Rudin productions

Ke3
#1Rudin productions
Posted: 12/24/21 at 4:20pm

I've seen on this board that Rudin had allegedly purchased the rights to Mame and was interested in Audra for Gypsy (although I can't imagine she would've done it considering what he did to her with Shuffle Along). My question though is what happens to these rights now that he's on a break from producing? How long can he hold the rights without doing an actual production? Are there standard terms?

Theatrefanboy1
#2Rudin productions
Posted: 12/24/21 at 9:30pm

He was also working on a production of little night music with cate Blanchett and Julie andrews.  

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#3Rudin productions
Posted: 12/24/21 at 10:56pm

Julie Andrews? She said she lost her voice post surgery in 1997 and sued Mt Sinai. Is it back or not necessary in show?

"Shortly after, she had surgery to remove what she thought were ‘non-cancerous nodules’ from her throat at New York’s Mount Sinai Hospital. The surgery left her with permanent damage that destroyed her voice."

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/julie-andrews-depression-losing-voice-operation/

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#4Rudin productions
Posted: 12/24/21 at 11:04pm

It rendered her upper range (the part everyone loved) useless, but as she herself joked, she can do a mean "Old Man River." She has a bit of a lower range, similar to that in which Madame Armfeldt was originally written, and it can very easily be "speak-sung," as the performances of both Margaret Hamilton and Elaine Stritch attest.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#5Rudin productions
Posted: 12/24/21 at 11:30pm

Yep, Stritch practically spoke the entire song, brilliantly. Is that really true he was working on a new Night Music? 

Theatrefanboy1
#6Rudin productions
Posted: 12/25/21 at 1:10am

Yes.  According to the people I knew close to him it was very much true. Back in 2019. The plan had been the Music Man 2020(Hugh and Sutton), Little Night Music 2021/2 (Julie And Cate), Gypsy 2022/3 (with the intent of Audra). And he had one more I want to say it was Follies or Mame. But I could be mistaken. I was told about them back in 2019 in a conversation. 

it really disappoints me that the night music will now likely never happen without him 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#7Rudin productions
Posted: 12/25/21 at 5:10am

I mean, all of those productions sound like they would have been must-see events. While I don’t doubt the man could make things happen is there really no one else that can fill this vacuum? It might have been a struggle to mount an Audra Gypsy without him but a production of Night Music with Cate Blanchett and Julie Andrews would sound like the easiest thing in the world to get investment* and a creative A team 

* assuming they would commit to 6 months of performances, any less and maybe it’s a tougher sell. 

Rudin is not the only person who has managed to get A-list celebrities and creative productions on the Broadway stage. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bwaydreamer
#8Rudin productions
Posted: 12/25/21 at 3:07pm

Hate to break it to people, and I don't like it either, but Rudin is still VERY MUCH working on most of his shows and pulling the strings still.  Most producers and actors have not really cut ties with him, or they are scared to because he wasn't "fully canceled" and they know he still has lots of power and will continue to.  So these shows are probably still very much alive, just with him lurking in the shadows (and raking in the dough).

Ke3
#9Rudin productions
Posted: 12/25/21 at 7:00pm

bwaydreamer said: "Hate to break it to people, and I don't like it either, but Rudin is still VERY MUCH working on most of his shows and pulling the strings still. Most producers and actors have not really cut ties with him, or they are scared to because he wasn't "fully canceled" and they know he still has lots of power and will continue to. So these shows are probably still very much alive, just with him lurking in the shadows (and raking in the dough)."

I've thought about this a lot. The statement from TMM clearly said he was stepping aside from that specific production. He's never once said he's done producing, and I don't think he is. It'd be better if he was, but we'll see what happens

Stephen Hladik
#10Rudin productions
Posted: 12/25/21 at 7:26pm

Someone on here also said he was looking to do ALNM with Michelle Pfeiffer.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11Rudin productions
Posted: 12/25/21 at 8:00pm

If SR was still “working on” his productions, we would have found out. It’s too hard to keep that a secret.

