Seuss. Some stuff just doesn’t age well!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#10The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 2:28pm

As as an example, if they are suggesting to change or get rid of 'Hasa Disga Ebowai' I would hope they either find a cast that will perform it (no one is forcing them to take the job) or close the show in protest to make a statement. The show is about the criticism of religion and this song is a perfect illustration of why - there is so much terrible suffering in the world - especially in Africa - that of course it is a meaningful idea to express maybe there isn't a benevolent and all mighty loving god as many religious people would suggest. Stop trying to tell people they shouldn't be able to express this idea. We are meant to be a secular society that can state these ideas. Of course, no one has said they are getting rid of it so no need to create a storm about it yet. The fact that people seem to be coming for The Book of Mormon shows why the show is so important. 

This doesn't mean there shouldn't be ANY changes but the devil (no pun intended) is in the detail of what changes and why?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/18/21 at 02:28 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#11The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 3:06pm

Playbill_Trash said: "Hogan, get a grip. The show has been frozen since 2011. So what do you think censorship means? Not your opinion, what do you think it means?"

Some others beat me to the punch. To underscore, consistent with every English-language dictionary of which I am aware, "censorship can be conducted by governments, private institutions, and other controlling bodies." (Emphasis added.) That has not happened. 

Yes, social media etc may influence changes, but how is that different from opening out of town (or downtown), getting reviews criticizing some aspect of your show, and making changes to make it more resonant? (Hint: there are none, and no one would seriously call that censorship.)

As long as we are talking about meanings, let's discuss "woke." (And yes I realize it was not you who invoked the term.) "Woke" means "sensitive to social justice." It has been embraced by the radical Republican right as a pejorative. Should we assume that anyone using it here wishes they were storming the Capitol on January 6? I would hope that anyone who did not mean that might consider disavowing their usage lest we think less of them. And no, that's not censorship either. The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits? 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#12The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 3:30pm

SouthernCakes said: "Yeah I don’t see the Wok people coming for them they’re just maybe getting ahead of the curve. Same with Dr Seuss. Some stuff just doesn’t age well!"

Totally. 

Playbill_Trash
#13The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 4:41pm

It doesn’t sound like any of the new outrage is directed at the criticism of religion. The proposed changes will most likely be about race. And I agree completely with the sentiment that if anyone in the cast doesn’t want to say the material in the script then they can quit. They knew what the show was before it was performed for the public and that goes for any actor in any show.

I knew from when I first heard this story that it would come down to what exact changes they would make, so we’ll see. But the thing is, the nuance of the show makes it clear that the butts of all of the race jokes are the clueless white characters that don’t know how offensive and tone deaf they’re being. I think it’s clear in both acts, and comes to a head with a chorus of pasty white boys singing “I Am Africa”.

I can see how people are saying it may not have aged well. But it’s still a masterpiece.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#14The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 4:58pm

Maybe while they're in there, they could shave some length and drop the intermission. The show always felt at least a half-hour too long.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#15The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 10:08pm

Playbill_Trash said: "It doesn’t sound like any of the new outrage is directed at the criticism of religion. The proposed changes will most likely be about race. And I agree completely with the sentiment that if anyone in the cast doesn’t want to say the material in the script then they can quit. They knew what the show was before it was performed for the public and that goes for any actor in any show.

So what you're saying is that this show, that was made with no input from a single black person, should just have the black people in their cast shut up and dance and be happy they have a job? Is that what you're getting at? Because Book of Mormon is a success and works on the back of its Black cast. To act like actors sending the producers a letter explaining that they think there are problems within the show and those producers hearing them out and willing to change aspects of the show because this is a different world than 2011, CERTAINLY in the last year for which they've been closed, as some sort of censorship gone mad is just... well it's just plain stupid. Shows make changes. Shows add/remove scenes and songs all the time. Rewrite dialogue all the time. This is part of theatre, not censorship. 

I knew from when I first heard this story that it would come down to what exact changes they would make, so we’ll see. But the thing is, the nuance of the show makes it clear that the butts of all of the race jokes are the clueless white characters that don’t know how offensive and tone deaf they’re being. I think it’s clear in both acts, and comes to a head with a chorus of pasty white boys singing “I Am Africa”.

Listen, the writers of South Park don't know nuance. There is nothing nuanced in Book of Mormon, Trust. 

Playbill_Trash
#16The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/18/21 at 10:47pm

TheatreFan4 said: "Listen, the writers of South Park don't know nuance. There is nothing nuanced in Book of Mormon, Trust.”

Nah, I’m good. But thanks for letting us know you’re not someone worth trusting to understand nuance.

Also, let me guess, you’re white.

SouthernCakes
#17The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/19/21 at 1:05pm

I’d kinda agree! South Park is actually very nuanced. It might be a bit over the top but their social commentary is on point.

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#18The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/19/21 at 3:19pm

TBH there should be way more dumping on Mormonism in this show, which is less a religion and more a scam in line with Scientology. The fact that Parker and Stone got the OK from the Mormon church is frankly a demerit.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#19The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/19/21 at 5:44pm

Well, short of writing in "Joseph Smith Was Called a Prophet," I don't really know what more they can do.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#20The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/19/21 at 6:22pm

Charley Kringas Inc said: "TBH there should be way more dumping on Mormonism in this show, which is less a religion and more a scam in line with Scientology. The fact that Parker and Stone got the OK from the Mormon church is frankly a demerit."

Couple questions:

1. What does "should" mean in this context? Should there be way more dumping on serial killing in Sweeney Todd? I never knew that writers "should" tell a different story than the one they want to tell.

2. Can you explain this demerit thing? Were they members of some Mormon Temple cub scout troop?

Maybe the solution here is that they "should" write a musical about scientology. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#21The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/19/21 at 7:50pm

Charley Kringas Inc said: "TBH there should be way more dumping on Mormonism in this show, which is less a religion and more a scam in line with Scientology."

You know nothing.  That's a bull**** comment.  I'm very proud of my "Mormon" heritage.

Non sibi sed patriae

KFC1991
#22The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/19/21 at 7:52pm

Highland Guy said: "Charley Kringas Inc said: "TBH there should be way more dumping on Mormonism in this show, which is less a religion and more a scam in line with Scientology."

You know nothing. That's a bull**** comment. I'm very proud of my "Mormon" heritage.

"

Quit being so rude. Isn't that what you are always preaching? 

FindingNamo
#23The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/20/21 at 12:03am

People, is this any way to start a post-pandemic? Have compassion! Black actors have to say there are maggots on their balls.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#24The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/20/21 at 12:30am

Highland Guy said: "You know nothing. That's a bull**** comment. I'm very proud of my "Mormon" heritage."

why?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Owen22
#25The Book of Mormon to return November 2021 with potential revisions - possible edits?
Posted: 6/20/21 at 7:24am

I think sometimes satire is actually meant to offend. There are extremes surrounding the Ugandans in the show that some might find offensive but the tone of the show SHOULD protect it against any meaningful accusations of racism. But it's a different world than it was 18 months ago. The real loss of nuance we should be worried about is the line between typical comedy and satire being completely misunderstood.

Videos