pixeltracker

West End CABARET Revival (and B’way Transfer?) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 3

West End CABARET Revival (and B’way Transfer?) - News & Discussion Thread

binau Profile Photo
binau
#50West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/10/22 at 6:46pm

Mmm I’d say a tad below mid-sized especially if they try the ‘immersive’ bits again (not as cheap/simple as the Sam Mendes production). With the economics of Broadway I can’t help but think it would seem difficult to make any actual money if Eddie Redmayne didn’t commit to 6 months though. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/10/22 at 06:46 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#51West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/10/22 at 6:47pm

Mmm I’d say a tad below mid-sized especially if they try the ‘immersive’ bits again (not as cheap/simple as the Sam Mendes production). With the economics of Broadway I can’t help but think it would seem difficult to make any actual money if Eddie Redmayne didn’t commit to 6 months though. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/10/22 at 06:47 PM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#52West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/10/22 at 6:56pm

binau said: "Mmm I’d say mid-sized especially if they try the ‘immersive’ bits again (not as cheap/simple as the Sam Mendes production). With the economics of Broadway I can’t help but think it would seem difficult to make any actual money if Eddie Redmayne didn’t commit to 6 months though."

Plus in London that's one of the few theaters that required recent negative covid test (rapid antigen) from all audience members regardless of vaccination. Part of the reasoning for this is the immersion/intimacy of the show and food was served to some of the table seats. I wonder if they'd implement that same policy on Broadway.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#53West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/10/22 at 6:59pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Considering Eddie and Jessie have both won Olivier’s for their performances, I find it unlikely they’d be replaced if this transfers over."

At this point it’s when, not if. Especially after such a dominant showing at the Oliviers.

Oh look, a bibu!

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#54West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/10/22 at 7:01pm

I have trouble seeing it on Broadway before next Spring and, while we've learned to expect anything over the last two years, I also don't see there really being m/any COVID policies left by then. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#55West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/10/22 at 8:58pm

After the big wins at the Oliviers, it will only be a matter of time before this comes to Broadway.

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#56West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/11/22 at 10:33am

After attending last weekend, the only theater on Broadway I can see retaining the tiny scale of the production is the Hayes and charge 400+ ticket like they do in London. It is when I saw the inside that I understood the ticket prices, it is the only way to sustain the show with big names.

Someone correct me if Im wrong, but the Playhouse in London doesn't hold more than 500 audience members. The production is so small that it makes the Mendes Cabaret look like an overproduced mega spectacle.

Making the production bigger for Broadway would kill it. The cast BARELY fits on that stage. In fact, a lot of impressive moments from the choreography don't come from the intricacy but as to how they manage to dance and move without hitting each other.

Can move to Broadway but this is an Off Off Broadway approach to staging the musical.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 4/11/22 at 10:33 AM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#57West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/11/22 at 10:36am

RippedMan said: "For such a small show, it's actually quite big, yes? The set is a turntable/elevator? And all the backstage stuff. I was going to say they could do a prestigious non-profit off-Broadway and do a limited run, but this seems more like a commercial route."

No, it's VERY small. Very. There is also no backstage stuff, it's the illusion that you're going into an underground bar, is all.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Dylan Smith4
#58West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/11/22 at 10:59am

The Hayes is way too small. The Hudson is the only theatre I can see working to incorporate the set as well as the large lobbies. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

binau Profile Photo
binau
#59West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/11/22 at 11:27am

The stage is physically small but I don't think the production is small in a 'cheap' like off off off broadway way for the below reasons. Of course they could save costs by just changing the production it's not as if they HAVE to do it: 

* Expense of turning the theatre into 'the round' (I assume this is one of the single biggest expenses and they could save a load of money not doing this/restaging the show) 
* Expense of building and maintaining the turntable + raised platform piece(s)
* Expense of building the 'immersive' lobbys & bars
* Expense of costumes 

Updated On: 4/11/22 at 11:27 AM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#60West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/11/22 at 12:15pm

binau said: "The stage is physically small but I don't think the production is small in a 'cheap' like off off off broadway way for the below reasons. Of course they could save costs by just changing the production it's not as if they HAVE to do it:

* Expense of turning the theatre into 'the round' (I assume this is one of the single biggest expenses and they could save a load of money not doing this/restaging the show)
* Expense of building and maintaining the turntable + raised platform piece(s)
* Expense of building the 'immersive' lobbys & bars
* Expense of costumes
"

Yes, I just assume that for Broadway they would have to either have more seats, which will result in the physical production being bigger  OR  keep the size and charge an arm and a leg like in London.

I really don't see them keeping the small physical size of it for Broadway, which will be a shame.

willep
#61West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/13/22 at 11:04am

Wow, the performance of the title song, i presume from the Olivier’s, is stunning.

