pixeltracker

TINA's future (November 2021 and beyond)- Page 2

TINA's future (November 2021 and beyond)

VintageSnarker
#25TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 3:13am

RippedMan said: "Yeah, I agree the bio-musical needs a rest. It's always "you're not a star" "I'll show you i'm a star" "Hey, look, i'm a star." Throw in some terrible parenting, abusive partner, and you've got all the shows."

I think I generally prefer the bio-musicals (Jersey Boys, The Cher Show, On Your Feet) because you know what you're getting even if it's not that great. I like Mamma Mia and Cruel Intentions but so many of the regular jukebox musicals (Moulin Rouge, Head Over Heels, Jagged Little Pill) are a mess for no good reason. When they're not tied to one artist's songs, it's even more egregious.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#26TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 8:15am

I love Tina Turner and her music, but if I were going to NY I wouldn't include it on my list of shows to see. If it came in my subscription series, I'd be fine with it. 

Although, I find it interesting that when I watched the GMA performance with Nkeki and thought that she looked and sounded great. She seemed more like Tina to me than Adrienne Warren.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

gibsons2
#27TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 10:04am

SouthernCakes said: "Isn’t that kind of inherent to the show? I mean, the show is centered on the star who is a star, ya know? Puts a lot of pressure on the lead performer. It’s similar to seeing The Cher Show. No one wants to see a Cher impression. We have seen that. I think both of these shows would have been better served going the Mamma Mia route. Great catalog of music, but Tina and Cher are icons above their catalog, so it’s tough to find an actress who can embody all of that 8x a week.

We shall see how MJ fares….
"

I'm really hopeful about MJ, just based on who the playwright is.

Unfortunately, thinking that The Cher Show would last longer, I completely missed it. But I do distinctly remember that it was marketed as the show about Cher, not a show about Stephanie J. Block. I think from very beginning Tina's major selling point was Adrienne, because she is truly phenomenal in this role and yes, "impersonates" Tina Turner perfectly. There are no irreplaceable people of course, but for the show to continue with any other lead actor they should've fixed the script. It was painful to watch. 

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#28TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 10:04am

I had no desire to see this to begin with, but the GMA performance did nothing to change my mind.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

dave1606
#29TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 10:24am

I caught the show last night with Adrienne and I was shocked that the mezz was half full on her last week in the show. 

Adrienne was absolutely incredible last night and watching that GMA performance shows just how central her performance was to this show. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#30TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 11:42am

dan94 said: "I think there's an interesting play in there somewhere that Katori Hall could write about Tina Turner, but the songs as used are bizarre and not slotted well."

This this this. This show would be 50% better if they cut all the "character songs" and made it a play-with-music about Turner's life. Keep all the same production value, just have all the songs happen as diegetic music (songs performed in the concert or recording studio or rehearsal scenes) with the megamix at the end.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#31TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 11:42am

Phantom's ticket sales look equally poor....I'm hoping that tourism picks up around the holidays to give any struggling shows a boost.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#32TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 11:53am

I would never bet against PHANTOM and CHICAGO, but I think CHICAGO in particular is nearing the end.

With PHANTOM, I could see it (unfortunately) reducing its running cost (orchestra/cast) before announcing it will close.

kwoc91
#33TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 11:54am

FANtomFollies said: "Phantom's ticket sales look equally poor....I'm hoping that tourism picks up around the holidays to give any struggling shows a boost."

I hope so too. I just looked up tickets for GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY around Thanksgiving, and they were not offering the balcony as a seating option. I'm seeing AMERICAN UTOPIA around that time as well, and that was the same re: balcony seating.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#34TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 11:56am

Again, with kids able to start getting vaccinated possibly by the end of next week, the holiday season should be a lot more “normal” for Broadway. I personally know quite a few parents out of state who are just waiting to pull the trigger on Christmas vacations until the day they’re able to take their kids to get vaxxed.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#35TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 12:11pm

I definitely think the vaccine for under 12s will make a difference in overall tourism during the holiday season (and even in locals going out - I have friends who have not been to a restaurant with their kids since 3/2020). But I don't think this will move the needle on in-trouble shows like Phantom and Chicago since elementary school kids are not a part of those audiences.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#36TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 12:18pm

In addition to titles already announced to close in January, we will almost certainly see the closing of:

1) Thoughts of a Colored Man
2) Tina
3) American Utopia
4) Girl From the North Country
5) Diana

But then there's a second tier of shows that are a little harder to predict because we don't know how much seats are going for. If most of the above announce closing, it can be beneficial to be a show with inventory because then you become a darling for Group Sales agents and the TKTS booth:

6) Ain't Too Proud
7) Jagged Little Pill
8. To Kill A Mockingbird (if no star)
9) possibly Chicago

So the "safe for now" titles appear to be:

Aladdin, Mormon, CFA, DEH, Hadestown, Hamilton, Harry Potter, Lion King, Moulin Rouge, Doubtfire (looks to be selling well by Telecharge, OR they're just limited what tickets they show online), Phantom, Six, Wicked

Updated On: 10/27/21 at 12:18 PM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#37TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 2:19pm

kwoc91 said: "FANtomFollies said: "Phantom's ticket sales look equally poor....I'm hoping that tourism picks up around the holidays to give any struggling shows a boost."

