pixeltracker

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews & Reviews- Page 5

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews & Reviews

ahhrealmonsters
#100KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/15/21 at 3:02pm

This Sunday's 7 pm performance is on TDF. See you there!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#101KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/15/21 at 3:07pm

JasonC3 said: "Larry6417 said: "I cannot understand why this show isn't already sold out.

Great seats are still available at $101.

(I am not in the production, nor an employee of the production or the theatre.)
"

I loved the show, but in my circle of theater-going friends, there was not a lot of interest in shelling out $100 for the subject matter. Many felt they had seen a similar story too many times already in movies.
"

Hold on. Many felt they have seen a story about a woman who is in her 60s but in a 16 year old's body before? I didn't know this was common subject matter. 

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#102KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/16/21 at 6:10pm

Seeing this next month and I'm super excited to see a new Tesori musical!

JasonC3
#103KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/16/21 at 7:07pm

@RippedMan

LOL.  More the general concept of age and reality not coinciding.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#104KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/5/22 at 12:10pm

Victoria Clark and Director Jessica Stone did not correct the host in the interview when she said twice at the beginning and end the show is hoping for a spring Broadway transfer so I'm guessing they really are gunning for it. Must be a little hard to find investors during a pandemic though! 

https://www.wnyc.org/story/kimberly-akimbo/?fbclid=IwAR1MOz9rNheS8xO0ueRnX4f0ft4H9_Ff1_dOD3RFPE5h1OioBmsP92q_w_0

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#105KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/5/22 at 12:37pm

I’m hearing it is all but confirmed for the Golden. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#106KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/5/22 at 12:59pm

I love almost everyone involved, but I really don't think that this extremely slight show justifies a Broadway production. It's not new or strong or out there enough in presentation or writing to be really interesting for a hip crowd, but it's also not very appealing to a more traditional Broadway audience. And ultimately, it's not very coherent or satisfying as a musical. To me it's a classic "Why?" show, a pretty good play being musicalized to no great advantage. I guess the idea is that it's a great star vehicle for Victoria Clark, but she is hardly a marquee name outside of the local theater circles who would already be seeing it at the Atlantic. Maybe I'm wrong. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#107KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/5/22 at 1:10pm

I would love to see this transfer.....next year. Broadway is too delicate at the moment, let things settle before trying to open a production that isn't commercial. But regardless, I'm glad this cast and creative team are getting more stage time. Clark is coming for that second Tony!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#108KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/5/22 at 1:12pm

I agree with your entire post, Scarywarhol. I found the show charming enough that I'm rooting for its success from the sidelines. But if I were a producer or an investor, I would not have put eggs in this basket. Not just because I share your criticisms of the piece itself, but also because the marketability reasons you mentioned.

The only way I see this show being successful is if it wins a bunch of Tonys - and I guess they feel like it has a good shot because it's a weak season, and because the show is sort of up their alley. It's not based on a corporate property or a pop songbook, and it's written by respected artists - and we've seen in recent years that the voters like to award shows like that. But if the voters want to go the "artsy Off-Broadway transfer" route, I think they're more likely to give it to Strange Loop or even Girl From the North Country. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#109KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/5/22 at 1:14pm

In any year, but especially this crazy year, I cannot see this succeeding financially without a Tony WIN for Best Musical. It is too esoteric and "cute." Even another love letter from the NYT probably won't be enough. And frankly, Kimberly Akimbo is really poorly directed and designed...it doesn't have the slickness of other small winners like FUN HOME or DEH.

We already have two frontrunners for Musical and Score (Six and A Strange Loop), which are more contemporary/"diverse" than Kimberly.

Best Actress is stacked, with Sharon D. Clarke being the frontrunner to win. Victoria Clark and Jeanine Tesori do not sell tickets to the masses.

This feels like an AMELIE or THE VISIT situation. There's no world in which mass audiences are going to want to spend $100+ on this show.

Updated On: 1/5/22 at 01:14 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#110KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/5/22 at 1:30pm

I agree that it would be better for this show to transfer next year for multiple reasons, including its survival, but I’m surprised by some of the opinions here. I thought this was a masterpiece and the best musical I’ve seen so far this season. It should easily beat Six or A Strange Loop for Best Score in my opinion. It also got some of the best reviews of the season, so it’s got that at least.