JasonC3
#62West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/16/22 at 6:07pm

Nice interview with Fra Fee about taking on the Emcee role, among other things.

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#63West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/16/22 at 6:33pm

I’m not overly familiar with this production, but I do love Cabaret so any chance to see it would be worth it. That being said, I’m hearing small and in the round being used to describe this- is that not Circle in the Square? They also have a lobby that leads right into the theatre. I’m also assuming that the space could be converted as desired, many shows have done so with that space. Would it work there? 

Dylan Smith4
#64West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/18/22 at 5:37pm

Phillytheatreguy10 said: "I’m not overly familiar with this production, but I do love Cabaret so any chance to see it would be worth it. That being said, I’m hearing small and in the round being used to describe this- is that not Circle in the Square? They also have a lobby that leads right into the theatre. I’m also assuming that the space could be converted as desired, many shows have done so with that space. Would it work there?"

Circle In The Square would work, but there would not be a lot of seats and they would have to charge an arm and a leg. No one would buy tickets. Plus, KPOP is going to Circle In The Square this fall. I have said it before, the Hudson is perfect for this version of Cabaret. They can really go all-in for the auditorium and give it that "in-the-round" look. The lobbies and lounges would also be perfect! The only catch is who would be in the starring roles because this show has to sell big time. I can see Eddie coming over, but Jessie Buckley is pretty booked up solid with two new films she's starring in. Some people on here said she's a bit over-the-top as Sally. Maybe someone like Lilly James. I think now that this revival won big at the Oliviers, it's only a matter of time before a Broadway transfer is announced. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#65West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/18/22 at 5:44pm

Well maybe when Beanie is done with Fanny, she can be Sally. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#66West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/18/22 at 5:50pm

It really is an Incredible production. Can see it working in the Hudson, but I also believe they can do Interesting things with The Broadway given it’s size an lobby. My first choice, which won’t happen for obvious reasons, would be the Beaumont. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#67West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/18/22 at 6:05pm

Broadway is way too big. I think the Hudson is the perfect size and the overhangs don't block a lot of the views from the upper audiences, so they could make that work

Dylan Smith4
#68West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/18/22 at 7:36pm

RippedMan said: "Broadway is way too big. I think the Hudson is the perfect size and the overhangs don't block a lot of the views from the upper audiences, so they could make that work"

Agreed! The Hudson is VERY intimate! I just hope they can build the set perfectly and not have any obstructions. 

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#69West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/21/22 at 4:19pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/kitkatclubLDN/status/1517190615934644226

Some official pictures of the theatre after the refurbishment 

SisterGeorge
#70West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/22/22 at 1:53pm

A question for anyone who has seen this production. I'll be there in July after the current leads have left and I haven't yet seen any official info or rumors on new casting. In your opinion, is this an essential production that needs to be seen regardless of who's in it? I saw the Mendes with the original cast a couple of times in NYC and on tour with Hatcher and NLB (even getting to dance with him briefly), and of course the movie countless times, so yes, I love the piece.

The performance I'm looking at has center stalls in the first non-table row. Seems like a great location if I don't want the dinner and drinks packages?

Sister George

MadsonMelo
#71West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/22/22 at 2:21pm

Anyone who has seen the production can give me a detailed/spoiled comment about the “Money” number, the costume is outstanding and I heard it had a very interesting entrance by Emcee, would Love to know it all

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#72West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/22/22 at 2:23pm

Def seems like a must-see. 

Now having seen the pictures, how much was refurbished? Like were the walls re-painted, all the molding redone? 

JasonC3
#73West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/22/22 at 3:18pm

You can find comments about the new cast over at theatreboard.uk.co

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#74West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/22/22 at 3:55pm

SisterGeorge said: "A question for anyone who has seen this production. I'll be there in July after the current leads have left and I haven't yet seen any official info or rumors on new casting. In your opinion, is this an essential production that needs to be seen regardless of who's in it? I saw the Mendes with the original cast a couple of times in NYC and on tour with Hatcher and NLB (even getting to dance with him briefly), and of course the movie countless times, so yes, I love the piece.

The performance I'm looking at has center stalls in the first non-table row. Seems like a great location if I don't want the dinner and drinks packages?

"

I asked the same question before attending, I saw the Mendes quite a few times.

Is it essential?  I would define it as a very raw and minimalistic approach to the piece.  Think of it as if method creators took on the musical. It's unsassuming, which contradicts with the ticket prices. The theater is so small that I would go by price, more than location.

To me, the "immersive" part of it was unnecessary and unsuccessful. 

Is it worth watching?  Definitely.