pixeltracker

West End CABARET Revival (and B’way Transfer?) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 22

West End CABARET Revival (and B’way Transfer?) - News & Discussion Thread

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#525West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/3/23 at 5:18pm

Well that would be underwhelming for some reason.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#526West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/3/23 at 6:05pm

Broadway Flash said: "Which name?"

One of the Sally’s.

starlightlocamotion
#527West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/3/23 at 6:47pm

My money is on Diamond. She will be sensational. Likely earn her second nomination & possibly win.

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#528West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/3/23 at 10:11pm

Milioti would absolutely kill it as Sally in this production, a very very very exciting prospect!

Observation
#529West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 1:12am

I would love to see Micala Diamond in it. Fingers crossed for her. 

lopside
#530West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 4:39am

What is the possibility of the OG Schneider and Schultz, Liza Sadovy and Elliot Levy getting the Broadway run? I’m sure there are equally talented other actors to be found, but much harder to hit on two with their kind of chemistry. Perfectly matched in humor and warmth and passion, they made the dynamic seem entirely new.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#531West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 9:44am

Personally love the idea of Michaela but all 3 are great, and indeed very unique!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#532West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 10:09am

I think had MIchaela won the Tony, it would make sense, I think they want this to be an "event" much Lea joining Funny Girl, so they need to get a group together that would have people throwing money at the box office. Not sure if any of those 3 would cause that but they're all sensational. 

Owen22
#533West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 12:13pm

jkcohen626 said: "Adrienne would kill it. But, to me, Sally's naivete and lack of care come across much stronger and work better if she is white and it is her white privilege that affords her the ability to be naive and not to care. I think especially with the choice to make Cliff Black in this production, there is a strong contrast implied where the color of his skin makes it so he does not have the luxury of just standing by while she does.

I don't know if any of this has really been thought out by the creative team or if it's just my read. But, to the best of my knowledge, every Sally in this production has been white and every Cliff Black.
"

Okay. One more time.  Even if Adrienne plays Sally, Sally will be white.  Along with pretending to be a 30's English chanteuse in pre-WW2 Berlin, Adrienne will also be pretending to be white.  That is what colorblind casting is (unless it's specifically referenced, such as in Encore's Light in the Piazza)!  It's a person of color pretending to be white.  These colorblind cast pieces tend to be historically set, where no person of color would ever be, or be able to do the things the plot requests of them.  For some reason it is illiberal to mention this when talking about colorblind casting, but this is usually EXACTLY WHAT IT  IS!  Most every actor in Hamilton was pretending to be white, right?  We seem to agree on that one because it makes a political point. I argue letting a person of color play a role that, up until recently, they would never have been able to play because the character is white, is also a political point!

Updated On: 7/4/23 at 12:13 PM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#534West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 2:01pm

My argument is that this production has not been colorblind casting. They have been intentional about the races of all 5 main characters plus Ludwig and Kost. Cliff has been Black, Schultz a white Jew, and the rest white in the original cast and for every replacement. 

In contrast to the leads, the ensemble has very purposefully been populated diversely, both in terms of race and gender identity. This production at its core is about the dangers of uniformity and assimilation and one of the ways it accentuates that is by making the ensemble as diverse as possible. They want to accentuate their differences from the broader Berlin, as represented by Schneider, Kost, and Ludwig. 

Rebecca Frecknall and the design team have clearly painstakingly thought out each element of the visual design of this production. They have clearly thought out what you are looking at literally and what that means metaphorically. 

It's color-conscious casting even if there are POC playing white people. 

Updated On: 7/4/23 at 02:01 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#535West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 4:29pm

Alex M said: "From what I have heard, one of those names is a lock."

From my industry sources, hearing Michaela Diamond

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#536West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 5:02pm

I'm hearing such mixed things that I'm starting to decide against going to see this in London, but I also know it won't cost an arm and a leg over there.

I actually follow Jelani Alladin on Instagram and he just posted on his story about walking out at intermission and I was like "Yikes"

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Robbie516
#537West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 5:24pm

I’m thinking an announcement is imminent anyone agree  

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#538West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 7:26pm

quizking101 said: "I'm hearing such mixed things that I'm starting to decide against going to see this in London, but I also know it won't cost an arm and a leg over there.

I actually follow Jelani Alladin on Instagram and he just posted on his story about walking out at intermission and I was like "Yikes"
"

I find it weird that a fellow actor would post about walking out of a show. Kinda distasteful IMO. Also, what about this version makes it so different than what he possibly expected?