I hope so too. I just looked up tickets for GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY around Thanksgiving, and they were not offering the balcony as a seating option. I'm seeing AMERICAN UTOPIA around that time as well, and that was the same re: balcony seating.
"

Looking at Girl From the North Country for the next week is really bad. Balcony is closed and the Orch and Mezz are at most 20% sold for certain dates. I think I should probably make it into the city soon to see it.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

BwayStarlette
#38TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 4:27pm

I'm returning to New York in a few months and although I hear "Tina" isn't great, I love Tina Turner so I want to see it. But that seating chart has me worried it won't be around. But, I keep hearing from a few friends that there is all of this grant money (from the government? I think?)  to keep shows going even if they aren't selling tickets, like millions of dollars? Can someone please explain these grants to me, and does that mean that Tina will most likely be around in February 22 because it has all of this money?  As a Broadway nerd, I really do want to understand the business better because I want to work on Broadway someday!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#39TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/27/21 at 5:21pm

@starlette google SVOG. I am pretty sure Tina received $10 million but you can easily check. I can't won't make any predictions on timing.

BwayStarlette
#40TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/28/21 at 11:51am

HogansHero said: "@starlette google SVOG. I am pretty sure Tina received $10 million but you can easily check. I can't won't make any predictions on timing."

Thank you.You're right, Tina got 10 million, and I found the list, thanks. Is that SVOG list for real? That is a crazy list! I thought it was only for shows and museums. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#41TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/28/21 at 11:57am

There have been reports that 50% of sales for most shows have been happening week-of. That's indeed scary for producers, but I think it's worth remembering when scoping out seats weeks out.

kwoc91
#42TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/28/21 at 12:06pm

Huss417 said: "kwoc91 said: "FANtomFollies said: "Phantom's ticket sales look equally poor....I'm hoping that tourism picks up around the holidays to give any struggling shows a boost."

"

Looking at Girl From the North Country for the next week is really bad. Balcony is closed and the Orch and Mezz are at most 20% sold for certain dates. I think I should probably make it into the city soon to see it.
"

My friend got GFTNC tickets via TDF for Saturday's evening performance. I just looked at the Telecharge page and it looks like there's maybe 200 total seats currently sold for that performance.

I loved the show and am glad I get to see it again (hopefully with a better seat this time!), but yes I definitely recommend coming ASAP if you want to see it.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#43TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/28/21 at 12:48pm

BJR said: "There have been reports that 50% of sales for most shows have been happening week-of. That's indeed scary for producers, but I think it's worth remembering when scoping out seats weeks out."

Yes, but even if we assume shows double their numbers week-of-show, that's still less than half full for some shows like Tina and Girl from the North Country. And some of those week-of sales are discounted (discount codes, TKTS, TDF, rush/lotto). Weekends almost always do better than weeknights, but these numbers are bleak.

What we never know is what a show's daily "wrap" is averaging. The wrap is the amount of money & tickets sold each day for any performance –– so yesterday's wrap (which the general manager would send this morning) includes day-of sales, but also tickets bought yesterday for next month, or next week, or tomorrow. The numbers will vary wildly show to show, and depending on if there's something like a big new advertising campaign or reviews.

mpkie
#44TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/28/21 at 6:40pm

Funny, I was just wondering how this show could survive. I went for Adrienne Warren, but she was out, so I was super bummed. I wasn't a fan at all, the pacing is awkward and a mess. Nkeki is technically proficient but her voice is grating on Tina's songs. I think she's talented, just wrong for the role.

The show just isn't good storytelling, and nothing else was interesting enough to distract from a bad book. In the middle of the first act I wanted it to be over. It didn't get better in Act 2. I swear the guy next to me was falling asleep, he looked so bored.

I read Tina's wiki after... Her life is interesting and this was a lot of wasted potential.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#45TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/28/21 at 7:19pm

TINA was all about seeing Adrienne Warren's breathtaking performance portraying Tina nothing else! Once she's gone the show is done no reason to see it!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

RWPrincess
#46TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/28/21 at 7:31pm

I have a friend flying in from California for Christmas week so I priced out a bunch of shows earlier today. All had ample availability. I think people might just be waiting longer to buy tickets.

That said, I've seen the show with both Adrienne and Nkeki and both are awesome. Different but awesome. My parents saw the show last weekend with Nkeki and loved it. They didn't care who played Tina. I think the casual theater visitor would have a similar impression. 

Zion24
#47TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)
Posted: 10/28/21 at 9:58pm

RWPrincess said: "I have a friend flying in from California for Christmas week so I priced out a bunch of shows earlier today. All had ample availability. I think people might just be waiting longer to buy tickets.

That said, I've seen the show with both Adrienne and Nkeki and both are awesome. Different but awesome. My parents saw the show last weekend with Nkeki and loved it. They didn't care who played Tina. I think the casual theater visitor would have a similar impression.
"

absolutely. there is a tiny minority of Bway nerds who care whether Warren is in or not, and most of them have already seen it, or won't due to distance, travel etc . The show = Tina's music, and even if Nkeki is performing poorly (I think I saw Kayla Davison, who was phenomenal), that would be a post-show gripe by audience members, not a reason to stay away from the show to average ticket buyer. I really think its foolish to delude oneself into thinking this show would do any better with Warren sticking around longer.

Zion24
#48TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)

RWPrincess said: "I have a friend flying in from California for Christmas week so I priced out a bunch of shows earlier today. All had ample availability. I think people might just be waiting longer to buy tickets.

"

absolutely. there is a tiny minority of Bway nerds who care whether Warren is in or not, and most of them have already seen it, or won't due to distance, travel etc . The show = Tina's music, and even if Nkeki is performing poorly (I think I saw Kayla Davison, who was phenomenal), that would be a post-show gripe by audience members, not a reason to stay away from the show to average ticket buyer. I really think its foolish to delude oneself into thinking this show would do any better with Warren sticking around longer.

Zion24
#49TINA's future doesn't look good (November 2021 and beyond)

"