pixeltracker

West End CABARET Revival (and B’way Transfer?) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 23

West End CABARET Revival (and B’way Transfer?) - News & Discussion Thread

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#550West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/5/23 at 12:06am

Regarding Jelani Aladdin, it is 100% within his right to not like a production and 100% within his right to walk out. But, I do think it's WEIRD for him to post about how he was "SO EXCITED" and that Cabaret "never gets old" and then immediately ditch it. 

It is also definitely disrespectful as an actor to be posting about ditching other actors' work. I'd argue there's a different standard. There's a newish Gen Z trend in response to people oversharing on the internet called "BRING BACK SECRETS," because not everything needs to go on the internet. I'd say this applies here. Leave the show if you want, don't drag it on social media for no reason. 

Personally, I also think it makes him come across as phony. His first post touches on the importance of the messaging. In my opinion, it's not a great look to publically share that you didn't stick around for the act that actually features all of it. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#551West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/5/23 at 9:18am

Of course she'll be above the title. She's above the title on Parade. Why, when playing Sally Bowles, would she suddenly not be?

She'll be to the right of Eddie, but she'll be above the title.

mshalo18
#552West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/5/23 at 10:11am

I think people are underestimating Micaela's ability to draw in ticket buyers. Accent aside (which frankly, didn't bother me), she gives a stellar performance in Parade, and is the heart of the show. To my knowledge, she has not missed a single performance. Why WOULDN'T she be above the title? She will undoubtedly receive a Tony nomination, and has a good shot at winning. 

Question is- I thought Cabaret was looking at the August Wilson, and not the Hudson (although I think the Hudson is probably a better venue).

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#553West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/5/23 at 10:20am

I'll never understand that opinion of "She's amazing (even thought her accent sucks)." Like, that is all encompassed by the performance. So if the accent sucks, that means the performance isn't 100% there. Give her a better dialect coach or something. 

And no she will not bring in the crowds. She's crazy talented, but tourists from Ohio aren't snatching up tickets to see her. She seems to be the new "It girl" and that's great, but she's not drawing in ticket buyers outside of this board/the theater community just yet.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#554West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/6/23 at 6:14pm

Saw the show again tonight. Still, BY FAR, the best thing I’ve ever seen on ANY stage, West End or Broadway! I went back specifically to see Emily Benjamin as Sally! Once again, that woman delivers a performance that NO ONE SHOULD MISS!!!!! I’m telling you, specifically to the Producers who are involved with hopefully transferring this to Broadway, PLEASE have Emily come over! More people need to see her performance! Plus, I’m sure they will be looking for someone to be an Alternate Sally and cover Matinees. She’s the best one for the job in my opinion! Overall, this show is still a magical experience and I will always cherish the memories that I made with this magical show! Can’t believe my London journey is almost coming to an end but I’ll always cherish the memories I made here! I’m gonna make the next 2 weeks here the best ever! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#556West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/7/23 at 8:30pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Saw the show again tonight. Still, BY FAR, the best thing I’ve ever seen on ANY stage, West End or Broadway! I went back specifically to see Emily Benjamin as Sally! Once again, that woman delivers a performance that NO ONE SHOULD MISS!!!!! I’m telling you, specifically to the Producers who are involved with hopefully transferring this to Broadway, PLEASE have Emily come over! More people need to see her performance! Plus, I’m sure they will be looking for someone to be an Alternate Sally and cover Matinees. She’s the best one for the job in my opinion! Overall, this show is still a magical experience and I will always cherish the memories that I made with this magical show! Can’t believe my London journey is almost coming to an end but I’ll always cherish the memories I made here! I’m gonna make the next 2 weeks here the best ever!"

I bet your dreading your return to the US as you seem to have grown to hate it per your continuous rants of dislike! Btw, Glad you enjoyed Emily Benjamin but she won't be playing Sally on Broadway as it's cast and not with her.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#557West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 10:22am

I feel like I've gone down the rabbit hole whenever I check this thread. Posters I've always thought as both civil and perspicacious are saying really bizarre things.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#558West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 11:09am

The fact this thread is already so unhinged makes me dread what will happen when this production actually starts performances, wherever and with whomever it ends up. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#559West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/10/23 at 11:00pm

👀 👀 👀

willkommen bienvenue, welcome...... Updated On: 7/10/23 at 11:00 PM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#560West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/11/23 at 12:31am

Ugh, the Cabaret website is broken!

If you go to kitkat.club, it just takes you to a 404 page with the url kitkat.club/cabaret-broadway 

How annoying!

Updated On: 7/11/23 at 12:31 AM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#561West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/11/23 at 8:05am

BroadwayWorld just confirmed! IT’S COMING TO NYC! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

lopside
#562West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/11/23 at 8:07am

Have a feeling that they actually haven´t found their Sally yet

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#563West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/11/23 at 8:09am

We got until spring of next year. Let them take their time

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#564West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/11/23 at 8:28am

Kad said: "The fact this thread is already so unhinged makes me dread what will happen when this production actually starts performances, wherever and with whomever it ends up."

It is a solid production, but not if the expectations are out of this orbit. It is powerful but modest in presentation compared to the Mendes version.

Just like any other Frecknall show, you can't go in with expectations or the magic is gone. Don't hype this.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 7/11/23 at 08:28 AM

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#565West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/11/23 at 8:32am

I agree that the announcement minus any casting (even Redmayne) likely means they have not locked in their Sally Bowles, but happy to see it is coming.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#566West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/11/23 at 8:52am

Updated On: 7/11/23 at 08:52 AM

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#567West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/11/23 at 8:54am

Alex M said: "Alex M said: "👀 👀 👀 willkommen bienvenue, welcome......"

hehe...

Really excited for this ! Scared about the prices though!

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#568West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 7/11/23 at 9:56am

WldKingdomHM said: "We got until spring of next year. Let them take their time"

Yeah, freaking Harmony, which had their full main cast locked in last Fall teased out each casting announcement. Teasing out casting gets you press and keeps you relevant, which a show announcing 8 months before it starts previews start probably wants! 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#570West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 8/14/23 at 9:40pm

Wow. The casting for this has been nothing short of stellar.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#571West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 8/21/23 at 12:51pm

TaffyDavenport said: "https://theatrefan.co.uk/jake-shears-self-esteem-announced-to-star-in-west-end-production-of-cabaret/

West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
"

Jake was a let down in Kinky Boots. Couldn't sing the score, was winded throughout and the acting was non-existent. The emcee is certainly in his wheelhouse. but I hope he has an acting coach. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

JSquared2
#572West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 8/21/23 at 12:56pm

Bettyboy72 said: Jake was a let down in Kinky Boots. Couldn't sing the score, was winded throughout and the acting was non-existent. The emcee is certainly in his wheelhouse. but I hope he has an acting coach."

Whaaa??  Are you sure you actually saw him in the show?  He seemed more than capable when I saw him.

yyys
#573West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 8/21/23 at 1:15pm

Jake is also a letdown (most of the time) when Scissor Sisters performed their songs live.

blasvader
#574West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 8/21/23 at 1:23pm

Jake's voice is such a pop voice. I just can't imagine him filling up the space on certain songs. Can only imagine him on Two Ladies. 

Also don't think he's quite the draw they probably hoped for him to be. I just looked at sales, expecting at least a couple of shows of his limited run to be sold out, but there's not one, not even close. 

Updated On: 8/21/23 at 01:23 PM

Latest Posts