pixeltracker

West End CABARET Revival (and B’way Transfer?) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 16

West End CABARET Revival (and B’way Transfer?) - News & Discussion Thread

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#375West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 12/30/22 at 10:30am

The Mendes production was groundbreaking, but every professional production wants to take it a step further with the sex and shock value.  I never got that impression during the current London revival, and was grateful Frecknall and company took it in a refreshing direction.  The result is a stellar production of one of the best musicals of all time.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#377West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/3/23 at 8:46pm

east side story said: "The Mendes production was groundbreaking, but every professional production wants to take it a step further with the sex and shock value. I never got that impression during the current London revival"

This gives me the most hope that I will enjoy this production. I feel like this has been the overall trend in revivals of many shows lately - 'darker, sexier, GRITTIER". It's not always a bad idea but it is becoming a bit of a cliche. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#378West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/10/23 at 7:59am

New Cast Announced!

Emcee: John McCrea 

Sally Bowles: Aimee Lou Wood

Cliff: Nathan Ives-Mobia

Their run is February 13 to May 27

Emily Benjamin and Matt Gent will cover the leading roles full time from January 30 - February 11

https://instagram.com/kitkatclubldn?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

binau Profile Photo
binau
#379West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:36pm

I may have to finally make a return visit! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#380West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:37pm

VERY excited to see John next month!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#381West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:55pm

John McCrea is kind of obvious and inspired casting at the same time. What a great idea.

Dylan Smith4
#382West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/10/23 at 6:07pm

Jordan Catalano said: "VERY excited to see John next month!"

Please let me know what you think of his performance! I am a big fan of John as well!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#383West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/15/23 at 1:32pm

I’m curious if Paul Mescal and Daisy Edgar Jones have been approached yet to do Cabaret together, I’m sure that would go over well. Not saying they would do it in New York, but just in general.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#384West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/15/23 at 2:33pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I’m curious if Paul Mescal and Daisy Edgar Jones have been approached yet to do Cabaret together, I’m sure that would go over well. Not saying they would do it in New York, but just in general."

I would love to see that. Daisy will probably be in the throes of shooting Beautiful: The Carole King Movie Musical (my unofficial title haha) by the time she'd be approached or be able to do any sort of theatre production.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#385West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/17/23 at 9:12am

I would rather another remounting of the sam mendes Cabaret, which is far superior.

east side story
#386West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/17/23 at 9:37am

Broadway Flash said: "I would rather another remounting of the sam mendes Cabaret, which is far superior."

I think most of us are all set on the Mendes production.  I can respect the artistry and it’s place in theatre history, but let’s put the kibosh on that iteration.

Owen22
#387West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:09am

Hey! Let's also give some love to Aimee Lou Wood who is wonderful in Sex Education and was a magnificent Sonya in Uncle Vanya.

east side story
#388West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/19/23 at 6:52pm

Cast recording officially drops in a few hours.  If you stream on Spotify, there is some footage of Buckley’s performance of the title number.

CATSNYrevival
#389West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/19/23 at 8:29pm

Still wish they would have included the Entr’acte at least for the digital release but I will stream it and give it another listen when it drops.

Dylan Smith4
#390West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/19/23 at 9:45pm

I am so happy that everyone will finally get to hear this beautiful recording! It's truly one of a kind!

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#391West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/20/23 at 8:25am

Absolutely blown away by this recording, WOW

Redmayne sounds fantastic, and Buckley is truly sublime. Praying they come to Broadway in this production!

Dylan Smith4
#392West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/20/23 at 8:40am

I am so happy this is finally available on music streaming platforms! WOW, this recording is just a masterpiece! Kander and Ebb's score is a masterpiece in its own way but this new cast recording has made me love Cabaret even more! I really hope they announce a Broadway transfer soon!

barcelona20
#393West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/20/23 at 9:24am

thirtythirtyninety said: "Absolutely blown away by this recording, WOW

Redmayne sounds fantastic, and Buckley is truly sublime. Praying they come to Broadway in this production!
"

I'll never understand anyone who likes Redmayne's singing. Sounds like Kermit the Frog trying way too hard.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#394West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/20/23 at 10:15am

Lots of shouting, ad libs and forced character voices on this album. It’s not much fun to listen to. Luckily there are many recordings of this score to choose from.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#395West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/20/23 at 4:14pm

I agree with MrsSallyAdams, i've heard better.  I'm not into all the constant shouting, and I agree that Eddie sounds like kermit.  Does anyone know what he says in the opening when he's introducing the cabaret girl from America. "Texas is from America, and I love..."  What does he say?

east side story
#396West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/20/23 at 4:34pm

The recording is wonderful, and a terrific representation of this exquisite production.  If you’re looking to hear Grey, there are a quarter dozen professional recordings with his portrayal.  Or if you are longing for Mendes vision and Cumming’s almost German accent, have at it.  I am sure seeing this production aides in one’s ability to thoroughly enjoy the record, however the goods are still there for us all.

I have been saying this since last winter, but New York would be lucky to have this transfer. 

CATSNYrevival
#397West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/20/23 at 5:10pm

Broadway Flash said: "Does anyone know what he says in the opening when he's introducing the cabaret girl from America. "Texas is from America, and I love..." What does he say?"

Texas is from America and I love a good yank.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#398West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/20/23 at 5:41pm

As someone who thought Amy Lennox's performance at the Olivier Awards last year was way too over-the-top, it's nice to hear that Jessie Buckley's bears little resemblance to it.

lopside
#399West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 1/20/23 at 6:27pm

Just saw the Redmayne listening party video and it was a wonderful thing. He did mention von Karajan so I'm feeling so pleased with myself for catching that reference in the production.