VintageSnarker
#111KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/5/22 at 3:35pm

Scarywarhol said: "I love almost everyone involved, but I really don't think that this extremely slight show justifies a Broadway production. It's not new or strong or out there enough in presentation or writing to be really interesting for a hip crowd, but it's also not very appealing to a more traditional Broadway audience. And ultimately, it's not very coherent or satisfying as a musical. To me it's a classic "Why?" show, a pretty good play being musicalized to no great advantage. I guess the idea is that it's a great star vehicle for Victoria Clark, but she is hardly a marquee name outside of the local theater circles who would already be seeing it at the Atlantic. Maybe I'm wrong."

Agreed. There are definitely more abrasive parts of it worth digging into. But those are the same elements you have to abandon if you want to just make it wholesome and uplifting family fare. The middle ground musical they have right now is pleasant but I personally didn't find it challenging or cathartic. Just a fine show with a fantastic cast. Of course, I also skipped Dear Evan Hansen at Second Stage so I'm bad at predictions. 

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#112KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/5/22 at 4:02pm

What's the latest that a transfer show like this could start previews and open in time to be eligible for the Tonys?

I'm thinking of doing an early April trip. f Kimberly Akimbo transfers, I'd love to catch it. (I love Bonnie Milligan).

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#113KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/5/22 at 4:04pm

I think the physical production might change from off-Bway to Broadway. They've got more space, etc. Fun Home changed completely so it's hard to tell. But we could have a battle of the Off-Broadway darlings. It was labeled as the best new musical of the season. So I could see why they'd transfer.

Collingswood
#114KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/6/22 at 11:21pm

Absolutely this show will transfer sometime this year and there will be changes to improve this terrific musical.

Collingswood
#115KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/6/22 at 11:21pm

Absolutely this show will transfer sometime this year and there will be changes to improve this terrific musical.

VintageSnarker
#116KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/6/22 at 11:33pm

RippedMan said: "I think the physical production might change from off-Bway to Broadway. They've got more space, etc."

I guess I can see a thematic argument but it would make very little sense to keep the same claustrophobic production in a bigger theater. The scenes at Kimberly's house and the transitions could especially use some more breathing room.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#117KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/7/22 at 4:29am

I would be very interested to see how they may expand the ice skating when this moves to Broadway.

I was in row A at the Atlantic and did not get the whole picture during these scenes and think that a larger space would really help.

kurtal
#118KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/8/22 at 1:36pm

From Bonnie Milligan's Instagram page today:

A picture of her in rehearsals for Kimberly Akimbo with the following caption...

"...Truly had the best time creating this insanity with these brilliantly hilarious people.  Be sure to follow @thesoundguyfilm for all updates, including some news dropping on 1/10!"

Perhaps a transfer announcement?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#119KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/8/22 at 1:52pm

That’s not Kimberly Akimbo. It’s a short film called The Sound Guy.

SouthernCakes
#120KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/8/22 at 2:18pm

Melissa25 said: "I would be very interested to see how they may expand the ice skating when this moves to Broadway.

I was in row A at the Atlantic and did not get the whole picture during these scenes and think that a larger space would really help.
"

This is my main complaint with off-Broadway to Bway transfers. Dear Evan Hansen should have been rethought instead they just plopped down the same show. Why is the band in a loft? Does that add to the story? 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#121KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/8/22 at 6:24pm

It’s a design choice, nothing to do with space. 

broadwayindie
#122KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:47pm

I really hope they wait to transfer this. I feel like it would need to win to survive on Broadway. I REALLY enjoyed this show and it's sure to get many nominations this season, but I don't know if it is likely to win anything. I'm hopeful that a show like this would be able to find an enduring fan base that would love it regardless of the awards, but I think it may have a better chance of succeeding next season.

Collingswood
#123KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/9/22 at 4:05pm

broadwayindie said: "I really hope they wait to transfer this. I feel like it would need to win to survive on Broadway. I REALLY enjoyed this show and it's sure to get many nominations this season, but I don't know if it is likely to win anything. I'm hopeful that a show like this would be able to find an enduring fan base that would love it regardless of the awards, but I think it may have a better chance of succeeding next season."

The more I think about it, strategically, it's probably the best thing to do. Give them time to adjust the set to a bigger b'way house, tweak it here and there, and then open in the fall/late winter. 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#124KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 1/12/22 at 11:43pm

Amish Evil Oculist.  That’s my anagram for “I love this musical.”  I revisited this lovely show again today and have to say that it is the best thing I have seen since Hadestown.  My fingers are crossed that this moves to Circle in the Square or the Booth and we get a cast recording soon.  Everyone in the cast is brilliant.  I am still on such a high after attending the matinee.

Updated On: 1/13/22 at 11:43 PM