Now, perhaps Barry Diller still consults him about certain MUSIC MAN things. And maybe Sorkin and Bob Wankel still speak to him. But I cannot imagine he has much real involvement with anything.

Toni Collette’s MAME was supposed to be the next one, but it’s unlikely that another producer would jump on an expensive revival of that property and star. She just doesn’t mean enough, and neither does the show.

SouthernCakes
#12Rudin productions
Posted: 12/26/21 at 12:26am

Rewatching RuPaul drag race season 11 and during snatch game they mention “hey I’m not Harvey Weinstein. I never assaulted anybody.” 

Just interesting it was common knowledge then and yet nothing happened until this year. 

carnzee
#13Rudin productions
Posted: 12/26/21 at 8:40am

bwaydreamer said: "Hate to break it to people, and I don't like it either, but Rudin is still VERY MUCH working on most of his shows and pulling the strings still. Most producers and actors have not really cut ties with him, or they are scared to because he wasn't "fully canceled" and they know he still has lots of power and will continue to. So these shows are probably still very much alive, just with him lurking in the shadows (and raking in the dough)."

I hope so because I'd love to see some of these productions. But I doubt we will. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#14Rudin productions
Posted: 12/26/21 at 8:47am

Well, in terms of Weinstein…the NYT/New Yorker exposes were in 2018, that season of RPDR was in 2019. Weinstein was convicted early last year.

Back to Rudin.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.
Updated On: 12/26/21 at 08:47 AM

JasonC3
#15Rudin productions
Posted: 12/26/21 at 9:09am

I badly need the interrupted production of Virginia Woolf to be remounted. To miss seeing Laurie Metcalf in that is one of the biggest regrets of my life.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#16Rudin productions
Posted: 12/26/21 at 9:33am

JasonC3 said: "I badly need the interrupted production of Virginia Woolf to be remounted. To miss seeing Laurie Metcalf in that is one of the biggest regrets of my life."

After the incredible buzz she and the production were generating, I quickly bought a ticket for Friday March 13, 2020.  Broadway shutdown on Thursday March 12, 2020. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#17Rudin productions
Posted: 12/26/21 at 9:37am

I had heard a few years ago Rudin was also developing a revival of Threepenny Opera, with a new translation by Tony Kushner. No idea how far along that was, or if it was even true. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

carnzee
#18Rudin productions
Posted: 12/26/21 at 10:58am

BrodyFosse123 said: "JasonC3 said: "I badly need the interrupted production of Virginia Woolf to be remounted. To miss seeing Laurie Metcalf in that is one of the biggest regrets of my life."

After the incredible buzz she and the production were generating, I quickly bought a ticket for Friday March 13, 2020. Broadway shutdown on Thursday March 12, 2020.

"

Well, I guess the one bright spot for me about that production ending is you didn't get to see it. Ha ha. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#19Rudin productions
Posted: 12/26/21 at 11:27am

carnzee said: "Well, I guess the one bright spot for me about that production ending is you didn't get to see it. Ha ha."

Well, with all due respect, I DID see it and have a few times.  Just not live during its short preview run.  

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#20Rudin productions
Posted: 12/26/21 at 11:31am

In terms of new musicals, he was also working on the Adam Guettel/Bob Martin/Bart Sher musical MILLIONS; THE BLACK CLOWN (which had premiered at Mostly Mozart in 2019); and a Justin Peck dance piece.

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#21Rudin productions
Posted: 12/26/21 at 1:04pm

He’s also working on a revival of In My Life 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#22Rudin productions
Posted: 12/26/21 at 3:40pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "carnzee said: "Well, I guess the one bright spot for me about that production ending is you didn't get to see it. Ha ha."

Well, with all due respect, I DID see it and have a few times. Just not live during its short preview run.
"

By that logic I was present for the moon landing.

Videos