Goodbye Aladdin

nativenewyorker2
#1Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 8:20pm

https://okmagazine.com/p/broadway-ready-pull-the-plug-aladdin-ticket-sales-dont-increase-says-source/

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#2Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 8:30pm

So... when they going to smash the glass on that filmed performance of it?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 8:32pm

It may be true that ALADDIN is bleeding money, but I cannot see Disney closing it without a tenant for its theatre. That real estate is far too valuable.

Is AIDA ready to go? I had missed (or forgotten) that they scrapped the Paper Mill production. Last word was that it might play Germany in 2022.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 8:36pm

Schele said she’s doing a new show, so is “Aida” even happening at all anymore?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 8:42pm

The title of this thread should be "Goodbye Aladdin (and 15-20 other Broadway shows by January)".

However, it is worth noting that OK!'s overall fact accuracy is absolutely atrocious, even when compared to other tabloids. Shows will close in January as per usual, but I'm taking the initial reports of a 2009-esque bloodbath with a grain of salt until a more reliable source chimes in.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 10/11/21 at 08:42 PM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#6Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 8:48pm

Um...really? OK Magazine?

Like, FFS...

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#7Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 8:53pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Schele said she’s doing a new show, so is “Aida” even happening at all anymore?"

I thought I heard somewhere that the reworked version of Aida is still on the table.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8Goodbye Aladdin

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "It may be true that ALADDIN is bleeding money, but I cannot see Disney closing it without a tenant for its theatre. That real estate is far too valuable.

Disney closed Mary Poppins nearly 6 months before announcing official B'way dates for Aladdin.

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9Goodbye Aladdin

Schele Williams is co-directing THE NOTEBOOK musical with Michael Greif, which opens in March 2022 and then will probably be headed for Broadway pending financing/theatre/schedules, produced by Kevin McCollum. She's also attached to Disney's HIDDEN FIGURES musical, which has not yet announced a writing team. Her Instagram bio says she's still directing AIDA.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#10Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 8:54pm

Jordan Levinson said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "It may be true that ALADDIN is bleeding money, but I cannot see Disney closing it without a tenant for its theatre. That real estate is far too valuable.

Disney closed Mary Poppins nearly 6 months before announcing official B'way dates for Aladdin.
"

Although I remember when Disney announced that Mary Poppins was going to close on Broadway, they mentioned that Aladdin was going to follow it into the New Amsterdam Theatre.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#11Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 8:56pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Jordan Levinson said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "It may be true that ALADDIN is bleeding money, but I cannot see Disney closing it without a tenant for its theatre. That real estate is far too valuable.

Disney closedMary Poppinsnearly 6 months before announcing official B'way dates for Aladdin.
"

Although I remember when Disney announced that Mary Poppins was going to close on Broadway, they mentioned that Aladdin was going to follow it into the New Amsterdam Theatre.
"

Oh, I almost forgot. The New Amsterdam underwent a renovation, so that's why it took almost a full year for Aladdin to take up the space.

Oh look, a bibu!

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#12Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 9:22pm

Wonder if Bedknobs & Broomsticks could make it's way over here?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#13Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 9:23pm

Can we get that Alex Timbers-directed Muppet musical, please?

Hairspray0901
#14Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 9:30pm

everythingtaboo said: "Um...really? OK Magazine?

Like, FFS...
"

This. Ok is one of the WORST tabloids in terms of accuracy.

SouthernCakes
#15Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 9:45pm

Any idea what Disney is gonna put into Disneyland?

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#16Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 10:04pm

OK Magazine isn't exactly known to be credible but who knows? 

A Mary Poppins musical revival sounds like so much fun. I feel like if Aladdin were to leave, another Disney production would land at the New Amsterdam.

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#17Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 10:07pm

"The source adds that Aladdin won't be the only show taking a hit, saying the slow months of January and February could see 15-20 Broadway shows shutting down for good."

The source says without elaborating?

MattieIce2018
#18Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 10:24pm

If Aladdin closing soon is true, weren't there rumors of a Beauty and the Beast revival before the pandemic?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#19Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 10:28pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Can we get that Alex Timbers-directed Muppet musical, please?"

Does he really have to direct everything?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#20Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 10:33pm

Let's get Beauty and the Beast in there please.......

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#21Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 10:33pm

Let's get Beauty and the Beast in there please.......

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#22Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 10:53pm

A lot of the shows people are speculating about here are "kid's shows" also. The reason ALADDIN could close is that kids are not coming back to Broadway for a while.

Dollypop
#23Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 11:11pm

When I last spoke with Charlie Stemp, he mentioned that there were talks about bringing the MARY POPPINS he's starring in to NY "soon".

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

SouthernCakes
#24Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 11:21pm

And it’s a touring set, no? So could be cost effective.

adotburr
#25Goodbye Aladdin
Posted: 10/11/21 at 11:58pm

Sutton Ross said: "Let's get Beauty and the Beast in there please....... "

^^^^ I would like this a lot. 

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

Videos