Robbie516
#539West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 8:00pm

If it is Micaela Diamond I wonder how the billing will work…I would assume only Redmayne above the title like the music man with jackman and foster right underneath 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#540West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 8:20pm

DramaTeach said: "quizking101 said: "I'm hearing such mixed things that I'm starting to decide against going to see this in London, but I also know it won't cost an arm and a leg over there.

"

I find it weird that a fellow actor would post about walking out of a show. Kinda distasteful IMO. Also, what about this version makes it so different than what he possibly expected?
"

Yeah, I think that's in pretty poor taste. Especially to post about it.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#541West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 8:29pm

I find it weird that a fellow actor would post about walking out of a show. Kinda distasteful IMO. Also, what about this version makes it so different than what he possibly expected?"

Good thing it's none of your business? He has the right to have an opinion, just like everyone else does. He didn't care for it. He did not diss any aspect of this production, he simply said the production wasn't for him. This is a non event with absolutely no drama. 

blasvader
#542West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 8:50pm

Sutton Ross said: "I find it weird that a fellow actor would post about walking out of a show. Kinda distasteful IMO. Also, what about this version makes it so different than what he possibly expected?"

Good thing it's none of your business? He has the right to have an opinion, just like everyone else does. He didn't care for it. He did not diss any aspect of this production, he simply said the production wasn't for him. This is a non event with absolutely no drama.

"

It's common courtesy. He didn't have to post that he walked out, just as a mark of respect for the work it takes it to perform the show. 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#543West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 9:10pm

Sutton Ross said: "I find it weird that a fellow actor would post about walking out of a show. Kinda distasteful IMO. Also, what about this version makes it so different than what he possibly expected?"

"

Of course he’s entitled to his opinion, but as a fellow performer, I don’t think it needed to be posted. Once he posted it, he made it everyone’s business. How would he feel if his fellow performers posted that about his show? It’s just my opinion. I’m entitled to one too, no? That’s what you said.

Sutton Ross
#544West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 9:34pm

It's common courtesy. He didn't have to post that he walked out, just as a mark of respect for the work it takes it to perform the show."

Nah, it's common courtesy for you, but you don't get to decide what is courteous when you don't know someone or their experience. He expressed his opinion politely. Don't read his stories or follow him if you don't like what he has to say. It will save you bitching time. 

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#545West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 9:35pm

Sutton Ross said: "It's common courtesy. He didn't have to post that he walked out, just as a mark of respect for the work it takes it to perform the show."

Nah, it's common courtesy for you, but you don't get to decide what is courteous when you don't know someone or their experience. He expressed his opinion politely. Don't read his stories or follow him if you don't like what he has to say. It will save you bitching time.

get a life

"

Sutton Ross
#546West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 9:39pm

That's all you ever say on this board and it's absolutely delightful. Kiss Kiss. 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#547West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 9:45pm

Sutton Ross said: "It's common courtesy. He didn't have to post that he walked out, just as a mark of respect for the work it takes it to perform the show."

"

So weird because you disprove your point with every response. You tell me now to read his posts if I don’t like his opinion, but same. And this is one opinion that I disagree with, so I’m not allowed to voice it when he’s voiced his? I’m sure you’re a lovely person; I’m sure he’s a lovely person. I’m not here to argue. Was just adding my own opinion to what he said. Have a nice night.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#548West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 10:02pm

Sutton Ross said: "That's all you ever say on this board and it's absolutely delightful. Kiss Kiss."

im sure its flattering to know that i rarely write on here unless its to tell you to get a life :)

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#549West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/4/23 at 11:44pm

Robbie516 said: "I’m thinking an announcement is imminent anyone agree"

I think they announce as soon as papers are signed for their Sally. 

Regarding billing, I think Micaela Diamond has a fantastic team working for her and I think they will get her above the title. She's above the title in Parade and, overall, Sutton being bellow the title seems to be the exception not the rule for revivals these days. Both leads for Sweeney, the whole Funny Girl supporting cast (oddly), and the whole Into the Woods leading cast have all been above the title. TBH, it sounds like they've had a hard time getting their Sally, so I wouldn't be surprised if they folded on above the title just to make sure they could lock her down (not that we'd ever know). 

Looking back at all four productions so far, nobody is actually above the title in the Playbill or poster for the original, but Joel Grey was notoriously billed alongside the actors playing Kost and Ludwig while the 2 couples both receive more prominent billing. In 1987, the Playbill featured Joel Grey, Cabaret, and Alyson Reed in that order all in the same size font (Music Man-style) while Grey and Cabaret were much larger on the poster. The 1998 revival featured Cumming, Richardson, and Rifkin all above the title and, finally, the 2014 revival featured just Cumming and Williams. 

Latest Posts

Videos